Andre Gray - £18.5million

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Andre Gray - £18.5million

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:49 pm

Andre Gray has just completed an £18.5million move from Burnley to Watford...if I am not mistaken he was part of the Hinckley United team which knocked us out of the FA Cup in 2011-2012. Does make me think there must be more of these talents in this league to be unearthed - I suppose that is the alternative windfall from a cup run.

Thing is the common denominator with these players Vardy / Gray / Austin is they tend to have had youth careers with pro-clubs then fallen through. Would we be better taking the 16/17 year olds who fall out of surrounding youth clubs and putting them in our reserves versus persisting with our own youth schemes?

Wonder if Hinckley have an percentages of percentages in terms of sell on clauses. Even half a percent is nearly £100k.

Is that the record fee for an ex non-league player I wonder?

JamesDarlo

Re: Andre Gray - £18.5million

Post by JamesDarlo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Does Pickford beat him as he played in national league?

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Only on loan. Don't think you can count that.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Hinckley went out of business a number of years ago. They now ply their trade in the Midland Football League Div 1 (Step 6) under the guise of Hinckley AFC
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:15 pm

At what age was be taken by Hinkley? Who developed him as a teenager?

Stephen Thompson was an offcast from a league club and most probably are at this level now to be honest - very few amateur clubs will have established youth setups. They can't afford it.

But we have Martin Gray and his ambition.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Surely Wheatley and Fewster are the type of player you're talking about here?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:19 pm

H1987 wrote:Surely Wheatley and Fewster are the type of player you're talking about here?
If that's to me, then yes, they possibly are. I suggested as much in the Cartman thread - that maybe the way forward is to swap out the likes of Cartman longer term and bring in players with more sell-on potential.

It would certainly be one of the more feasible ways we could fund the club sustainably, albeit there's a big element of luck involved.

Like Monaco, on a smaller scale!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Spyman wrote:
H1987 wrote:Surely Wheatley and Fewster are the type of player you're talking about here?
If that's to me, then yes, they possibly are. I suggested as much in the Cartman thread - that maybe the way forward is to swap out the likes of Cartman longer term and bring in players with more sell-on potential.

It would certainly be one of the more feasible ways we could fund the club sustainably, albeit there's a big element of luck involved.

Like Monaco, on a smaller scale!
Yeh probably more value and chance with those guys than any hope of having a player come fully through our ranks and make it. It is quite cliché but don't think it stops it being true. These lads have had a premier league standard football education if they can get to grips with the physicality of this league then there is every chance they have sell on potential.

If they don't cut it after a period of time then they drop further no real risk for us.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:12 pm

Of course, we've tried it to an extent ever since the Northern League.

Curtis Edwards was one that I remember - seemed to be brought in more with a view to selling him back up the pyramid, but he struggled with the nature of the football.

DC