Atkinson and Gregan gone

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

coles
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Atkinson and Gregan gone

Post by coles » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:33 pm

Well I for one applaud the club for having the common sense to check things out with the league better to find out now than in three months time and cause more disruption

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:34 pm

al_quaker wrote:Not sure why Gregan seemed happy with a contract until the end of the season when he was joint manager with Atkinson, but not after Atkinson had to leave.
And - why wasn't he offered a longer deal? Or stay to assist an incoming manager?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:34 pm

Awkward in the short term, better in the long term. Never fancied them long term.

Games are not so thick and fast now so i hope we can take a bit of time and find a genuinely long term option.

Season not over yet by a long chalk either.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:34 pm

Quakerlad wrote:And there we have it, like I said a couple of days ago to all those who thought it for the best and good riddance to Gray, good riddance to talk of investment etc etc . Club unstable and a laughing stock yet again......no manager, no coaches, no plan, no stand, no money.......and soon no best players........and yet a lot of you still think it's for the best.!
Could have all looked so so different.
The only person who came forward with 'investment' proposal was the man who did more than any other to put us in this mess.

We have no manager because he chose to leave

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:36 pm

All this talk of "At least we've done due diligence."

Why wasn't this done on Sunday? The rush to appoint Atkinson has made us even more of a laughing stock.

They'll wind up at York. Why was Gregan happy with the length of his deal on Sunday but not five days later?
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:37 pm

Darlogramps wrote:All this talk of "At least we've done due diligence."

Why wasn't this done on Sunday? The rush to appoint Atkinson has made us even more of a laughing stock.

They'll wind up at York. Why was Gregan happy with the length of his deal on Sunday but not five days later?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Yeah, i expect you're right, he's going to York. I 'get' the Atkinson bit, Gregan walking away just defies logic. Taking unemployment for security... Righto.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:37 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:And there we have it, like I said a couple of days ago to all those who thought it for the best and good riddance to Gray, good riddance to talk of investment etc etc . Club unstable and a laughing stock yet again......no manager, no coaches, no plan, no stand, no money.......and soon no best players........and yet a lot of you still think it's for the best.!
The only person who came forward with 'investment' proposal was the man who did more than any other to put us in this mess.

And Singh wasn't investing in the club. He was investing in MG's playing budget.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Gutted about this, but it is for the best, given the conflict of interest, while I dont think too highly of Martin Gray, I wished it could have worked out for Brian Atkinson

Why is Sean Gregan leaving, I seen somwhere he wanted more security in his job.

So it seems to be down to Gary Brown and Phil Turnbull to take over in the interim, could it be a chance for one of the older players to step up and try there hand at management, I would love to see someone like Gary Brown get a proper chance

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

And Singh wasn't investing in the club. He was investing in MG's playing budget.
And that.

Gray has split the fanbase terribly. What a legacy that is :clap:

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:41 pm

Gray has completely fucked over this club in the last week.

FUCK OFF.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:43 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

And that.

Gray has split the fanbase terribly. What a legacy that is :clap:
from what we see on here and elsewhere it certainly isn't an even split - great majority seem to have come to a judgement on Gray's character (or had existing view confirmed).

Eaststandbaldie

Post by Eaststandbaldie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Why has it taken this long ,we've lost five days looking for a new manager.
We all knew of the conflict of interest and I for one am glad they've gone.
Every thing is up in the air now (no change there then),all we can do is get behind the
lads on Saturday.
You never know we may already have plans in place for a new manager.
Things happen fast at this level.
See ya Saturday.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:48 pm

Hello Martin / Radged / McLaren etc. again

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Alfie wrote: from what we see on here and elsewhere it certainly isn't an even split - great majority seem to have come to a judgement on Gray's character (or had existing view confirmed).
I'm sick of hearing 'we need investment' at games, as if we're turning down a queue of incredibly wealthy people who want to chuck cash at a small NE football club from the goodness of their hearts. And that is all down to our ex-manager and his ego. Hopefully now he has gone we can get a manager who doesn't take a pop at our ownership structure every time we don't win a match, or one who doesn't demand more and more money.

theoriginalcount

Post by theoriginalcount » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:53 pm

There is a kind of Dunkirk spirit coming out of all this mess and this clear out is perhaps what was needed for us to progress.

Gray has gone, and with it leaves a legacy for which we are grateful, but the way it was handled leaves a bitter taste in the mouths of most fans, many like me who kept digging deep to meet the various financial targets (and will still do).

It seems as though Atkinson and Gregan will be following their leader to York and with hindsight, it all starts to fall into place. Whenever I spoke to Martin, I felt an air of intimidation and he seemed to rule with the sword. My way or the highway and the way his two coaches operated, they were never in a position to question what he did. Gregan seemed as if he didn't care, and Atkinson's demeanour told you he wasn't that serious about it!

What this opportunity does give is for that team spirit to shine through. In Turnbull and Brown, they may lack managerial experience but you cannot question their commitment to Darlington FC. Both are leaders on the pitch and will play through the pain barriers for their team. Lump Cartman into that as well and it is these lads who now have the chance to rally the team, whatever is left of it, and give what they can for the cause.

I'll be there Saturday as usual, and even if we lose 10-0, I shall applaud each and every one of them off, because you know what they say - when the going gets tough...

Gray and his henchmen have gone, thanks for the memories, but we won't be sending you Christmas cards, this is the latest new order in Darlington's long and turbulent history, let's make the most of it.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Saturday will be my first game of the season, planned for some time now, and I honestly can't wait.

Fresh start. Pretence of being a wannabe full-time club now well and truly on the back-burner.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:59 pm

A question re conflicts of interest. How does it work with our CEO, who is a business partner of York's manager. I'm not casting any aspersions at him, but the league didn't like a business link between 2 managers in their league, so will they like a business link between a manager and a CEO?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:00 pm

al_quaker wrote:A question re conflicts of interest. How does it work with our CEO, who is a business partner of York's manager. I'm not casting any aspersions at him, but the league didn't like a business link between 2 managers in their league, so will they like a business link between a manager and a CEO?
I thought he was a former business partner?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Spyman wrote:
al_quaker wrote:A question re conflicts of interest. How does it work with our CEO, who is a business partner of York's manager. I'm not casting any aspersions at him, but the league didn't like a business link between 2 managers in their league, so will they like a business link between a manager and a CEO?
I thought he was a former business partner?
Are they? My mistake!

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:04 pm

One to ask at tomorrow's Netcafe

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:07 pm

It is absolutely for the best.

I wasn't comfortable with Atkinson and Gregan being managers - not because I don't like them or anything but because of the fact that they are bezzies with Gray, work for him at the acadamey, and the obvious potential conflict of interest.

In any case, when a manager leaves it is not unusual for the coaches to also go.

Just because they have gone doesn't mean that the club is unstable or a laughing stock.

As far as the budget goes, well we have a pretty good spend on management alone, now this can be rectified with a new man and his assistant.

And how could things have looked so different man? Do you really think Singh would have splashed loads of cash and we would live happily ever after? You're deluded.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

offside

Post by offside » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:07 pm

AndyPark wrote:Gray has completely fucked over this club in the last week.

FUCK OFF.

Totally agree and knew it was coming ages ago itbwas just a matter of time!!!!

offside

Post by offside » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

Thats all martin gray wanted money money money!!!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:10 pm

Quakerz wrote:

And how could things have looked so different man? Do you really think Singh would have splashed loads of cash and we would live happily ever after? You're deluded.
If Singh had been allowed back in we really would have been the laughing stock that Gray and Quakerlad think we are. Imagine letting back in the bloke who tried his best to kill the club the first time momentum looks like it's slowing down just because he's got a bit of cash :lol:

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:13 pm

H1987 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:All this talk of "At least we've done due diligence."

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Yeah, i expect you're right, he's going to York. I 'get' the Atkinson bit, Gregan walking away just defies logic. Taking unemployment for security... Righto.
I thought Sean also worked for MGFA?

Anyway, sad to lose them but I suppose it rubs out a lot of those questions which were being lined up for the Netcafe tomorrow. Brian found himself in a terrible position not of his own making.

It's no great surprise given what's been discussed on here over the past few days.

Still, if we're no longer going to be paying MGFA for management services we should have enough to employ a new manager.

It also clears away a lot more of the lingering clouds hanging over the club. All that remains in my mind is whether the players' contracts are worded in a way which protects us.

In the interim maybe we should refuse permission for anyone to speak to any of our players until we've appointed a new manager, if that's possible? Even put out a statement to that effect.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:21 pm

Dont worry Raj, you're still not welcome back under any circumstances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:33 pm

DFCSG Statement re Brian Atkinson & Sean Gregan

http://dfcsg.co.uk/?x=entry:entry171005-173000

Darlington FC Supporters Group notes the announcement earlier today from the DFC board regarding Brian Atkinson & Sean Gregan.

The DFCSG board have been fully consulted over the last few days and are satisfied that the DFC board has taken decisions that are in the best interests of Darlington Football Club, our members, and supporters.

We’d like to place on record our thanks to both Brian and Sean. The significant role they have played in the amazingly successful last 5 seasons will not be forgotten and they will be welcomed back to Darlington at any time. It’s highly unfortunate that the opportunity for them to be joint managers of Darlington FC has been taken away from them by circumstances outside of their control.

We understand this is a period of significant change at the Football Club but firmly believe under a new football management team, that fully buys into the ethos of a supporters owned club, Darlington FC will continue to progress both on and off the pitch.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Obviously Atkinson was not too bothered about the managers job as he could of just resigned as a director instead

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Probably the bigger question was why did the league allow MG to become manager of another club and create the conflict of interest in the first place. He should have been the one asked to resign, not Brian Atkinson.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:53 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Obviously Atkinson was not too bothered about the managers job as he could of just resigned as a director instead
I'd imagine it depends on what he is more reliant on to pay the bills. If most of his wage comes from working for the academy, then I can see why he went that way.

I don't understand Gregan, and can only assume he's going to York as well. In no way is no job better than a job only guaranteed for 8 months.