Blyth V Darlington FC match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

tdk1
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blyth V Darlington FC match thread

Post by tdk1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:30 pm

divas wrote:
tdk1 wrote:I'd say we need a centre back and a strong centre forward as a matter of urgency, and have for some time. I'm very uncertain about Burgess, and what the crack is with Mendes I have no idea. He's clearly at the club, he was on one of the videos this week, so why isn't he close to the first team?

I'd imagine the obvious answer is because he's nowhere near good/fit enough
I suspect you're right

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Burgess is on the bench and Vaulks is somewhere. If Burgess is fit why isn't he playing and if he's not fit, put Vaulks on the bench instead.

Those picking the team obviously think that Galbraith is a better central defender than the two natural born alternatives, at least for now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Spyman on Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Well, these are some of the problems that our new management will have to get to grips with. They can't be insuperable problems.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:36 pm

I feel it went Pete tong when Collins went off at HT TBH..

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:42 pm

At Nuneaton it felt like Collins was running the defence by himself. He's looking excellent, but needs some help.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:09 pm

Sadly it seemed to go downhill once Collins went off today, Marrs & Galbraith were both good. Scott done what you would expect, decent enough but always going to lose out at times especially playing one of the form teams in the league. Burgess sadly just seems to bring very little these days, no pace and positioning doesn't seem great.

We aren't really a million miles away to be honest, just a couple of key changes and a boost in confidence. I didn't think Blyth were anything amazing, just had pace in attack & a bit of quality from Dale, defensively they were not that great.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:35 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Sadly it seemed to go downhill once Collins went off today, Marrs & Galbraith were both good. Scott done what you would expect, decent enough but always going to lose out at times especially playing one of the form teams in the league. Burgess sadly just seems to bring very little these days, no pace and positioning doesn't seem great.

We aren't really a million miles away to be honest, just a couple of key changes and a boost in confidence. I didn't think Blyth were anything amazing, just had pace in attack & a bit of quality from Dale, defensively they were not that great.
Agree with all of that but I will say they will concede 1 or 2 but will always score 1 more especially at home I'd predict playoffs for them.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Agree Blyth play open attacking football hence played 16, won 10 drew 0 lost 6 in the league. It seems all out for the win, which they did today. In terms of scoring a lot but letting lots in then they are a little similar to us last season.

Looks like Spenny and Blyth may make the play offs this year, both in position at the moment and seem to get enough winning results.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Blyth had that little extra going forwards, which was the main difference today. Pace and width caused us problems. Gillies and Thompson are both talented footballers, but neither player is a traditional winger, which is something we sometimes miss - it will help when we can get Galbraith back at LB, who will give us a bit more width. We really could do with an extra option up front, whether that's Beck or a new signing.

I felt a bit sorry for Scott - up against a very good player. He did very well in the 1st half, but got found out a bit in the second half. Still a useful player for us to have in the squad, but he's not a LB. Hopefully Brown will be back next week, and Collins injury isn't too serious. I wouldn't want to throw Vaulks in against the better sides in this league.

Overall, it was quite a decent game. Terrible conditions but both sides went about it in a watchable way.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:21 pm

Great following from Darlo, who sang throughout the game, even when we were 3-1 down. We were deservedly in front at half time, but saw Collins pick up a slight injury a few minutes before half time, looked like a slight hamstring injury. After that we seemed to be literally all at sea defensively, but going forward we looked like we'd score a few more. Strange that all 4 goals were scored playing into a very strong wind.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:28 pm

Thought the reception Jameson got from the Darlo fans at the start of the second half and at full-time was brilliant and well deserved.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:15 pm

When I saw Vaulks I was impressed as he seems confident and competent. If Burgess is fit why isn't he playing instead of sitting on the bench? I'm not the manager and they see them in training but I'm struggling to understand these issues so how about Ray asking the questions?

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:01 am

Collins got nobbled by one of their forwards (Dale?) with a very rash challenge from behind. Game turned on this moment in my opinion.
Scott did better than some commentators give him credit for. At times he was trying to mark their right full back and right winger because Thompson (as usual) had disappeared somewhere else.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:15 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:When I saw Vaulks I was impressed as he seems confident and competent. If Burgess is fit why isn't he playing instead of sitting on the bench? I'm not the manager and they see them in training but I'm struggling to understand these issues so how about Ray asking the questions?
Why is it always Ray who gets stick?

He works for the club so is going to put out the club line. That's no surprise.

Craig Stoddart on the other hand......
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:24 am

Yeh I don't think you can fault Ray Simpson, always had the club at heart. Perhaps being involved with the club, may slightly hinder him in asking awkward questions.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:25 am

What was the total crowd yesterday, I couldn't hear it properly when it was announced.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:34 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:What was the total crowd yesterday, I couldn't hear it properly when it was announced.
Off twatter:

Blyth Spartans‏Verified account @Blyth_Spartans

Today’s attendance at Croft Park was 1,554, with 1,051 coming through the Spartans turnstiles.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:00 am

Thanks for that, excellent following from Darlo, easily out sang the home support.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:16 am

Edit !
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am

I'm not sure how you equate that with giving Ray stick? I'm just suggesting questions like is "Kevin fully fit?" "Some fans feel vaulks has played well, is he injured?" Would be helpful to know.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:59 am

I think it was mentioned on the official site that Vaulks and Mendes could feature for the Reserves yesterday.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:02 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:When I saw Vaulks I was impressed as he seems confident and competent. If Burgess is fit why isn't he playing instead of sitting on the bench? I'm not the manager and they see them in training but I'm struggling to understand these issues so how about Ray asking the questions?
As promising as Vaulks looked against Leamington he was also out of position an awful lot too. He was needing to be directed by Bartlett and the other defenders a lot, and this was against a team with next to zero attacking threat for most of the game. This doesn't take away from the potential he has, but I feel that it'd be too soon for him against some of the better attacks in the league. I presume he's not involved because Brown, Turnbull and now Wright feel the same way.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:48 am

Now is the time for Tommy W to make changes to the squad. Agree with previous posts that we need to shore up defence and cover for Collins if he is seriously injured. When he went off, we seemed to lose concentration and conceded some sloppy goals. Perhaps as TW is not bringing any emotional luggage in terms of sticking with players who made past promotions possible, now is the time to clear out those without the necessary to play at this level and above. Time to bring in youngsters like Saunders, Vaulks & Wheatley else call in some old favours and get in someone on loan, especially if our injury list keeps growing and no sign of the mythical Paulo Mendes ;)

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:02 am

In theory, that's what we need. In practice, many players are on 2 year deals.

Beano

Blyth V Darlington FC match thread

Post by Beano » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:25 am

I do fear that we are going to struggle to move on players we would like to replace and Tommy is going to have to get the best out of what we have until contracts finish, or players are happy to leave via mutual consent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Beano on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:26 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:I'm not sure how you equate that with giving Ray stick? I'm just suggesting questions like is "Kevin fully fit?" "Some fans feel vaulks has played well, is he injured?" Would be helpful to know.
I'm not saying you were giving him stick. Generally though it's always "Why isn't Ray asking the difficult questions?" Any criticism questions being too soft gets directed towards Ray when actually he works for the club.

But the independent Craig Stoddart seemingly gets a free ride.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:I'm not sure how you equate that with giving Ray stick? I'm just suggesting questions like is "Kevin fully fit?" "Some fans feel vaulks has played well, is he injured?" Would be helpful to know.
I'm not saying you were giving him stick. Generally though it's always "Why isn't Ray asking the difficult questions?" Any criticism questions being too soft gets directed towards Ray when actually he works for the club.

We have seen before how Gray reacted to difficult questions. He becomes very rude and does not answer the question asked.
I have spoken to him myself and seen first hand how he react. (when helping clear the HP pitch of water)
It would not have done Craig Stoddart or anyone else any favours if difficult questions
were asked, indipendant or not

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

We have seen before how Gray reacted to difficult questions. He becomes very rude and does not answer the question asked.
I have spoken to him myself and seen first hand how he reacts. (when helping clear the HP pitch of water)
It would not have done Craig Stoddart or anyone else any favours if difficult questions
were asked, indipendant or not

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:05 pm

Beano wrote:I do fear that we are going to struggle to move on players we would like to replace and Tommy is going to have to get the best out of what we have until contracts finish, or players are happy to leave via mutual consent.

I don't quite agree. Looking back I don't seem to remember any player over the past 5 years that we have had trouble offloading even if they weren't great for us or hadn't played that many games. Wearmouth, Jordan Watson both spring to mind. With the Northern League having fairly heavy clout financially I think lots of teams would be in a position to take players off our hands. Add to that they're not bad players, we have simply gone above a level at which they could effectively operate.

For me as others have said above we are a few players away from being able to challenge for the final Playoff place. Looking at our squad of 20:

GK: Bartlett, Wilcynski.
Probably our strongest area of the squad. We won the lottery when Bartlett decided to stay with us and not join York and in Wilcynski we have an able understudy.

DEF: Hunter, Marrs, Brown, Galbraith, Burgess, Collins, Vaulks.
Hunter is out for the mid to long term with injury. Collins has looked a decent signing. Marrs has started to rediscover his form. Galbraith is a good LB and okay to cover a few games a CB if needed. Brown has his qualities and can cover RB. Burgess, I'm sorry, he was great in the Evo-Stik but i genuinely can't remember the last time he had a good game. Needs to be moved on. He was our captain up until recently surely that would free up some decent wages. As for Vaulks I'm glad we're making signings for the future but truth is he needs to be playing and learning. If he's not ready for this level yet then there must be a club we can look to loan him out to, to get valuable game time. He won't develop sat on the bench. If we move Burgess out we need to find a good solid CB someone who can win their headers in the air (never been a problem with Burgess) but is also positionally disciplined and wont get sucked into the play in midfield.

MID: Gillies, Syers, Thompson, Turnbull, Scott, Portas, Wheatley, Caton.
We have some great riches at CM. Turnbull is a great captain for this side and with Portas, Wheatley and Syers to choose from we have players who really can play a good brand of football (with Scott there to add a bit of metal when we need to see games out). On the wings Gillies is still a player who can change a game with a bit of magic and one we need to keep. On the other side Thompson seems to lost a little it of his swager. Don't know if the level is catching up with him, but he still scored 7 or 8 goals last season and is a useful asset. Caton just doesn't seem to do anything for us. Unfortunately if he doesn't improve he will need to be moved on and a replacement found.

STR: Beck, Cartman, Saunders.
We all know what we get from Carts and I think most would like to see him stay and involved in the first team. He is a good option is good with the ball at his feet and always gives defenders something to think about. Beck well I'm a fan and if we can get him fit and back into last seasons form then he will be a huge asset both on the pitch but off it too because if York and Mr Gray come back from him we want a decent fee. Saunders is young and raw but definitely an exiting prospect. But i don't think he currently has the goals credentials to merit a starting place. Think we're one player light here aswell and someone of the mode between Cartman and Beck. Someone mobile enough and willing to get around the pitch but also with a bit of physical presence and height in the box to give the wide players something to aim for.

Based on the above i think we're a CB, Wide player and CF away from being able to properly compete with the top 10. I do think as well we really need to investigate the loan routes for players. With Newcastle, Boro, Sunderland, Leeds, Pools, Gateshead and Guiseley all fairly close by there must be players sat out of the matchday squad or in the reserves or youth categories who would benefit from playing competitive first team football.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:47 pm

JE93 wrote:
Beano wrote:I do fear that we are going to struggle to move on players we would like to replace and Tommy is going to have to get the best out of what we have until contracts finish, or players are happy to leave via mutual consent.

I don't quite agree. Looking back I don't seem to remember any player over the past 5 years that we have had trouble offloading even if they weren't great for us or hadn't played that many games. Wearmouth, Jordan Watson both spring to mind. With the Northern League having fairly heavy clout financially I think lots of teams would be in a position to take players off our hands. Add to that they're not bad players, we have simply gone above a level at which they could effectively operate.

For me as others have said above we are a few players away from being able to challenge for the final Playoff place. Looking at our squad of 20:

GK: Bartlett, Wilcynski.
Probably our strongest area of the squad. We won the lottery when Bartlett decided to stay with us and not join York and in Wilcynski we have an able understudy.

DEF: Hunter, Marrs, Brown, Galbraith, Burgess, Collins, Vaulks.
Hunter is out for the mid to long term with injury. Collins has looked a decent signing. Marrs has started to rediscover his form. Galbraith is a good LB and okay to cover a few games a CB if needed. Brown has his qualities and can cover RB. Burgess, I'm sorry, he was great in the Evo-Stik but i genuinely can't remember the last time he had a good game. Needs to be moved on. He was our captain up until recently surely that would free up some decent wages. As for Vaulks I'm glad we're making signings for the future but truth is he needs to be playing and learning. If he's not ready for this level yet then there must be a club we can look to loan him out to, to get valuable game time. He won't develop sat on the bench. If we move Burgess out we need to find a good solid CB someone who can win their headers in the air (never been a problem with Burgess) but is also positionally disciplined and wont get sucked into the play in midfield.

MID: Gillies, Syers, Thompson, Turnbull, Scott, Portas, Wheatley, Caton.
We have some great riches at CM. Turnbull is a great captain for this side and with Portas, Wheatley and Syers to choose from we have players who really can play a good brand of football (with Scott there to add a bit of metal when we need to see games out). On the wings Gillies is still a player who can change a game with a bit of magic and one we need to keep. On the other side Thompson seems to lost a little it of his swager. Don't know if the level is catching up with him, but he still scored 7 or 8 goals last season and is a useful asset. Caton just doesn't seem to do anything for us. Unfortunately if he doesn't improve he will need to be moved on and a replacement found.

STR: Beck, Cartman, Saunders.
We all know what we get from Carts and I think most would like to see him stay and involved in the first team. He is a good option is good with the ball at his feet and always gives defenders something to think about. Beck well I'm a fan and if we can get him fit and back into last seasons form then he will be a huge asset both on the pitch but off it too because if York and Mr Gray come back from him we want a decent fee. Saunders is young and raw but definitely an exiting prospect. But i don't think he currently has the goals credentials to merit a starting place. Think we're one player light here aswell and someone of the mode between Cartman and Beck. Someone mobile enough and willing to get around the pitch but also with a bit of physical presence and height in the box to give the wide players something to aim for.

Based on the above i think we're a CB, Wide player and CF away from being able to properly compete with the top 10. I do think as well we really need to investigate the loan routes for players. With Newcastle, Boro, Sunderland, Leeds, Pools, Gateshead and Guiseley all fairly close by there must be players sat out of the matchday squad or in the reserves or youth categories who would benefit from playing competitive first team football.
I'd imagine it is far easier to offload part time players in a part time league than it is to offload full time players in a part time league.

I don't see why moving on the likes of Burgess and Caton would be that hard. There would surely be takers in the evostick for both.

That said, Caton started the season well by all accounts so maybe he deserves a fresh chance under new management.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC