York City Transfer Targets

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York City Transfer Targets

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:13 am

Echo are reporting that Beck and Ferguson missed training, which implies something not particularly surprising is going on.

I wouldn't begrudge either a move into FT football, but I hope we get fair compensation for them, unlike what we received for our ex-manager. It would pretty much destroy any good will I have left for what Gray achieved here if he's inserted clauses which allow him to asset strip on the cheap.

I saw it suggested on twitter that if York do have any bids accepted on twitter that we should make it public to see if anyone else is interested. I think that's a good idea. Gray shouldn't have exclusive rights to our best players, and also, particularly in the case of Ferguson, clubs higher up the pyramid may well be interested, and so we may avoid significantly strengthening a team who sit just 1 point ahead of us in the table.

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:23 am

Tonights training session attendance may be more informative. ?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:26 am

tezza wrote:Tonights training session attendance may be more informative. ?
Would be, although I'd say there's probably a decent chance we'd hear news sometime today if players are moving as you'd think Gray would want them to train at least once with their new teammates.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:27 am

al_quaker wrote:Echo are reporting that Beck and Ferguson missed training, which implies something not particularly surprising is going on.

I wouldn't begrudge either a move into FT football, but I hope we get fair compensation for them, unlike what we received for our ex-manager. It would pretty much destroy any good will I have left for what Gray achieved here if he's inserted clauses which allow him to asset strip on the cheap.

I saw it suggested on twitter that if York do have any bids accepted on twitter that we should make it public to see if anyone else is interested. I think that's a good idea. Gray shouldn't have exclusive rights to our best players, and also, particularly in the case of Ferguson, clubs higher up the pyramid may well be interested, and so we may avoid significantly strengthening a team who sit just 1 point ahead of us in the table.
I'm not sure why Gray would have anything to do with inserting clauses into players contracts anyway? Surely the board negotiate contracts.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:30 am

Spyman wrote: I'm not sure why Gray would have anything to do with inserting clauses into players contracts anyway? Surely the board negotiate contracts.
I'd be surprised if Gray didn't play a major role in negotiating players contracts.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:32 am

al_quaker wrote:
Spyman wrote: I'm not sure why Gray would have anything to do with inserting clauses into players contracts anyway? Surely the board negotiate contracts.
I'd be surprised if Gray didn't play a major role in negotiating players contracts.
You could of course be right - but why would a manager would want to insert release clauses into his own players contracts anyway?

Surely if he suggested something along those lines the board would rip it up.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:37 am

Spyman wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
You could of course be right - but why would a manager would want to insert release clauses into his own players contracts anyway?

Gray had a clause in his contract saying he could leave for a non FL club for 0 compensation. The board didn't rip that up. I do hope I'm wildly wrong re the players contracts, and that if they do leave we get fair compensation for them.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:44 am

al_quaker wrote:
Spyman wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

Gray had a clause in his contract saying he could leave for a non FL club for 0 compensation. The board didn't rip that up. I do hope I'm wildly wrong re the players contracts, and that if they do leave we get fair compensation for them.
Yes but it is one thing a Manager negotiating his own contract and specifying that clause to give himself a route out.

It would be another thing entirely is a Manager gave his own players a route out. What if Salford came in for Ferguson while Gray was still our manager?

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:47 am

Yes fair point. Like I said, I hope my feeling is completely wrong and just a bit of paranoia!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:53 am

al_quaker wrote:Yes fair point. Like I said, I hope my feeling is completely wrong and just a bit of paranoia!
Who knows - maybe Gray slipped in a "may leave for free for a full time club outside the football league at a club managed by Martin Gray" clause. :lol:

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:56 am

Spyman wrote:
al_quaker wrote:Yes fair point. Like I said, I hope my feeling is completely wrong and just a bit of paranoia!
Who knows - maybe Gray slipped in a "may leave for free for a full time club outside the football league at a club managed by Martin Gray" clause. :lol:
:lol: nothing would surprise me with this club!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:13 am

Spyman wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

Putting a release clause in to a new contract / renewal is an attractive proposition to a player that has ambitions to return to the full-time game. Otherwise they may not have signed or renewed with us.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:18 am

When Gray signed his contract we were still at HP and everything was going fine, probably no one expected him to leave for anyone other than an EFL club. It was the seat fiasco that changed things. As for Ferguson he deserves better than York. There must be clubs in the league above that would like him.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:20 am

al_quaker wrote:Echo are reporting that Beck and Ferguson missed training, which implies something not particularly surprising is going on.

Word is Beck is injured ( no surprise) and Ferguson was on England duty

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:31 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

Putting a release clause in to a new contract / renewal is an attractive proposition to a player that has ambitions to return to the full-time game. Otherwise they may not have signed or renewed with us.
Of course - but you'd expect the value on the release clause to be reflective of the fact it was a full-time team with a full-time budget coming in for them.

I have no objection to any of our players wanting to go full-time but a team that can afford a full-time squad can afford to pay a fair price for that player.

If I were Ferguson/Beck or any other player I'd be hoping for a move to a club in the league above rather than a footballing side-step to York.

DC

TDS

Post by TDS » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:40 am

Is it a side step? They are paying 2k a week to certain players by all accounts and if you have nothing yet on in terms of a career, why would you turn 2 years full time on more money than stagnating training twice a week at darlo?

Interesting point R.E. the making a bid for any of our players public. I agree. Although isn't the window closed for clubs L2 upwards? May mean Gray has them all to himself.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:03 pm

MKDarlo wrote:
Word is Beck is injured ( no surprise) and Ferguson was on England duty
Forgot about Beck's injury, but the England training is 8th - 10th October (according to our official site), so I'm not sure that will be correct for Ferguson.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:06 pm

TDS wrote:Is it a side step? They are paying 2k a week to certain players by all accounts and if you have nothing yet on in terms of a career, why would you turn 2 years full time on more money than stagnating training twice a week at darlo?

Interesting point R.E. the making a bid for any of our players public. I agree. Although isn't the window closed for clubs L2 upwards? May mean Gray has them all to himself.
A footballing side-step. I'm not talking about finance.

By all accounts if they don't go up this season they could well be looking at part-time next season anyway.

DC

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:25 pm

In which case and assuming he survives not getting promoted he would find himself in a Part Time Team with a reduced playing budget ... sounds familiar.

BaronsCourtQuaker

York City Transfer Targets

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Of the three players being linked Bartlett, Beck & Ferguson I only really see the Bartlett move being sensible for all involved.

I'd be happy too see Bartlett stay but not sure our fortunes have greatly improved since his arrival. Individually good performances but I think in both Ed and (when we had) Jameson we had capable keepers (Jameson just needed a break I suspect). These two lads perhaps helped create a better atmosphere in the squad.

Beck, I'm not as big a fan as many others. I see what he brings but rather one dimensional (which suits Gray and is fine at times). However it's hard to watch and when it's not working like this season he doesn't give much more. It may well be due to injury. So coupled with York already having 'big' names up top is a large financial outlay worthwhile.

Finally Ferguson, this boy could do much much better than a gamble of York. I don't see them winning the league so humping all your hopes in Full Time football beyond this season for a playoff gamble seems mad. Plus he is a seriously good player who I suspect would not look out of place in plenty of league 1 & 2 teams.

I'm also not sure how full time York are and what second jobs the three players are giving up. I suspect though it's a pretty big risk for all.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Thommo, Galbraith or Gillies were interesting Gray.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:43 pm

Spyman wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

To convince them to sign.

Say Beck isn't sure about signing 3 year contract, MG says "How about we add clause that if we get an offer over 20k from a full time club then you can leave." Beck accepts that and it's added to his contract.

Gray will have discussed with the players any clauses built in.

offside

Post by offside » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:12 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Of course gray played a major role in contracts he was trying to do everything for himself!!!

It was i want i want i want from him!!!

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:30 pm

Tonights training: Gray turns up to wish the players a fond farewell. Several did not shake his hand. Ferguson & Beck gone £60k. Bartlett a notable absentee.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:56 pm

tezza wrote:Tonights training: Gray turns up to wish the players a fond farewell. Several did not shake his hand. Ferguson & Beck gone £60k. Bartlett a notable absentee.
If true (you've been full of s*** in the past), then good for those players.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Roadrunner, can you confirm?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:49 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Roadrunner, can you confirm?
Is that some kind of joke?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:54 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:Roadrunner, can you confirm?
Is that some kind of joke?
Roadrunner knows f**k all, he occasionally uses corporate at BM and embarrassingly siddles himself up to people he thinks are in the know, please don’t give him any credence.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:56 pm

I wasn't, it was tongue in cheek.