DFCSG AGM

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

wizardofos
Team Supported: Darlington

DFCSG AGM

Post by wizardofos » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:23 am

Just had notice of the AGM and associated documents.
Good to see that there are more applicants than vacancies for the Board, and some quality candidates at that.
Highly encouraging.

Spyman

Re: DFCSG AGM

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:31 am

wizardofos wrote:Just had notice of the AGM and associated documents.
Good to see that there are more applicants than vacancies for the Board, and some quality candidates at that.
Highly encouraging.
By email? I've not had anything through.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:48 am

Spyman wrote:
Highly encouraging.
By email? I've not had anything through.
Yeah email. Came through about half eight this morning.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:50 am

Emails are sent in batches so some will receive earlier than others

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Highly encouraging.
Was thinking the same when I saw my email, hopefully all can be involved in some way

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Looking forwards to receiving my email for full details, but it's great that there are more candidates than board places available. The SG seems to be going from strength to strength, which is good news for the club as a whole.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:33 pm

Haven't yet recieved an e-mail, am I missing something?

divas

Post by divas » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:35 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Haven't yet recieved an e-mail, am I missing something?

Yes, an email by the sounds of it....

Second batch will be coming today - the email client has a 500 per day limit. I imagine once all emails are sent it'll be uploaded to the DFCSG website.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:46 am

At the risk of repeating yourself.....!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Very interesting reading the proposals from the candidates. Some excellent skills sets on show. A few mentions of a 5 year plan including improving the infrastructure of BM. Once the latest people are voted on then I'm hoping that by March time we'll have out in the open the 5 year plan, both business and infrastructure, hopefully about the time we receive play-off ground grading.

A couple of people also make veiled references to certain previous employees who did not support the fan-owned model. Having read this I certainly feel a lot better about recent happenings.

Anyone on here connected to the DFCSG know if I'm allowed to send a proxy to attend the AGM as I'm holed up in deepest Lincolnshire?

divas

Post by divas » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Very interesting reading the proposals from the candidates. Some excellent skills sets on show. A few mentions of a 5 year plan including improving the infrastructure of BM. Once the latest people are voted on then I'm hoping that by March time we'll have out in the open the 5 year plan, both business and infrastructure, hopefully about the time we receive play-off ground grading.

A couple of people also make veiled references to certain previous employees who did not support the fan-owned model. Having read this I certainly feel a lot better about recent happenings.

Anyone on here connected to the DFCSG know if I'm allowed to send a proxy to attend the AGM as I'm holed up in deepest Lincolnshire?

You can either appoint a proxy to vote on your behalf (usually the chair) and either choose your own candidates or vote the same as your proxy.

Email membership@darlingtonfc.org

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:57 pm

I've just read the manifestos and they are very strong across the board - there will be some good candidates missing out one way or another.

Something that wasn't clear from the email - there are six places up for grabs. Do members vote for one candidate, or six?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:43 pm

Spyman wrote:I've just read the manifestos and they are very strong across the board - there will be some good candidates missing out one way or another.

Something that wasn't clear from the email - there are six places up for grabs. Do members vote for one candidate, or six?
You will vote for six

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:37 pm

divas wrote:
Spyman wrote:I've just read the manifestos and they are very strong across the board - there will be some good candidates missing out one way or another.

You will vote for six
Thanks - that makes it (slightly) easier, but still not an easy task.

As said by the OP, hopefully those that aren't elected can still find a way to contribute their talents and time to the cause in another way.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:16 pm

Highly encouraging.
I agree there are some excellent applicants. My only disappointment is there appear to be no female applicants, despite the fact we have many female supporters who probably have the skills DFCSG are looking for. Not sure why none have come forward I guess it is just circumstances.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:38 pm

bga wrote:
Highly encouraging.
I agree there are some excellent applicants. My only disappointment is there appear to be no female applicants, despite the fact we have many female supporters who probably have the skills DFCSG are looking for. Not sure why none have come forward I guess it is just circumstances.
We do have 3 female DFCSG Board Members who are not standing down and will still be involved.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:47 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
bga wrote:
Highly encouraging.
We do have 3 female DFCSG Board Members who are not standing down and will still be involved.
Thanks that should ensure we have a good balance if you get my drift!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:52 pm

bga wrote:
bga wrote:
Highly encouraging.
Couldnt care less what sex they are, as long as they are good at what they do then thats all that counts.
If we start going down the route of quotas then it will only mean we could miss out on a better candidate.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:58 pm

loan_star wrote:
bga wrote:
bga wrote:
Highly encouraging.
Couldnt care less what sex they are, as long as they are good at what they do then thats all that counts.
If we start going down the route of quotas then it will only mean we could miss out on a better candidate.
Of course not - but equally it's proven that having a minimum 30% female population on 'boards' improves their effectiveness (assuming those women have the relevant skill-set and knowledge of course).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:22 pm

This is the current board. DFCSG
The Board Members of Darlington FC Supporters Group are as follows:
Neil Raper (Secretary) -
Joanne Cameron (Vice Chair) - hospitality
Rob Duncan - fundraising/publicity
John Bell - strategy
Glen Bowes - travel
Andrew Matthews - accounts/media/fundraising
Teresa Black - retail
Sue Connor (Lottery Organiser) -
Lynn Jasper (Quaker Retail) -
Chris Stockdale (Co-opted onto the board in 2017) i
Community share pitches/strategy/data analysis

I guess a key consideration in the choice of personnel is identifying where there may be a skills gap . I've added what I think the relevant skills are for some members where it was blank based on activities. Ive probs undersold a few people. So many functions that need to be covered . Perhaps commercial/advertising, strategy and communication and media are functions that need board representation. But I'm no great expert on the balance. Obviously engineering and ground as well. So for example somebody who could sell advertising would be a plus for me. With a strong candidature, i guess skills rather than personalities becomes the defining mode. How you prioritise skills is anybody's guess.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Plenty of women board members, but falling short on our ethnic diversity quota though.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:16 am

princes town wrote:This is the current board. DFCSG
Neil Raper (Secretary) -
John Bell - strategy
Glen Bowes - travel
Teresa Black - retail

I guess a key consideration in the choice of personnel is identifying where there may be a skills gap . I've added what I think the relevant skills are for some members where it was blank based on activities. Ive probs undersold a few people. So many functions that need to be covered . Perhaps commercial/advertising, strategy and communication and media are functions that need board representation. But I'm no great expert on the balance. Obviously engineering and ground as well. So for example somebody who could sell advertising would be a plus for me. With a strong candidature, i guess skills rather than personalities becomes the defining mode. How you prioritise skills is anybody's guess.
Depends what you see the function of the board - personally I would have thought a lot is co-ordination & leadership as opposed to subject matter knowledge. Have you put Glen as 'travel' because he sorts out the supporters bus?

divas

Post by divas » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:52 am

princes town wrote:This is the current board. DFCSG
Neil Raper (Secretary) -
John Bell - strategy
Glen Bowes - travel
Teresa Black - retail

Sounds more like the structure of a football club board than a Supporters Group but I can see why you've gone down that route as there's no reason why members of the DFCSG board could feasibly hold those positions within the FC. However my personal opinion is that joining the DFCSG board should not be done so in order to volunteer for the Club - feasibly you should be able to do that without being on any board. I personally believe that the DFCSG has struggled in the past due to many board members already holding positions within the day to day running of FC and therefore they're limited with how they can impact and support the group.

The DFCSG has itself key tasks which take a tremendous amount of work from the board members without overlapping into the core FC roles such as marketing/commercial etc. The following were the 3 pillars we identified and objectivised:

• strategy & governance
• fundraising
• community engagement

Those 3 pillars are huge on their own and are the bedrock of a successful Club in my opinion. If the new board members can build on the foundations laid over the past 18 months and influence the football club board in agreeing on the future direction of the club that should then allow the correct management structure and roles to be put in place within the football club - many of which you mention. This was/is incredibly difficult against the constant noise and distraction of ownership debate and constant emergency fundraising to fill budget gaps.

It's my belief that only when this is in place will we know whether we have the ability to further grow the business and progress through the leagues.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:14 am

Received email from DFCSG - upshot is we now will vote for 7 new directors. It says:

'There has been a change of circumstances since the notifications were sent out. In view of the quality of the nominations received for the vacancies for the DFCSG board, current board member Sue Connor, after reading the manifestos of the candidates, has taken a very noble decision to resign from her position on the board because she feels that she wouldn’t want to take the place of someone that could contribute more than she feels able to do. Sue would therefore prefer to allow someone suitable to take her place and help move the club forward.

The remaining DFCSG board members would like to thank Sue for the contribution that she has made during her time on the board. It has been a pleasure working with her. The excellent news is that Sue is happy to continue running the fans lottery (which makes a very important contribution to club funds) and will also help out with other duties as and when she can.

Appointment of Directors
A consequence of Sue’s resignation is that members will now be asked to vote for up to seven candidates for the DFCSG board at the AGM on 16th November. '

Great gesture by Sue - as divas said there are many ways to volunteer without being a board member.

The email also gives more details on the mechanism for proxy voting for those of us who cannot attend.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Great to see the lottery doing do well looking at the accounts. Massive to Sue Connor.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:53 pm

If you are a member please try and attend tonight, new board members and some existing ones are up for election, starts at 7.45 at BM

Fans Lottery Admin

Post by Fans Lottery Admin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:00 pm

princes town wrote:Great to see the lottery doing do well looking at the accounts. Massive to Sue Connor.
Very nice of you to say - thank you!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:43 pm

Any know which board members have now been elected? :clap:

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:19 am

John Bell, Andrew Matthews, David Collinge, Chris Stockdale, Tony Waters, Malcolm Cundick and Lee Kilcran
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

bga

Post by bga » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:15 am

Just to add the Board did add they would look to use the expertise of the unsuccessful candidates as well. A very positive AGM with many individuals who clearly feel passionately about Darlo and the way forward. Thanks everyone.