Solid, well-organised & deserving winners

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mario
Team Supported: Darlington

Solid, well-organised & deserving winners

Post by Mario » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:20 pm

Just got back home from Salford after a very enjoyable trip.

Darlo were really good. Playing a 4-4-2, with the wingers tucked-in worked perfectly. All the Darlo players looked ready for the season and well-prepared. They looked sharper than Salford throughout the game and were very well organised and there was naturally a better understanding given that Salford had so many new players.

In the first half Salford started the better but after the first few minutes Darlington got into the game and started to control things especially in midfield. Darlington were the better side in the first half with Salford struggling to get any control on the game. Syers missed a sitter in front of goal. Great time to score for Darlo and they deservedly went in at 1-0.

In the second half Salford were marginally better but the Darlo keeper did not have a lot to do. Darlington kept things solid in the second-half and although Salford had some chances to equalise, Darlington continued to pass the ball better than the home team. The longer the game went on the more agitated the Salford fans became and even the Salford players seemed to be losing their cool with each other.

The second goal was a perfect ending for Darlo and calmed any nerves.

Lots of very good performances for Darlo, especially the 2 new players, Collins who was superb, calm, assured, had great positioning and looks a great signing and Caton who worked tirelessly before he was substituted. He also looks a good signing.

Keeper didn't have much to do. What was asked of him he did with no fuss.

Back 4 were solid barring one error by Brown which let the Salford striker through on goal but he made a mess of the chance.

Midfield worked very hard and didn't let Salford settle on the ball at all. Were a bit too deep in the second half at times but it wasn't a major issue given the back 4 were doing there job so well.

Strikers, understanding will get better. But both performed really well and the manager couldn't have asked any more from them. They gave everything and epitomised the effort of the team.

Wasn't pretty to watch at times which can be expected, but Darlo went there to do a job and they did it perfectly.
Last edited by Mario on Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breedon

Re: Solid, well-organised & deserving winners

Post by Breedon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:44 pm

I was chuffed when we signed Collins, exactly what we needed to add to what was largely a very good team last season. A really good, solid centre half used to playing in the best teams in this league. Sounded on the commentary like Brown's game improved as a result of being paired with Collins and I expect Burgess will be the same, depending of which of the two Martin favours going forward to partner Collins. Chuffed to win but what sounded most impressive was that it never sounded in much doubt the whole way through. We didn't just beat the favourites, we comprehensively turned them over! Awesome!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:12 pm

Gray seemed delighted with today's performance.

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/wp- ... 05_001.mp3

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:25 pm

What I liked about caton was that he gives us something a bit different. He did a little trick to wriggle out of a corner in the first half that was really smart, very different to Thompson's power. Nice to vary it up a bit.

Collins very good, but really the best signing we made in the summer was getting Ferguson on contract. What a smashing player he is.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:35 pm

tdk1 wrote: Collins very good, but really the best signing we made in the summer was getting Ferguson on contract. What a smashing player he is.
Agreed, tdk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:51 am

Always like getting the opposition's opinions after matches so took a look at their message board. Very disappointed with how they played, considering the vast amounts of money spent on their squad. Admitted that we were well organised and took our chances when it mattered, although seemingly we were not that much better. Some blame on the referee allowing our players to harass and time waste??

Generally speaking they are bitter about the defeat...ah well! :wave:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:08 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:Always like getting the opposition's opinions after matches so took a look at their message board. Very disappointed with how they played, considering the vast amounts of money spent on their squad. Admitted that we were well organised and took our chances when it mattered, although seemingly we were not that much better. Some blame on the referee allowing our players to harass and time waste??

A look on the 'Bunker' is a good laugh this morning. I admit it was to gloat.
Appears club is in meltdown and we are set to pass them on the way up.
Oh dear, how sad, never mind, Mr Stelling.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:37 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:Always like getting the opposition's opinions after matches so took a look at their message board. Very disappointed with how they played, considering the vast amounts of money spent on their squad. Admitted that we were well organised and took our chances when it mattered, although seemingly we were not that much better. Some blame on the referee allowing our players to harass and time waste??

To be honest I have quite a lot of time for the Class of 92..I see it as millionaire former footballers giving back something to lower league football..Just my take on it.

However, I have been on their website a few times over recent years, especially after important games. Some of their supporters always blame the officials whenever they do not get the result in their favour, According to some on there most of their bad results were caused by poor officials, and recently the "Johnny come lately" brigade are always up for criticising away teams, away fans and match officials..
Suppose you get that everywhere though..Seen quite a few on here who have seen a different game to me.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:44 am

M.G spot on playing them early gave us the advantage ,we are mostly still the same team from last couple of seasons, while they are nearly all new to each other. So they will become stronger the more they play together and understand one another,s play.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:51 am

Great win,Darlo seemed to get more confident as the game went on as they realised Salford were struggling with our play.As someone said on here a good time to play them as they will get better but dont think they will play as many teams as good as Darlo either.Salfords finishing was piss poor too.

Collins was fantastic as was all the team to be fair.

Big shout out again to Neil Raper and DFCSG for arranging tickets to be left at the turnstyles,massive help,so appreciated.

darlocity
Team Supported: Darlington-Man City

Post by darlocity » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:59 am

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:Great win,Darlo seemed to get more confident as the game went on as they realised Salford were struggling with our play.As someone said on here a good time to play them as they will get better but dont think they will play as many teams as good as Darlo either.Salfords finishing was piss poor too.

Collins was fantastic as was all the team to be fair.

Big shout out again to Neil Raper and DFCSG for arranging tickets to be left at the turnstyles,massive help,so appreciated.
Would like to second the shout out to Niel Raper & DFCSG for leaving the tickets at the turnstiles, and those who advised me how simple it is to book tickets from afar for away matches. The result was outstanding and my son even cheered the second goal.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:53 pm

MFCDarlo3:

I think that was very naughty of you to be winding up that nice Mr Neville just when he's hurting so much. Anyone would think you had something against these luverly Reds :D

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:55 pm

100%. Big thanks to all our volunteers.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:29 pm

LoidLucan wrote:MFCDarlo3:

I think that was very naughty of you to be winding up that nice Mr Neville just when he's hurting so much. Anyone would think you had something against these luverly Reds :D
I know how he feels in fairness after a defeat!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:04 am

Great result, came away feeling really positive. Dom Collins was really solid but everyone put in a shift. I was told that the bar would shut during the match and was surprised to see people constantly buying drinks through the game. Thankfully the lads were just boisterous apart from a couple who ran on the pitch. Agree with the big thanks to our volunteers, especially those who sorted my tickets and even got me one returned- money's going in our fund rather than the millionaires!