Southport v Darlo Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport v Darlo Match Thread

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:47 pm

We looked very fragile at the back second half. Bartlett should have stopped the second goal. Forwards frequently seem to give the keeper the chance to make the save or are weak with the finish instead of burying it. Catons not a finisher and not the best winger weve had neither

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:18 pm

coles wrote:Crying out for a goal scorer we've let our most natural finisher go out on loan
The same Nathan Cartman who was being criticised last season for erm...not finishing efficiently enough.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:19 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Finished 2-0, their goalie MOM, cannot hit a barn door at present, no win in 5 and only 2 goals scored.MG has decisions to make whether to continue with the likes of Beck, Caton and Syers who are quite simply not good enough at this level.Big problems for MG as his budget appears to be stretched.Chorley on Tuesday is a very important game now and they certainly have a strong defence so looks like all we can hope for is a 0-0.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Give me a break.

Beck was voted player of the season last season. Clearly good enough.

Syers also quite clearly good enough.

Caton has played his career as a winger so why Gray thinks he is the solution up front I don't know but the experiment clearly isn't working.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
All about opinions Spyman, you have yours and I have mine.
And your opinion about Beck is stupid and not based on anything other than knee-jerking of the highest order.

Nothing like a bad run to bring out the hyperbole.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Bit of perspective here. They were very understrength due to injuries and suspension and their goals were both scored by teenagers.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:26 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Finished 2-0, their goalie MOM, cannot hit a barn door at present, no win in 5 and only 2 goals scored.MG has decisions to make whether to continue with the likes of Beck, Caton and Syers who are quite simply not good enough at this level.Big problems for MG as his budget appears to be stretched.Chorley on Tuesday is a very important game now and they certainly have a strong defence so looks like all we can hope for is a 0-0.

Beck not good enough? :lol:

Yet in another thread you wanted Cartman back, even though Beck was miles ahead of him in the scoring charts last season!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Felt we were comfortable first half but poor most of second half apart from last five minutes. That second goal bent so much! The scouse chants were hilarious by the way. It's 20 miles away but I know some of our support is geographically challenged. How humourous.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Anyway we cant rely on cartman to aid a vitally important fa cup run as hes cuptied after today.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:31 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Felt we were comfortable first half but poor most of second half apart from last five minutes. That second goal bent so much! The scouse chants were hilarious by the way. It's 20 miles away but I know some of our support is mentally challenged. How humourous.
Quote edited for accuracy. Uncovered seems to breed barmpots :crazy:

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:31 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Anyway we cant rely on cartman to aid a vitally important fa cup run as hes cuptied after today.
That suggests to me that we aren't expecting him back anytime soon.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:35 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:MG has decisions to make whether to continue with the likes of Beck, Caton and Syers who are quite simply not good enough at this level
Caton I will give you that the jury is still out on, but the other 2? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:42 pm

I think something needs clarifying with catons role in the team as people keep saying hes really a winger. When he arrived he said he sees himself in a more central role as a no. 10 and he said one of the reasons he came here was because the boss shared that view. So in his own view hes most effective as a striker who can also play as a winger.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:53 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I think something needs clarifying with catons role in the team as people keep saying hes really a winger. When he arrived he said he sees himself in a more central role as a no. 10 and he said one of the reasons he came here was because the boss shared that view. So in his own view hes most effective as a striker who can also play as a winger.
Caton looks, from what I've seen, a gifted footballer. But talented doesn't necessarily equal effective. I suppose it's up to Caton and Gray to find a role for him which makes him effective.

A defeat today wasn't particularly unexpected considering the opposition, and we're still 7th. We could certainly do with a win though. Roll on Tuesday (against a team who just beat York at home..!)

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:01 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Anyway we cant rely on cartman to aid a vitally important fa cup run as hes cuptied after today.

Please tell me you're joking?! Some questionable decisions over the last few weeks but this one just smacks of stupidity or that he really isn't coming back. Either we better have a very good option lined up.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:04 pm

I think grays solution to the fact that he doesnt seem to have the killer instinct in front of goal is to stick caton pon the wing as he has some pace. Re cartman he played in an fa cup qualifier in which farsley were knocked out.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:08 pm

Something needs to happen and quickly before this season becomes in danger of fizzling out in September. What was the point of winning at Salford and giving our all at York to lose against sides like North Ferriby?
Whether it's Cartman's return or what I don't know, but if I was MG I know what I'd be saying to the team and I'd be reminding them that our stated intention before the season began was to get promoted. And to do that they better start winning or support will drop away.
It seems to me as well that we do badly whenever Brown isn't playing.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:09 pm

I'm not surprised Catons confidence has taken a beating. He missed a lot of chances at North Ferriby.... then he's dropped... then immediately brought back.... I don't know. It won't do a lot for a players mindset.

We need a shake up, but i don't really know how to do it. I'd at least play Saunders. All the others are misfiring, and his pace will scare teams. Beck, in spite of poor form, is undroppable for me, but we need another option. I make no secret i'd hoped it would be Fewster. It's not to be. It could end up we go back to Cartman at this rate.

In the middle, Syers out for a bit more steel with Portas, and lets get back to the basics. Collins needs to be at centre back. By far our best, and he was just coming off a MOTM performance there against Spen.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:14 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:Something needs to happen and quickly before this season becomes in danger of fizzling out in September. What was the point of winning at Salford and giving our all at York to lose against sides like North Ferriby?
Whether it's Cartman's return or what I don't know, but if I was MG I know what I'd be saying to the team and I'd be reminding them that our stated intention before the season began was to get promoted. And to do that they better start winning or support will drop away.
We lost at North Ferriby must of missed there winning goalImageImageImage

Mario

Post by Mario » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Caton, Gillies, Thompson, Syers, all running into the same areas and not doing enough with the knock-ons from Beck. All were below par today especially in the second half.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:43 pm

loan_star wrote:

Beck not good enough? :lol:

Yet in another thread you wanted Cartman back, even though Beck was miles ahead of him in the scoring charts last season!
Where have I said I want Nathan back,get your facts right.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:47 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:Something needs to happen and quickly before this season becomes in danger of fizzling out in September. What was the point of winning at Salford and giving our all at York to lose against sides like North Ferriby?
Yes, because that's how football works. Tell you what, would you be happier we lost to Salford and York, and beat North Ferriby and Telford? As for fizzling out in September, we are still in a play off place. I am sure the players go out intending to win. Unfortunately, so do the opposition. How annoying. Wibbler.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:48 pm

al_quaker wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:MG has decisions to make whether to continue with the likes of Beck, Caton and Syers who are quite simply not good enough at this level
Caton I will give you that the jury is still out on, but the other 2? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tell me who you prefer,Syers or Portas.
And while we are at it, when did Syers have a good game in your opinion this season.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:58 pm

Gonna be tough with galbraiths leg fracture

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:04 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Give me a break.

Beck was voted player of the season last season. Clearly good enough.

Syers also quite clearly good enough.

Caton has played his career as a winger so why Gray thinks he is the solution up front I don't know but the experiment clearly isn't working.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
All about opinions Spyman, you have yours and I have mine.
And your opinion about Beck is stupid and not based on anything other than knee-jerking of the highest order.

Nothing like a bad run to bring out the hyperbole.
Hey Grampsy, cut out the insults eh,can we not make an opinion without your nasty replies which you make a regular habit of.In MY OPINION Beck is missing too many chances and is not my type of centre forward and this has been my opinion for a while and most certainly not a knee jerk reaction...ok.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:24 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote: Hey Grampsy, cut out the insults eh,can we not make an opinion without your nasty replies which you make a regular habit of.In MY OPINION Beck is missing too many chances and is not my type of centre forward and this has been my opinion for a while and most certainly not a knee jerk reaction...ok.
No one has a right not to be insulted. If your opinion is stupid, I'm going to tell you that. You should know that by now.

You've got a right to express it (and I'll defend your right to express it), but it doesn't mean anyone has to respect it - and on this thread no one else does respect it.

Your opinion on Beck (our player of the year last season) is stupid and based on your own hysterical reaction to today's result. If it's been your opinion for a while, why, when he was our player of the season, did you not rate him?

In fact, slagging three players off from behind a keyboard isn't particularly pleasant. I'm not the nasty one here.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Will we need to bring a defender in on loan for a while then? So I make it Hunter and Galbraith with fractures. Jeez.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:38 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Another bad mistake at the back, 1 down.

For me Gillies takes a lot of blame for the first goal, and for giving the ball away on many other occasions. Had the ball outside their penalty area then tried something stupid, and effectively passed the ball to them who then hit us on the counter attack. Burgess could have made the tackle, so he was at fault as well. I though Kev played really well apart from that after such a long lay off.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:43 pm

Well the Home Sponsor is hardly going to give the MOM award to an opposition player are they? :thumbup: Bartlett for me could have been MON as well, his overall game, distribution, saves, kicks, command of the box, were all great I thought.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:50 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Gonna be tough with galbraiths leg fracture
Not another leg fracture after last Saturday with Hunter... God we are cursed

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:54 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Tell me who you prefer,Syers or Portas.
And while we are at it, when did Syers have a good game in your opinion this season.
I personally think Syers is a better footballer than Portas, but I also think both will be important players this season.

Syers hasn't been at his best this season in the games I've seen this season, although he's been solid in most games I've seen him in. However, he was absolutely quality in loads of games last season. Which therefore means he is good enough at this level, which is the statement I was laughing at. You honestly think Syers is only good enough for the Evostik Prem?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote: Hey Grampsy, cut out the insults eh,can we not make an opinion without your nasty replies which you make a regular habit of.In MY OPINION Beck is missing too many chances and is not my type of centre forward and this has been my opinion for a while and most certainly not a knee jerk reaction...ok.
No one has a right not to be insulted. If your opinion is stupid, I'm going to tell you that. You should know that by now.

You've got a right to express it (and I'll defend your right to express it), but it doesn't mean anyone has to respect it - and on this thread no one else does respect it.

Your opinion on Beck (our player of the year last season) is stupid and based on your own hysterical reaction to today's result. If it's been your opinion for a while, why, when he was our player of the season, did you not rate him?

In fact, slagging three players off from behind a keyboard isn't particularly pleasant. I'm not the nasty one here.
Actually Grampsy looking over your posts again I realise you are spot on and I am way off the mark, for that I apologise and was obviously a little harsh on our strikers for only hitting the onion sack twice in the last 5 games.Hopefully we will take this out on Chorley on Tuesday...roll on.