Investment

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Investment

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:03 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
H1987 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
sada8022 wrote:I don't get this about the mystery pipe , most towns are build upon pipes why is this one so special you cannot build on it, its not like we are building the shard which is built over bigger pipes.
This has already been covered. It is the entrance to the Bat Cave.
Can't we just go full Bane and lock him down there in the tunnels. Although he did blow up a stadium to do it....

It is a bit mad. There must be a process where we could try again, and if Northumbria water moan again, then make our case to the council. There absolutely must be other far more substantial structures built over the thing in other places, and the stands are tiny anyway (and, i would imagine, wouldn't completely block access as the seated bit looks like it could be moved if we wanted to from the existing structure, it's the foundations and roof that are the more substantial bit).
I'm assuming you know where the pipe intersects, both behind the goal and on the side next to the current seated stand?

Ok so let's say you stood in front of the club house and looked at the pitch.... if you move the pitch (so just re do the pitch lines) roughly 20 yards to the right, then the pipe intersects the corners... this means we can not only build the full width behind the opposite goal, it means we can build on the rest of that side where the seated stand is up towards the tin shed, AND, the club house will then sit more in one corner, which will give us about 30 yards of space where the away turnstiles are....all this would require would be some ground work behind the open end/away end, moving the fence back etc... with the tin shed it may be that making it deeper would work or worst case, moving it up... but that wouldn't cost as much as we have the structure, it would just be groundwork and moving it... if you look on google maps you will see that this won't take out any rugby pitches, so the RFC shouldn't have any objections. Thereby your pipe problem isn't a problem anymore... :D
Blimey if the pitch was moved any further from the tinshed end, I'd need to take binoculars to see the game.
Haha, yeah ok so we would probably have to move the shed up...

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:19 am

If the pitch was moved and I doubt that'll happen, you'd have to demolish the tinshed and start again, probably with a bigger tinshed.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:24 am

Pipe

divas

Post by divas » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:31 am

Looks more like 40/50 yards to me if moved to the right.

Would make more sense moving it away from the club house

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:42 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:If the pitch was moved and I doubt that'll happen, you'd have to demolish the tinshed and start again, probably with a bigger tinshed.
You wouldn't have to demolish it, just re-erect it further up

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:44 am

divas wrote:Looks more like 40/50 yards to me if moved to the right.

Problem with that is that rugby pitch at the bottom is their seconds pitch, they played on it on Saturday...

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:45 am

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
divas wrote:Looks more like 40/50 yards to me if moved to the right.

Problem with that is that rugby pitch at the bottom is their seconds pitch, they played on it on Saturday...
Would also mean moving the seated stands as well...

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:46 am

Moving the pitch would be phenomenally expensive though, unfortunately. It maybe should have been considered when we moved in originally (although i think the larger mistake is not making the tinshed a few steps deeper).

I did, a while back, draw up how much you could fit in on an aerial diagram of the pipe. You do get around 70% across the open end, which isn't bad (It helps in this respect that the stands are actually a distance from the pitch area at BM). I think the best way to go, to fit most in, is to probably develop an L shaped area with a corner, stretching from the existing seats to the pipe behind the goal. So take the seats all the way to the end and loop around the corner, then terracing behind the open end as far as to the pipe we could go. It could all be the same height / shape stand so looks reasonably tidy. It'd also provide more shelter from the elements if the corner were filled in, and hopefully keep some atmosphere in. Obviously we're talking way down the line here. Taking the seats further and into the corner would probably add around another 250. :thumbup:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:15 am

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
Ok so let's say you stood in front of the club house and looked at the pitch.... if you move the pitch (so just re do the pitch lines) roughly 20 yards to the right, then the pipe intersects the corners... this means we can not only build the full width behind the opposite goal, it means we can build on the rest of that side where the seated stand is up towards the tin shed, AND, the club house will then sit more in one corner, which will give us about 30 yards of space where the away turnstiles are....all this would require would be some ground work behind the open end/away end, moving the fence back etc... with the tin shed it may be that making it deeper would work or worst case, moving it up... but that wouldn't cost as much as we have the structure, it would just be groundwork and moving it... if you look on google maps you will see that this won't take out any rugby pitches, so the RFC shouldn't have any objections. Thereby your pipe problem isn't a problem anymore... :D
Yeah, we'll "just" move the shed up. Just like that. And rip the pitch fence out and re-site it. And them "just" move the open end back etc etc. And re-site the pitch fence at the other end. And dig that great mound up. And move the external fence back. What a bodge job that would be.

I know you think it'll be dead easy and dead cheap but how much do you think it will cost and who pays for it?.

The edge of the pipe exclusion zone is just before the half way line (that's why the stand ends there) and it's 15m wide. As it's approx 50m to the half way line from the tin shed, you'd have to move the pitch about 35m to get the pipe exclusion zone in the corner. To move it 10m, 20m would be pointless. You might as well just leave it as it is and put approx 35m of terracing (or seating!) from the tin shed towards the halfway line, leaving the 15m gap between the two. Yes I know it will look stupid, but it is what it is.

By the way, if the diagrams are right, we could have a terrace approx 2/3rds width at the open end, but if it's set back a few more metres from the pitch I reckon you could get it nearly full width with the pipe being on a diagonal.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:20 am

Quakerz wrote: By the way, if the diagrams are right, we could have a terrace approx 2/3rds width at the open end, but if it's set back a few more metres from the pitch I reckon you could get it nearly full width with the pipe being on a diagonal.
Oh please no - the gap at that end feels colossus as it is. It needs to be as close to the pitch as possible, even if we lose a bit of width. It'll look ridiculous, but BM will always look ridiculous unless the pipe is moved. I think that setting the stand back even further from the pitch at the end will just end up creating a stand which offers a terrible view of the game.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:22 am

Heres the diagram guys (this is based on a 500 seat stand but only 5 rows deep, the existing ones are six right? Which makes me think the probably don't stretch quite as far? Happy to be corrected, but the existing one doesn't 'feel' as wide as it looks on the diagram)

http://www.darlofc.co.uk/images/darling ... -plans.pdf

You could comfortably fit a stand the size of the 500 seats at the open end (but make it terracing, so maybe that'd hold around 800?) and then maybe another 200 seats by going all the way to the end and filling in the corner, if they went to make the L shape (which i think is probably the best move). You could fit a very small terrace at the corner of the tinshed, it wouldn't add a lot. The angle on the pipe is clearly more beneficial behind the goal, but more problematic on the sideline.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:25 am

al_quaker wrote:
Quakerz wrote: By the way, if the diagrams are right, we could have a terrace approx 2/3rds width at the open end, but if it's set back a few more metres from the pitch I reckon you could get it nearly full width with the pipe being on a diagonal.
Oh please no - the gap at that end feels colossus as it is. It needs to be as close to the pitch as possible, even if we lose a bit of width. It'll look ridiculous, but BM will always look ridiculous unless the pipe is moved. I think that setting the stand back even further from the pitch at the end will just end up creating a stand which offers a terrible view of the game.
Any stand they build will be the same distance from the pitch as the tinshed is. They need to keep the paved area at the front for access. It's good in a sense it gives us more to work with, but yes, it's crap we're already quite far from the pitch. I can't see the rugby club letting us shorten their pitch, but also building forwards towards the pipe would be nuts. If we made the L shape i'm on about, i can see how you get a 4,000 ground with about 700 seats. The next step after that would be the tricky one of course, but that'd be enough to get us into the national league with the L set up. We'd have a couple of years to get it up to 5,000 total capacity and 1,000 seats. At which point, you'd have to do something with the clubhouse side.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:32 am

H1987 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Any stand they build will be the same distance from the pitch as the tinshed is. They need to keep the paved area at the front for access. It's good in a sense it gives us more to work with, but yes, it's crap we're already quite far from the pitch. I can't see the rugby club letting us shorten their pitch, but also building forwards towards the pipe would be nuts.
I was referring to Quakerz suggestion re setting the stand back even further from the pitch in order to be able to build along nearly the full length behind the goal, not shortening the run off areas (as much as I'd love us to be able to :lol: ) as then I doubt it'd be big enough for rugby.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:33 am

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:If the pitch was moved and I doubt that'll happen, you'd have to demolish the tinshed and start again, probably with a bigger tinshed.
how do you move it without demolishing it and rebuilding t?

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:38 am

spen666 wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
Just the word "demolishing" I had visions of a wrecking ball going at it :lol:

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:38 am

Can we fill around the corner where the new seated stand will be? I don't think we can as there is an entrance / exit to the playing fields there.

After reviewing the council documents, and looking at the water-pipe and it's easement, there is around 65% of the open end to develop (but this would equate to about 80% of the length of the football pitch). Plus also the opportunity to terrace from the pitch perimiter fencing (in the corner of the tin-shed) up to the 6m easement. Would add 200 or so on to the capacity however any works would require the re-location of the flood-light that stands in front of it to make it a fully effective development.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:43 am

H1987 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Any stand they build will be the same distance from the pitch as the tinshed is. They need to keep the paved area at the front for access. It's good in a sense it gives us more to work with, but yes, it's crap we're already quite far from the pitch. I can't see the rugby club letting us shorten their pitch, but also building forwards towards the pipe would be nuts. If we made the L shape i'm on about, i can see how you get a 4,000 ground with about 700 seats. The next step after that would be the tricky one of course, but that'd be enough to get us into the national league with the L set up. We'd have a couple of years to get it up to 5,000 total capacity and 1,000 seats. At which point, you'd have to do something with the clubhouse side.
We're not going to be able to go around the corner with straight seating decks.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:45 am

I can't see why the exit would be an issue. As with corners in most stadiums, you probably leave a small walkway. (although with stands this small, it might be that the front area with the yellow hashes painted on is considered sufficient access anyway). There's also plenty of room behind the stands before you get to the perimeter fence for access for vehicles.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:46 am

Quakerz wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
Yeah, we'll "just" move the shed up. Just like that. And rip the pitch fence out and re-site it. And them "just" move the open end back etc etc. And re-site the pitch fence at the other end. And dig that great mound up. And move the external fence back. What a bodge job that would be.

I know you think it'll be dead easy and dead cheap but how much do you think it will cost and who pays for it?.

The edge of the pipe exclusion zone is just before the half way line (that's why the stand ends there) and it's 15m wide. As it's approx 50m to the half way line from the tin shed, you'd have to move the pitch about 35m to get the pipe exclusion zone in the corner. To move it 10m, 20m would be pointless. You might as well just leave it as it is and put approx 35m of terracing (or seating!) from the tin shed towards the halfway line, leaving the 15m gap between the two. Yes I know it will look stupid, but it is what it is.

By the way, if the diagrams are right, we could have a terrace approx 2/3rds width at the open end, but if it's set back a few more metres from the pitch I reckon you could get it nearly full width with the pipe being on a diagonal.
You make ripping out a fence and flattening a mound sound like building a sky scraper... the shed would be the only majorly expensive bit...

How much would it cost? I don't know... who pays for it? The fans of course...

If we put a terrace at the open end, how are we going to have enough seats for a football league capacity ground? We would need to demonstrate that we can increase to 1,000 seats... so what are we saying? Double the rows in the current seats? Doesn't that involve moving the stands back twice as far?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:49 am

Most obvious, and cheapest way to develop the ground past 4000 is to terrace from the tin shed to the pipe, and terrace as much of the open end as possible.

I would add that the open end terrace needs to be more than 8 steps as that might not quite get us to 4,000 with it only being around 2/3rds pitch width.

12 steps minimum at the open end I'd say, but then what do I know?

If you get the right type of terracing at the open end, you could potentially convert it to seating later - but again that loses capacity. So I reckon we'd need to go well past 4,000 capacity, so we can lose a bit if we ever convert that end to seats. So 16 step terrace it is then, lol.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:50 am

Quakerz wrote:
H1987 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
We're not going to be able to go around the corner with straight seating decks.
You don't say :lol: Obviously it's not a perfectly square L, but definitely doable. Either that or you add a little more seating (maybe 100 more) and the corner is terracing along with the end, as being concrete it may be easier (cheaper) that way. Either way, we should utilise the corner to get the most out of it. We're very limited beyond this 'L' area.

Swans - the issue with 'moving' stands is building new foundations and tearing up the pitch. It'd be very expensive. The foundations for the second half of this seated stand just cost us just shy of 40k didn't they? It'd be a good whack more for the tinshed.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:54 am

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:

You make ripping out a fence and flattening a mound sound like building a sky scraper... the shed would be the only majorly expensive bit...

How much would it cost? I don't know... who pays for it? The fans of course...

If we put a terrace at the open end, how are we going to have enough seats for a football league capacity ground? We would need to demonstrate that we can increase to 1,000 seats... so what are we saying? Double the rows in the current seats? Doesn't that involve moving the stands back twice as far?
To be honest, the seated stands should have been designed with more rows in the first place, with one eye on the future.

It could be argued that the same should have been done for the tin shed, 12 steps instead of 8.

The problem is that would have escalated initial build costs, and the move might not have happened.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:03 am

All these suggestions being thrown about open up one of my long term worries for the football club - spending a lot of hard raised money at BM for it to be ultimately not fit for purpose if we ever fluke our way back into the FL. I'd feel a lot happier if some provisional architectural plans were there to show how BM would look as a FL standard ground, if it's possible, even if it was a 10/20 year plan. Even knowing that the rugby club aren't provisionally against something as drastic as knocking the clubhouse down and building a proper stand there would provide reassurances to me. Or does it come back to Johnston's comments when he first came in about the club having it's own ground?

I know it's an incredibly long shot we make it back there, but we have to be working towards that goal. I feel we can stabilise as a bottom half conference team under fan ownership, given time and suitable development. But then we're only 1 good season away from the FL again - you only have to finish just inside the top 3rd of teams to have a shot at promotion. And to be denied that for ground reasons would be infinitely worse than last season.

Just thinking out loud really, and almost definitly getting beyond myself :lol: . I'm aware that BM is the only realistic option we have, unless we consign ourselves to years of conference north football as a maximum while we try and raise the money for our own place. It just boils down to my fundamental concern with BM- we could spend a lot of money there, but may have to start again from scratch again in the not too distant future - if we progress beyond expectations and we can't get a FL ground at BM, or if the rugby club don't need us anymore in 19 years time when our pitch rental agreement is up.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:04 am

SwansQuaker83 wrote: If we put a terrace at the open end, how are we going to have enough seats for a football league capacity ground? We would need to demonstrate that we can increase to 1,000 seats... so what are we saying? Double the rows in the current seats? Doesn't that involve moving the stands back twice as far?
Where does it say we have to demonstrate we can increase to 1,000? You can get promotion to the FL with 500 seats and 4,000 capacity and have until March the following year to increase to 1,000 seats and then a couple of years to get to 2,000

Whilst it might seem short sighed I'm far more concerned about having a ground that will allow us to play at the level above which will probably be our natural level anyway. In the event of promotion to the FL we'd have a £1 million windfall and whilst not spending it on the playing budget would spell certain relegation it would give us the chance to make some serious ground improvements if used solely for the purpose. We'd also receive parachute payments in the next season(s)

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:08 am

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
spen666 wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
Exactly, people on here are talking as though stands and terracing can be moved at minimal cost, like that's going to happen.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:10 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
spen666 wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
Exactly, people on here are talking as though stands and terracing can be moved at minimal cost, like that's going to happen.
So what's the solution?

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:14 am

divas wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote: If we put a terrace at the open end, how are we going to have enough seats for a football league capacity ground? We would need to demonstrate that we can increase to 1,000 seats... so what are we saying? Double the rows in the current seats? Doesn't that involve moving the stands back twice as far?
Where does it say we have to demonstrate we can increase to 1,000? You can get promotion to the FL with 500 seats and 4,000 capacity and have until March the following year to increase to 1,000 seats and then a couple of years to get to 2,000

Whilst it might seem short sighed I'm far more concerned about having a ground that will allow us to play at the level above which will probably be our natural level anyway. In the event of promotion to the FL we'd have a £1 million windfall and whilst not spending it on the playing budget would spell certain relegation it would give us the chance to make some serious ground improvements if used solely for the purpose. We'd also receive parachute payments in the next season(s)
http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk ... nd-seating

Regarding moving the pitch, I'm not saying we do that at any point until we were to get to the FL....

I don't believe the NL is our natural level...

divas

Post by divas » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:29 am

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
divas wrote:

http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk ... nd-seating

Regarding moving the pitch, I'm not saying we do that at any point until we were to get to the FL....

I don't believe the NL is our natural level...
You should probably refer to the latest FA version.

http://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom-n ... ashx?la=en

I'm presuming you regard the Football League as our natural level then?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:35 am

divas wrote:

My understanding is that you need 500 seats + 4000 capacity and a Cat A grading by the 31st March following promotion to enter the NL - but you have to have 1,000/4000 within 2 years.

If we ever got promoted to the FL we might have to Dial A for the Arena.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:43 am

anyway we digress.

are we all happy for Ted Forster to invest in the club? Has he got your new number Darlo_Pete?