Admission prices

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

HarryCharltonsCat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Admission prices

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:03 am

So Harry and Pete would be happy for the same scenario to occur next season as did this, ie prioritize the playing staff over the ground, then be prevented from enjoying the fruits of your expensively assembled team's labours?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:05 am

Indeed.

It's just like saying it's pointless in York or Stockport or Boston or Kidderminster having football league graded grounds because their teams are not currently in contention for promotion to the football league!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:13 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:So Harry and Pete would be happy for the same scenario to occur next season as did this, ie prioritize the playing staff over the ground, then be prevented from enjoying the fruits of your expensively assembled team's labours?
Indeed - its a balancing act, but the infrastructure has to be the most important thing right now.

I will say, anyone who chooses to give money to the club has the right to give it for whatever they want to.

Anyway, the admission prices are perfectly fine. Pretty much bang average with the teams we are competing for. The usual types have been whinging, but some people will look for any excuse not to come. The £2 price rise is probably less than what it was costing people to get to Bishop Auckland anyway.

If people want a conference team in a conference standard ground then we, as a collective, are going to have to pay for it. That means investing in the fundraising pitches and also not having underpriced tickets relative to our competitors.

sada8022

Post by sada8022 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:28 am

al_quaker wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:So Harry and Pete would be happy for the same scenario to occur next season as did this, ie prioritize the playing staff over the ground, then be prevented from enjoying the fruits of your expensively assembled team's labours?
Indeed - its a balancing act, but the infrastructure has to be the most important thing right now.

I will say, anyone who chooses to give money to the club has the right to give it for whatever they want to.

Anyway, the admission prices are perfectly fine. Pretty much bang average with the teams we are competing for. The usual types have been whinging, but some people will look for any excuse not to come. The £2 price rise is probably less than what it was costing people to get to Bishop Auckland anyway.

If people want a conference team in a conference standard ground then we, as a collective, are going to have to pay for it. That means investing in the fundraising pitches and also not having underpriced tickets relative to our competitors.
People keep saying that the price rise will keep the usual types whinging so they will keep away, To me this is true putting the price up is a false economy . you need to grow the crowd not alienate people.
1 extra person at 12 quid is worth as much as 6 with the increase. I will now be slated for this so please fire away.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:33 am

This isn't a criticism of you but getting the extra person at £12 is the biggest flaw in your cunning plan.

Can we double crowds? No, not likely.

Whereas charging £2 more will bring a greater yield even if a few people stop attending.

As always, a difficult balancing act.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:49 am

lo36789 wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:As we found when our sugar daddy built us a ground instead of investing in a team.
You seriously believe that prioritising infrastructure over the team to get a ground to the minimum standard eligible for promotion is the same as leaving a perfectly eligible ground to move to a new 25,000 all seater stadium?
It's a balancing act though isn't it, the back the budget take up has allowed us to retain most of the squad. If it was a simple choice the lower leagues would be scattered with beautiful empty stadiums.

In any case, many people have invested in to both, a community share purchase for the infrastructure then a weekly payment towards the budget. I've no doubt that if we start the season well and look as though a play off push is possible we'll find every way as a group of fans to get those seats up by March 31st.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:06 pm

sada8022 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

People keep saying that the price rise will keep the usual types whinging so they will keep away, To me this is true putting the price up is a false economy . you need to grow the crowd not alienate people.
1 extra person at 12 quid is worth as much as 6 with the increase. I will now be slated for this so please fire away.
All very well if those extras turn up. If people are going to stay away because we've got average priced tickets rather than slightly underpriced tickets, then they'd find other reasons to stay away.

For those who live in Darlington, £14 playing in Darlington is likely to cost no more than £12 playing in Bishop Auckland, by the time the additional travel is factored in. Yet the club gets more money to reinvest in players and infrastructure. Win win.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:10 pm

Quakerz wrote:This isn't a criticism of you but getting the extra person at £12 is the biggest flaw in your cunning plan.

Work on an assumption of average crowd of 1,600

1,600 at an average ticket price of £10 = £16,000 per match
1,600 at an average ticket price of £12 = £19,200 per match

To get a similar revenue at the £10 price you need to increase the crowd by 20% (320) people.

Similarly to get equivalent income at £12 a game crowds could drop to 1,333 (267 or 16.6%) and we'd still have higher total revenues.

I don't believe that the demand is price elastic enough that a drop or increase by £1 has a corresponding impact on total revenue.

As long as our crowds are greater than 1,333 we are better off than last season. If we kept the price at £10 we would need crowds to be greater than 1,920 to be better off than the price rise. Obviously if some people are put off then that equivalent at £10 drops but do I think it will ever add up - I'm not so sure.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:50 pm

I were just making an example I believe we need our OWN ground to progress and that ain't going to happen anytime soon unless I win the euro millions tonight... As I've said I will never be happy at BM and nobody will ever change my mind on that but will always be there supporting the players and management that we help to pay for...

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:19 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
I were just making an example I believe we need our OWN ground to progress and that ain't going to happen anytime soon unless I win the euro millions tonight... As I've said I will never be happy at BM and nobody will ever change my mind on that but will always be there supporting the players and management that we help to pay for...
But you don't support their aspirations to return to the football league?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:32 pm

Spyman wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
But you don't support their aspirations to return to the football league?
I would support any thing Darlo do even though I don't agree with the ground we play at..

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:00 pm

We would all, I'm sure, prefer that we owned our ground and I'm sure that would make progression easier. However, that's not the case so we need to accept that for now and get on with it.

The quickest (realistic) way this club will progress up the leagues is by getting Blackwell Meadows fit for the next level, whether we like it or not.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:07 pm

Just a point to add to the mix, don't forget we have about 400 (don't know the exact figure) 500 club members who are basically not putting any gate money in to the club for the next few seasons, as that money has already been spent. So in reality if we have a gate of say 1700, the fact is that paying fans = 1300
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:40 pm

Spyman wrote:We would all, I'm sure, prefer that we owned our ground and I'm sure that would make progression easier. However, that's not the case so we need to accept that for now and get on with it.

The quickest (realistic) way this club will progress up the leagues is by getting Blackwell Meadows fit for the next level, whether we like it or not.
Fair enough I pay to watch pay towards players and a member of DFCSG but I won't put extra money in to improve the ground I don't like, it's a personal preference it's a shame cos we are back in Darlo and thats the main thing. I applaud all the fans who have dug deep and will continue to do so..

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:43 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Spyman wrote:We would all, I'm sure, prefer that we owned our ground and I'm sure that would make progression easier. However, that's not the case so we need to accept that for now and get on with it.

Fair enough I pay to watch pay towards players and a member of DFCSG but I won't put extra money in to improve the ground I don't like, it's a personal preference it's a shame cos we are back in Darlo and thats the main thing. I applaud all the fans who have dug deep and will continue to do so..
So you're openly admitting that for as long as we are at Blackwell Meadows, you want the club to pour money down the drain on players and you categorically don't support the team being promoted?

You want to waste money on a team that isn't part of the competition?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:51 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

That's your decision, and you're perfectly entitled to hold that view.

But on a related note, if more people don't support the infrastructure fundraising, we could be stuck in this division for years (with no hope of promotion). Less than 10% of last seasons crowds have contributed funds to this phase of development of BM. I don't particularly like BM, but it's all we've got for the forseeable future, and the only way it will get better is through fans putting money in.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Why all the whingeing over a small increase,
1)we need to be competitive to retain /increase the fan base
2)I as an investor want to see the team competing at the top of this division.
3)as has been said it probably cost more when we were at bishop Auckland.
4)I hope that the whingeing is because there is nothing else to gripe about.
Come on we are Darlington football fans ,it's never easy being a Darlington fan
and we don't make it any easier with all this whingeing on here. Be posative think ahead.
And be committed to the cause. :thumbup:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:30 pm

al_quaker wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

That's your decision, and you're perfectly entitled to hold that view.

But on a related note, if more people don't support the infrastructure fundraising, we could be stuck in this division for years (with no hope of promotion). Less than 10% of last seasons crowds have contributed funds to this phase of development of BM. I don't particularly like BM, but it's all we've got for the forseeable future, and the only way it will get better is through fans putting money in.
I totally agree with u I just don't like the place , yes I've got to live with it and yes I will always support DFC...

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:35 pm

The better players will stop coming to us if we don't have the capability to progress regardless of how well we perform.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:48 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:This isn't a criticism of you but getting the extra person at £12 is the biggest flaw in your cunning plan.

Work on an assumption of average crowd of 1,600

1,600 at an average ticket price of £10 = £16,000 per match
1,600 at an average ticket price of £12 = £19,200 per match

To get a similar revenue at the £10 price you need to increase the crowd by 20% (320) people.

Similarly to get equivalent income at £12 a game crowds could drop to 1,333 (267 or 16.6%) and we'd still have higher total revenues.

I don't believe that the demand is price elastic enough that a drop or increase by £1 has a corresponding impact on total revenue.

As long as our crowds are greater than 1,333 we are better off than last season. If we kept the price at £10 we would need crowds to be greater than 1,920 to be better off than the price rise. Obviously if some people are put off then that equivalent at £10 drops but do I think it will ever add up - I'm not so sure.
I understand this logic, and until we construct a nice big terrace there is a case for it, but if the club fan base is ever to grow then getting those extra people and their kids through the gates is better long term.
Also, crowds tend to draw crowds (as long as they can see the pitch).

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:01 pm

£14 quid aint that bad to be honest, we are not the highest at the game in the Division...

Went to Halifax on New Years Day and I am sure they charged £16...

Whats York charge these days, I am guessing in there push to get back to Step 1, they willnbe among thw highest on the gate

£5 Concessions is not bad either, as I will be bringing my daughter to some games next season.

For me it is a very high priority to get the stadium upgraded as soon as, even if it came partly at the expense of the playing squad.

For me it is not a case of if we get promoted, but when, and we can at least have the infrastructure in place when we do eventually get a deserved promotion

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:14 am

If we could change to become a charitable trust, persuade the HMRC that we are not selling tickets but only accepting donations at the gate then perhaps we could claim 25% Gift Aid and that way we don't put up prices but increase the income!
;)

coles

Post by coles » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:48 am

i think the increase is reasonable we don't have a rich sugar daddy to subsidies us so we need to generate cash through the turnstile. The people who are twisting about not coming because its too expensive are the same people who twisted about us playing at Bishop and at the Arena both because they were too far away utter nonsense. Our historical batting average for crowds is 1,500 to 2,000 and we are in that ball park now. We will always sell out for big games so charging £2 extra won't make any difference.

We can always offer a few discount schemes during the season like season ticket holders bring a friend and they get in for a fiver etc. I spoke about the pricing with an armchair Liverpool fan yesterday as he told me it was "shocking charging £14 at that level" he is living in the dark ages. I explained to him that this was the modern era where the Premier League get richer and richer whilst the lower league clubs ie Darlo etc scrimp and scrape to survive. We need our gate money it is our bread and butter the likes of Newcastle liverpool etc don't because of the TV sky money so they can afford to lower prices offer incentives etc to entice people to attend which makes our prices look high.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:59 am

coles wrote:i think the increase is reasonable we don't have a rich sugar daddy to subsidies us so we need to generate cash through the turnstile. The people who are twisting about not coming because its too expensive are the same people who twisted about us playing at Bishop and at the Arena both because they were too far away utter nonsense. Our historical batting average for crowds is 1,500 to 2,000 and we are in that ball park now. We will always sell out for big games so charging £2 extra won't make any difference.

We can always offer a few discount schemes during the season like season ticket holders bring a friend and they get in for a fiver etc. I spoke about the pricing with an armchair Liverpool fan yesterday as he told me it was "shocking charging £14 at that level" he is living in the dark ages. I explained to him that this was the modern era where the Premier League get richer and richer whilst the lower league clubs ie Darlo etc scrimp and scrape to survive. We need our gate money it is our bread and butter the likes of Newcastle liverpool etc don't because of the TV sky money so they can afford to lower prices offer incentives etc to entice people to attend which makes our prices look high.
Totally agree, I am certain Stockport charge more than us and Halifax also.Over a season with the big local games, the extra revenue will make a massive difference and if this helps with our playing budget then we all win especially as our rivals up the road show no signs of easing off the spending.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:38 pm

people seem to think that five year season ticket holders are not contributing for the next five years , i for one have contributed by investing into the pitch improvement ,playing budget and phase 1 and will contribute to phase 2 and 3 when they are open,
five year ticket holders also put monies into the club in many other ways ,
lottery ,goals scored, monies into bucket collections,and many more ways.
I sick of hearing about five year season ticket holders wrongly not contributing.
we do as much as we can ,and will continue to do so.its our club its a club for life .
lets all do as much as we possibly can to strive to get this our football club back into the football league.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:56 pm

onewayup wrote:people seem to think that five year season ticket holders are not contributing for the next five years , i for one have contributed by investing into the pitch improvement ,playing budget and phase 1 and will contribute to phase 2 and 3 when they are open,
I sick of hearing about five year season ticket holders wrongly not contributing.
we do as much as we can ,and will continue to do so.its our club its a club for life .
lets all do as much as we possibly can to strive to get this our football club back into the football league.
Think you're being a bit touchy here matey.I don't think anyone suggested for a minute that 500 club members don't contribute to the club.The point being made is the fact that the money that would have come into the club from 5 year members isn't coming in because we've already had it.Chill.

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:57 pm

onewayup wrote:people seem to think that five year season ticket holders are not contributing for the next five years , i for one have contributed by investing into the pitch improvement ,playing budget and phase 1 and will contribute to phase 2 and 3 when they are open,
I'm sure no one is saying that they don't contribute. What they aren't doing is contributing the normal season ticket money to the budget, so this needs to be recouped elsewhere.

Everything else you mention other fans are also doing.

Like it or not because we aren't allowing a rolling extension (at least while the ground us upgraded) then the club has less money than it would have done if the 500 club didn't exist (obviously it needed to to help move us home)

I hope you understand my point.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:52 pm

As I said me and others I know are putting the price of season tickets and more intothe club yearly as the club needs to be funded ,so although don,t buy a season ticket every season I donate the value of the ticket and more, as others do to the cause.onward and upward with Darlington f.c.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:08 pm

That's approaching the steep side of things I think. I'll pay it of course, but it does nowt for floating fans. I wouldn't like to see us charging more than 15 in the National (and yes, obviously i'm aware of what it used to be, but I happen to think that was a part of the problem with getting people through the gates.).

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:29 am

£14 is going to put a fair few off, its more like conference premier prices