Chorley v Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dfcjosh
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Chorley v Darlington

Post by dfcjosh » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:27 pm

H1987 wrote:FFS. No time for abuse, but it'd be nice to see Gray asked some searching questions by our journos for once. What's gone wrong, how he's going to fix it, and dare i say it, question wasting money on players coming in and moving on whilst barely playing. Why is Wheatley here and not even on the bench? The midfield is completely absent and has been for a few games, if he won't use him now, why are we spending money on him being here? He was playing for Boro's reserves last year, i doubt the level is too much for him.

Thompson needs dropping. I really have my doubts he is up to playing at this level. He's neither quick enough, nor physical enough, nor good enough with the ball at his feet to have a real impact.
Wheatley will be unbelievable in the future, I can almost guarantee he'll be another one of those that got away.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Trying to be objective, this league is tougher than last season and I feel other teams have strengthened probably more than we have.We only had Collins and Caton in the team tonight, all the remaining players are from last season.We desperately need more pace and if MG has used his playing budget then the loan system is his only solution.Injuries to Hunter,Brown and Galbraith is a massive blow so early in the season and you have to feel for MG.This league is all over the place with some crazy results but we simply have to win our next 2 home games ands hopefully we can get back into the mix but if we slip up then we will be looking more to the bottom.Big week ahead.

offside

Post by offside » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:47 pm

sada8022 wrote:Dont understand why we persist with Thompson up front it's not working
Never seen Thompson play 1 good game yet this season !!

offside

Post by offside » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:49 pm

AndyPark wrote:Am I allowed to complain yet?
Everyone can have a opinion mate ... If people can't see the way we playing isn't working and we need to start changing stuff then they need to take there heads out there arse !!!

andyatdarlo

Post by andyatdarlo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:51 pm

That was terrible! Best player on the pitch was Bartlett. Seriously worried about where we go from here. 3 home games now to try & sort it out, which I have to believe we will.
A blip?

darlobob

Post by darlobob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Bartlett made some great saves tonight without him and the post, it could have a great deal worse.

offside

Post by offside » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:18 pm

H1987 wrote:FFS. No time for abuse, but it'd be nice to see Gray asked some searching questions by our journos for once. What's gone wrong, how he's going to fix it, and dare i say it, question wasting money on players coming in and moving on whilst barely playing. Why is Wheatley here and not even on the bench? The midfield is completely absent and has been for a few games, if he won't use him now, why are we spending money on him being here? He was playing for Boro's reserves last year, i doubt the level is too much for him.

Thompson needs dropping. I really have my doubts he is up to playing at this level. He's neither quick enough, nor physical enough, nor good enough with the ball at his feet to have a real impact.
Totally agree with this

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:21 pm

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk[/quote]

Well all those possible reasons could explain a sustained drop in form.

The fact is we are at a crossroads in terms of the club we want to be, whether we have an investor lined up or not. Our fans have done something truly miraculous this summer. They have raised a six figure sum to relay the pitch, put out a competitive team and start work on a new stand. But there are bigger, richer teams in our league and we frankly exceeded expectations last year. The more bankrolled teams in the 92 and conference, the less room there is for the likes of us, and teams we used to play in the league will be pitched at our level. I always thought we'd plateau at this level because of the restraints we face, and I'm fairly okay with it.

But evidently not everyone will be. Just because Singh has gone the conversation won't go away. If we want somebody to spunk money away with no guarantee of either success or security then we have to be a different club than the one that has just risen three leagues in four years, because this one is at its current ceiling.

As such, we won't win every game, we'll have sticky patches, and people will either panic and demand Gray be sacked or suck it up and focus on the long term.[/quote]
Spot on. Without an investor this is now our level. The world has moved on since we were a league club, and we have no divine right to get back. Injuries to pretty much our whole back four, plus replacements coming back from injury hasn't helped, and couldn't have been planned for. This may have to be a season where we take stock, and determine how we want to go forward.

piggy

Post by piggy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:34 pm

Think MG alludes to this in his post match interview 'Look at the bigger picture'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV71F48XXSY

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:54 pm

piggy wrote:Think MG alludes to this in his post match interview 'Look at the bigger picture'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV71F48XXSY
He makes excuses, no one expects us to win every game. He's basically turned round and said don't criticise me it's a hard league, We've travelled lots, played lots.

We are playing a CB that he says shouldn't be playing yet, despite us signing one.

What's the point of a reserve team if we can't use players from that too, if they aren't deemed good enough then maybe save some money and not bother with reserves.

We might have injuries but the squad we have shouldn't be 3 nil down at half time against a side that had taken 8 games to score 5 goals.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

GaryChapman=God

Post by GaryChapman=God » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:39 am

:oops:
Last edited by GaryChapman=God on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:23 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:9
Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Well all those possible reasons could explain a sustained drop in form.

The fact is we are at a crossroads in terms of the club we want to be, whether we have an investor lined up or not. Our fans have done something truly miraculous this summer. They have raised a six figure sum to relay the pitch, put out a competitive team and start work on a new stand. But there are bigger, richer teams in our league and we frankly exceeded expectations last year. The more bankrolled teams in the 92 and conference, the less room there is for the likes of us, and teams we used to play in the league will be pitched at our level. I always thought we'd plateau at this level because of the restraints we face, and I'm fairly okay with it.

But evidently not everyone will be. Just because Singh has gone the conversation won't go away. If we want somebody to spunk money away with no guarantee of either success or security then we have to be a different club than the one that has just risen three leagues in four years, because this one is at its current ceiling.

As such, we won't win every game, we'll have sticky patches, and people will either panic and demand Gray be sacked or suck it up and focus on the long term.[/quote]
Spot on. Without an investor this is now our level. The world has moved on since we were a league club, and we have no divine right to get back. Injuries to pretty much our whole back four, plus replacements coming back from injury hasn't helped, and couldn't have been planned for. This may have to be a season where we take stock, and determine how we want to go forward.[/quote]

A good precis of my own thoughts. This is indeed our current ceiling as far as I am concerned. I'm hoping we can exceed expectations in the cup to generate revenue and a connect with the local populace. Watching the game tonight I really learned a lot about where we are. It doesn't change my view of the bigger picture which is that growth will be stop start from now on rather than seamless. A long journey of development and sustainability. we've been indulged the last 5 years.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:21 am

I've put my match thoughts on another thread but on reflection apart from the result last night's match experience was exactly why I still keep the faith. Driving up with a mate, meeting friends there, chatting to other Darlo fans we know, meeting Rob from DFCSG, banter with the home fans with no hostility, a brilliant steak pie, friendly volunteers and stewards, being able to walk around the ground at any time and sit down if you wanted. Imagine walking into Anfield and being able to pick your space! We've been here before and much worse so here's to a cup run and some decent results and if not we'll still be here.

coles

Post by coles » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:22 am

Well said Princes town finally someone talking sense.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:20 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Trying to be objective, this league is tougher than last season and I feel other teams have strengthened probably more than we have.We only had Collins and Caton in the team tonight, all the remaining players are from last season.We desperately need more pace and if MG has used his playing budget then the loan system is his only solution.Injuries to Hunter,Brown and Galbraith is a massive blow so early in the season and you have to feel for MG.This league is all over the place with some crazy results but we simply have to win our next 2 home games ands hopefully we can get back into the mix but if we slip up then we will be looking more to the bottom.Big week ahead.
We have added two players to the team that finished 5th last season. Others may have strengthened but I don't think the 'we've not got the players' excuse flies. After two or three games when we'd beaten Salford and drawn with York we were all discussing how much stronger we looked and what an upgrade Caton was on last season.

We've no doubt been very unlucky with defensive injuries and this has upset the balance and momentum. Someone mentioned last night that Galbraith was 50/50 which must mean he can't be out too long. Get him and Marrs back either side of Brown and Collins and we can hopefully start doing the simple things right again, steady the ship and start getting results.

Cartman will most likely be back after Saturday and will be match fit having had a run of games, so may well come back in and add a bit of spark and confidence up front.

Far too early to start writing off the season. Good to hear Martin Gray acknowledging the 'bigger picture' as well.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:58 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:I've put my match thoughts on another thread but on reflection apart from the result last night's match experience was exactly why I still keep the faith. Driving up with a mate, meeting friends there, chatting to other Darlo fans we know, meeting Rob from DFCSG, banter with the home fans with no hostility, a brilliant steak pie, friendly volunteers and stewards, being able to walk around the ground at any time and sit down if you wanted. Imagine walking into Anfield and being able to pick your space! We've been here before and much worse so here's to a cup run and some decent results and if not we'll still be here.

A brilliant description of some of the things that make non league football so good.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:14 am

Stayed away last night after finding out result as expected a meltdown. Poor result, poor performance but we still good enough and have faith in Martin Gray as a manager to get things right.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:21 am

Completely agree about the bigger picture, that we are unlucky this season with injuries and that Martin Gray is hurting like we are, no doubt.

But why won't anybody ask him the questions we are all struggling with, e.g. Signing players then letting them go, signing Wheatley and not playing him even in the squad when our midfield has looked poor, why continue to play long for 70% of games when actually we look really threatening in the other 30% when playing to feet etc etc.

Bottom line is that he has not improved the team compared to last year and brought no one in again who has genuine pace. Chorley were the complete opposite and tore us apart, playing to feet with pace all round the team.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:35 am

I didn't go last night, and it sounded like a very poor performance, but after 9 games we're about where I thought we might be based on our fixtures. It has been poor the last few games - confidence is down, key players are not playing as well as they can, the defence is still struggling (injuries certainly not helping there, but certainly not all to blame), and, like when we had a poor run last season, we can be too predictable when attacking.

But, we've got a couple of winnable games coming up - if we get 6 points from them then we'll probably be back towards the top 7ish, confidence will be up, and things will feel a lot better. If we can get a good start and an early goal on Saturday, I reckon we will see the play of the first few games of the season re-appear very quickly.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:36 am

The Chorley manager wasn't far short in his interview when he laughed that "It should've been about 16 or 17." Yes, we had injuries, yes, we've had some tough games and yes there are some decent teams in a stronger league this season but it was still alarming how poorly we were set up and how it looked like a promotion side against a team from a lower league. We've got to be stronger than that with our backs against the wall.
If the players are drained from the hectic start to the season, it won't have helped that their coach is supposed to have broken down and they got back at God knows what time this morning.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:51 am

LoidLucan wrote:If the players are drained from the hectic start to the season, it won't have helped that their coach is supposed to have broken down and they got back at God knows what time this morning.
I am sure it's not just the Darlo players that are drained.....

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:51 am

LoidLucan wrote:The Chorley manager wasn't far short in his interview when he laughed that "It should've been about 16 or 17." Yes, we had injuries, yes, we've had some tough games and yes there are some decent teams in a stronger league this season but it was still alarming how poorly we were set up and how it looked like a promotion side against a team from a lower league. We've got to be stronger than that with our backs against the wall.
If the players are drained from the hectic start to the season, it won't have helped that their coach is supposed to have broken down and they got back at God knows what time this morning.

Thought that only happened to tinpot clubs!

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:14 am

spen666 wrote: Thought that only happened to tinpot clubs!
No, that's clubs who don't fulfill their fixtures.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:46 am

Awful night, started terribly and got worse. We're in a bad run of form for sure and with injuries mounting up we are in desperate need of new faces or a decent rest, neither of which are likely to happen.

This is a tough league and it's massive oversimplification to say "well we finished 5th last season therefore we should do again". Did anyone expect Leicester to win the PL last season because they did the season before?

Football doesn't work like that. We were lucky as hell with injuries last season, had £40k more in the playing budget, hardly played a cup game all season and had real momentum from the previous season. We overperformed last season, no doubt.

There's some obvious personnel and tactical questions that others have covered. We're still short on pace across the pitch, we still have nobody offering any support to Beck whatsoever, the midfield are being overrun and the walking wounded of the back four are only half fit and look scared of their own shadow.

Every successful team needs to be constantly improving and we haven't been able to do that.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:50 am

m62exile wrote:Awful night, started terribly and got worse. We're in a bad run of form for sure and with injuries mounting up we are in desperate need of new faces or a decent rest, neither of which are likely to happen.

This is a tough league and it's massive oversimplification to say "well we finished 5th last season therefore we should do again". Did anyone expect Leicester to win the PL last season because they did the season before?

Football doesn't work like that. We were lucky as hell with injuries last season, had £40k more in the playing budget, hardly played a cup game all season and had real momentum from the previous season. We overperformed last season, no doubt.

There's some obvious personnel and tactical questions that others have covered. We're still short on pace across the pitch, we still have nobody offering any support to Beck whatsoever, the midfield are being overrun and the walking wounded of the back four are only half fit and look scared of their own shadow.

Every successful team needs to be constantly improving and we haven't been able to do that.
Not sure anyone has said anywhere that we finished 5th last season so we should do again.

By all accounts we also do not have £40k less in the playing budget than we had last season. We have more or less the same as last season (fans donated £40k and another £40k came from season ticket sales to make up the £80k shortfall on last year's budget).
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Spyman wrote:
m62exile wrote:Awful night, started terribly and got worse. We're in a bad run of form for sure and with injuries mounting up we are in desperate need of new faces or a decent rest, neither of which are likely to happen.

Not sure anyone has said anywhere that we finished 5th last season so we should do again.

By all accounts we also do not have £40k less in the playing budget than we had last season. We have more or less the same as last season (fans donated £40k and another £40k came from season ticket sales to make up the £80k shortfall on last year's budget).
I think we all have a right to question the judgement on whether the club should have pumped that 40k in when we have a stand to build that we are struggling to raise the funds for.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:02 pm

The club hasn't "put in 40k from ST sales", or "pumped in 40k" to match what the fans have raised. There is no physical 40k from the club which they were sitting on and could have otherwise chucked on the seats.

The budget was cut by 80k so we can run break even this season. The fans have chucked in 40k still leaving us 40k short of last seasons budget, but because the club have ALSO increased gate prices by £2 for non ST holders, they have "budgeted" the remaining 40k from that. As we've hardly played any games, this extra money will dribble in through the season.

It's a gamble just like any other time a club sets a budget based on projections. Hopefully a fairly safe gamble this season.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:49 pm

Quakerz wrote:The club hasn't "put in 40k from ST sales", or "pumped in 40k" to match what the fans have raised. There is no physical 40k from the club which they were sitting on and could have otherwise chucked on the seats.

The budget was cut by 80k so we can run break even this season. The fans have chucked in 40k still leaving us 40k short of last seasons budget, but because the club have ALSO increased gate prices by £2 for non ST holders, they have "budgeted" the remaining 40k from that. As we've hardly played any games, this extra money will dribble in through the season.

It's a gamble just like any other time a club sets a budget based on projections. Hopefully a fairly safe gamble this season.
Ah yes that's right - increase in ticket prices, not season ticket sales - made up the other £40k (in theory, assuming gates are as projected). My mistake.

DC