Compensation from Gray breaking contract?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Compensation from Gray breaking contract?

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:36 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Yarblockos wrote: Well, they've either dropped a bollock or they haven't. Doesn't it matter if you drop a bollock if you are a volunteer? And incidentally, isn't David Johnson on a retainer rather than being a volunteer? I can't believe a man of his experience would be that naive about letting someone leave to go to a rival firm.
Can't keep getting rid of people every time they make a mistake, eventually you run out of people.

Lessons need to be learned and the club needs to always be open, however the fans also need to be more understanding.

The crucifying of the board at the last forum went too far, even though the mistake was a vey big mistake.
The last fans forum was ridiculous and counterproductive. This is one of reasons I felt let down by Gray.

Up to this point I felt sympathy for him for having worked so hard and being denied a crack at the play offs (players too) however I expected him to stand up and send out a battle cry in the lines of ' we must move on and stay together and not appoint blame etc etc' and this is not what happened. Far from it!

The video of Gray at this forum is easy to find online, I watched it last night, it's bad.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:56 pm

Don’t suppose there is a link to the video?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:32 pm

https://twitter.com/darlouncovered/stat ... crucial%2F.

Try this ?

Or go to the Echo site and find 'Darlington FC facing £80k loss" @ 21 April.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:50 pm

Just watched it again and don't get a lot of these comments. Basically, everything he said was right and think deep down we all knew it and in fact it has basically happened. I.e. No investor = club gone as far as we can.
In fact he got applause throughout and a standing ovation so guess from that that everyone thought he was out of order and didn't like what he was saying.
Admittedly, at that point we did not know it was Singh, but I say again, basically everything he said was right!

Trike1

Post by Trike1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:00 pm

I disagree lad

we have 350 5 year season ticket holders that will give us an extra income of 50k at worst coming in each year once we have the seats sorted we could do a boost the budget and with nothing else to pay for that would hit at worst same as this year so there is another 40k.

we can and will go further patience is required

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:04 pm

But we HAVEN'T gone as far as we can.

We are a big enough club with a competitive budget, which will be more competitive in a couple of years when all the money clubs have gone - and when the 5 year ST holders have come back on board. Plus over the next few years we might manage to attract more sponsorhip than current levels, due to being back in town longer.

We should still be striving to get in the play offs over the next few seasons and we will eventually be promoted. Plenty to look forward to IMO.

THEN it will be difficult and we might have gone as far as we can.

Even with an investor we will hit a point where we've gone as far as we can.

The whole point of football is the hope that somehow, against the odds, next season will be better. We existed for decades in this state in division 4, at our limit, with the very occasional unexpected good season.

But we aren't at that point yet, we're still kicking around a level below our natural ceiling (I think our ceiling is the National League rather than L2)

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:06 pm

Apart from the fact he wasn't right. He spat his funny out every time he didn't get his own way, and when things didn't go as he wanted it looks like he orchestrated his own departure.

We have a long way to run with fan ownership. Just because it's difficult, doesn't make it wrong. If life was easy, we'd all be living in mansions and tossing money at the club every day. It's not. This club will continue to rise and just because it isn't going to happen as quickly as some had become accustomed to, doesn't change that.

This isn't over yet, but as said before by others, a huge weight has been lifted off the pressures of our club.

Investment will come in due course. But we have to make the club viable before that is even an option. Hard work continues.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:55 pm

Just after 4 minutes in:

I won't let this club stand in the way of my dream (stumbles over words)....my dream to take this club back to the football league.

And people clapped this s***?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:09 pm

Spyman wrote:Just after 4 minutes in:

I won't let this club stand in the way of my dream (stumbles over words)....my dream to take this club back to the football league.

This is the bit.... it caught my eye too.

Gray says this " I will not let this club, stand in my way, to take my dream, of taking our club, back to the football league"

The other bit that I noticed was this. Gray "we need stability now to move forward"
Quakerz wrote:But we HAVEN'T gone as far as we can.

We are a big enough club with a competitive budget, which will be more competitive in a couple of years when all the money clubs have gone - and when the 5 year ST holders have come back on board. Plus over the next few years we might manage to attract more sponsorhip than current levels, due to being back in town longer.

We should still be striving to get in the play offs over the next few seasons and we will eventually be promoted. Plenty to look forward to IMO.

The whole point of football is the hope that somehow, against the odds, next season will be better. We existed for decades in this state in division 4, at our limit, with the very occasional unexpected good season.

But we aren't at that point yet, we're still kicking around a level below our natural ceiling (I think our ceiling is the National League rather than L2)
Quakerz, great post.
Quakerlad wrote: Just watched it again and don't get a lot of these comments. Basically, everything he said was right and think deep down we all knew it and in fact it has basically happened. I.e. No investor = club gone as far as we can.
In fact he got applause throughout and a standing ovation so guess from that that everyone thought he was out of order and didn't like what he was saying.
Martin is obviously very good at motivational speaking and getting people onside - he should be too, it's his job - however I was there on that night and didn't clap, in fact I felt a little uneasy about the whole thing, a bit like I did that night when Sotnick was explaining some OTT plans about hotels and sports pitches and other such bollocks that I can't really remember now.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:30 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Gray says this " I will not let this club, stand in my way, to take my dream, of taking our club, back to the football league"

The other bit that I noticed was this. Gray "we need stability now to move forward"

Quakerz, great post.
Quakerlad wrote: Just watched it again and don't get a lot of these comments. Basically, everything he said was right and think deep down we all knew it and in fact it has basically happened. I.e. No investor = club gone as far as we can.
Martin is obviously very good at motivational speaking and getting people onside - he should be too, it's his job - however I was there on that night and didn't clap, in fact I felt a little uneasy about the whole thing, a bit like I did that night when Sotnick was explaining some OTT plans about hotels and sports pitches and other such bollocks that I can't really remember now.
Training trips to China with the players? :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:36 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Quakerz, great post.
Given how dour Martin Gray is and how he stumbles over his words making pre-written speeches, I find it hard to see how he inspires anyone!

I think his method of getting people on side appears more bullying than anything else - if you speak out against him you get sidelined.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:54 pm

Gray was mentored by big bully Penny last time they were together apparently that's Penny,s job. Penny was sent on garden leave at Bristol rovers a few years back.
Think they'll meet there match in Big Bully Beef John Parkin and McNamara.
The little s*** will try running back with his tail between his legs.

olrad

Post by olrad » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:58 pm

"If you speak out against him you get sidelined " more like if you upset the messiah you get a threatening visit at your place of work from the man himself . Beats winding up a group of henchmen to chase board members out of the club at fans forums I suppose. Bully of the highest order .

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:18 pm

What was going on with that tie...

Looks like he has an appointment with the local magistrate

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201710 ... e4648d.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:44 pm

(quote="Quakers")

The point is in our Div 4 years there was no relegation. A closed shop existed wherby
re-election every year for the bottom 4 teams was almost a foregone conclusion.
We had to apply 5 times and but for the closed shop we would have been bouncing around the Northern Premier League and possibly below. Pretty much where we are now.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:52 am

This whole saga makes us into a laughing stock. Still it's happened many times before and I'm sure it will happen many times in the future as well. I for one won't be going to York.
Last edited by Darlo_Pete on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:26 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:This whole sage makes us into a laughing stock. Still it's happened many times before and I'm sure it will happen many times in the future as well. I for one won't be going to York.
Is that first sentence a culinary joke?

Henley

Post by Henley » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:40 am

murtonquaker wrote:What was going on with that tie...

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201710 ... e4648d.jpg

Oi, stop plagiarising my quips!

https://www.darlofc.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 39#p412639

;)

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:36 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:This whole saga makes us into a laughing stock. Still it's happened many times before and I'm sure it will happen many times in the future as well. I for one won't be going to York.
Why would you even think about going to York :crazy:

and stop plagiarising Martin Gray's quips!
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:00 am

Are York trying to sign Darlo_Pete as well?

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am

lo36789 wrote:Are York trying to sign Darlo_Pete as well?
What sort of transfer fee should we be looking for?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:50 am

Alfie wrote:
A friendly between ball boys.

TDS

Post by TDS » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:51 am

Gray hardly comes across well in interviews and frequently mispronounces things, he's not a motivational speaker. The funny thing was that night is when he delivered all that and then went ".. right, are we done now, 'cos I'm off to pick up my indian takeaway?"

Oh I am sorry Mr Gray, we were taking our time listening to how the club you've help build over the past 4 years was a laughing stock, but no, you've got a curry on the way, my apologies.

Funny secondly because the majority of the room (the vocal lot) were cheering and applauding his drive for a money man. That has hopefully changed now. I've also seen a lot of "we can't criticize board members because we are fan owned, remember that!" digs on twitter in the past, that has recently changed too, which is good.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:02 am

Gray is not the Messiah, he is a very naughty man. At least we still have Brian ;)

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:12 am

TDS wrote:.... I've also seen a lot of "we can't criticize board members because we are fan owned, remember that!" digs on twitter in the past, that has recently changed too, which is good.

Its the manner of the criticism that is the issue.

The vitriolic and aggressive nature of the criticism is preventing people stepping up to be volunteers at board level

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Alfie wrote:
I'll donate £100 to the roof fund if they take him
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

offside

Post by offside » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:11 pm

Because they all believed him and where took in by him

I shouldnt say all because some actually did know what he was exactly like and others could not see the true picture

offside

Post by offside » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:14 pm

As part of the deal sending the 46-year-old to Bootham Crescent, the north-east club are to play York in a friendly next summer and be in receipt of all proceeds from the fixture.

Due to the terms of his contract, the Quakers would only have been entitled to an actual direct cash settlement if the former Sunderland and Oxford United midfielder had switched to a Football League club.

Meanwhile, speculation continues that Gray is attempting to take Darlo's highly-rated midfielder David Ferguson and 6ft 5ins centre-forward Mark Beck along with him to North Yorkshire.

Looking forward to your visit to bm nevermind that friendly game gray!!

Hope he gets booed through out and other things

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:01 pm

I bet the contract doesn't say we would only get a cash settlement if it was a league club. I presume it says if a league club comes along he can leave for £X or the remainder of the contracted payments, whichever is lower. That doesn't mean that if a club in the same league comes along he can walk for free. It means they can only get him by paying up his contract or agreeing a suitable fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:41 am

Henley wrote:
murtonquaker wrote:What was going on with that tie...

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201710 ... e4648d.jpg

Oi, stop plagiarising my quips!

https://www.darlofc.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 39#p412639

;)
Never saw that mate...apologies for plagiarism Image