Josh Gillies

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dfcjosh
Team Supported: Darlington

Josh Gillies

Post by dfcjosh » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Unbelievably lazy today once again. Can't believe he hasn't been dropped yet

Quakerz

Re: Josh Gillies

Post by Quakerz » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Not lazy, just pea hearted.

Unbelievably talented but so easy to take out of a game when up against a tough opponent.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:56 pm

Great on the ball but gives absolutely nothing when we haven't got the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bernie Rhodes knows

Post by Bernie Rhodes knows » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:10 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Great on the ball but gives absolutely nothing when we haven't got the ball.

But is he really that good on the ball ?

A year ago maybe, but end of last season and certainly this one if you were watching Darlo as a one -off you'd be wondering how he could justify being selected

Problem now is a good proportion of our support recognise he's not putting a shift in and he will become a scapegoat. And like Quakerz alludes he doesn't seem to have the stomach for the fight.

Our success over the last few seasons have been built on work rate, commitment and team spirit ;

Does anyone see any of the above from Gillies ?

Sent from Rmy iPhone using Tapatalk

tezza

Post by tezza » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:49 pm

No. Taking up to much of our limited resource.

Cannot see any re sale value and another example of poor MG judgement with giving extended contracts.

lewis1k89

Post by lewis1k89 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Been poor for a while, looks like he doesn't care, he does have some talent but very rarely shows it, that's what upsets and frustrates some sections of the fans, apart from the two free kicks against Alfreton last season and the game away at Harrogate can't think of any worth while performances, would get him off the playing budget and find a suitable replacement who will put effort in.

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:22 pm

Agree with all that had been said here. He has scored a few this season but when he's not on the ball he is a complete passenger. My take on our issues at the moment is him, Syers and Caton are too attack minded and that has put so much pressure on Turnball and the full backs who never have any outlet whatsoever.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Why does every team we play (even the ones we have beaten) seem to pass the ball a lot better than we can, can't be just me noticed this.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:49 pm

They also seem to pass with a purpose in mind

lewis1k89

Post by lewis1k89 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Probably cause we still play lump the ball forward to the big man tactics, which was all well and good against northern league teams but not against nln teams, we only seem to play the ball on the deck when were chasing which is disappointing as sometimes we play great football this way, don't see it often enough.

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:56 pm

Gillies is like Thomson in that he is good when Darlo are winning and playing well, but when a shift is needed and sleeves need rolling and he has to track back, then he goes missing.

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Gillies is a fantastic player, but probably the one who has suffered most from the route one approach.

When we get the ball down and play he usually runs the game. The only, and sizeable, criticism of him is his lack of defensive work off the ball.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Heard that Gillies was unwell on saturday but wanted to play.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:10 pm

The way we are playing at the moment the last thing we need is players on the pitch who are not 100% so Gillies and Burgess should not have played could blame MG

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Said it before, and i'll say it again. Gillies, Syers and i'll add Caton and Thompson into the mix as well... are all too much of a luxury in the team together. It is absolutely fine to have one, but all of them can go missing. Some games we have had 3 of them on the pitch. (I actually like Gillies and Syers, but they shouldn't be on the same pitch at the same time against all but the most ineffectual of opposition (or if we're chasing a goal). I wouldn't mind the latter two (Thompson & Caton) going frankly... Thompson has been a good servant but isn't as effective at this level, Caton, i'm not sure what he offers.

We need some workhorses and battlers to compliment them.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Passion and commitment is what is required.
Alan White springs to mind.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:18 pm

White certainly got involved with play and was good -apart from the Ref pushing incident :shock:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Is this the same Alan White who many said should be sacked for his bad discipline? Make your minds up!!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:49 pm

loan_star wrote:Is this the same Alan White who many said should be sacked for his bad discipline? Make your minds up!!
Was just about to post the same thing.

Amazing how people can rewrite history to suit their own ends.

FWIW Gillies is an exceptionally talented footballer who is clearly good enough at this level.

But he's inconsistent and MG's hoofball tactics obviously don't suit him.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:00 pm

In fairness with regards to the alan white thing not everyone wanted him sacked.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Thommo will have to start playing a heck of a lot better or I can see him being listed the same as Burgess.Something not quite right with him this season, not the player we know he can be and his body language is not good.Spenny perhaps?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Ron, would love to do a swap with Armstrong with Spenny. Now there was a player!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Ron, would love to do a swap with Armstrong with Spenny. Now there was a player!
Cannot see MG returning for Armstrong Adam.Thommo, Syers and Caton have done very little this season and must be giving MG food for thought.Feel sorry for Burgess but looked very slow in the few games he played albeit not 100% fit.No ides who will be the CB pairing for Boston but Gray will have targets lined up for certain.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:32 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Ron, would love to do a swap with Armstrong with Spenny. Now there was a player!
Cannot see MG returning for Armstrong Adam.Thommo, Syers and Caton have done very little this season and must be giving MG food for thought.Feel sorry for Burgess but looked very slow in the few games he played albeit not 100% fit.No ides who will be the CB pairing for Boston but Gray will have targets lined up for certain.

Let's hope Brown got the go ahead from London.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:48 pm

shawry wrote:In fairness with regards to the alan white thing not everyone wanted him sacked.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
That's true. It was the usual gobshites who do nothing but pick fault with things that were the most vocal with regard to White.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:57 pm

When did I ever say Alan White should have been sacked ?
"Rewriting history for my own ends" ? What possible ends could I have, apart from saying White showed passion and commitment in abundance, but perhaps overstepped the mark on occasions. Better that than the uncommited pathetic display last Saturday.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:01 pm

banktopp wrote:When did I ever say Alan White should have been sacked ?
"Rewriting history for my own ends" ? What possible ends could I have, apart from saying White showed passion and commitment in abundance, but perhaps overstepped the mark on occasions. Better that than the uncommited pathetic display last Saturday.
Don't be so sensitive and paranoid. It wasn't aimed at you.

Just a general observation that people weren't calling White "passionate" when he got himself sent off. It was the usual barracking and demanding he be sacked.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:10 am

H1987 wrote:Said it before, and i'll say it again. Gillies, Syers and i'll add Caton and Thompson into the mix as well... are all too much of a luxury in the team together. It is absolutely fine to have one, but all of them can go missing. Some games we have had 3 of them on the pitch. (I actually like Gillies and Syers, but they shouldn't be on the same pitch at the same time against all but the most ineffectual of opposition (or if we're chasing a goal). I wouldn't mind the latter two (Thompson & Caton) going frankly... Thompson has been a good servant but isn't as effective at this level, Caton, i'm not sure what he offers.

We need some workhorses and battlers to compliment them.
Pretty accurate summary.

The stronger the rest of the team is, the more 'luxury' players you can afford.

The core of our team simply isn't resilient enough to support 3 or 4 players who are great when you're on top of a game but don't do enough in a battle.

That said, every man battled at York, so they're capable of it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:15 am

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:Is this the same Alan White who many said should be sacked for his bad discipline? Make your minds up!!

FWIW Gillies is an exceptionally talented footballer who is clearly good enough at this level.

I'd say Gillies has shown flashes of being an "exceptionally talented" footballer but I don't think you can blame MG's "hoofball" tactics for not being able to get a direct free kick on target, be able to cross with your left foot, or be committed enough to get back in to shape when you lose the ball. I'm trying and failing to come up with an outstanding performance this season.

I agree that he looks like a player with potential brilliance in him but looking at it objectively he made 12 appearances for Carlisle 5 years ago and its been a downward trend since. At 27 he should be at his physical peak but I'd imagine if he doesn't begin to produce something he'll be on his way.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:00 am

m62exile wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I'd say Gillies has shown flashes of being an "exceptionally talented" footballer but I don't think you can blame MG's "hoofball" tactics for not being able to get a direct free kick on target, be able to cross with your left foot, or be committed enough to get back in to shape when you lose the ball. I'm trying and failing to come up with an outstanding performance this season.

I agree that he looks like a player with potential brilliance in him but looking at it objectively he made 12 appearances for Carlisle 5 years ago and its been a downward trend since. At 27 he should be at his physical peak but I'd imagine if he doesn't begin to produce something he'll be on his way.
I'll admit I am not a great fan of Gillies. However, I don't see how anyone can disagree with M62 Exile's assessment?