Fenwick gone

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Fenwick gone

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:25 am

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote: Can even put the offsides down to being overly keen to get in on goal.
Or a complete lack of positional sense and generally not being very good.
Obviously people better qualified thought him worthy of a chance.
and then thought otherwise after a quite short period of time...

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:47 am

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote: Can even put the offsides down to being overly keen to get in on goal.
Or a complete lack of positional sense and generally not being very good.
Obviously people better qualified thought him worthy of a chance.
They clearly didn't think that much of him, given he hardly played and then left three and a half weeks into the season.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:58 am

So pretty much as he was at York then, a spare part with a habit of standing still and letting the game pass him by.

On the plus side Fewster does what Fenwick tries (or thinks he tries) to do only much, much better. If this is to free up space for him then it's a no-brainer.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:16 am

Fenwick just looks like one of them non-league gambles which didn't pay off and he is slowly returning to his level.

Feels remarkably similar to Kirk Jackson / Nathan Fisher / James Walshaw before him who turned professional based on their prowess at lower levels and whilst there was technical aptitude application fell short against better players.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:23 am

To be fair to Fisher, he did alright at Conference level with Gateshead. Fell apart when he joined us.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:25 am

Mikey Roberts available at Whitby. Always thought he was a pretty good striker.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:15 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Mikey Roberts available at Whitby. Always thought he was a pretty good striker.
He did a couple of years ago, but if he's struggling to get into the first team at Whitby now it suggests his career is starting to go backwards.

He was on loan in the Northern League last season.

Certainly not someone I think we should be looking at.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Surprised, he's not that old, about 25/26 isn't he? Could be any number of reasons he's not getting a game for Whitby other than he's going backwards - fall out with manager, system they are playing, etc. Only season before last he got 24 goals in Evostick Prem, which was more than our top scorer got. Rapid fall off if that's the case, but can and does happen.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:43 am

Anyone got the contact number for Farsley Celtic?

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:29 am

jjljks wrote:Anyone got the contact number for Farsley Celtic?
I'm sure Martin has their number IF he wants to use it
I liked Carman. But, we should be looking forwards not backwards..

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:06 am

Recipe.

Take 3 or 4 big beast Conference North defenders -
add 1 Nathan Cartman to play against them -
leave to stew for 90 minutes -
End result - frustration!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:29 am

One month loans last 28 days, don't believe you can recall before then. Cartman has said on twitter his last game on loan is Sep 9th.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:48 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Recipe.

Our two main strikers have 1 in 7 each this season. I don't think Cartman would do any worse than that, would certainly have offered us more than Fenwick over the spell he was here. Without paying decent money out, which could be used better elsewhere, I think it will be harder than some seem to think to find better than Cartman.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:09 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:

Our two main strikers have 1 in 7 each this season. I don't think Cartman would do any worse than that, would certainly have offered us more than Fenwick over the spell he was here. Without paying decent money out, which could be used better elsewhere, I think it will be harder than some seem to think to find better than Cartman.
I call our two main strikers Beck and Caton, and I think they've scored one each.

However ... you do make a good point.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:21 pm

Beano wrote:In terms of our attacking play, Beck has become a victim of his own success.

Mark Beck is a fantastic target man, at times totally unplayable, but we've become one-dimensional and expect him to perform miracles in terms of his output. One player cannot act as our only outlet for 90 mins, nor is he the the most mobile given his style of play.
This 100%. Last season we mixed it up and we were are exciting as I've ever seen a Darlo team because we attacked in a variety of ways...also couldn't defend so there were bags of goals and super open games every week. This season we seem more capable of being tight for longer (though still give up some comedy goals), but going forward Thommo and Gillies are far less adventurous, and we seem to expect Beck to do more and more. He looked exhausted after an hour on Monday because we never gave him a breather, kept wellying balls for him to chase or win. We need to get back to last season's variety, getting Turnbull more involved and looking to get the wide players in behind more rather than just looking to feed on Beck's flicks every time.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:33 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:

Agreed Harry, add to that Beck scored more goals per game last season with Cartman in the match day squad...................or is that too tenuous a link? :shh:

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:16 pm

Breedon wrote:
Beano wrote:In terms of our attacking play, Beck has become a victim of his own success.

Mark Beck is a fantastic target man, at times totally unplayable, but we've become one-dimensional and expect him to perform miracles in terms of his output. One player cannot act as our only outlet for 90 mins, nor is he the the most mobile given his style of play.
This 100%. Last season we mixed it up and we were are exciting as I've ever seen a Darlo team because we attacked in a variety of ways...also couldn't defend so there were bags of goals and super open games every week. This season we seem more capable of being tight for longer (though still give up some comedy goals), but going forward Thommo and Gillies are far less adventurous, and we seem to expect Beck to do more and more. He looked exhausted after an hour on Monday because we never gave him a breather, kept wellying balls for him to chase or win. We need to get back to last season's variety, getting Turnbull more involved and looking to get the wide players in behind more rather than just looking to feed on Beck's flicks every time.
Totally agreed.

theoriginalcount

Post by theoriginalcount » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:00 pm

So out of the players at the Arena pre-season photo shoot, three have departed and one out on loan (plus Wearmouth), and it's still August... Talk of Bartlett on his way soon too..

Fenwick is no big loss having seen what I've seen of him but I still don't see anything better with Caton/Thommo that we didn't have with Cartman. Thommo has been a great servant to the club but he's not looked like a VNLN player and as for Beck, a great target man who will get you goals, but other teams have sussed this out and given he appears to be the first name on the team-sheet, then we make it easy for the opposition. Stop Beck at all costs, the refs won't do anything about it, and all of a sudden free-scoring Darlo have netted twice in four matches...

Why not try something different up front? Why not surprise the opposition and stick Becky on the bench and use him as an option rather than a fixture for a couple of matches seeing as though his goals have dried up?

Give Saunders and Caton a chance to link up, likewise Thommo perhaps, and get Cartman/Wearmouth back from their loan spells when over and give them a shot together.

Turnbull has been overrun in midfield lately and you can see his frustration, epitomised with the booking against Spenny, Fergie and Galbraith trip over each other on the left as both are attacking full-backs and as for Gillies, the most naturally talented player in the squad, can someone put something in his pre-match tea to make him look interested?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:25 pm

theoriginalcount wrote:So out of the players at the Arena pre-season photo shoot, three have departed and one out on loan (plus Wearmouth), and it's still August... Talk of Bartlett on his way soon too..

Fenwick is no big loss having seen what I've seen of him but I still don't see anything better with Caton/Thommo that we didn't have with Cartman. Thommo has been a great servant to the club but he's not looked like a VNLN player and as for Beck, a great target man who will get you goals, but other teams have sussed this out and given he appears to be the first name on the team-sheet, then we make it easy for the opposition. Stop Beck at all costs, the refs won't do anything about it, and all of a sudden free-scoring Darlo have netted twice in four matches...

Why not try something different up front? Why not surprise the opposition and stick Becky on the bench and use him as an option rather than a fixture for a couple of matches seeing as though his goals have dried up?

Give Saunders and Caton a chance to link up, likewise Thommo perhaps, and get Cartman/Wearmouth back from their loan spells when over and give them a shot together.

Turnbull has been overrun in midfield lately and you can see his frustration, epitomised with the booking against Spenny, Fergie and Galbraith trip over each other on the left as both are attacking full-backs and as for Gillies, the most naturally talented player in the squad, can someone put something in his pre-match tea to make him look interested?
The only significant change we made in an attacking sense which correlates directly with the end of free-scoring Darlo is bringing Thompson back in for Ferguson on the left wing.

With Ferguson playing in front of Galbraith you not only have two players on the left who can attack and defend, but Galbraith's delivery from wide areas is excellent and we've lost that supply to Beck by putting him in central defence.

With Thompson and Gillies on the wings you have two players who are not inclined to track back. This was identified as an issue last season and a reason why we were often exposed defensively.

I hope Gray gets Ferguson back on the wing, Galbraith back to left back and then bring Brown in alongside Collins with Marrs on the right. A much more balanced side and one which reflects the excellent start we made to the season.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:33 pm

Spyman wrote:
theoriginalcount wrote:So out of the players at the Arena pre-season photo shoot, three have departed and one out on loan (plus Wearmouth), and it's still August... Talk of Bartlett on his way soon too..

The only significant change we made in an attacking sense which correlates directly with the end of free-scoring Darlo is bringing Thompson back in for Ferguson on the left wing.

With Ferguson playing in front of Galbraith you not only have two players on the left who can attack and defend, but Galbraith's delivery from wide areas is excellent and we've lost that supply to Beck by putting him in central defence.

With Thompson and Gillies on the wings you have two players who are not inclined to track back. This was identified as an issue last season and a reason why we were often exposed defensively.

I hope Gray gets Ferguson back on the wing, Galbraith back to left back and then bring Brown in alongside Collins with Marrs on the right. A much more balanced side and one which reflects the excellent start we made to the season.
Galbraith to centre half was a moved forced on Gray due to injuries. Galbraith was left back on Monday with Ferguson in what appeared to be either a 3 or 5 man midfield.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:35 pm

Spyman wrote:
Like he did on Monday.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:41 pm

loan_star wrote:
Galbraith to centre half was a moved forced on Gray due to injuries. Galbraith was left back on Monday with Ferguson in what appeared to be either a 3 or 5 man midfield.
There were other options at centre half which would've disrupted the team less.
Didn't realise that was the shape on Monday - to be honest I couldn't really work it out but that makes sense!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:35 am

Spyman wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Didn't realise that was the shape on Monday - to be honest I couldn't really work it out but that makes sense!
There were no other options when it happened at York. The new formation worked second half at York so Gray was right to keep confidence with it for the following game at least.

As for mondays formation, it looked to me like the players couldn't work it out either, add to the problem of kicking into the wind I think that was one good reason for the below par first half.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:44 am

loan_star wrote:
Spyman wrote:
loan_star wrote:
There were no other options when it happened at York. The new formation worked second half at York so Gray was right to keep confidence with it for the following game at least.

As for mondays formation, it looked to me like the players couldn't work it out either, add to the problem of kicking into the wind I think that was one good reason for the below par first half.
Except he didn't stick with the second half at York because Scott didn't start the next game, did he?

I thought Scott came on for Brown and Galbraith moved inside with a three in midfield of Scott, Turnbull and Syers, Ferguson at left back?

We then went back to a 4-4-2 with Thompson and Gillies either side of Caton and Beck in the next game against Telford.

Can't recall but were we not 4-4-2 against North Ferriby with Thompson and Gillies either side of Caton and Beck again? And then 4-3-3 (or 4-5-1) against Spennymoor with Turnbull, Syers and Ferguson in midfield? Thompson and Gillies on the wings presumably.

DC

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:03 pm

Signed for Malta premier league team naxxar lions fc .

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:51 pm

roadrunner wrote:Signed for Malta premier league team naxxar lions fc .
Maybe went to watch the England game and accidentally landed himself a new club

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:39 pm

Will do alright if they don't play offside