£25K Needed in the next 3 weeks

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: £25K Needed in the next 3 weeks

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:45 pm

m62exile wrote:
Spyman wrote:Release a couple of players and use the ongoing savings over the season to pay off a short term loan. Avoids kicking the can too far down the road.

As above, loads of options, some more easily workable than others of course.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Which uncontracted players do we have that would realise any significant savings?

And what about the reduction in revenue if attendances drop further once it's acknowledged we're writing the season off (there'd be no other interpretation to many).

It's not a simple problem, unfortunately.
Agree every decision can and most likely will cause an effect, some are more risky than others.

As Spyman says we could sell a couple of players but that weakens us and can result in even worse results (if possible currently ;) )

We can in a number of ways kick the problem down the road, which could extend the time we have for fundraising or push the budget reduction down the road.

I think DFCSG and the Club both hope we hit our fundraising targets before the deadlines and we don't have to come up with something more radical as per above because they are putting us under pressure in other ways shorter term than the fundraising does.

Time will tell how the next month or so pans out.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:47 pm

TDS wrote:FFS Spyman will you give it up about the playing budget, we all want our money to be pissed up the wall on Wheatley to sit on the bench OK? What is wrong with that?

We will find our level, whether the seats dictate that or the playing budget does.

I'm sure we can have an Uncovered whip around to stoke the fire? Usually a reliable bunch? Unless the most loyal know more? :think: :silent:
It's an idea. I'm not saying it's the best one but someone asked for ideas so a few of us were pointing out that there are options.

M62, players can go out on loan, can be signed by other clubs etc - it didn't take long to offload Wearmouth, Jameson or Cartman, did it?

Do you really think attendances will drop significantly more than they already have? How many season ticket holders do we have whose money is already in the pot? Pay on the day may drop slightly if (and it's a big if) attendances drop - but some may be encouraged by the development of the ground. Some see the bigger picture.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:13 pm

m62exile wrote:
Spyman wrote:Release a couple of players and use the ongoing savings over the season to pay off a short term loan. Avoids kicking the can too far down the road.

Which uncontracted players do we have that would realise any significant savings?

And what about the reduction in revenue if attendances drop further once it's acknowledged we're writing the season off (there'd be no other interpretation to many).

By that logic - why didn't our attendances go up when we were in play-off contention last season?

Our attendances are not exclusively linked with success on the pitch. A lot of the reasons are historical.

Plus our current attendances are pretty disappointing. I doubt loaning out/releasing a couple of fringe players would change that much.

It's frustrating how the same club loyalists time and again insist there's nothing wrong and instantly rubbish any criticism or suggestion things can be improved.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
m62exile wrote:

By that logic - why didn't our attendances go up when we were in play-off contention last season?

Our attendances are not exclusively linked with success on the pitch. A lot of the reasons are historical.

Plus our current attendances are pretty disappointing. I doubt loaning out/releasing a couple of fringe players would change that much.

It's frustrating how the same club loyalists time and again insist there's nothing wrong and instantly rubbish any criticism or suggestion things can be improved.

You seem to have this strange idea that anyone who doesn't agree with you has to have an ulterior motive, assuming you have me down as the "club loyalist". It's really odd.

Our average attendances did improve last season as you well know, increasing by over 500 over the previous season but I do agree with you and Spyman that it's not just success on the field that influences this and ironically the lack of facilities is a key factor in why they're stalling now. I fully support the notion that we should be doing everything we can to develop the facilities.

Where we probably do disagree is both of our viewpoints about what would happen if we made significant reductions to the playing staff or had done in the summer. I believe we would see more significant drops in interest, attendance, revenue, and general reputation if we did this than you do. I also don't believe we would be able to find equivalent players for the same wage in the future easily, bearing in mind one of the key factors people sign for us is the club's ambition and fan base.

And since this disagreement is based on our respective opinions on what the effect would be I can't see how we'll be able to agree on it either.

As for loaning out or releasing fringe players I'm not sure who we have that make much of a saving. We can barely get a team out at the minute.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:38 pm

m62exile wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
m62exile wrote:

You seem to have this strange idea that anyone who doesn't agree with you has to have an ulterior motive, assuming you have me down as the "club loyalist". It's really odd.

Our average attendances did improve last season as you well know, increasing by over 500 over the previous season but I do agree with you and Spyman that it's not just success on the field that influences this and ironically the lack of facilities is a key factor in why they're stalling now. I fully support the notion that we should be doing everything we can to develop the facilities.

Where we probably do disagree is both of our viewpoints about what would happen if we made significant reductions to the playing staff or had done in the summer. I believe we would see more significant drops in interest, attendance, revenue, and general reputation if we did this than you do. I also don't believe we would be able to find equivalent players for the same wage in the future easily, bearing in mind one of the key factors people sign for us is the club's ambition and fan base.

And since this disagreement is based on our respective opinions on what the effect would be I can't see how we'll be able to agree on it either.

As for loaning out or releasing fringe players I'm not sure who we have that make much of a saving. We can barely get a team out at the minute.
I think we were carrying a few too many players going into the season. A couple of those have been moved on and the injury crisis we have is pretty unfortunate. It's hard to see at the moment where reductions can be made.

But get everyone fit again and we'd have 5 central defensive options excluding Hunter (who I'm writing off as long term injured).

We could also (if we really wanted) offload someone like Burgess or Brown and replace them with a cheap (or free) loanee from a local league club.

Just pointing out there are options, which are of course not ideal, but may have to be weighed up as deadlines loom.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:48 pm

Spyman wrote:
m62exile wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
m62exile wrote:

I think we were carrying a few too many players going into the season. A couple of those have been moved on and the injury crisis we have is pretty unfortunate. It's hard to see at the moment where reductions can be made.

But get everyone fit again and we'd have 5 central defensive options excluding Hunter (who I'm writing off as long term injured).

We could also (if we really wanted) offload someone like Burgess or Brown and replace them with a cheap (or free) loanee from a local league club.

Just pointing out there are options, which are of course not ideal, but may have to be weighed up as deadlines loom.

Why not offload Collins(He will be on a fair wage) it's always Brown and Burgess's names that crop up when people saying get rid of.. Boils my piss

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:49 pm

I don't want rid of Collins by the way[DISAPPOINTED FACE] It's just an example

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:51 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:I don't want rid of Collins by the way[DISAPPOINTED FACE] It's just an example

As was mine - "Someone like".

DC

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:15 pm

It's £4,500 prize money if we win on Saturday. Maybe the players could have a whip round and raise the money themselves if they keep up their tradition of losing cup ties.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Yarblockos wrote:It's £4,500 prize money if we win on Saturday. Maybe the players could have a whip round and raise the money themselves if they keep up their tradition of losing cup ties.
:roll:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Spyman wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:I don't want rid of Collins by the way[DISAPPOINTED FACE] It's just an example

That fair enough but it's always them... Browny is the most consistent

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:34 pm

m62exile wrote:You seem to have this strange idea that anyone who doesn't agree with you has to have an ulterior motive, assuming you have me down as the "club loyalist". It's really odd.
Eh?

That's unsubstantiated, bizarre, paranoid nonsense. And you know it. There are a number of loyalists on here who leap to the defence of the club every time a decision is questioned. I don't see what ulterior motive I'm suggesting by saying that - it is true after all. My criticism is that such loyalty is counter-productive.
m62exile wrote:Our average attendances did improve last season as you well know, increasing by over 500 over the previous season but I do agree with you and Spyman that it's not just success on the field that influences this and ironically the lack of facilities is a key factor in why they're stalling now. I fully support the notion that we should be doing everything we can to develop the facilities.

A sensible, thought-through counter-argument, although I disagree with much of it.

Firstly, it's not so much that we disagree on the outcome of a summer budget reduction. It's that I was willing to accept several years of mid-table in this division. After all, what's the point of challenging for promotion if you can't get promoted? To me, it's madness.

The counter to this is along the lines of what you've suggested, that we need a significant playing budget to be in the promotion race, which in turn gets more fans attending to fund ground improvements. Given our disappointing attendances at BM last season, and the fact a big playing budget doesn't guarantee being in the play-offs (although it helps) this counter-argument falls apart pretty quickly.

And you talk of drops in interest - isn't that what is happening anyway, despite the Boost the Budget and whatever extra money from ticket price rises has been put into the playing budget?
You talk of reputation damage - wasn't our reputation damaged enough by the embarrassment of last season? Imagine the kicking it will get if we're still in the same position 12 months on.

Perhaps I'm being melodramatic, but I seriously think if the ground isn't sorted by next summer, it will be the biggest crisis for the club since 2012. Players, management, board members will leave, fans will be disillusioned and the club will be an utter laughing stock.

So to me it's foolish to risk all that by wasting any money whatsoever on players like Richards, Fenwick and Wheatley who've barely featured and then in Richards and Fenwick's cases, departed. Every spare penny should be thrown into ground development, not into the back pockets of players who barely feature.

Also, do me a favour and stop with the "you hate anyone who disagrees with you line." It's tedious, lazy and demonstrably untrue. I hate idiots who can't defend their opinions and think they have a right not to be criticised or challenged.

At least here you've defended your argument, and I can see your logic, albeit I disagree with the points you raise.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:49 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

Perhaps I'm being melodramatic, but I seriously think if the ground isn't sorted by next summer, it will be the biggest crisis for the club since 2012. Players, management, board members will leave, fans will be disillusioned and the club will be an utter laughing stock.
I'm with you on this. If we finish in the top 7 and don't have an eligible ground, I dread to think what will happen. It nearly ripped the club apart in the summer.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:00 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I'm with you on this. If we finish in the top 7 and don't have an eligible ground, I dread to think what will happen. It nearly ripped the club apart in the summer.
I don't even think finishing top 7 will matter. If our ground still isn't ready, 12 months after missing out, I think it'll have a big impact on us, even if we finish outside top 7.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:18 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Spyman wrote:

That fair enough but it's always them... Browny is the most consistent

I'm with you there - I've always preferred Brown to Burgess. Can't really comment on Collins as have only seen him in highlights.

Regarding asking the players to stump up lost prize money, while that's clearly an unfair suggestion I did, over the summer, suggest that they all took a small pay cut to minimise the need for the boost the budget.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:19 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote: Why not offload Collins(He will be on a fair wage) it's always Brown and Burgess's names that crop up when people saying get rid of.. Boils my piss

But Brown and Burgess were the consistent central defensive partnership last season in a team that conceded about 8 million goals. That's why their names crop up (though I'd disagree with Brown being named). Many of the goals conceded, as we all know, belonged on a playground not on a semi professional football pitch.

I've never said it before but I think Burgess was a weak link last season.

Collins doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade so far but we'll have a better idea when we're more than half way through the season - we'll have a look at the goals conceded column then.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:49 am

al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

The fans may be disillusioned, but they will have only themselves to blame for not raising the money. As a % of our gates, very few have donated to the pitches, whilst others decided to donate to keeping the squad together rather than prioritising the stand. Can't really throw a strop can they?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:59 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

The fans may be disillusioned, but they will have only themselves to blame for not raising the money. As a % of our gates, very few have donated to the pitches, whilst others decided to donate to keeping the squad together rather than prioritising the stand. Can't really throw a strop can they?
Oh I fully agree that the fans will only have themselves to blame if we don't raise enough for the seats. But if that happens and we do finish in the top 7 then, even though it's 'our fault' I still think it would cause real problems - I believe it would quickly descend into 'fan-owned' v 'investor' very very quickly, and that could cause some serious damage to the club going forwards.

If we don't build the stand but don't finish top 7 then I'm not sure the fallout would be particularly massive from the fans (although I could be wrong on that). And the players and management couldn't really flounce off in a strop with the fans as they also wouldn't have upheld their part. So I'm not so worried about this instance.

Of course, let's just hope we get it built and finish in the top 7 - everyone's happy then :lol:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:13 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

You do have to consider the fact fans have raised hundreds of thousands of pounds over the last few years.

If it wasn't for the fans, we would still be at Heritage Park, stuck in the NPL. So I take your point (particularly on investing in the playing budget over the stand), but framing it that way is very simplistic.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:40 am

As a fan owned club, it is simplistic. If we want it, we pay for it. We can try and attract sponsors, or advertising revenue, but any shortfall is for us to find. If we don't, and only 300 people out of a fan base of 1500 or so have chipped in, then the 1200 have no grounds to whinge as far as I'm concerned. We have reached our level.

I acknowledge the enormous amount we have contributed in the past, but it is an open ended commitment in the current operating model so has no bearing on what we need to contribute in the future.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:05 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:As a fan owned club, it is simplistic. If we want it, we pay for it. We can try and attract sponsors, or advertising revenue, but any shortfall is for us to find. If we don't, and only 300 people out of a fan base of 1500 or so have chipped in, then the 1200 have no grounds to whinge as far as I'm concerned. We have reached our level.

I acknowledge the enormous amount we have contributed in the past, but it is an open ended commitment in the current operating model so has no bearing on what we need to contribute in the future.
I have no grounds for saying this but I bet the majority of those demanding league football and new signings are in the 1200 as well.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:36 pm

Spyman wrote:I have no grounds for saying this but I bet the majority of those demanding league football and new signings are in the 1200 as well.
If there was a way to prove it I wouldn't mind betting on that also. As someone who has invested in all other pitches (I didn't this time...due to means and other priorities) I have just wanted a club to support at the level that they can reach, so actually the fact that we continue to operate and at a good level is quite an achievement in my eyes (and back home...).

The way I see it as I am not able to pay in anymore then I don't feel I can exactly demand money to appear from elsewhere. The flip side of it as well given the level we are at I actually don't have as much motivation to invest that much more - I think the level we are at is very competitive and a 'proper' level of football.

Alongside that I actually studied the football industry as one of my modules at uni (10 years ago - wow) and spent some time chatting with senior partners at Begbies and it was clear at that point that the football industry is just debt, debt and more debt. There are no returns available for 'investors' unless you reach the Premier League and so many will fall attempting that and it is the small business' and fans who ultimately fit the bill for that failure. If we had a 'super-fan' who could invest I could take it but anyone else is looking for a return and those returns simply don't exist. As a result of this I will never trust a third party investor with my previous investment because I don't understand what the motivation would be other than to risk it all.

When I saw us set out on this journey I expected us to get through NL / NPLN pretty quickly expected 2-3 years at NPLP and then 4-5 years at NLN (simply based on other comparative clubs / competition etc.). We are well ahead of what I expected.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:55 pm

A few thousand more gone in today. Must have been a few people busy in Yarm (if roadrunner is to be believed!).
Add the ground development money and we're only just 20k short. Add DFCSG subscription renewal money(hopefully) and we're 10k short.
Add cup money....sorry. Not going there!