Darlington FC V South Shields Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V South Shields Match Thread

Post by al_quaker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:39 am

The only positives from yesterday were that the pitch looked better and the crowd was OK. But the performance was unbelievably inept. The players, barring a couple, looked like they couldn't be bothered, which I'm sure they were. It begs the question: why did the play so poorly?

Beck/Gillies/Syers look a shadow of the players they were last season. Last year they were up there in the top tier of conference north players. This season they look, on the whole, anonymous. I have some sympathy for Beck with the service he's getting, but even then he could be doing more. Marrs is playing worse, Ferguson seems to forget how to cross a ball if he's playing LB, Turnbull looks out of sorts. The list goes on. These players haven't become bad players. There's some who simply aren't up to this level (for which there's no shame in), but most of them are. They're clearly utterly bereft of confidence and direction. So this is where Gray has to step in and prove his worth as a manager. If he wants to bring a couple of new players in then fine, but it must be within the budget he has been set.

Shields on paper are 2 divisions below us, but in reality they aren't. They're probably a top end Evo Prem side minimum, and at the moment we're playing like a bottom half conference north side, so in reality there's probably not much between the teams. But there's no excuse for yesterdays 'performance'.

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:42 am

When you have your 2 centre backs playing so far apart for long periods of the game, you're going to have problems against any side.

Whether that's tactics or (more likely) players switching off, i'm not sure..

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:57 am

Vodka_Vic wrote: Again, Gray comparing us with Harrogate and Salford in interview is insubordinate and does not help. Desperation.

I wish Gray would stop doing this. It's jealousy.

It was alright for him (and us) when we were steam rolling through the lower leagues, and he was constantly lauded as being a great manager.

I'm sure we heard him bellowing "hit it to Becky - hit it to Becky" near the end of the second half, surely he's got more to offer than this?

And why do our players look so unfit now?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:12 am

Pinched from an earlier post.
It was clear that losing yet another defender to injury was never going to help the cause, but each injury the team has sustained has led to wholesale changes that have caused a major upheaval in other parts of the team. We have had no consistency of team membership or roles.

This sums up the problem in our play/tactics its happened all to often, and when you look at the bench there was no need for it, Vaulks replaces Collins, Saunders replaces Cartman.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Pumping the ball up to a target man, i.e. Beck, isn't a bad tactic in itself but you need another striker gambling on the flick ons and an attacking midfielder to be another outlet. Then when the opposition inevitably try to mark the target man out of the game you need to use the width to get crosses in. This isn't complicated.

There were times in the 2nd half where we had 3 players stood on the left touch line (in effect one of our players was marked by another of our players rather than moving into space), one of them being Beck. Even if we did manage to get the ball in the box there's nobody there to get in the end of it. There's a lot to learn from yesterday but I still think Beck is the best player in our squad and he is someone who has the potential to be sold to a higher level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:21 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote: Again, Gray comparing us with Harrogate and Salford in interview is insubordinate and does not help. Desperation.

I wish Gray would stop doing this. It's jealousy.

It was alright for him (and us) when we were steam rolling through the lower leagues, and he was constantly lauded as being a great manager.

I'm sure we heard him bellowing "hit it to Becky - hit it to Becky" near the end of the second half, surely he's got more to offer than this?

And why do our players look so unfit now?
cos there overtraining that's why we have so many injuries, Collins, Mars, syers ,Beck, then portas and Burgess too much to soon.
Put the blame on the new fitness coach why we need him I don't know what do Atkinson,Greegan, Bell do.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Can never understand why we need a goalkeeping coach at our level, how can Bell in all honesty coach Bartlett who was coaching at the Boro anyway?.Money wasted IMO.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Thought some of the football South Shields was excellent, we can't just say it was us playing poorly that gave us yesterday's result.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:42 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:Pumping the ball up to a target man, i.e. Beck, isn't a bad tactic in itself but you need another striker gambling on the flick ons and an attacking midfielder to be another outlet. Then when the opposition inevitably try to mark the target man out of the game you need to use the width to get crosses in. This isn't complicated.

There were times in the 2nd half where we had 3 players stood on the left touch line (in effect one of our players was marked by another of our players rather than moving into space), one of them being Beck. Even if we did manage to get the ball in the box there's nobody there to get in the end of it. There's a lot to learn from yesterday but I still think Beck is the best player in our squad and he is someone who has the potential to be sold to a higher level.

Beck won't be sold to a higher level. He has never done anything other than last season, certainly at a higher level, and I don't think he'll match that again. He's too laboured for a higher level, and you have to set your whole game up around him or he's a passenger. There's very few sides would do that. If only Graeme Armstrong had been 7 or 8 years younger. A far better centre forward for me.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:53 pm

You don't need to build a team around Beck but that's what we have chosen to do. He's much more than a big lump up front. He has a good touch, makes decent runs and is (usually) motivated and dependable. It just hasn't come off for him this season. Yes he still has things to learn. When we are poor he tries to help out by drifting into midfield or out wide when we need him in the centre, but it wouldn't take much coaching for this to improve.

Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:02 pm

Sorry, he's a big lump up front for me. Most players at this level have a good touch - see any South Shields player for evidence.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Funny HALIFAX fans was saying the same about Tom Denton after 12 games last season seems to be doing ok now in league above
Becks a better player all round just carrying an injury at the moment passed fitness tests last couple of games hopefully get a rest for a couple of weeks after next week unless someone tries to bring a fixture forward

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:06 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Sorry, he's a big lump up front for me. Most players at this level have a good touch - see any South Shields player for evidence.
You obviously been watching a different Beck then, Mark Beck has a very good touch when the ball isn't aimed at his head.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:39 am

I didn't say he didn't have a good touch. However, it's almost a given at this level.

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:24 am

In terms of touch, see Caton. Christ.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Shields have got york at home. Newcastle benfield at home to kidderminster.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:52 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Shields have got york at home. Newcastle benfield at home to kidderminster.
Oh well - frankly would have expected (and not been overly upset) to have lost that one anyway. The main loss is the £6k from this round.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:58 pm

lo36789 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Shields have got york at home. Newcastle benfield at home to kidderminster.
Oh well - frankly would have expected (and not been overly upset) to have lost that one anyway. The main loss is the £6k from this round.
We'd also have got a good gate at home to York.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:00 pm

When you see the names of some of the clubs in the cup it just seems so galling to be sat yet again with our noses pressed against the glass.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Spyman wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
We'd also have got a good gate at home to York.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I suppose - I am being glass not quite empty about this.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Just two cup wins and we would have pocketed £12,000 with gate money on top... and then it shoots up... stop it, madness lies this way!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:24 pm

LoidLucan wrote:When you see the names of some of the clubs in the cup it just seems so galling to be sat yet again with our noses pressed against the glass.
Yep, the likes of Shildon (to name one example) regularly go on cup runs, whilst we get knocked out at the first attempt every single time.

It's just not good enough.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Quakerz wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:When you see the names of some of the clubs in the cup it just seems so galling to be sat yet again with our noses pressed against the glass.
Yep, the likes of Shildon (to name one example) regularly go on cup runs, whilst we get knocked out at the first attempt every single time.

It's just not good enough.

I notice in the Programme notes that the club has a Psychologist, a Mr Darren Sutton.

Perhaps he could rejig the minds of the management team - to enable them to get the players to compete in cup competitions.

Another wasted opportunity, Grrrrrrrrrrrr............
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!