Team v Stockport

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Team v Stockport

Post by jjljks » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Very much a string & sealing wax improvised team who played with guts &' intelligence. We probably played it along the ground more in this match than the last 5 of MGs reign and it did pay off as well as helping us maintain possession. Great effort all round with AB keeping out their attacks, Turnbull controlling things, Dom had his best game then all the front players harrying them but special mention to Harvey who ran himself into the ground. Great commitment and such a shame they nicked their equaliser so close to the end. All that with the prematch shenanigans meant it was a good performance and something to build on.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:40 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Beano wrote:I'm totally unconvinced by Saunders. Whilst I admire his work ethic, he has offered very little end product.
I understand your thinking in terms of him being one of the main strikers but today was his first start of the season.

Love his energy, effort & commitment and would play him most times at the minute, is he long term one of our front two then not totally convinced but a good manager should be able to develop him.
When I look at Harvey Saunders I see how much he has already developed since he made his debut earlier this year. I'm excited by how much more there might be to come with the right coaching & attitude.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:48 pm

Saunders has pace and effort, which means he makes things happen. Needs to work on plenty, but he's only played a handful of games, and he should improve. Shame neither he nor Cartman could put away very good opportunities in the second half to finish the game off, but Stockport were probably worth a point.

Decent performance - no questioning the desire and the heart of this squad of players. And it also showed this season is not over yet - get Brown back in defense, Galbraith to LB, and then we're only a decent striker (or Beck staying) away from a very decent side. Thompson had his best game of the season by a mile, as did Collins. It's not quite happening for Gillies at the moment, but it was good to see him putting plenty of effort in. Hopefully today renews a bit of confidence in everyone

Be interesting to see who comes in as manager, but we should be attractive to plenty as there is still the nucleus of a good side there.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Beano wrote:I'm totally unconvinced by Saunders. Whilst I admire his work ethic, he has offered very little end product.
I understand your thinking in terms of him being one of the main strikers but today was his first start of the season.

Love his energy, effort & commitment and would play him most times at the minute, is he long term one of our front two then not totally convinced but a good manager should be able to develop him.
When I look at Harvey Saunders I see how much he has already developed since he made his debut earlier this year. I'm excited by how much more there might be to come with the right coaching & attitude.
Well Saunders has the right attitude, just needs the right manager/coach to bring him on.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:20 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Why wasn't the game segregated surely when the fixtures were released that game should of automatically been put on the segregated list...Image Especially 3 weeks ago they were scraping at York.
Not sure why, we probably didn't expect them to bring as many and also there hooligan element. As I was leaving the bar John Tempest was near the door looking very worried at was happening. If we're in the same league next season and on yesterday's showing that's very likely, this game will definitely be segregated.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:02 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:Why wasn't the game segregated surely when the fixtures were released that game should of automatically been put on the segregated list...Image Especially 3 weeks ago they were scraping at York.
Not sure why, we probably didn't expect them to bring as many and also there hooligan element. As I was leaving the bar John Tempest was near the door looking very worried at was happening. If we're in the same league next season and on yesterday's showing that's very likely, this game will definitely be segregated.
They are a well supported team Pete 2000/3000 at home, they have always had some dickheads...

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:02 am

After one training session, the lads showed that you can mix up your tactics and cause your rivals problems. Gray's one-dimensional approach went out of the window and it largely worked.

Very interesting that Cartman tweeted:
"How refreshing to pass the ball around for 90 minutes than just being told to lump it forward! Everyone involved were superb today."

Sounds like in some ways a weight has been lifted off people's shoulders.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:29 am

I think Cartman and Saunders perform the same role of working hard from the front, closing and pressing opposition defenders, forcing mistakes and linking play with teammates.

But, for me, it is one or the other. Both need to play with a natural finisher, for whom they open a lot of space, to bring out the best in themselves and their partner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Decent performance, happy to see some of the football played, but I felt there wasn't a presence up front. Would still be delighted to have Beck up top, but just that we would mix it up a bit. The direct game shouldn't be totally stopped, just varied. Felt at times our midfielders kept the ball because there wasn't a lot to aim for.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:47 pm

D_F_C wrote:Decent performance, happy to see some of the football played, but I felt there wasn't a presence up front. Would still be delighted to have Beck up top, but just that we would mix it up a bit. The direct game shouldn't be totally stopped, just varied. Felt at times our midfielders kept the ball because there wasn't a lot to aim for.
Totally agree... Becky can play it on the floor too he is skilful

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:55 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
D_F_C wrote:Decent performance, happy to see some of the football played, but I felt there wasn't a presence up front. Would still be delighted to have Beck up top, but just that we would mix it up a bit. The direct game shouldn't be totally stopped, just varied. Felt at times our midfielders kept the ball because there wasn't a lot to aim for.
Totally agree... Becky can play it on the floor too he is skilful
Well we may keep Beck who knows, seems the medical was failed and he is out for a few weeks.

Not a bad attitude after everything facing up to it yesterday and sitting on the bench with the lads. If he stays good, if we get a decent enough offer to go full time and he goes then fair enough.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:59 pm

Best performance from Thomo for ages, MOTM for me.