BBC story

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DFCSC_1
Team Supported: Darlington

BBC story

Post by DFCSC_1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:15 am

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39641378. I wasn't aware that Hungerford are also in the same predicament as us and Poole.

spen666

Re: BBC story

Post by spen666 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:22 am

Hungerford, whose rise through the non-league pyramid has been equally as fast as Poole's, are also unsure if they will be allowed to compete in the play-offs.

"It's very confusing what the league are asking everyone to do," manager Bobby Wilkinson told BBC Radio Berkshire.

"The league need to come out and clear up what exactly needs to be done. I feel for Poole, as they also don't know what's happening.
They have done mate- the FA published a document in May 2016 ( and previously to that as well)
Promotion and promotion play-offs: To qualify for promotion to the National League by winning the respective NORTH/SOUTH Championship and for the club to participate in the promotion play off matches, the ground must achieve a Category “B” Grading together with 500 seats under cover by 31st March in each season. These seats may be in two stands, with no stand having less than 100 seats.
http://www.thefa.com/get-involved/playe ... nd-grading

I am not sure how much clearer the Hungerford manager wants it to be

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:22 am

Hungerford, whose rise through the non-league pyramid has been equally as fast as Poole's, are also unsure if they will be allowed to compete in the play-offs.

"It's very confusing what the league are asking everyone to do," manager Bobby Wilkinson told BBC Radio Berkshire.

"The league need to come out and clear up what exactly needs to be done. I feel for Poole, as they also don't know what's happening.
They have done mate- the FA published a document in May 2016 ( and previously to that as well)
Promotion and promotion play-offs: To qualify for promotion to the National League by winning the respective NORTH/SOUTH Championship and for the club to participate in the promotion play off matches, the ground must achieve a Category “B” Grading together with 500 seats under cover by 31st March in each season. These seats may be in two stands, with no stand having less than 100 seats.
http://www.thefa.com/get-involved/playe ... nd-grading

I am not sure how much clearer the Hungerford manager wants it to be

coles

Post by coles » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:27 am

what I find fascinating with all these new stories of clubs not being allowed to play due to the ground issues is that it highlights how easy it has been to miss interpret the rules. We have fans who are baying for blood with our board but we are not the only ones who have made this mistake just saying.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:41 am

coles wrote:what I find fascinating with all these new stories of clubs not being allowed to play due to the ground issues is that it highlights how easy it has been to miss interpret the rules. We have fans who are baying for blood with our board but we are not the only ones who have made this mistake just saying.

It highlights how clubs have not bothered to comply with clear and simple rules and now seek to complain when the rules are applied. If you want to take part in a competition it is your responsibility to know the rules.

I am not sure how you misinterpret the rule. It is very clear and in plain English.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:44 am

coles wrote:what I find fascinating with all these new stories of clubs not being allowed to play due to the ground issues is that it highlights how easy it has been to miss interpret the rules. We have fans who are baying for blood with our board but we are not the only ones who have made this mistake just saying.
The ground grading document is clear is the requirements. Reading through it there is no chance of misinterpretation.

Unless the FA/National League have been giving alternative guidance in private to clubs then I can't see how anyone could be confused about what is required to be eligible for promotion if they have read the document.

feethams

Post by feethams » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 am

I don't think the line "in each season" is very clear.

That should say that the club should achieve cat.B in THAT season or before the end of the season. I think a lot of clubs (like us) are under the impression that providing they have planning, they have until 31st March (the next season) to do the work.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:19 am

feethams wrote:I don't think the line "in each season" is very clear.

That should say that the club should achieve cat.B in THAT season or before the end of the season. I think a lot of clubs (like us) are under the impression that providing they have planning, they have until 31st March (the next season) to do the work.

If the directors of any club read it as you state, then they probably should sign up for night classes in English Language.

The reality, whether admitted or not, is that clubs failed to read the regulations properly and assumed they had until the following March to do the work ( as happens at every other step of the pyramid)

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am

And that's exactly where the problem lies. It's like all the league 1 sides making their stadia all seater just in case they go up to the championship. An anomaly that doesn't make sense.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:24 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:And that's exactly where the problem lies. It's like all the league 1 sides making their stadia all seater just in case they go up to the championship. An anomaly that doesn't make sense.
That is why rule is an anomaly and it is why perhaps there should be a campaign to have it changed.

You cannot simply ignore rules you do not like and expect to get away with no sanction especially when your competitors are complying with the rule, however silly the rule is

TDS

Post by TDS » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 am

Whilst I agree it isn't on and is clearly stated in the rules, when the ground was signed off in December, wouldn't there be a little tickle of a mention that we were in the playoff picture, and we wouldn't currently meet the standards?

I've heard somewhere there is an email confirming something other than the rules, but that may just be straws clutched.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:48 am

I think that the rule is forcing clubs with smaller fan base to put seating in place which may never be used because of said fan base numbers, so forcing clubs into paying for said seating there is then no return on the outlay ,which most probably has had to taken as a loan. I just don't see how it can be right to make teams borrow money for something that won't work or repay the loan that would have to be taken by clubs ,to allow the teams progress.just don't think it right to force some clubs into debt, just how I feel on this matter.

quakerfan

Post by quakerfan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:01 pm

A lot of time and energy has gone into debating this issue .
The fact is our position is not in accordance with what the rules require and maybe it is
fair to say that this is a mistake, although I personally think that it is an understandable one . I see no benefit in attacking the board they have done so many things right , perhaps the critics have never made a mistake themselves !
We should move on , I would like to see the team consolidate our position in the playoffs with good results in the remaining games and then let everyone pull together to aim to get the rule changed .We have some natural allies in Poole and Hungerford for a start , it should be a national campaign not a local issue .

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:50 pm

TDS wrote:Whilst I agree it isn't on and is clearly stated in the rules, when the ground was signed off in December, wouldn't there be a little tickle of a mention that we were in the playoff picture, and we wouldn't currently meet the standards?

I've heard somewhere there is an email confirming something other than the rules, but that may just be straws clutched.
Reading between the lines this may be the basis of appeal.

We had the ground graded, the official said "you know you'll need 500 seats for the playoffs", we said "no problem, we've got another 300 seats at Heritage Park we can bring over - is that ok?".

Official says "yes, that's fine if they're e in by 31st March", omitting to ask if they have a roof.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:25 pm

Thank you once again, Spen. I'm fully conversant with the use of the word anomaly. I was merely pointing out the stupidity of the rule.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:37 pm

How did North Ferriby and Solihull gain promotion to the National League?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:22 pm

murtonquaker wrote:How did North Ferriby and Solihull gain promotion to the National League?

The rule was changed after their promotions. Previously the League accepted temporary and uncovered seats for play-off games. Shame they didn't respond to Darlo's time plan (if they ever was one issued), or make sure every club knew about the change in the fine print.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:
murtonquaker wrote:How did North Ferriby and Solihull gain promotion to the National League?

The rule was changed after their promotions. Previously the League accepted temporary and uncovered seats for play-off games. Shame they didn't respond to Darlo's time plan (if they ever was one issued), or make sure every club knew about the change in the fine print.
Are you always wrong about everything?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:30 pm

Basically they had the stadiums which hit the B+ (Promotion) guidelines.

500 permanent covered seats and capacity of 3k with room for 4k.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:31 pm

Yarblockos meet Neil Johnson - clearly you haven't been introduced.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:33 pm

North Ferriby capacity is only 2,700 at least that is where it is reported on every link I've been on.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:35 pm

lo36789 wrote:North Ferriby capacity is only 2,700 at least that is where it is reported on every link I've been on.
It's actually 3,000 according to North Ferriby themselves.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:37 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
lo36789 wrote:North Ferriby capacity is only 2,700 at least that is where it is reported on every link I've been on.
It's actually 3,000 according to North Ferriby themselves.
Yep, Jonathon Jowett contacted them when all this broke and it was confirmed. Football pages that state 2.7k is incorrect.