Who would you like to see take over?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

The Golden Hairclip
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who would you like to see take over?

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:12 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:Why are we inviting CV,s for goodness sake. Surely any well run club should be drawing up a short list and pro actively approaching them starting with first choice, and please don't say you can,t do that! The board like us must have guessed that Gray may disappear at some point, and should have been ready. It's like we are looking for a part time admin person! Do completely understand the volunteer thing, but the chief exec came in talking about how professional he was going to make uS etc etc.
Full time Gateshead are inviting CVs for their managerial vacancy.

Not uncommon, even in the Football League so stop being such a pathetic bed-wetter.
Totally agree with Darlogramps. No harm inviting CVs and drawing up a list of targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:20 pm

I want to see an experienced non league manager appointed who is familiar with working to and sticking to a budget, organisaing a team and getting the best out of what he has.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:22 pm

MKDarlo wrote:I want to see an experienced non league manager appointed who is familiar with working to and sticking to a budget, organisaing a team and getting the best out of what he has.
.. and one who can have a better record than winning one match in the previous 11.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Phlash

Post by Phlash » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:23 pm

What about Tommy Wright at Nuneaton? The fans took well to him at the game last season

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:24 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:I'd be happy with Craig Hignett. Managerial experience, ex-Darlo and should be able to attract investment from his contacts in the game.

Yes good mates with Raj and and Alun Armstrong who has a football academy just maybe,maybe, we may get that Investment after all.
Would like to see Gray,s face then.

Radar

Post by Radar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:25 pm

CHRIS HARDY

Without doubt the best man for the job. Lots of experience in Non League and plays a brand of football i think we will all enjoy.

Hodgy was brilliant for us with lots of money at his disposal, he's not right for us now.

Hignett was a top player at the highest level, but that doesn't mean anything in management as he found out at Hartlepool.

Lower league football is about knowledge of non league players and being able to prepare a group of players who have full time jobs. It's the hardest leve to manage at so I'm hoping we don't go for a big name because I fear the odds are strongly against it working out. Hardy is a no brainer!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:26 pm

Nuneaton have plenty of cash, therefore Wright is probably another cheque book manager.

As for who to take over - as long as we can afford compensation to their club and as long as they're interested - Alun Armstrong or Chris Hardy are the stand outs.

Not interested in the likes of Hignett and 4 times a Quaker.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:31 pm

There is zero chance of anyone coming from a rival club that requires compensation or anyone who would have to give up a full-time role in football to take a short-term part-time contract with us. That rules out Liddle, Hignett, Hodgson, Pallister, Armstrong, Ainsley, Wright, etc.

Chris Hardy is the standout candidate from local football; Alan White is probably the pick of former players.

However, I'm open to due process selecting the best candidate available.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:33 pm

As this the comment above it really rests on the contractual situation at the club's of thesexy managers but I'd certainly be interested in Chris Hardy, Alan Armstrong and another name to add to the list Mark Bowers doing a very good job currently at Bradford PA.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:33 pm

Yes, I think it was a great idea to ask for CVs. In fact it's spurred me on to update mine.... problem is so far it reads something like:
"Plenty to say, nil football knowledge, tactically inept, no achievements, crap at man management and useless with budgets."

Still, there may be hope. Steve McClaren got the England job after all.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:34 pm

Quakerz wrote:Nuneaton have plenty of cash, therefore Wright is probably another cheque book manager.

As for who to take over - as long as we can afford compensation to their club and as long as they're interested - Alun Armstrong or Chris Hardy are the stand outs.

No need for compensation. Just offer them a friendly next summer if their manager resigns.

I'd be a fan of Armstrong getting the job although I suspect he'll want to go full time in due course.

Hardy is more realistic if we're talking long term. But given his relative stability at Whitby- why would he come to a club which, to outsiders, looks a complete basketcase.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Quakerz wrote:Nuneaton have plenty of cash, therefore Wright is probably another cheque book manager.

No need for compensation. Just offer them a friendly next summer if their manager resigns.

I'd be a fan of Armstrong getting the job although I suspect he'll want to go full time in due course.

Hardy is more realistic if we're talking long term. But given his relative stability at Whitby- why would he come to a club which, to outsiders, looks a complete basketcase.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Hardy may see us as a stepping stone to a full-time position in football which is unlikely to be his next move from Whitby. But, as you say, he may think otherwise for the reasons you've outlined.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:39 pm

It's also a club that's just had five fantastic years , better supported than some in the National League and with a very good budget.

As regards Hardy, his two-year contract at Whitby runs out next year. Outside of football he is a partner in a Teesside business that does courier work, energy solutions and satellite installations. I think he's from Norton.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Billy Miller would be my choice. Did a great job at Harrogate RA and took tadcaster to evostik. He worked at Darlington previously.
Last edited by princes town on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:57 pm

princes town wrote:Billy Miller would be my choice. Did a great job at Harrogate RA and is currently managing tadcaster. He worked at Darlington previously.
I work in Tadcaster I will ask the locals what they think, will it be a good move for him???ImageImageImageImage

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:15 pm

He left tadcaster due change of owner. So who knows. Has a high pressure day job but his record us impeccable and a top bloke.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:31 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Yes, I think it was a great idea to ask for CVs. In fact it's spurred me on to update mine.... problem is so far it reads something like:
"Plenty to say, nil football knowledge, tactically inept, no achievements, crap at man management and useless with budgets."

Still, there may be hope. Steve McClaren got the England job after all.
But on the plus side you are aware of your limitations

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:39 pm

Just to throw one in. Gary mills (unless he's gone to Gateshead). Turnbull was a big admirer of him

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:44 pm

He's a few names John Carver, Russ Wilcox, Micky Cummings,Steve Agnew,

bga

Post by bga » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:11 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:I'd be happy with Craig Hignett. Managerial experience, ex-Darlo and should be able to attract investment from his contacts in the game.

Didn't he nearly take Poolie down?

TCB 42

Post by TCB 42 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Brian Little or Neil Aspin
Great

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Neil Aspin has gone to Port Vale

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Why are we inviting CV,s for goodness sake. Surely any well run club should be drawing up a short list and pro actively approaching them starting with first choice, and please don't say you can,t do that! The board like us must have guessed that Gray may disappear at some point, and should have been ready. It's like we are looking for a part time admin person! Do completely understand the volunteer thing, but the chief exec came in talking about how professional he was going to make uS etc etc.
Someone block this absolute chopper.

He's either a hanger on a wind up or he's on the take from Martin Gray's full time budget.

Either way, he's pretending to be a Darlo fan and he can fuck off.

Also, most jobs are advertised, ie invite applications.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks Spyman, whoever you are.
Actually been a supporter for over 50 yrs, missing very few games, putting plenty of my own money in over the years, so please do not doubt that I am pretending to be a fan! How many years for you?
That's part for the problem on here. You should be able to post what you feel. Some will agree and some won't, that's life, but telling someone to F... off and more is counter productive and immature I,m afraid.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Thanks Spyman, whoever you are.
Actually been a supporter for over 50 yrs, missing very few games, putting plenty of my own money in over the years, so please do not doubt that I am pretending to be a fan! How many years for you?
That's part for the problem on here. You should be able to post what you feel. Some will agree and some won't, that's life, but telling someone to F... off and more is counter productive and immature I,m afraid.
One of the other problems on here is old folk believing they are 'better' fans because they've been supporting the team for a longer period of time. Your 50+ years doesn't make you a better fan than Spyman if his time is less than that.

By your own admission everybody should be able to post what they feel on here, which is exactly what Spyman did. Internet message boards are not the place to frequent if you have a thin skin.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:Internet message boards are not the place to frequent if you have a thin skin.
Particularly if you're going to have a strop about the club inviting applications for the managers job. Of course you're going to get called out for that :lol:

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:30 pm

For me I’d go for someone like Mick Wadsworth or Colin Cooper

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Quakerlad wrote:missing very few games, putting plenty of my own money in over the years, so please do not doubt that I am pretending to be a fan! How many years for you?
So you're a better fan than everyone else because you've been to more games, attended longer and put X amounts of funds in the club.

Grow up.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:18 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Thanks Spyman, whoever you are.
Come and introduce yourself on Saturday. Some friends and I are sponsoring the ball or some such. You may even know one of them given your age.

If you're interested then let me know via private message and I'll send you my number.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:39 pm

Re the selection process, does anyone know if the Supporters Group will have an input over shortlisting, interviews and appointing the new boss.