UK Manchester Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: UK Manchester Match Thread

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:16 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
My opinion wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:Delighted we beat SCUM today. Shows how far we've come. MG still motivating the players - as are the players themselves.

I hope we win the playoffs to highlight the oddities / inflexibility of the governing bodies of the game.

Living in Scotland you would not believe how the SFA bend over backwards to accommodate the ugly sisters up here....before then bending over and taking it sideways without a whimper.
Don't know where you get the "SCUM' name from and I think it is uncalled for.Thought their fans were very friendly today and also credit to them for singing throughout the game.
OK - fair enough and I'm tainted by their "fans" during a visit to Garforth FC a few years ago. If you think the reports from our recent trouble was bad - their element that day in Garforth was hard core. Mass brawls in the stands and bar during the game and plod was well and truly out in force with horses the lot. They have an 'element' that you would not want to welcome.
I think you are right,had a nasty bunch.The "element" were in effect man united hooligans that I think have now got bored with mid table obscurity / same days out and moved on.Only 207 there today which you could have trebled a couple or three years ago.
287 was the figure for away fans today, I was disappointed to be honest but I guess as you say they have had a couple of years of mid-table and financial/board challenges.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Is there any catering or refreshments for away fans when they are segregated like today? Apparently some of the FCUM fans were very disappointed that they couldn't drink in the bar before the game, saying that normally clubs open extra bars when FCUM come to town. A good away following is likely to spend good money on beer.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:26 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
My opinion wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:Delighted we beat SCUM today. Shows how far we've come. MG still motivating the players - as are the players themselves.

I hope we win the playoffs to highlight the oddities / inflexibility of the governing bodies of the game.

Living in Scotland you would not believe how the SFA bend over backwards to accommodate the ugly sisters up here....before then bending over and taking it sideways without a whimper.
Don't know where you get the "SCUM' name from and I think it is uncalled for.Thought their fans were very friendly today and also credit to them for singing throughout the game.
OK - fair enough and I'm tainted by their "fans" during a visit to Garforth FC a few years ago. If you think the reports from our recent trouble was bad - their element that day in Garforth was hard core. Mass brawls in the stands and bar during the game and plod was well and truly out in force with horses the lot. They have an 'element' that you would not want to welcome.
I think you are right,had a nasty bunch.The "element" were in effect man united hooligans that I think have now got bored with mid table obscurity / same days out and moved on.Only 207 there today which you could have trebled a couple or three years ago.
I am right mate. Must've been 5 years ago plus when they rocked up at Garforth and brought approx 2000. Turned a family planned day of football fun - bouncy castles, face painting etc - back into the 80's. Sounds like the idiots back then have got bored - let's hope it stays that way.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Yarblockos wrote:Is there any catering or refreshments for away fans when they are segregated like today? Apparently some of the FCUM fans were very disappointed that they couldn't drink in the bar before the game, saying that normally clubs open extra bars when FCUM come to town. A good away following is likely to spend good money on beer.
There was trestle table catering.

Not sure how we are supposed to magic up an extra bar and given we don't get much of a cut from rugby club re bar sales not much incentive for club to do anything about it.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Yarblockos wrote:Is there any catering or refreshments for away fans when they are segregated like today? Apparently some of the FCUM fans were very disappointed that they couldn't drink in the bar before the game, saying that normally clubs open extra bars when FCUM come to town. A good away following is likely to spend good money on beer.
By all accounts refreshments were available for them but not allowed in the bar.

When we went to FC Utd we were not allowed in their bar, although we were assigned a local club which had a bar not far from the ground.

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Great performance from the team, despite the boardroom upheaval earlier in the day. The atmosphere was great too with the Shed in good voice in various parts of the game.

I thought everyone was excellent and credit to Martin Gray for his professionalism in having the lads ready to put on a display like that

I personally felt a bit despondent prior to the game. We're run by a team of volunteers at all levels off the pitch and in my opinion, they deserve some leeway when things go wrong.

Am I 'pissed off' at the playoff decision ? ... yes .... but the negative reaction to those who 'run' our club has bordered on the hysterical by some of our so called 'fans' on facebook, twitter and to a lesser extent on this forum.

Clearly there is a lot to discuss on Friday at the fans meeting. I suspect this issue will overshadow the next round of fund raising initiatives and the club's plans going forward which are expected to be announced.

Whilst there is a 'faint' hope of a last minute reprieve at the FA, it looks like we'll be National League North again next year.

We shouldn't forget how far and how quickly we've come since the summer of 2012

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:58 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
My opinion wrote:

I am right mate. Must've been 5 years ago plus when they rocked up at Garforth and brought approx 2000. Turned a family planned day of football fun - bouncy castles, face painting etc - back into the 80's. Sounds like the idiots back then have got bored - let's hope it stays that way.
Think most have moved on,seen similar myself,they were ex united hoolies who just found something to attach to.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:00 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
My opinion wrote:

287 was the figure for away fans today, I was disappointed to be honest but I guess as you say they have had a couple of years of mid-table and financial/board challenges.
I was told 207 by a mate there but you are never wrong,thats not bad support but poor for them on past records.

DHB

Post by DHB » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:34 pm

Well done today, thoroughly deserved victory and I think your lads probably took their foot off the pedal a bit at 3 up and coasting. Judging on that performance I expect you to be up at the top next year. That no 9 of yours is a fair unit as well!

Regarding what has been mentioned about Garforth, I think what has been neglected to be mentioned is that Leeds fans rocked up with the intention of causing trouble, as they have on more than one occasion when we have played in Yorkshire.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:37 pm

I really enjoyed today's match. Darlington were off the blocks like greyhounds, scored thrilling goals and exuded sheer class. The other side were made to look very ordinary. I was concerned they were allowed back in to the game towards the end but by then the job was done. I don't think l've seen us play that well since the League Cup tie with Everton in 1969.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:I really enjoyed today's match. Darlington were off the blocks like greyhounds, scored thrilling goals and exuded sheer class. The other side were made to look very ordinary. I was concerned they were allowed back in to the game towards the end but by then the job was done. I don't think l've seen us play that well since the League Cup tie with Everton in 1969.
Guess you have missed a few games since, Whitby last season for an easy example!

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Now that was a game and a half today and in the last few games we have been playing more football and are looking a really good side hope we can keep squad together for next season

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:00 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Now that was a game and a half today and in the last few games we have been playing more football and are looking a really good side hope we can keep squad together for next season
Yep we have been decent the last few games and our form in terms of results have been very good in this run-in, which is typical Gray.

Massive shame the way the season will end and keeping the squad together for next season is a challenge for Gray.

I am still on the positive side for next season, we will be called Darlington and we are back playing in Darlo, hopefully with a top 5 squad again and further work on the ground.

I do like to look on the positive side of things at times, I just don't see the point in dwelling on the negatives.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:03 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Now that was a game and a half today and in the last few games we have been playing more football and are looking a really good side hope we can keep squad together for next season
Yep we have been decent the last few games and our form in terms of results have been very good in this run-in, which is typical Gray.

Massive shame the way the season will end and keeping the squad together for next season is a challenge for Gray.

I am still on the positive side for next season, we will be called Darlington and we are back playing in Darlo, hopefully with a top 5 squad again and further work on the ground.

I do like to look on the positive side of things at times, I just don't see the point in dwelling on the negatives.
We still have an appeal outstanding, we all know it is a slim chance but nonetheless it is a chance.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:10 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

We still have an appeal outstanding, we all know it is a slim chance but nonetheless it is a chance.
We do, sadly I don't fancy our chances. I hope to be proved wrong and totally shocked.

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:33 pm

jjljks wrote:First 30 mins were nearly as good as Whitby away last season. Thought I might have spotted Ginge01 who would have been well pleased with this display. Decent crowd 2147 and some spells of decent football. Well done lads! :clap:
I was well pleased, I wish I knew what you look like :) I was there wearing a New York Mets cap :) I will be there on Saturday too

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
jjljks wrote:

OK, let's get radical & if Scotland get independence, DFC should move to SFA :lol:
Mind, any body has to be better than the English FA as they have no idea about encouraging grass roots football. Our story is so amazing we should sell the film rights to finance the club
No. Let's not. Seriously the SFA make the English FA look competent, clean and bereft of any influence
we would need freemasons on the board. Darlo did the business today, regardless of the board or league. well done guys 6 more points please!

Beano

UK Manchester Match Thread

Post by Beano » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:48 pm

DHB wrote:Well done today, thoroughly deserved victory and I think your lads probably took their foot off the pedal a bit at 3 up and coasting. Judging on that performance I expect you to be up at the top next year. That no 9 of yours is a fair unit as well!

Regarding what has been mentioned about Garforth, I think what has been neglected to be mentioned is that Leeds fans rocked up with the intention of causing trouble, as they have on more than one occasion when we have played in Yorkshire.
That one comment doesn't speak for all of us. I throughly enjoyed our away day at your place and was particularly impressed with your hospitality and general organisation. As the group I travelled with was leaving, we agreed that we would be delighted to achieve the infrastructure that you have built.

Edit: That isn't to criticise our own, either.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:48 am

Will Gray be here? According to NLZ, he has tendered his resignation and is off to Spennymoor to replace Ainsley, who is to be released at the end of the season. :roll:

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:02 am

Hope this is a wind up.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:19 am

Just looked on NLZ and obviously a wind up thank god.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:24 am

Given how much MG is involved financially with Darlington- ie the academy and his salary- the chances of him walking away from Darlington for anything other than a full time highly paid football league job , on a long term contract, is minimal

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:36 am

spen666 wrote:Given how much MG is involved financially with Darlington- ie the academy and his salary- the chances of him walking away from Darlington for anything other than a full time highly paid football league job , on a long term contract, is minimal
Let's hope so. I'd be furious if I was him. I don't think he's the walking away type though; I think he's blessed with that rare quality of loyalty.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Great team performance, given the difficult build up to the game. Clearly Gray is using the difficult situation we are in to motivate the team, to show what we are capable of and get the team as high up the final league table as possible.