Which one of our strikers looks most like scoring?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Which one of our strikers looks most like scoring?

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 am

Would it be Beck? We all know the type of game he plays, and what he's good at and what he's not good at, but for some reason at the moment he's seems a little off the pace and can't quite find that little bit extra that's needed.

Cartman? Last season and now he seems to be getting out muscled. Perhaps the team doesn't set up to his strengths, but leaving that point to one side he doesn't look like he's in scoring mode.

Caton? Is he a striker - is he a winger? I like Caton, to me he always seems to be trying to create something, however in a team that's out of form he isn't finding it easy and there is little end result.

Saunders? I'd start him on Wednesday night. He's been on the periphery for a while, carries no baggage, and looks raring to go.
I feel he deserves his chance, what have we got to lose?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

dfc4me

Re: Which one of our strikers looks most like scoring?

Post by dfc4me » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:22 am

Beck missed most of pre season with a knee injury and has played almost all of every match since. He looks shattered and needs a rest.

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Harvey all day long the lad looks hungry each time he gets on the field and always makes a difference id start him wednesday. Thing is with beck all the teams has sussed that hes our main target man and theres always 2 marking him

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:14 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Would it be Beck? We all know the type of game he plays, and what he's good at and what he's not good at, but for some reason at the moment he's seems a little off the pace and can't quite find that little bit extra that's needed.

Cartman? Last season and now he seems to be getting out muscled. Perhaps the team doesn't set up to his strengths, but leaving that point to one side he doesn't look like he's in scoring mode.

Caton? Is he a striker - is he a winger? I like Caton, to me he always seems to be trying to create something, however in a team that's out of form he isn't finding it easy and there is little end result.

Saunders? I'd start him on Wednesday night. He's been on the periphery for a while, carries no baggage, and looks raring to go.
I feel he deserves his chance, what have we got to lose?
I tweeted last season about Carts not been strong enough and getting out muscled in this league and he didn't like the comment much, but it's how I would see it, yes he is not a bad little player gives his all but that's the facts he is not quite good enough for this league... I'm not having a go at the lad... I'd love him to score 15 goal this season

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:11 pm

For me cartman given a run in the team will prove the doubters wrong, followed by Saunders and then beck, you don't turn into a bad player overnight, all of the aforementioned will score ,Caton is not a striker yes he,s fast but not a natural goal scorer, Sayers is not on all cylinders yet and Gillies has to start producing what we know he can. Take into account our ever increasing injury list and we can understand why we are where were at, a win can get things moving into a positive frame so hopefully that comes on weds night.Onward and upward with Darlington f.c through

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:08 pm

I think I'd play cartman and saunders which might force us to alter our play to play the ball rather than hoof it. We can play some nice stuff, incisive and attractive, but with Beck up front we are using the long ball up to him to try and help us through this sticky patch, and it's not working.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Have to agree give Cartman and Saunders a try play the ball in the channels for either of them then fetch Beck on for last 20/30 mins might just surprise the opposition for once

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:26 pm

Also would like to see Wheatley given a run out

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:33 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Also would like to see Wheatley given a run out
God this lad must be messi the way people are going on about him, surely MG would of played the lad by now if he were any good which begs the question why hasn't he played yetImage

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:34 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Have to agree give Cartman and Saunders a try play the ball in the channels for either of them then fetch Beck on for last 20/30 mins might just surprise the opposition for once
I'd rather this than another 90 mins of neck ball.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Liam Hardy

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:24 pm

It's hard to see where our next goal will come from based on recent performances.

TDS

Post by TDS » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:45 pm

Amazing to see people saying "Cartman needs to start, you don't turn into a bad striker over night" and then saying Saunders needs to start next to him?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Beck was the best striker in the team last season. 18(?) goals for the lad. Cartman? 3 or 4? Come off it, he's too little and doesn't get enough on his shots. Beck is the striker who doesn't turn into a poor one, if anything and deserves to start games next to Saunders who looks bang up for it this season.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:23 pm

TDS wrote:Amazing to see people saying "Cartman needs to start, you don't turn into a bad striker over night" and then saying Saunders needs to start next to him?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Beck was the best striker in the team last season. 18(?) goals for the lad. Cartman? 3 or 4? Come off it, he's too little and doesn't get enough on his shots. Beck is the striker who doesn't turn into a poor one, if anything and deserves to start games next to Saunders who looks bang up for it this season.
I was thinking exactly the same thing!

But you could make the argument that it's not Beck himself but the style of play that his presence seems to draw from the rest of the team. If we have become so one dimensional with him in the side and other teams have now cottoned on to this, then there may be a valid argument for playing two different types of forwards together.

It doesn't mean there's a suggestion that Beck has turned into a bad player - just that we need to mix it up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Spyman wrote:
TDS wrote:Amazing to see people saying "Cartman needs to start, you don't turn into a bad striker over night" and then saying Saunders needs to start next to him?

I was thinking exactly the same thing!

But you could make the argument that it's not Beck himself but the style of play that his presence seems to draw from the rest of the team. If we have become so one dimensional with him in the side and other teams have now cottoned on to this, then there may be a valid argument for playing two different types of forwards together.

It doesn't mean there's a suggestion that Beck has turned into a bad player - just that we need to mix it up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
This is it for me. Our default style is hoof ball, this is because Beck can get his head on it, and it means players lacking confidence get rid of the ball, but we are one dimensional because of it. I understand it's an easier style but we need to shake it up because as it stands we have put too much pressure on Beck and that coupled with teams have worked it out means we are struggling.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:27 pm

Yes - we do need to "shake it up" and Beck looks tired.

Putting him on the bench and playing a different way for an hour doesn't mean dropping him. It's means variation and would surprise an opponent.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!