Work on the pitch has started

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Makka Pakka
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Work on the pitch has started

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 am

Last edited by Makka Pakka on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:25 am

Makka Pakka wrote:
JamesDarlo wrote:https://twitter.com/James_Caton94/statu ... 0769836032

This anything to do with us?
http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/released ... story.html

No. However he has now signed for us.
Ahh explains that, wonder where Steve McLaren was at then, assuming Caton was on trial at a few places.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:29 am

Wasn't he doing he course in the North West?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:19 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:Wasn't he doing he course in the North West?
Apparently he took training last week and is wanting to still put money into the club see what happens after his meeting this week.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Is he sorting the pitch out?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:01 pm

Re the earlier rumours on this thread about the pitch not being ready to stage our early-season home games and switches taking place, our CEO David Johnston has today said: "The grass is growing very nicely at Blackwell Meadows, and earlier in the week it received its first cut. The weather is helping; there’s been a fair mixture of sun and rain in recent weeks, so we’re well on target in terms of the pitch being ready in time."
Doesn't sound like any sort of problem to me.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Two weeks on Wednesday - COME ON DARLO !!!!!!!!!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:17 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Re the earlier rumours on this thread about the pitch not being ready to stage our early-season home games and switches taking place, our CEO David Johnston has today said: "The grass is growing very nicely at Blackwell Meadows, and earlier in the week it received its first cut. The weather is helping; there’s been a fair mixture of sun and rain in recent weeks, so we’re well on target in terms of the pitch being ready in time."
Doesn't sound like any sort of problem to me.
New grass needs some time to put down a root system that will stand up to studs, but at least all the rain would have been a good test for the field drains. Hopefully we will be able to start the season without rearranging fixtures as this would help the cashflow :thumbup:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:22 pm

jjljks wrote:as this would help the cashflow :thumbup:
Surely the end of the season is when you want home games to help with cash flow? We have ST money now which will be long spent after Christmas.

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:12 pm

roadrunner wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:Wasn't he doing he course in the North West?
Apparently he took training last week and is wanting to still put money into the club see what happens after his meeting this week.

Serial rumour spreader

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:33 pm

And where did you get this information from? Were you at training?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:48 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:And where did you get this information from? Were you at training?
Don't believe he is making rumours up, read something on twitter from one of the players which suggested the same but can't see it now.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Just been down to BM and, worryingly, while most of the pitch looks fine there is also a large brown area which will never be green by the first home match.
On the plus side the seats look to have been raised, the foundations done and men appear to be working on repositioning the dugouts.
Just need to fix the brown patch.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:14 pm

dfc4me wrote: Just need to fix the brown patch.
Well, just that and also raise another 43 grand so we can build the frame and shell of the stand.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:05 pm

Is the brown patch in front of the tin shed towards the turnstiles. This could be the area where it looked flooded on an early photo on Twitter, this most likely killed off a lot of the seed that was put down.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:37 pm

quakerste wrote:Is the brown patch in front of the tin shed towards the turnstiles. This could be the area where it looked flooded on an early photo on Twitter, this most likely killed off a lot of the seed that was put down.
Not really. Almost directly in front of you as you go through the turnstiles, about 20 yards in.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:23 pm

That's the area I was talking about. Somewhere there was a picture after the sprinkler had been on and it looked totally flooded. Might be wrong but I think that this may have contributed to the brown patch.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:41 pm

Green spray paint will help

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:28 am

quakerste wrote:Is the brown patch in front of the tin shed towards the turnstiles. This could be the area where it looked flooded on an early photo on Twitter, this most likely killed off a lot of the seed that was put down.
Would have to have been under water for days. Don't the new drains work then ?

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:49 am

We will have to ask for our money back on the pitch and put it towards the stand if it`s not up to scratch lol!!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:22 am

Had a quick look on Thursday and was pleasantly surprised at the state of the pitch. True there is a brownish patch about the edge of the penalty area at Tin Shed end but hopefully recent weather has been good for growth and it may have been due to some leftover cuttings after the first mowing. Still needs to thicken & establish root system.
Just to clarify, are we still expecting the first home game to be Gainsborough Trinity? There were rumours about requests to reverse fixtures and they were not happy but then Alfreton were.
Nothing on any official Vanarama or Darlo club sites about any rearranged matches. :?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:50 pm

I would assume at this notice that the fixtures are as scheduled. Here's hoping it holds up.

If it cuts up, it really doesn't make the decision to relay the pitch look great. Especially when that money could have effectively built the seated stand this off season (combined with what was raised). For all the pitch last year was a bobbly mess, it didn't really cut up and could have lasted another year. Having a bobbly pitch wasn't going to stop us being promoted, not having that stand built might.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:12 pm

I might be wrong but wasn't the pitch money specified for that due to matched funding from somewhere?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:58 pm

H1987 wrote:I would assume at this notice that the fixtures are as scheduled. Here's hoping it holds up.

If it cuts up, it really doesn't make the decision to relay the pitch look great. Especially when that money could have effectively built the seated stand this off season (combined with what was raised). For all the pitch last year was a bobbly mess, it didn't really cut up and could have lasted another year. Having a bobbly pitch wasn't going to stop us being promoted, not having that stand built might.
Not having the stand built WILL stop us getting promoted. Until it's built, we can't go up. In the meantime, we've just bought a centre back we don't need, who's out for six weeks with a broken collarbone.

What a wonderful waste of money that could have been spent elsewhere.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:53 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
H1987 wrote:I would assume at this notice that the fixtures are as scheduled. Here's hoping it holds up.

Not having the stand built WILL stop us getting promoted. Until it's built, we can't go up. In the meantime, we've just bought a centre back we don't need, who's out for six weeks with a broken collarbone.

What a wonderful waste of money that could have been spent elsewhere.
Didn't know we bought him..Has this been announced somewhere? How much did we pay?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:24 pm

Point = missed.

We don't need him. And now we're paying a player we don't need a wage while he's out injured.

And that money could be better spent on building the stand to erm, make us eligible for promotion.

So be as pedantic as you want (the fact you have to resort to pedantry shows how many times I've upset you by beating you in arguments).

It doesn't hide the fact that time is ticking to get the stand built, the fundraising has stopped, and we're wasting money on signing players we don't need.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darlosince65

Post by darlosince65 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:27 pm

I agree, re Heaton, I cannot find any announcement of signing of him on any local DFC social or written media.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:48 pm

darlosince65 wrote:I agree, re Heaton, I cannot find any announcement of signing of him on any local DFC social or written media.
Here's Craig Stoddart saying it is happening on Monday:
https://twitter.com/CStoddartEcho/statu ... 2542906368

Unusual for the club not to say anything but Stoddart, Bamber Bridge and Heaton himself have all said the move is happening/has happened.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Point = missed.

We don't need him. And now we're paying a player we don't need a wage while he's out injured.

And that money could be better spent on building the stand to erm, make us eligible for promotion.

So be as pedantic as you want (the fact you have to resort to pedantry shows how many times I've upset you by beating you in arguments).

It doesn't hide the fact that time is ticking to get the stand built, the fundraising has stopped, and we're wasting money on signing players we don't need.
HaHa
I new you would bite..
Totally expected comment from you as well.
Incidentally...The only way you win your arguments is by dragging the threads on and on and on and on until everyone is absolutely sick...You are so boring and predictable....
Go on, admit it and tell everyone you were wrong when you said " we've just bought a centre back we don't need,"
Bet you don't

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:30 am

My opinion wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Point = missed.

HaHa
I new you would bite..
Totally expected comment from you as well.
Incidentally...The only way you win your arguments is by dragging the threads on and on and on and on until everyone is absolutely sick...You are so boring and predictable....
Go on, admit it and tell everyone you were wrong when you said " we've just bought a centre back we don't need,"
Bet you don't
Genuinely I didn't think people would get so wound up because someone said something on an internet forum. But your bizarre rant has proven everyone wrong. Seriously, get out of your bedsit and find a girl or take up a hobby.

I should have said "brought in" a centre back we don't need. The majority of people reading understood the point I was making, but if it upsets you so much I'll correct myself.

I've corrected myself before when wrong, so it's funny you've made a big deal out of it.

While we're on the subject of pedantry it's "knew you would bite" not "new".

Makes you look a fool if you get that wrong after lecturing me pedantically.

Now, are you going to offer any sort of worthwhile opinion on the waste of money Heaton is? Or are you going to be your usual self and seethe in your own bitterness about how I beat you in every argument?