TOUGH TIMES AHEAD

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

roadrunner
Team Supported: Darlington

TOUGH TIMES AHEAD

Post by roadrunner » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:53 pm

We've got some tough times ahead , where is the invisible man Mr Johnson not at the game today again.
It's time to re think stay as we are at the level we're at or get these investors in I vote get them in.

super_les_mcjannet

Re: TOUGH TIMES AHEAD

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Get who in then with what end goal.

Sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:58 pm

You say 'These' investors as if you know who they are. Be up front here, are you talking about RS and a Yarm consortium, or are you generalising with the word 'these'?

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:16 pm

If there were investors who had the best interest of the club at heart they would have come forward at any point over the last 14 years. That hasn't happened as they don't exist!! So any interested investor sees us a cash cow ready to be milked. Remember, if an investor comes onboard many of the volunteers will quit and some sponsors will withdraw their support. The "investor" would need to cover this just for us to stay in the same position financially.

We know better than most that if a football club is ran at a loss the future of the club is dependent on a richer person/people loosing money each week. You don't get rich by allowing that to happen for long so then our future would again be at risk.

What we need is to survive until the 500 club membership runs out so we are collecting a large increase in ticket sales. Then we can push on. In the meantime we need to try and not get relegated, increase our seated capacity, increase our terracing so more fans get a good view and therefore are likely to turn up, and hopefully have a few cup runs in order to improve our bank balance and press coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Also if they cared about the club they could buy 15% of the shares and ask to be on the board, which would almost certainly be accepted. Anyone wanting total control must have their intentions scrutinised as anything positive, as far as the club is concerned, can be achieved without the "investor" having a controlling stake.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:28 pm

I still dont understand why we didn't just keep offering an extension of the 500 club until we got the seats paid for. I know it ties us in another uear but that's less of a handicap I feel than essentially playing for nothing, without the seats then there is no point in any of it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:30 pm

shawry wrote:I still dont understand why we didn't just keep offering an extension of the 500 club until we got the seats paid for. I know it ties us in another uear but that's less of a handicap I feel than essentially playing for nothing, without the seats then there is no point in any of it.

Hold that thought Shawry, who knows we may need to visit it soon.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:45 pm

roadrunner wrote:We've got some tough times ahead , where is the invisible man Mr Johnson not at the game today again.
It's time to re think stay as we are at the level we're at or get these investors in I vote get them in.
not sure why you having a dig at Johnson not being at the match without knowing why and unless you were in the boardroom how would you know, people aren't forced to go.

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:50 pm

Board members' contribution is off the pitch. I couldn't careless if he was at the game or not.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:47 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:If there were investors who had the best interest of the club at heart they would have come forward at any point over the last 14 years. That hasn't happened as they don't exist!! So any interested investor sees us a cash cow ready to be milked. Remember, if an investor comes onboard many of the volunteers will quit and some sponsors will withdraw their support. The "investor" would need to cover this just for us to stay in the same position financially.

We know better than most that if a football club is ran at a loss the future of the club is dependent on a richer person/people loosing money each week. You don't get rich by allowing that to happen for long so then our future would again be at risk.

What we need is to survive until the 500 club membership runs out so we are collecting a large increase in ticket sales. Then we can push on. In the meantime we need to try and not get relegated, increase our seated capacity, increase our terracing so more fans get a good view and therefore are likely to turn up, and hopefully have a few cup runs in order to improve our bank balance and press coverage.

This bit appears to be impossible.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:21 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
shawry wrote:I still dont understand why we didn't just keep offering an extension of the 500 club until we got the seats paid for. I know it ties us in another uear but that's less of a handicap I feel than essentially playing for nothing, without the seats then there is no point in any of it.

Hold that thought Shawry, who knows we may need to visit it soon.
had a talk with a couple of 500 members like myself today and there was a surprising unanimity that the 500 issue should be revisited. One thought was a voluntary concession ticket designated for ground development which some members may be willing to support. I'm of a mind that terracing would be a higher priority as conference football is just not a feasible objective at the moment for a number of reasons.

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:58 pm

That's an interesting thought. Terracing would definitely be the most cost effective way of improving the ground, allowing more people to have a decent view of the ground and increasing capacity should we get a big game. But would the inability to get promoted or in the play offs put off both fans and players? One play off appearance could make a decent impact on the club's finances. Not an easy decision. Arguably you want the facilities to hold many fans prior to playing well so you can capitalise on the increased interest.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:14 am

If there are potential investors out there and I doubt whether there are any, but if there are, they would only want to invest in a club going forwards not backwards like ours!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:22 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:If there are potential investors out there and I doubt whether there are any, but if there are, they would only want to invest in a club going forwards not backwards like ours!
Some investors (not mentioning any names here) might wait till their target is experiencing difficulties. Some investors (not mentioning any names here) might feel that this strategy would enable them to force through a favourable deal.

Favourable for them.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:If there are potential investors out there and I doubt whether there are any, but if there are, they would only want to invest in a club going forwards not backwards like ours!
Some investors (not mentioning any names here) might wait till their target is experiencing difficulties. Some investors (not mentioning any names here) might feel that this strategy would enable them to force through a favourable deal.

Favourable for them.
Indeed and potential investors may say things like 'They know where I am if they can't raise the money themselves'.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:19 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Favourable for them.
Indeed and potential investors may say things like 'They know where I am if they can't raise the money themselves'.
...and they may also remind us that we've gone as far as we can in a ground that we still don't own, then contrasting this with a bright future where we own our own stadium and can make money from it 7 days a week....divide and conquer being the aim

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:32 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:Board members' contribution is off the pitch. I couldn't careless if he was at the game or not.
He might have done better on the pitch than some of those who were there.....

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:57 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Favourable for them.
Exactly what I suggested back in May.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:04 pm

More time on our hands now we are out of the FA Cup! Hopefully time to regroup, rethink tactics & recuperate.......otherwise relegation beckons. :(

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:14 pm

jjljks wrote:More time on our hands now we are out of the FA Cup! Hopefully time to regroup, rethink tactics & recuperate.......otherwise relegation beckons. :(
Never in a million years will we be relegated.

I know things are negative right now but if I had to bet I would put money on us having the seats in place by March and us finishing top half of the table.

I don't think we will get promotion but I don't understand the thoughts that we will spiral into a relegation battle.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:18 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
jjljks wrote:More time on our hands now we are out of the FA Cup! Hopefully time to regroup, rethink tactics & recuperate.......otherwise relegation beckons. :(
Never in a million years will we be relegated.

I know things are negative right now but if I had to bet I would put money on us having the seats in place by March and us finishing top half of the table.
If the odds are 25,000 to 1 then a £1 bet could meet our funding target!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:51 am

Spyman wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Favourable for them.
Exactly what I suggested back in May.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Indeed, the narrative at the time didn't even seem to cover this up either. Arguably it is the club with the latent potential but in the worst position that is the best to invest in. Minimum input for the greatest possible gains.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:31 pm

I hope this is an attempt at humour. Have a glance at the table

shadwellman

Post by shadwellman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Have a glance at the most recent batch of results.