Fans Radio

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo-and-Back
Team Supported: Darlington

Fans Radio

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:07 am

471 listeners yesterday, anyone know how many listeners tune in for the home games?

Darlo_Pete

Re: Fans Radio

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:53 am

I would imagine it would be lower. I've seen up to nearly a 1000 people listening for some away games.

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:23 am

So for home games it could be taking 100 to 200 off the gate? At £14 a head over the season this must be costing the club £20k to £30k a season?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:28 am

Darlo-and-Back wrote:So for home games it could be taking 100 to 200 off the gate? At £14 a head over the season this must be costing the club £20k to £30k a season?
I don't think it would take that many off the gate, its also made many exiles keep their interest up and probably brought a lot of money into the club that way.

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:54 am

My point still stands, 100 off the gate every game is £1,400 per game across say 30 home games is £40k per season.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:57 am

You have no facts to say it takes 100 off the gate, average income per person is only about £9/£10, we probably only play 23 home games at best. Keeping exiles in touch brings in 25k a year (made it up just like your figures)

Other than that I think you nailed it and have a very good point, we should immediately cancel home match radio commentary.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Darlo-and-Back wrote:My point still stands, 100 off the gate every game is £1,400 per game across say 30 home games is £40k per season.
Do you really think that if you could go to a match you would choose to listen rather than go?

If you are local, and are able to go but choose not to then I'd hazard a guess that you wouldn't be bothered to tune in to the match and would just choose goal updates from your phone app of choice.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:29 pm

Have to agree you would be lucky if 10 people thought oh I won`t go to the match today I`ll just stop in and listen to it.
Where it comes into it`s own is for away matches most people can`t get to.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:29 pm

shawry wrote:
Darlo-and-Back wrote:My point still stands, 100 off the gate every game is £1,400 per game across say 30 home games is £40k per season.
Do you really think that if you could go to a match you would choose to listen rather than go?

If you are local, and are able to go but choose not to then I'd hazard a guess that you wouldn't be bothered to tune in to the match and would just choose goal updates from your phone app of choice.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
This. Fans radio is a huge asset for exiles like myself. The guys who run it and devote their time do a great job. In addition you normally see our fans radio link posted on the opposition forums when we play to allow any of their fans to listen. And there are normally good comments around the commentators stayin fairly unbiased.

ron-harbertson-hero

Post by ron-harbertson-hero » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Darlo-and-Back wrote:So for home games it could be taking 100 to 200 off the gate? At £14 a head over the season this must be costing the club £20k to £30k a season?
As a long distance fan who has put in excess of £1000 into the club over the last 5 years I am amazed that someone should think that home games should not be broadcast. Darlo Fans Radio is a great way of developing the club. Without it I certainly would not feel that I was sharing in the club's development. I have been a Quakers fan for over 60 years and in that time have never felt as connected to the club as I do since DFR came on the scene. Long may it continue.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Absolutely agree brilliant service. When we can get to games we do!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:12 pm

Yes it would be a very sad day if this service was removed. Many exiles keep in touch with the club through our radio broadcasts.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Just to add - I’d say probably around half of the visiting teams have their own coverage in this league either through their club or local BBC radio, so anyone who wanted to choose to stay at home to listen would be able to most of the time in any case.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:41 pm

I would never ever think of staying home to listen to the commentary never ever , I must admit I've never listened to the commentary and probably never will.. Personal preference

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:43 pm

m62exile wrote:Just to add - I’d say probably around half of the visiting teams have their own coverage in this league either through their club or local BBC radio, so anyone who wanted to choose to stay at home to listen would be able to most of the time in any case.
Correct.

Anyone spuriously attempting to link the success of Darlo Fans Radio and attendance is utterly misguided.

Using media effectively to allow exiled, or unavailable, fans to feel connected will drive memberships of DFCSG and the fund raising drives, which clearly is working.

footifan

Post by footifan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:43 am

ron-harbertson-hero wrote:
As a long distance fan who has put in excess of £1000 into the club over the last 5 years I am amazed that someone should think that home games should not be broadcast. Darlo Fans Radio is a great way of developing the club. Without it I certainly would not feel that I was sharing in the club's development. I have been a Quakers fan for over 60 years and in that time have never felt as connected to the club as I do since DFR came on the scene. Long may it continue.

Totally agree, as an exile it is wonderful service... Surely the idea to not have it is a wind up... Or pure stupidity

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:31 am

What a marvellous service these lads provide absolutely brilliant if you cannot make a match, keep up the good broadcasting gents very much appreciated. :thumbup:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:19 am

The radio service is brilliant and helps keep everyone connected, allowing fans to interact as much or as little as they want through the online messaging. Some of the fans comments are quite revealing, whilst the lads usually have a more informed insight to what is happening with the club, hence even more interesting.

As for knocking £££'s off the gates at home matches, there is absolutely no evidence for that. In fact, I have seen some people at BM listening in to the match. There is no analysis of who is listening in and as others have pointed out, exiled fans are made to feel part of the fanbase and have contributed cash to the cause. My feeling (for that is all it can be, given the lack of data analysis as evidence) is that it actually brings in more to the club than any adverse effect on the gates.

Which brings me to the final point, perhaps the lads should think of doing adverts and generating some income, first of all to cover their costs and then returning any surplus to the club. The National League officials have already cottoned onto the value of the YouTube videos and clamped down on when we can show the highlights. There should be some income from YouTube which is proportional to the number of views. Just hope the twats from the FA don't decide they are losing copyright revenue and start charging the guys for some broadcasting rights.

Thanks to all the lads who are giving up their time and efforts to keep us all in touch. Great job, please keep it going :clap:

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:55 am

Getting some revenue into the club thru the radio broadcasts must be worth looking at. On the basis of no hard evidence whatsoever I would think the great majority of listeners to home games are us exiles so a local Darlo firm might not be too keen to put adverts in. More home based fans presumably listen to away games so there may be some scope there. Not sure about traditional adverts as such throughout the broadcast but we get sponsors for matches and balls so maybe we could have radio sponsors.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:56 am

According to twitter DFR is sponsored by Tempest Jones

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:27 am

its a brilliant free service and as an exile myself I tune in when I can. The social media on offer now is miles better than when we were a league 2 club with a supposed rich backer

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:05 pm

al_quaker wrote:According to twitter DFR is sponsored by Tempest Jones
Thanks for the info. Nice to know they are being sponsored.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:53 pm

I read some comments from stockport fans after the recent game and they were saying how professional they thought the commentary was.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Commentary is unmatched to any other clubs our level I've ever listened into. Living in Manchester I can't come to all the games so their service is invaluable. I look forward to hearing the commentary, better than hitting refresh on twitter.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:20 pm

JamesDarlo wrote:Commentary is unmatched to any other clubs our level I've ever listened into. Living in Manchester I can't come to all the games so their service is invaluable. I look forward to hearing the commentary, better than hitting refresh on twitter.
Well said the closest to our boys has been Salford.

RonJeremy
Team Supported: Darlington, Man Utd.

Post by RonJeremy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:26 pm

I don’t go to the games anymore for personal reasons so without it I’d probably lose interest completely, I’d imaging I’m not the only one either.