Disappointed to see Gray go

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerlad
Team Supported: Darlington

Disappointed to see Gray go

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:09 pm

I absolutely know that many fans feel similar to myself, it's just the vast proportion don't involve themselves on here, so please do not say we are in the minority. In any event we are all entitled to our view.

In my view, Gray leaving has put us exactly where we worried we would end up, that is, on a downward spiral, players leaving, struggling to keep mid table and attendances falling! All this stuff about consolidation, getting the seats, happy being fan owned is nothing compared to watching an exciting team with good players, winning games and challenging near the top i.e. What we have got used to!

Now we all know that this can only EVER come with outside investment as no matter how much you cut it, and yes their will be odd exceptions (like Leicester), the teams with the most money are those above, almost every time. Who bets S Shields won't overtake us soon, why, more money!

With Gray, has gone in my view, our only hope of attracting such investment. Yes he handled it badly in the summer, but his sentiments were spot on and know he was the only one being pro active visiting potential business people etc etc for weeks on end, for which he should have been applauded. We all have differing views on Singh, accept that, but wow what a different picture it could have been just now! Stand built, good players, good results and exciting times. Yes, a risk, but hey has no one on here been given a second chance? We had no assets to strip, no ground we owned, no land to be developed, please tell me what the ulterior motive was?

Nothing at all against Gregan/Atkinson, am sure are good blokes and will be totally committed, but will they have Grays desire, hunger, ambition, who knows, but certainly seems a "safe" appt.

Don't underestimate just because they don't appear on here just how many fans would welcome an "owner" with money, and yes a degree of risk, rather than settle for mediocrity which is what worries me will happen

Got it off my chest, good luck Martin, thanks for probably the most enjoyable period of my 52 years watching Darlo, and here's hoping I am wrong!

Vodka_Vic

Re: Disappointed to see Gray go

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:17 pm

I'm sure we all want outside investment, but Raj? Does it not make you slightly suspicious the way he withdrew when support wasn't unanimous? All investments are a gamble, but for many of us, Raj was a gamble not worth taking.
The ulterior motive appears to be the Arena which he wanted to take us back to, allegedly.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:18 pm

WHY does fan owned = mediocrity?

At this level, we are more than capable of challenging for the play offs as a fan owned club. I accept that when (that's when, not if) we get to the National League - whenever that is - that we will be up against it.

WHY are fans in such a rush to get up the leagues anyway? You do realise that even with significant investment that we will hit a ceiling at some point anyway?

To me it has seemed at times that we've tried to run before we can walk, and the club has progressed up the leagues quicker than the infrastructure can keep up - and this has been done whilst constantly spending more than we can afford. In hindsight, it looks barmy.

There is no evidence to suggest as yet that we are going to lose a lot of players and are on a downward spiral that we can't get out of - that's just doommongering.
Last edited by Quakerz on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:18 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I'm sure we all want outside investment, but Raj? Does it not make you slightly suspicious the way he withdrew when support wasn't unanimous? All investments are a gamble, but for many of us, Raj was a gamble not worth taking.
Checked his track record before I decided whether he was good for us.

Sadly his record of running football clubs was poor, I went with that evidence rather than a gut feeling everything will be fine. :thumbup:

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:29 pm

Quakerlad wrote:I absolutely know that many fans feel similar to myself, it's just the vast proportion don't involve themselves on here, so please do not say we are in the minority. In any event we are all entitled to our view.

In my view, Gray leaving has put us exactly where we worried we would end up, that is, on a downward spiral, players leaving, struggling to keep mid table and attendances falling! All this stuff about consolidation, getting the seats, happy being fan owned is nothing compared to watching an exciting team with good players, winning games and challenging near the top i.e. What we have got used to!

Now we all know that this can only EVER come with outside investment as no matter how much you cut it, and yes their will be odd exceptions (like Leicester), the teams with the most money are those above, almost every time. Who bets S Shields won't overtake us soon, why, more money!

With Gray, has gone in my view, our only hope of attracting such investment. Yes he handled it badly in the summer, but his sentiments were spot on and know he was the only one being pro active visiting potential business people etc etc for weeks on end, for which he should have been applauded. We all have differing views on Singh, accept that, but wow what a different picture it could have been just now! Stand built, good players, good results and exciting times. Yes, a risk, but hey has no one on here been given a second chance? We had no assets to strip, no ground we owned, no land to be developed, please tell me what the ulterior motive was?

Nothing at all against Gregan/Atkinson, am sure are good blokes and will be totally committed, but will they have Grays desire, hunger, ambition, who knows, but certainly seems a "safe" appt.

Don't underestimate just because they don't appear on here just how many fans would welcome an "owner" with money, and yes a degree of risk, rather than settle for mediocrity which is what worries me will happen

Got it off my chest, good luck Martin, thanks for probably the most enjoyable period of my 52 years watching Darlo, and here's hoping I am wrong!
I'm also extremely disappointed that Martin has left but handing the club over to Raj Singh wasn't even an option. We did the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:50 pm

Do people forget the predicament we were left in 5 years ago? Plunged into administration for the third time in a decade, only two contracted players going into the summer, nowhere to play, forced name change, little assets to our name, £300k worth of debt, no youth/reserve set up and then beginning our season in the Northern League.

A lot of hard work has gone into the last 5 years. I too am sad to see Martin Gray leave. I think that he has done a tremendous job, and he has provided some fantastic memories with top 5 finishes in every season. The club has developed its infrastructure in the meantime, notably the move to BM, implementation of the youth set-up/reserves, and clearing the debt whilst rising from Step 5 to Step 2.

Although I did not agree with the fans forum earlier this year, it is clear that as a club we cannot meet the ambition of Gray, who I wish all the best at York. It can sometimes take decades for clubs to ensure they have the right infrastructure, players, management team and finances in place for a push to the Football League and although traditionally our history may predominately include FL, we fall under the same category as many others who have dropped into non-league including York, Stockport, Macclesfield, Tranmere, Hartlepool, Wrexham, Torquay and Leyton Orient.

With all that said I feel like now is an opportunity to build on the hard-work from the previous 5 years with financial stability, control and a long-term vision. If we were to establish ourselves as a mid-table side over the course of the next few years in the Conference North whilst developing Blackwell Meadows and maintaining a core support of 1,500 then it wouldn't be the end of the world. I think the only people who would have an issue with that is the people who would risk the clubs future for outside investment with a view to getting into the Football League as quick as possible. High risk/high reward but we've had our hands burnt 3 times with that one.

If things are done right in the next 3-5 years with a long-term view then I feel we can succeed under fan ownership.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:12 pm

Agree with some of what you said but :
1. We will not maintain an average of 1500 if mid table for 3-5 yrs.
2. We cannot continue to develop BM by continuously asking the fans for huge amounts.
3. If "succeeding " under fan ownership is " establishing ourselves as a mid table side over a few years" then you can stick fan ownership.

Hey ho, it's all about opinions for sure.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:35 pm

I am disappointed to see Gray go....however I think we have been stretching the budget to keep hold of him in recent years.
Are we ready for promotion on and off the pitch? I think not. The National League will be tough when we get there, and what would be the point of getting there to come straight back down. Its happened to a few so called "bigger" clubs like us over the years who have been jumping up the leagues. Eventually you hit a league where you need to consolidate for a while, which is where we are at now.

Not sure whether the management duo will work, but financially it makes sense to give them a chance to see what they can do.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:40 pm

I've never understood some people's short memories of Raj Singh and what he did to this club. Plus all the blood, sweat, tears and the not inconsiderable amounts of money raised by many fans to fund the club forward from those dark days in 2012. All the directors and volunteers past and present who gave commitment and gave up their time to ensure the club survived and moved forward.

To suggest, and that's what it almost seems, that outside investment no matter the source to keep the "progress" going is required. Take that thought to it's end game and eventually there can be no progress anyway.

I don't think there has been a large groundswell of fans saying no outside investment under any circumstances, but anyone who steps forward better be pretty convincing of their motives and cash before I, as a club shareholder, consider voting for their involvement as investor / owners

Raj Singh does not and never will qualify. His offer of "investment" was as insulting as it was crass; and so was Martin Gray's attempt to railroad it through with his threats of leaving.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:42 pm

Why do you believe there is an investor just waiting to pour money into a small part time non league football club with no ground of their own? Frankly, i doubt we've got a choice in continuing as a fan owned club.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:57 pm

I'm obviously in a minority on here, but I'm not disappointed that Gray has gone. Clearly on the pitch, things have not been going well and it's time for Gregan and Atkinson to restore our fortunes, whilst playing more attractive football.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:58 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Why do you believe there is an investor just waiting to pour money into a small part time non league football club with no ground of their own? Frankly, i doubt we've got a choice in continuing as a fan owned club.
I think some find it easier to believe that we can get an investor and continue rampaging up the leagues until eventually we are back in the football league where they believe we belong.

Battling it out and the struggles of building the ground just isn't something they want to deal with, do any of us really.

Truth is we have gone all the way down to the Northern League and worked our way up, we own nothing other than a few stands and no one has really wanted to be our investor/sugar daddy. We should progress as if it will never happen whilst still be open and available to investment if it comes along.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:02 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Agree with some of what you said but :
2. We cannot continue to develop BM by continuously asking the fans for huge amounts.
3. If "succeeding " under fan ownership is " establishing ourselves as a mid table side over a few years" then you can stick fan ownership.

When I read your initial post on this thread I was fooled into believing that you must be a new supporter who was unaware of what happened 5 years ago, so was nonplussed to find that you had been through as much of the last half century of ups, downs and mediocrity as I have. The points made above by others who do not want to risk what happened 5 years ago is that living beyond your means is always a risky strategy and in our case is not just a theoretical possibility, it is hard experience.

As Mr Micawber says in David Copperfield "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen, nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

Yes we could chase the dream and get into bed with an apparently reputable investor. It may all work out, and we may chase the goal of getting 2,000 gates and more as we get back to the football league. But what then? If your theory holds true now, why would it not hold true in 2 or 3 years time when we may be in League 2 but our investor has run out of money, patience or the capacity to fund the extra millions that it would take to get us promoted further. Would we then stagnate, and on your account, start to go backwards, with dwindling fan interest and an investor who again wants to pull the plug because, as he believes he has taken the club as far as he can.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:12 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Agree with some of what you said but :

It's absolutely nothing to do with opinions. It's all about cold, hard facts. For instance it is a fact that no one else wants to invest in us.

Another fact - this means our choices: are develop as a fan-owned club - however long that may take.

Or go cap in hand to Raj Singh (who may no longer be interested with Gray's departure).

Anyone choosing the latter is a pillock. This is also a fact.

I would love for multi-billionaire Darlo fan to emerge, take over, build us a modern 10k seater stadium and invest lavishly in the team, happy to write-off a seven figure sum each year through their love of the team.

But it isn't going to happen. We carry on as we are, or we destroy all credibility we have remaining by going to a charlatan who has ruined us once already. That's our choice. Well, it isn't even a choice.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:21 pm

QuakerPete wrote:I've never understood some people's short memories of Raj Singh and what he did to this club. Plus all the blood, sweat, tears and the not inconsiderable amounts of money raised by many fans to fund the club forward from those dark days in 2012. All the directors and volunteers past and present who gave commitment and gave up their time to ensure the club survived and moved forward.

To suggest, and that's what it almost seems, that outside investment no matter the source to keep the "progress" going is required. Take that thought to it's end game and eventually there can be no progress anyway.

I don't think there has been a large groundswell of fans saying no outside investment under any circumstances, but anyone who steps forward better be pretty convincing of their motives and cash before I, as a club shareholder, consider voting for their involvement as investor / owners

Raj Singh does not and never will qualify. His offer of "investment" was as insulting as it was crass; and so was Martin Gray's attempt to railroad it through with his threats of leaving.
I'm worried by how much me and you are agreeing QuakerPete but this exactly where I'm at as well.

I was staggered at how many people were willing to even consider Raj in the summer, given what he did 6 years ago. And remember, Raj wanted to invest MG's playing budget, not the club.

I'm not against external investment - but it has to be the right person with the right motives. We've been burned by too many charlatans in the past.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:24 pm

You have to feel sorry for Martin Gray.

Having to curtail his ambitions for a short while must have been terribly difficult for him.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I'm obviously in a minority on here, but I'm not disappointed that Gray has gone. Clearly on the pitch, things have not been going well and it's time for Gregan and Atkinson to restore our fortunes, whilst playing more attractive football.
It feels like a spelk has been removed, to me.

I feel quite upbeat about things now but then again I'd be very happy jockeying for a high position in the Conference for a few years, raking in the prize money (I think Vanarama placement money is actually higher than it is in the Championship), striking it lucky a few times with cup runs/draws, and making a bit from transfers and sell-on clauses... until we're ready to step up.

Unstuck

Post by Unstuck » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:15 am

Quakerlad wrote:
In my view, Gray leaving has put us exactly where we worried we would end up, that is, on a downward spiral, players leaving, struggling to keep mid table and attendances falling!
You make it sound like this has all happened since Gray left. It was on his watch. He could quite easily have been sacked for his performance so far this season.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:57 am

I thought that Quakerlad quote was about recent times, before Martin left! Apart from players leaving of course. I'm disappointed to some extent but after my elation and hope at Salford it's been very hit and miss, particularly at Chorley surrounded by locals having fun at our expense. Like with chairmen, we'll still be here long after managers so let's roll our sleeves up and get on with it. Impressed to see Charles Dickens quoted-that's a first!

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:02 am

I am not the fan some of you guys are, I aint supported the club for decades, I have supported the club for barely 1 decade and started following the club more in 2012, and recently has caused my fragile mental health to further fall.

I am not disappointed or gutted he has gone, performances this season have been below standard, his continued policy of not using the cups bugged me, as it seems it has bothered most of us, what I will say, is thank you for the memories, some of my favourite moments came through Football and Martin Gray helped create those memories Team Northumbria game in 2013 at HP, Whitby in April 2016, great times, but we must move on, and now it is down to Atkinson and Gregan to sort it out on the field.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:33 am

I'm with Murton Quaker on this. We always knew Gray was very ambitious, and this was just what we needed in our formative years. However, we have reached a stage where his ambitions exceed our capabilities. I'm sorry that it has ended a little sourly, and that his tenure will not be celebrated as much as it should be. I too will remember Team Northumbria, Bamber Bridge, and Whitby, which were occasions as good as we will have ever had.

I hope that we use this to regroup and refocus. Wouldn't it be great to show Gray that we weren't finished after all.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:08 am

Stab in the dark here but what if, instead of getting more money, Gray was told that, due to lower than expected crowds, he was actually facing a budget cut. We may need to off load 2/3 of our higher earners just to balance the books, something which wouldn't have gone down well with him.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:44 am

But we have just signed Mendes and another signing imminent.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:48 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:You have to feel sorry for Martin Gray.

Having to curtail his ambitions for a short while must have been terribly difficult for him.
Astonishing:

Had we not hounded out 2 dedicated Directors over the ground grading fiasco, then I would suggest that he would possibly have been given his marching orders the Saturday after his "fans forum outburst"

Clearly the "In Martin Gray We Trust" brigade must now realise how hollow that rings.

There clearly was a conspiracy clique at work, the sole intent under the guise of "whats best for the club & fans" was all about the ambition of 1 man. This burning ambition undermining the ethos of the board, DFCSG and every fan that had invested.
This conspiracy , probably minus the odious Singh has continued since, with the self appointed , MG Cronie David Johnson overseeing, and rubber stamping events. I think we can start a countdown on his tenure.

In regard to MG achievements ,they are now a matter of record.Like many I have enjoyed the last 5 seasons more than any in my over 50 years of watching DFC. We do owe him a gratitude to assisting us to get where we are from where we were, however he too in return should never forget that it was only with the dedication & commitment that the fans in general displayed that has got him where he wanted to be.

There was a York fan on the board enquiring about MG Style. We all know on the field he prefers direct sometimes unattractive football. York seem equipped to convert to these tactics, however the same fan may have also been enquiring about his managerial style? To my mind the recent events, transfer dealings, playing tactics underpinned by contemptuous after match interviews, he can be summed up as the archetypical schoolyard bully.

Sometimes you have to be careful of what you wish for, MG has been granted his. For him the often perceived comfort of non league football may seem a long way away come March 2018 with a club that has a singular ambition. Get it wrong .. and I wish him well ..but he has risked everything on a one shot target. He could find himself on the heap of former out of work managers with the label "he had his chance and failed"

His departure now more than ever calls for us fans to stay with and support the likes of John Tempest , encourage the likes of Wayne Raper, after a short sabbatical to reconsider his position. Similarly others with the skills, time and dedication to step forward.

There is no immediate prospect of the "right" outside investor on the horizon, there therefore seems little option but to continue for the foreseeable future what we have started. Concentrate on the infrastructure, lower the expectations of the on the pitch activities seeking consolidation certainly for this season. Then have a clear strategy for the coming 5 years.

Lets start by turning up at the next home game and giving Attky, Gregan and the players our support

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:07 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:...Wouldn't it be great to show Gray that we weren't finished after all.
Time will tell whether us "laughing stock" have the last laugh or not.

We can, but I think we need to act quickly on what we've learned from all of this and restructure things within the DFCSG to afford the directors a bit of relief by engaging with the membership more directly and continuously.

We need to strengthen the club because we're still very fragile. The current board members have become like care-givers and need respite, but we don't have the mechanism in place to start to relieve the pressure on them and change the way the DFCSG runs by blurring the lines between the board and fans to such an extent that people feel more open to the idea of stepping up to the board (even if only from time to time on a co-opted basis), instead of viewing it as some kind of poison chalice.

The formation of an informal advisory group made up of the myriad of volunteers who currently assist either/both the Supporters Group and the football club, former directors, and any members who would like to engage in the kind of constructive conversations which are needed to help achieve this and drive the club would be a good start, in my opinion.

P.S. Good post Tezza - just saw it after writing mine.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:15 am

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:...Wouldn't it be great to show Gray that we weren't finished after all.

We can, but I think we need to act quickly on what we've learned from all of this and restructure things within the DFCSG to afford the directors a bit of relief by engaging with the membership more directly and continuously.

We need to strengthen the club because we're still very fragile. The current board members have become like care-givers and need respite, but we don't have the mechanism in place to start to relieve the pressure on them and change the way the DFCSG runs by blurring the lines between the board and fans to such an extent that people feel more open to the idea of stepping up to the board (even if only from time to time on a co-opted basis), instead of viewing it as some kind of poison chalice.

The formation of an informal advisory group made up of the myriad of volunteers who currently assist either/both the Supporters Group and the football club, former directors, and any members who would like to engage in the kind of constructive conversations which are needed to help achieve this and drive the club would be a good start, in my opinion.

I think, managing the club (board wise) becomes easier now that we can lower expectation, and allow ourselves to grow organically.

This should relieve some of the pressure on current/future board members (hopefully)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:28 am

shawry wrote:
Mr_Tibbs wrote:

I think, managing the club (board wise) becomes easier now that we can lower expectation, and allow ourselves to grow organically.

This should relieve some of the pressure on current/future board members (hopefully)
I think you're right, though I'm talking specifically about how we could (and, in my opinion, should) strengthen the DFCSG anyway. I also think we need to do that very quickly otherwise I fear a shortfall in the number of nominations this month for prospective board members to be elected at the AGM in November.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:25 am

tezza wrote:

Astonishing:
Theoriginalfatcat was clearly being sarcastic...

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:46 am

The club survives. That is the chief concern right now. I'd sooner we consolidate this year. Crucially, build the stand, and appoint the new man for the job in time for next year. We may not have the funding of some in this league (which is a bit disjointed right now, warped by moneyed sides around us), but we have more than enough, as a fan owned club, to make it back to the conference.

Mid table this year, get the stand built, new manager, tilt at the playoffs next year. A run in the Trophy would be nice too....

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:01 pm

tezza wrote:

Astonishing:

Had we not hounded out 2 dedicated Directors over the ground grading fiasco, then I would suggest that he would possibly have been given his marching orders the Saturday after his "fans forum outburst"

Clearly the "In Martin Gray We Trust" brigade must now realise how hollow that rings.

There clearly was a conspiracy clique at work, the sole intent under the guise of "whats best for the club & fans" was all about the ambition of 1 man. This burning ambition undermining the ethos of the board, DFCSG and every fan that had invested.
This conspiracy , probably minus the odious Singh has continued since, with the self appointed , MG Cronie David Johnson overseeing, and rubber stamping events. I think we can start a countdown on his tenure.

In regard to MG achievements ,they are now a matter of record.Like many I have enjoyed the last 5 seasons more than any in my over 50 years of watching DFC. We do owe him a gratitude to assisting us to get where we are from where we were, however he too in return should never forget that it was only with the dedication & commitment that the fans in general displayed that has got him where he wanted to be.

There was a York fan on the board enquiring about MG Style. We all know on the field he prefers direct sometimes unattractive football. York seem equipped to convert to these tactics, however the same fan may have also been enquiring about his managerial style? To my mind the recent events, transfer dealings, playing tactics underpinned by contemptuous after match interviews, he can be summed up as the archetypical schoolyard bully.

Sometimes you have to be careful of what you wish for, MG has been granted his. For him the often perceived comfort of non league football may seem a long way away come March 2018 with a club that has a singular ambition. Get it wrong .. and I wish him well ..but he has risked everything on a one shot target. He could find himself on the heap of former out of work managers with the label "he had his chance and failed"

His departure now more than ever calls for us fans to stay with and support the likes of John Tempest , encourage the likes of Wayne Raper, after a short sabbatical to reconsider his position. Similarly others with the skills, time and dedication to step forward.

There is no immediate prospect of the "right" outside investor on the horizon, there therefore seems little option but to continue for the foreseeable future what we have started. Concentrate on the infrastructure, lower the expectations of the on the pitch activities seeking consolidation certainly for this season. Then have a clear strategy for the coming 5 years.

Lets start by turning up at the next home game and giving Attky, Gregan and the players our support
Calm down mate - think the Cat was taking the p*ss?