Who would you like to see take over?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

offside
Team Supported: Darlington

Who would you like to see take over?

Post by offside » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Who would you like to see take over as manager?

quaker4life

Re: Who would you like to see take over?

Post by quaker4life » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm

An administrator.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:25 pm

Dave Hodgson

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:33 pm

To be honest, i'd go for either someone who has succeeded at a lower level who wants to step up, or maybe a player manager. Wasn't Matthew Bates taking his coaching badges? He was caretaker for Pools for a bit last year?

We could do an awful lot worse than Hodgy, if he fancied doing it until the end of the season. It's probably worth making the call. Yes he's been out of the game a while, but the players will respect him, and the fundamentals don't ever go away. I wouldn't be sanctioning much in the way of recruitment for any temporary manager. For someone who could guide us through until we make a permanent appointment, he'd maybe be ideal. I'm sure he doesn't want to be back in football permanently.

Other than that, you're looking for people who are local, and you're limited by it not being a full time position.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:40 pm

Chris Hardy please

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:41 pm

Would love to see Alan White given a chance with an experienced head alongside him

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:42 pm

Chris Hardy for me.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:48 pm

Craig Higgnet / Garry Pallister with investor, Hodgy as chairman.

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Someone with lots of connections with money to invest.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:53 pm

leedscol wrote:Someone with lots of connections with money to invest.
Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum?

dfcjosh

Post by dfcjosh » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Chris Hardy

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Undercovered wrote:
leedscol wrote:Someone with lots of connections with money to invest.
Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum?

What he said :-)

offside

Post by offside » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:03 pm

Undercovered wrote:Would love to see Alan White given a chance with an experienced head alongside him
Yeah would love to see whitey come in meself

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:05 pm

H1987 wrote: the fundamentals don't ever go away.
They did for Colin Todd....

We need someone who can steady the ship and then start competing with the resources we have available. That needs to be someone with contacts and a knowledge of this level of football and probably the leagues below in terms of being able to recruit hungry players who won't cost the world.

Hardy (although I know little about him) seems to be the one ticking those boxes. I'd entertain the idea of Alan White coming back in a coaching capacity but not as the main man. He has spent a few seasons playing around these leagues - always came across as one of those hot-headed on the pitch but not necessarily off it, but I'd like to see someone with some experience and no Darlo links at the helm initially.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:08 pm

So we're all glad to get rid of MG's "if you don't like it f**k off" mentality and it's then suggested to bring in Alan White...
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:10 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:So we're all glad to get rid of MG's "if you don't like it f**k off" mentality and it's then suggested to bring in Alan White...
Like I said, I've never really got the impression White's on-field persona matches his off-field persona. Could be wrong but he comes across very differently to Gray in my opinion.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

broadsexile

Post by broadsexile » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:11 pm

Chris Hardy. I don't think we can realistically recruit from the same level, not with the ground the way it is and our inability to offer anyone a substantially better budget. If that was feasible and we still have any 'big club' pull I'd have said it might be worth having a look at Alun Armstrong. Totally unrealistic though.

I'm not even sure we're worth the risk of leaving a managerial job for at the moment, though. Everything seems so up in the air. Could well be a former player or - and I hope this isn't the case - one of those managers that's been around forever but hasn't managed a club for a while.

broadsexile

Post by broadsexile » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Spyman wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:So we're all glad to get rid of MG's "if you don't like it f**k off" mentality and it's then suggested to bring in Alan White...
Like I said, I've never really got the impression White's on-field persona matches his off-field persona. Could be wrong but he comes across very differently to Gray in my opinion.
Yeah, when interviewed White seems to come across as a likeable, switched-on and pretty modest character. No idea where all that went on the pitch, though.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:14 pm

broadsexile wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Yeah, when interviewed White seems to come across as a likeable, switched-on and pretty modest character. No idea where all that went on the pitch, though.
Martin Keown II

DC

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:18 pm

roadrunner wrote:Craig Higgnet / Garry Pallister with investor, Hodgy as chairman.
Which pub were they all in?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:19 pm

And us old gits remember Tommy Smith, Ron chopper Harris, Norman bites yer legs Hunter, all seemed totally different off the pitch!

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:19 pm

broadsexile wrote:Chris Hardy. I don't think we can realistically recruit from the same level, not with the ground the way it is and our inability to offer anyone a substantially better budget. If that was feasible and we still have any 'big club' pull I'd have said it might be worth having a look at Alun Armstrong. Totally unrealistic though.

I'm not even sure we're worth the risk of leaving a managerial job for at the moment, though. Everything seems so up in the air. Could well be a former player or - and I hope this isn't the case - one of those managers that's been around forever but hasn't managed a club for a while.

Totally disagree. I think we're a big pull and are in the top 10 teams in this league on merit regardless of what's gone on. Definitely not sure on Armstrong, I think he inherited much of what he has

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:19 pm

We already have a chairman...

broadsexile

Post by broadsexile » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:21 pm

Undercovered wrote:
broadsexile wrote:Chris Hardy. I don't think we can realistically recruit from the same level, not with the ground the way it is and our inability to offer anyone a substantially better budget. If that was feasible and we still have any 'big club' pull I'd have said it might be worth having a look at Alun Armstrong. Totally unrealistic though.

Totally disagree. I think we're a big pull and are in the top 10 teams in this league on merit regardless of what's gone on. Definitely not sure on Armstrong, I think he inherited much of what he has
Maybe so - Blyth were certainly unlucky the season before he took over, but he has taken them up and they're above us as it stands.

I reckon we're still a big pull as far as players are concerned but I don't think what happened at the back end of last season would have made us look a particularly alluring prospect for an ambitious manager.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:52 pm

Why are we inviting CV,s for goodness sake. Surely any well run club should be drawing up a short list and pro actively approaching them starting with first choice, and please don't say you can,t do that! The board like us must have guessed that Gray may disappear at some point, and should have been ready. It's like we are looking for a part time admin person! Do completely understand the volunteer thing, but the chief exec came in talking about how professional he was going to make uS etc etc.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:54 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Why are we inviting CV,s for goodness sake. Surely any well run club should be drawing up a short list and pro actively approaching them starting with first choice, and please don't say you can,t do that! The board like us must have guessed that Gray may disappear at some point, and should have been ready. It's like we are looking for a part time admin person! Do completely understand the volunteer thing, but the chief exec came in talking about how professional he was going to make uS etc etc.
We don't have any full time employees, and we probably can't afford to pay any release clauses to other clubs for their managers.

Hopefully someone with some degree of experience applies.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:58 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Why are we inviting CV,s for goodness sake. Surely any well run club should be drawing up a short list and pro actively approaching them starting with first choice, and please don't say you can,t do that! The board like us must have guessed that Gray may disappear at some point, and should have been ready. It's like we are looking for a part time admin person! Do completely understand the volunteer thing, but the chief exec came in talking about how professional he was going to make uS etc etc.
Why are we inviting applications for a job opening?! Ridiculous question by somebody who seems to love a moan

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:04 pm

I'd love to see Brian Little back.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:08 pm

I'd be happy with Craig Hignett. Managerial experience, ex-Darlo and should be able to attract investment from his contacts in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Full time Gateshead are inviting CVs for their managerial vacancy.

Not uncommon, even in the Football League so stop being such a pathetic bed-wetter.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY