Reserves

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reserves

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:28 pm

I think it would be fun having a team in the Northern League again. We should set up a pitch to raise money to bring Eastbourne up to scratch. Spyman, I reckon you should chuck the first hundred in.
Also, to get round the reserves rule, surely we could just change our name to Darlington Eastbourne or something?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:38 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I think it would be fun having a team in the Northern League again. We should set up a pitch to raise money to bring Eastbourne up to scratch. Spyman, I reckon you should chuck the first hundred in.
Also, to get round the reserves rule, surely we could just change our name to Darlington Eastbourne or something?
What about Darlington 1883?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:I think it would be fun having a team in the Northern League again. We should set up a pitch to raise money to bring Eastbourne up to scratch. Spyman, I reckon you should chuck the first hundred in.
What about Darlington 1883?
That would get the chairmen going!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:59 pm

How about Martin Gray's Vanity Project FC?

or

We'll piss this Tinpot League (again) FC

Do you think we could break our own Northern League points record? It'd be almost worth signing a whole new squad of players just to piss on that league again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Be careful what you wish for Spyman. If our reserves get promoted then our squad players will demand higher wages just for playing in the Northern League, don't you know!
I'm quite enjoying this thread now. Who can think of the best name to change Darlington Reserves to?

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:16 pm

What if we get drawn in the same cup game? At least one Darlo team would get through to the next round :lol:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Great chance to win the FA Vase. Play lots of first teamers, and the Northern League would give us 2 weeks off before every round and extend our season until June.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:32 pm

poppyfield wrote:What if we get drawn in the same cup game? At least one Darlo team would get through to the next round Image
Knowing our luck, the winning Darlo side would field an ineligible player and get kicked out.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Spyman wrote: ....But the 'reserves' would be made up of Conference North (or even National) players on Conference North (or National) wages who just weren't getting a game for us for whatever reason, and players from our U21s or whatever we call them.

We wouldn't be signing a new set of players for the season in the Northern League. We'd be playing already-too-good-for-that-level players in the Northern League (a bit like last time Darlington were in the Northern League, incidentally), who are already on our books.

You think U21 players will choose to play for nothing when another side are offering them say £50 a week?

Some may, but the majority of players would move for the money.

Hence to retain players you will need to pay wages to comparable standards as the league you are in.

If you want to blind yourself to the simple financial facts about football, then carry on.

It is a simple fact of football that the higher up the pyramid you go, the higher the costs are. v

As well as the players, you need suitable coaching staff and again they are unlikely to work for nothing when someone else will pay them to do the same thing.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:46 pm

But they'll be Darlington FC players who will be pushing for the first team.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:52 pm

spen666 wrote:
Spyman wrote: ....But the 'reserves' would be made up of Conference North (or even National) players on Conference North (or National) wages who just weren't getting a game for us for whatever reason, and players from our U21s or whatever we call them.

We wouldn't be signing a new set of players for the season in the Northern League. We'd be playing already-too-good-for-that-level players in the Northern League (a bit like last time Darlington were in the Northern League, incidentally), who are already on our books.

You think U21 players will choose to play for nothing when another side are offering them say £50 a week?

Hence to retain players you will need to pay wages to comparable standards as the league you are in.

If you want to blind yourself to the simple financial facts about football, then carry on.

It is a simple fact of football that the higher up the pyramid you go, the higher the costs are. v

As well as the players, you need suitable coaching staff and again they are unlikely to work for nothing when someone else will pay them to do the same thing.
Oh you are so boring with your faux passive aggressive outrage.

Keep your wig on baldy and join in the fun.

Henley

Post by Henley » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:53 pm

spen666 wrote:

Fourking Hell - how can someone be this stupid?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:59 pm

Spen, just honestly answer this question. Do you know how a reserve team is run? For a self-confessed genius you are showing that you don't know the difference between a standard club and a reserve team. Your points would be very valid - if we weren't talking about a reserve team. But I'm afraid we are.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henley

Post by Henley » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:01 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Spen, just honestly answer this question. Do you know how a reserve team is run?
It's no use - we're way past the Blackadder teaching Baldrick to count stage now.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:11 pm

Henley wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Spen, just honestly answer this question. Do you know how a reserve team is run?
It's no use - we're way past the Blackadder teaching Baldrick to count stage now.

VodkaVic - "Now Spen - I have 18 reserve team players. Now if I add two more, what do I have?"

Spen - "Some beans"

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:02 pm

You'd think Spen, being a Spennymoor fan, would grasp the concept of a team made up of players not good enough to get in Darlos first team.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:54 pm

I feel let down, disillusioned and disappointed. I have always thought of Spen as highly knowledgeable and looked up to him with his astonishing grasp of all things legal. And now he's ruined it. Gutted.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:58 pm

On reading through this thread for the first time just now (entertaining as it is) it would seem that the more Spen hammers out his case, the weaker it gets.

I hope this doesn't apply to his legal work!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:41 pm

At least if we go bust again, we'd have a team already in a league and wouldn't need to start from scratch!! I'll get my coat.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:50 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:At least if we go bust again.
Are you taking the piss?

We have never been bust, and are the same club we have always been since our formation in 1883.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:31 am

Quakerz wrote:
Are you taking the piss?

We have never been bust, and are the same club we have always been since our formation in 1883.
And if we were to go bust, surely the reserve team would go too?

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:53 am

Quakerz wrote:
Are you taking the piss?

Of course I was, thought you knew me better than that Paul.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:59 am

Spen will be back on in a minute arguing that legally we did go bust.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:11 am

spen666 wrote:

But we are already higher up the pyramid than the Northern League. These players are already on our books, earning whatever they earn to be part of a Conference North squad.

If we use your logic, we'll probably save money by asking them to turn out for a team lower down the pyramid. :crazy:

DC

Henley

Post by Henley » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:15 am

Spyman wrote: But we are already higher up the pyramid than the Northern League. These players are already on our books, earning whatever they earn to be part of a Conference North squad.

If we use your logic, we'll probably save money by asking them to turn out for a team lower down the pyramid. :crazy:
It'd be unbelievable that this would need explaining to a school kid nevermind a supposed lawyer.