Bradley Fewster

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

50 years
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bradley Fewster

Post by 50 years » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:15 pm

We fans may own the club, but we have people in charge who are learning year on year and are dedicated to the club. We now need to trust their judgement, (we have had a fantastic few years led by MG and more to come I hope), and allow them to manage day to day rather than always calling for heads to roll or asking for every penny to be accounted for. I personally believe that we have people at the head now who are capable of making the decisions needed to take us forward, please let them do the job (unless there are individuals out there with better qualifications to do a better job and can volunteer their time free?).

Getting any investor is going to be hard given the keyboard warriors that we have who take umbrage at anything they disagree or are unhappy with, which will make any potential investors think twice I would think. If they were able to turn these talents to raising money and being supportive we would I am sure be in a much better place.

We have gone through some difficult years,(and there have been mistakes made every year I know), and we got through with generous help from some superb supporters, we have got there and been successful so I am positive that we will have the seats in place before the end of the season and have a successful year on the pitch.

As for me I am excited about the year ahead, especially with the new signings, we need some success and excitement each year to keep up the interest in the town and get new supporters through the gates, vital for us to maintain a team for the future.

I have noticed some people have held off investing in the club for various reasons - just as a thought as this is not a gift but a "loan" at competitive interest, why hold off? I invested in last years and this years call for investment and money into the budget, and while I am not rich I will also be investing again as this is my team and I enjoy so many of my days out watching the team over the last 50 years, (and yes I do moan when the football etc. is not good), and to be honest I am too lazy to help with the volunteering so that is my way of helping.

Please get behind the team and management, (that does not have to be money, but just supportive), give them the courtesy and time to deliver as they will be feeling under pressure without us fans being on there backs (Remember the sleepless nights Wayne R had before the meeting re promotion).

Up the Quakers

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:23 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:MG said earlier this week that we have a clean bill of health.
Gray also likes to keep his cards very close to his chest.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:31 pm

50 years wrote:We fans may own the club, but we have people in charge who are learning year on year and are dedicated to the club. We now need to trust their judgement, (we have had a fantastic few years led by MG and more to come I hope), and allow them to manage day to day rather than always calling for heads to roll or asking for every penny to be accounted for. I personally believe that we have people at the head now who are capable of making the decisions needed to take us forward, please let them do the job (unless there are individuals out there with better qualifications to do a better job and can volunteer their time free?).

Getting any investor is going to be hard given the keyboard warriors that we have who take umbrage at anything they disagree or are unhappy with, which will make any potential investors think twice I would think. If they were able to turn these talents to raising money and being supportive we would I am sure be in a much better place.

We have gone through some difficult years,(and there have been mistakes made every year I know), and we got through with generous help from some superb supporters, we have got there and been successful so I am positive that we will have the seats in place before the end of the season and have a successful year on the pitch.

As for me I am excited about the year ahead, especially with the new signings, we need some success and excitement each year to keep up the interest in the town and get new supporters through the gates, vital for us to maintain a team for the future.

I have noticed some people have held off investing in the club for various reasons - just as a thought as this is not a gift but a "loan" at competitive interest, why hold off? I invested in last years and this years call for investment and money into the budget, and while I am not rich I will also be investing again as this is my team and I enjoy so many of my days out watching the team over the last 50 years, (and yes I do moan when the football etc. is not good), and to be honest I am too lazy to help with the volunteering so that is my way of helping.

Please get behind the team and management, (that does not have to be money, but just supportive), give them the courtesy and time to deliver as they will be feeling under pressure without us fans being on there backs (Remember the sleepless nights Wayne R had before the meeting re promotion).

Up the Quakers
Brilliant post!

Let's enjoy the season.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:33 pm

Very good post from 50years.I echo all that he has said.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:59 pm

50 years wrote:We fans may own the club, but we have people in charge who are learning year on year and are dedicated to the club. We now need to trust their judgement, (we have had a fantastic few years led by MG and more to come I hope), and allow them to manage day to day rather than always calling for heads to roll or asking for every penny to be accounted for. I personally believe that we have people at the head now who are capable of making the decisions needed to take us forward, please let them do the job (unless there are individuals out there with better qualifications to do a better job and can volunteer their time free?).

Up the Quakers
Having legitimate concerns and scrutinizing the running of the club is a good thing. It may be a throw away comment but your statement that we've had a fantastic few years being led by Martin Gray is part of my concern. While he's done a fantastic job of assembling teams and getting promotions, I'm concerned he wields too much power, which is almost natural as Chariman and Board members have fallen by the wayside - he's been the one constant.

I for one hope that all is rosey, that we can afford all of these signings that will hopefully improve what was already a very strong squad, and that we have some kind of plan up our sleeves to get the funding moving again for the stand.

I also hope we have some kind of plan for funding this squad, and any further improvements required, if we do achieve promotion. We certainly can't be expecting fans to put their hands in their pockets for donations towards the playing budget any longer.

Bring on the start of the season and good luck to the players tomorrow at Salford.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Saw Fewster during his loan at York when they were in League Two and he was often the best player on the pitch, admittedly during a poor season but still.

He's fast, direct and can finish. Able to nip in behind defenders and get a telling touch, similar to how Fenwick tries to play but much, much better.

Great signing if true, could play in the Football League without much trouble.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:01 am

Up the Quakers
Great first post, not much to disagree with in what you say. Welcome to the MB.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:54 am

Darlo_H wrote:Saw Fewster during his loan at York when they were in League Two and he was often the best player on the pitch, admittedly during a poor season but still.

He's fast, direct and can finish. Able to nip in behind defenders and get a telling touch, similar to how Fenwick tries to play but much, much better.

Great signing if true, could play in the Football League without much trouble.
A few York fans are basically saying the same thing, we could have a great signing here.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:24 am

Lets just hope we actually sign him before $pendymore nip in.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:10 am

50 years wrote:Getting any investor is going to be hard given the keyboard warriors that we have who take umbrage at anything they disagree or are unhappy with, which will make any potential investors think twice I would think. If they were able to turn these talents to raising money and being supportive we would I am sure be in a much better place.

Yes good post 50 years - however I don't think you can compare the possibility of Raj Singh reemerging to a situation regarding any other possible investor.

The big fuss, the big keyboard warrioring surge came solely because Raj Singh in relation to Darlo carries a skip load of baggage. It was always doomed to controversy to say the least.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:31 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
50 years wrote:Getting any investor is going to be hard given the keyboard warriors that we have who take umbrage at anything they disagree or are unhappy with, which will make any potential investors think twice I would think. If they were able to turn these talents to raising money and being supportive we would I am sure be in a much better place.

Yes good post 50 years - however I don't think you can compare the possibility of Raj Singh reemerging to a situation regarding any other possible investor.

The big fuss, the big keyboard warrioring surge came solely because Raj Singh in relation to Darlo carries a skip load of baggage. It was always doomed to controversy to say the least.
No one wanted Singh back. Anyone who was "pro-Singh" was only interested in his money.

In fact, Singh himself wasn't interested in the club. He wanted to invest the money in MG's playing budget, rather than anything which would benefit the club long-term.

It wasn't a situation that would've worked out well and Singh withdrawing was the best outcome.

The idea that anyone would be put off by a few negative comments online is tedious and pathetic. It's become a get-out clause, an excuse for the thin-skinned and incompetent.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Wheatley was in the crowd on Saturday, and involved in the post-match huddle. So I suspect he will become our 5th signing of the summer shortly.

All quiet on Fewster however. Possibly still keeping his options open.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:06 pm

Strange we haven't announced this... I mean, he's in the official photos... surely you don't invite him to that if it isn't a done deal...

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:54 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Wheatley was in the crowd on Saturday, and involved in the post-match huddle. So I suspect he will become our 5th signing of the summer shortly.

All quiet on Fewster however. Possibly still keeping his options open.
Clearly not needed as we can beat the full time title favourites without him. Money should go towards the seats.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:00 pm

See no bother in strengthening within budget. Would suspect if 2 come in we will see some departures, just as we have with the previous 2 signings.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:See no bother in strengthening within budget. Would suspect if 2 come in we will see some departures, just as we have with the previous 2 signings.
Ah, I see your transfer fetishism strikes again.

If the playing budget allows us to strengthen still further given the strong squad we have, at the expense of an essential ground development, it is set stupidly too high.

We have a 22-man squad (25 if you include Wearmouth, Milburn and potentially Heaton) which is far too big.

Given our past budgeting horror shows, to assume everything is hunky dory is at best extremely naive. At worst it's willful ignorance

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:39 pm

Whether Fewster comes in or not, unless there's something we don't know, some players have to be moved out. Looking at the squad likely candidates would be:

Marrs or Hunter - making way for Richards
Scott or Portas - making way for Wheatley (assuming he does sign)
Cartman or possibly Gillies - making way for Fenwick

I hope we don't let Saunders go out on loan. He'll gain more experience playing 20 minutes a game in this league then he would playing for South Shields or equivalent. He's potentially our biggest saleable asset if he carries on playing as he is.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:55 pm

Apparently fenwick signed for us as a last resort as Hartlepool didn't want him back.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:15 am

Darlo_Rob wrote:Whether Fewster comes in or not, unless there's something we don't know, some players have to be moved out. Looking at the squad likely candidates would be:

Marrs or Hunter - making way for Richards
Scott or Portas - making way for Wheatley (assuming he does sign)
Cartman or possibly Gillies - making way for Fenwick

I hope we don't let Saunders go out on loan. He'll gain more experience playing 20 minutes a game in this league then he would playing for South Shields or equivalent. He's potentially our biggest saleable asset if he carries on playing as he is.
Any idea why Richards didn't feature on Saturday? Seems strange to bring players in if they're not even going to make the bench.

I'm pretty certain that we've seen the last of Cartman with the sudden influx of other forwards coming in.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:35 am

AndyPark wrote:Apparently fenwick signed for us as a last resort as Hartlepool didn't want him back.
Isn't that how we sign most players from higher divisions? Their current club no longer want them...last resort seems strong considering he's been on trial with us.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:00 am

It seems a bit weird to have him in the team photo, not anything else. Agree with some of the comments above by the way. While I do hope we pull this off as I think he's a player more than capable of playing in the football league, and we could potentially make money off him by selling him if we get him on a contract for a couple of years, the budget shouldn't be high enough to allow for 22-25 people in the squad. It's completely unnecessary at this level, and the money should go towards the seats.

I thought we might have seen more money come in, in terms of sponsorship maybe. The money for all of that seems to be going into the playing budget, while the fans are expected to pay for a stand.... there needs to be a balance. It's not even just the immediate drive... *then* we need to pay for the seats.... *then* the terrace for behind the other goal. It's huge amounts of money to ask for, from a fan base that has already given so bloody much in recent years. I'd also sort of hoped income from the friendly might have contributed, but again it appears that has been absorbed into the overall budget.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:27 am

Darlogramps wrote:Given our past budgeting horror shows, to assume everything is hunky dory is at best extremely naive. At worst it's willful ignorance
I agree with that point but it appears the only alarm bells going off are on here.
Personally, if I was in charge of what went on down there and it was looking grim with the finances with regards to the ground improvements, I'd have been making sure all and sundry realised just how imperative it was that the fund raising started up again.

I cant believe for one minute that they have just stuck their heads in the sand over this so must have something in the pipeline that will reset the messageboard panic button!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:32 am

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Given our past budgeting horror shows, to assume everything is hunky dory is at best extremely naive. At worst it's willful ignorance
I agree with that point but it appears the only alarm bells going off are on here.
Personally, if I was in charge of what went on down there and it was looking grim with the finances with regards to the ground improvements, I'd have been making sure all and sundry realised just how imperative it was that the fund raising started up again.

I cant believe for one minute that they have just stuck their heads in the sand over this so must have something in the pipeline that will reset the messageboard panic button!
I hope you're right, as the frivolous spending on developing an already strong playing squad is really quite worrying while there's no significant progress on the stand.

Fingers crossed we'll be given some clarification - maybe in the programme notes on Wednesday.

DC

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:43 am

lo36789 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:Apparently fenwick signed for us as a last resort as Hartlepool didn't want him back.
Isn't that how we sign most players from higher divisions? Their current club no longer want them...last resort seems strong considering he's been on trial with us.
This has come from a poolie supporting friend who knows him. He doesn't want to be here apparently and intends to leave at the earliest oppprtunity.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:46 am

loan_star wrote:

Yeah I don't disagree at all. I don't doubt that David Johnston, John Tempest and everyone else involved in running the club all want the best and for it to be a success.

However, the fact they're volunteers doing an unenviable job doesn't mean we can't say if we believe something is a concern.

All anyone wants to know is that, given the fundraising has stopped, what's being done to ensure we don't become a laughing stock again come the end of the season? The consequences of finishing top 7 but not being able to go up would be even more disastrous this time around. I really think it would do lasting damage.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:16 pm

AndyPark wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
This has come from a poolie supporting friend who knows him. He doesn't want to be here apparently and intends to leave at the earliest oppprtunity.

Dangerous talk !!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:33 pm

I don't think the fundraising has dried up.

It seems to me that, with our limited resources, we can only focus on one or two things at a time and a Summer lull gave way to a push for season tickets, the need to get DFCSG membership renewals moving a little earlier (because processing all those renewals and new applications, and getting the cards printed and out to the members is a huge job), and also the new season brings with it additional demands on the time of the volunteers in order to get everything in place for our home games.

Like most people I'm curious about how the numbers add up regarding the playing side, but I'm sure they will and I'm also pretty sure we'll get there regarding the seating... somehow. We just need to get all of the current stuff swept to one side of the table so we can focus on that a bit more.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:I don't think the fundraising has dried up.
The fundraising for the stand has well and truly dried up. We've raised £7,750 in two months, with the first £5k of that coming in the opening fortnight.

So really, in around seven weeks we've raised little over £2k. That's not a criticism of fans - I think the fundraising efforts over the past five years has been magnificent.

But when there's another £80k to raise, and the past seven weeks has yielded only two grand - the fundraising for the stand has definitely dried up.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:18 pm

No, I think we just took our foot off the gas while we tackled all the other things which need doing at this time of year. It'll pick up once we start pushing it again.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:No, I think we just took our foot off the gas while we tackled all the other things which need doing at this time of year. It'll pick up once we start pushing it again.

Don't like being too pessimistic, BUT... what if it doesn't? We have got to be realistic now and as it stands funds have dried up, we don't have the extra seats and illegible for promotion.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"