Bradley Fewster

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

roadrunner
Team Supported: Darlington

Bradley Fewster

Post by roadrunner » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:07 pm

Looks like we've signed Bradley Fewster another forward ex york city going by today's photo shoot as well as Scott Fenwick
I presume Beck isn't fit to start the season .

H1987

Re: Bradley Fewster

Post by H1987 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:11 pm

Was just about to post the same thing. Back row, second in (in a shirt) with the beard?

That's a hell of a coup for us. He had a decent record in the football league. I'm surprised he's dropped this far down.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Just been released by Middlesbrough was at york 15/16 season on loan 8 goals in 24 in the football league.also on loan at pools.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:31 pm

So we've signed 3 forwards? Caton, Fewster and Fenwick? We already have Cartman, Saunders, Beck (albeit apparently not fit) as well as Gillies and Thompson who have been used either side of a front three.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:33 pm

Announce neymar next?

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:38 pm

The photo shoot also suggests we've signed Richards, Wheatley, and Wilczinski. What budget cut? :think:

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:43 pm

Don't think Jameson and wearmouth are in martins plans but have a year left on there contracts.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:58 pm

Like the signings, but this either smacks of short term risk or something is in the pipeline allowing us to sign these players. Either way I think it's only fair that the club explain these signings and how we can afford them...after all it's a supporters owned club, we would like a bit of transparency and all that - not cloak and dagger, especially as the budget has allegedly been cut accordingly??? :roll:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:04 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:Like the signings, but this either smacks of short term risk or something is in the pipeline allowing us to sign these players. Either way I think it's only fair that the club explain these signings and how we can afford them...after all it's a supporters owned club, we would like a bit of transparency and all that - not cloak and dagger, especially as the budget has allegedly been cut accordingly??? :roll:
Looking forward to the next fortnightly diary to give us some insight.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:16 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:Like the signings, but this either smacks of short term risk or something is in the pipeline allowing us to sign these players. Either way I think it's only fair that the club explain these signings and how we can afford them...after all it's a supporters owned club, we would like a bit of transparency and all that - not cloak and dagger, especially as the budget has allegedly been cut accordingly??? :roll:
Investors in the pipeline Steve mcClaren and co
Last edited by roadrunner on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Where are you getting this information from?

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:04 am

roadrunner wrote:
Investors in the pipeline Steve mclaren and co
Care to back this up for the rest of us or are you just winding us up for the sake of it??? :think:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:59 am

Sounds like some great signings, but I'll wait to hear the official news first. Would love McLaren to get involved in some way with the club, it would be a great coup.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:39 am

The budget has not been cut, it's already been explained how.

We raised over 40k of the 80k shortfall ourselves, and the rest has come from the gate price increase of £2 a head.

Mind you, I'd like to see how we've kept all of these apparent new signings within even that budget.

I'm worried.

Worried that we're going all out for promotion with no infrastructure behind it. The fans have clearly run out of money FFS.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:15 am

roadrunner wrote:Investors in the pipeline Steve mclaren and co
That comes across that we have gambled then. Do hope supposed investors money hasn't already been spent and fans are given a choice of accept the investor / lose control or cover the difference.

Wasn't and co Raj Singh last time?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:57 am

Quakerz wrote:
The budget has not been cut, it's already been explained how.

We raised over 40k of the 80k shortfall ourselves, and the rest has come from the gate price increase of £2 a head.

Mind you, I'd like to see how we've kept all of these apparent new signings within even that budget.

I'm worried.

Worried that we're going all out for promotion with no infrastructure behind it. The fans have clearly run out of money FFS.
My thoughts entirely.

If McLaren or whoever wants to invest significant sums for some kind of 'ownership', this will need to be approved just like Singh's efforts would have been.

If he wants to just put money in to do us a favour (why?), then that money has to go towards the right thing - the infrastructure.

We have a squad that can challenge. We don't have a ground that can challenge. I know I keep banging on about it but what is the point n someone chucking in an extra 50k or whatever to bring in an abundance of players if we're getting nowhere with the seats? Will they then chuck in what is needed again in a year's time?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:51 am

Spyman wrote:If McLaren or whoever wants to invest significant sums for some kind of 'ownership', this will need to be approved just like Singh's efforts would have been.
Yes, I agree. Although these are just rumours - served up by one particular user on here.

Spyman wrote:If he wants to just put money in to do us a favour (why?), then that money has to go towards the right thing - the infrastructure.
No, I don't agree. If someone wishes to gift money to the club with no strings attached, surely they can stipulate how this money is used. As in the situation at Bishop Auckland a while ago where money was left to them specifically for use on the pitch/stadium. But has anybody, will anybody invest "significant sums" :?: - these are just rumours - served up by one particular user on here.

At present I'm not too concerned re this situation. We must have a good squad and must get off to a reasonable start to the new season, however we have some time to sort out the important situation re the seats.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:56 am

Quakerz wrote: I'm worried.

Me too.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:10 am

Is McLaren putting money into Darlo because his Formula 1 team is doing so bad? ;)

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:58 am

Before we go any further, please can everyone spell his name properly? It's McClaren. The various iterations are playing hell with my OCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:06 am

8 goals in 28 League 2 games. 11 goals in 35 Premier League 2 games (Boro U23's), and a goal in the League Cup for Boro. 21. Sorry, i'm legitimately excited.

Sensible hat on: I hope players are leaving to cover for this... we seriously do not need 6 strikers, and frankly if the budget allows for that... it shouldn't. The stand needs building, and at this point, if it took part of the budget to build, then so be it.

God damn mixed feelings!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:08 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Spyman wrote:If he wants to just put money in to do us a favour (why?), then that money has to go towards the right thing - the infrastructure.
No, I don't agree. If someone wishes to gift money to the club with no strings attached, surely they can stipulate how this money is used. As in the situation at Bishop Auckland a while ago where money was left to them specifically for use on the pitch/stadium.
Of course that is true - however I'd take far more kindly to an investor who wants to support and build a sustainable infrastructure first rather than a boom or bust donation towards players, which is ultimately a never ending black-hole for money to go in to - and once that money dries up we're really in the s*** (again).

DC

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:10 am

I'm naively assuming that any investor of Steve McClaren's ilk is fully aware of the need for infrastructure and that is already taken care of. Strengthening the team is as well as this and not instead of.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:28 am

Makka Pakka wrote:I'm naively assuming that any investor of Steve McClaren's ilk is fully aware of the need for infrastructure and that is already taken care of. Strengthening the team is as well as this and not instead of.
Yes, but you'd think the same applied to others who are more involved with the club and it clearly doesn't.

DC

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:54 am

the club seemingly splashing out on players - especially having 6 forwards to fit (usually) 2 places does not feel right at all.

I've said before, it's almost like it's being done to make MG look good.....or remove the challenge of remaining competitive with a more streamlined squad.

I'll wait for formal explanations from the club before wetting my pants about it all, but the more the club goes down this route, the harder it becomes to ask fans to our hands in our pockets again....

richymidd

Post by richymidd » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:54 am

Quakerz wrote: Worried that we're going all out for promotion with no infrastructure behind it. The fans have clearly run out of money FFS.
Shoot me down but I haven't put anything in this time around and I haven't run out of money. I've been biding my time just to see how things pan out, so as not to throw good money after bad, as it were.

I wonder how many others have done the same?

I fully understand that, as much as I hate it, a club needs silly cash once you get to this stage and that if we want to go higher, we will probably need some kind of external investment. And I will consider that at the time. But I'm in the camp that says if don't have the patience to create a club, a senior management team, manager and fanbase that is serious about building a sustainable infrastructure and model that will best serve us down the line, then we're wasting our time.

I guess the point is, I just don't trust them yet with my money.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:59 am

I think that some people, understandably, have lost a bit of faith in the club regarding getting the infrastructure correct due to the seats situation. I do have a lot more faith in the current CEO to deliver on this front, although, understandably, people don't want to make assumptions at this stage that all will be right. A bit more money has been coming into the seats pitch this week, but I've calculated that we need £700 per day to hit the target.
What I'd like to see personally from the CEO in his next statement is something about this. Not costings or anything, as I assume that this is being discussed behind the scenes (Wayne Raper said as much a couple of weeks back) but just words to this effect, that there are discussions about other revenue streams to fund the seats, with any more comprehensive information being a bonus.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:30 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:the club seemingly splashing out on players - especially having 6 forwards to fit (usually) 2 places does not feel right at all.

I've said before, it's almost like it's being done to make MG look good.....or remove the challenge of remaining competitive with a more streamlined squad.

I'll wait for formal explanations from the club before wetting my pants about it all, but the more the club goes down this route, the harder it becomes to ask fans to our hands in our pockets again....
Yes 6 forwards on the books but looks like caton,s out for 6 weeks and Beck out with a knee injury and Thompson on holiday. That leaves two to start and two on the bench.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:43 pm

roadrunner wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:the club seemingly splashing out on players - especially having 6 forwards to fit (usually) 2 places does not feel right at all.

Yes 6 forwards on the books but looks like caton,s out for 6 weeks and Beck out with a knee injury and Thompson on holiday. That leaves two to start and two on the bench.
Nope, Caton seems pretty excited about playing tomorrow, doesn't sound like he's injured to me?

https://twitter.com/James_Caton94/statu ... 1452216321

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:47 pm

MG said earlier this week that we have a clean bill of health.