Darlington v Brackley Town

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlo reborn
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Brackley Town

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Thought given the results lately 1200 was not bad can only see it dropping if things don`t improve
Think TW is still assessing the players and will know now how big a task he`s got

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:50 pm

3 of our better players and arguably most pivotal players are either out injured or left in Brown, Ferguson & Beck. This has resulted in us going backwards and now we have no confidence, defenders are under constant pressure, midfield seem to neither get forward or largely help the defence and the forwards mainly Cartman is fighting a lone battle upfront.

We clearly need a CB in (Brown), Galbraith to LB, a winger who can battle maybe some height (Wearmouth would have been an option) and a bigger physical striker (Beck or someone else).

Wright has got a lot of work to do at the moment and we are certainly in a transitional stage, losing today isn't the issue, dropping points against the bottom ten will cause us problems.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Quakerz wrote:
tdk1 wrote:We definitely need a couple of signings, and it's maybe time to ship a couple out who if we're honest can't really handle this level.
How are we going to ship anyone out. The only way they can go is down to the Northern League but our players are on contracts on good money

How are we going to afford signings on gates of 1,200? This must be way lower than budgeted for, I don't think anyone would have seen that coming.
All the teams below us (despite the fact they may have to play each other) have one or two games in hand on us, so we ARE in the Relegation mix like it or not, that is the reality based on current form. What really worries me is IF we get relegated do the players get the same wages, (which we would then clearly not be able to afford) or have we been sensible enough to put a clause in contracts that says wages can be reviewed by the club, if we go down a division? It worries me that this may not have been included bearing in mind we have either been promoted or stayed the same in the last 5 and a bit years.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:31 pm

Radar wrote:Time for TW to now stand up and be counted. It's about results, pressure is now on.
Despite what Darlo_Pete, Darlofan97 etc etc said at the start of the season, there's very little pressure on the pitch and we don't need immediate results.

It's about building a solid base. That's all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:37 pm

A solid base in which division though ?

bga

Post by bga » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Spyman wrote:
Radar wrote:Time for TW to now stand up and be counted. It's about results, pressure is now on.
Despite what Darlo_Pete, Darlofan97 etc etc said at the start of the season, there's very little pressure on the pitch and we don't need immediate results.

Would you care to tell us how many points we need to avoid being relegated? We need immediate results because crowds (hence income) are falling, and we are in danger of being caught by the teams below us! I agree we need a solid base but we have to ensure this is in NLN first.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:00 pm

It would be an absolute disaster if we went down. Probably 46 points is enough for survival in this league. At the moment I admit I do feel worried, and I don't think it's an overreaction.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:01 pm

bga wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Would you care to tell us how many points we need to avoid being relegated? We need immediate results because crowds (hence income) are falling, and we are in danger of being caught by the teams below us! I agree we need a solid base but we have to ensure this is in NLN first.
What happens if we don't get immediate results because it's likely we won't?

We need to look at the situation we are in, the squad depth is poor hence why we have a few out and one left that we are now struggling. Wright and White need to target some key incomings because without it confidence/form will drop even further if possible.

We need a settled defence without players playing out of position, a presence up front and something more from our wide men, good luck with that Tommy/Alan.

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:04 pm

Well beaten today by a team superior all over the pitch ...

...just to add insult to injury I had the misfortune of being near a bellend from Brackley for most of the match. This Side Show Bob look-a-like was hugely irritating... I obviously could of moved but I like my usual 'spot' at the open end.

12 points from the last 15 league games is a worrying run of form

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:07 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:It would be an absolute disaster if we went down. Probably 46 points is enough for survival in this league. At the moment I admit I do feel worried, and I don't think it's an overreaction.
Barring some players coming in or back then we will be in a relegation battle with the current 16 we are using. Things need to change in the squad but that's not a simple thing to do with players on contracts and not lots of money left over.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:22 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:We need a settled defence without players playing out of position, a presence up front and something more from our wide men, good luck with that Tommy/Alan.
Cartman's a good lad and all that, but this level of football is too much for him. His super fans in the Tinshed are living in the past.

super_les_mcjannet wrote: Barring some players coming in or back then we will be in a relegation battle with the current 16 we are using. Things need to change in the squad but that's not a simple thing to do with players on contracts and not lots of money left over.
We need 2 or 3 good new players and Brown and Beck playing again. I feel that the board will simply have to make money available otherwise we could well face a serious relegation battle. The Ferguson money (a bonus after all) should be used for this purpose. It's money that has come out of the squad (profit if you like) and should be put back in.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:30 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote: The Ferguson money (a bonus after all) should be used for this purpose. It's money that has come out of the squad (profit if you like) and should be put back in.
The Ferguson money goes towards the rolling debt that we thought we had dealt with last forum but the club decided to run with it to provide Gray the budget to spend on Collins, Caton, Wheatley & lock down Beck on a long well paid contract.

We do need to make some changes though somehow, if possible we need to avoid being pulled into a relegation battle but I wouldn't bet against that currently.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:36 pm

al_quaker wrote:We're missing Beck so so much - he's the one striker we've got who's a handful for defenders at this level. Both Gillies and Thompson love to drift inside - Beck gives them the second balls to work off, and they do that very well. But they're not wingers. A front 4 of Cartman Gillies Caton and Thompson offers no width or height (and very little pace for that matter). I thought Caton was the best of a very ineffective bunch today - at least he tried to beat his man occasionally, although he too turned back on himself too often.

We need some pace and or/height in the team to have any chance of creating chances. Strange why Syers wasn't playing, or even that he didn't come on. He's our biggest goal threat currently, and at least offers some sort of presence up front.

Saying all that, Brackley were a very good side - the best I've seen this season. They were simply better than us in defence and better than us in attack. However, saying that, we gifted them their 1st goal with, I counted, 5 individual mistakes. Their second looked like a clear foul on Thompson. Their 3rd was a good goal to be fair.

People today were saying we're in for a relegation fight - if we get Beck back (and playing like last season) we'll be fine. If not, or he gets sold, then we're in for a real struggle if we don't replace him. We struggle to create and we are prone to gifting the opposition goals. Not a good combination.

Poor crowd too.
No! the crowd was not poor, the people who decided not to come was poor!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:40 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote: The Ferguson money (a bonus after all) should be used for this purpose. It's money that has come out of the squad (profit if you like) and should be put back in.
The Ferguson money goes towards the rolling debt that we thought we had dealt with last forum but the club decided to run with it to provide Gray the budget to spend on Collins, Caton, Wheatley & lock down Beck on a long well paid contract.

We do need to make some changes though somehow, if possible we need to avoid being pulled into a relegation battle but I wouldn't bet against that currently.
Hmmm. Could your first paragraph be taken to read? 'We were prepared to let M.G. overspend but not T.W, he has to work with our best player gone and not being allowed to spend the proceeds'.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:44 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:No! the crowd was not poor, the people who decided not to come was poor!
I thought the crowd was OK. Good compared to a lot of our competitors in this league.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:51 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:No! the crowd was not poor, the people who decided not to come was poor!
I thought the crowd was OK. Good compared to a lot of our competitors in this league.
But not compared to the hole in the budget our smaller than planned for crowds will leave.

Stop being so naive.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:54 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:

Hmmm. Could your first paragraph be taken to read? 'We were prepared to let M.G. overspend but not T.W, he has to work with our best player gone and not being allowed to spend the proceeds'.
I guess that view may be challenged as we drop deeper into trouble. I think Wright has some room to manoeuvre but with the crowds dropping this will make it more unlikely we would want to give him the Ferguson cash as well.

We need to do something though, you could sense Wright is fully aware on his interview today, he mentioned he needs Beck back but realistically he is 2/3 weeks away.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
al_quaker wrote:We're missing Beck so so much - he's the one striker we've got who's a handful for defenders at this level. Both Gillies and Thompson love to drift inside - Beck gives them the second balls to work off, and they do that very well. But they're not wingers. A front 4 of Cartman Gillies Caton and Thompson offers no width or height (and very little pace for that matter). I thought Caton was the best of a very ineffective bunch today - at least he tried to beat his man occasionally, although he too turned back on himself too often.

We need some pace and or/height in the team to have any chance of creating chances. Strange why Syers wasn't playing, or even that he didn't come on. He's our biggest goal threat currently, and at least offers some sort of presence up front.

Saying all that, Brackley were a very good side - the best I've seen this season. They were simply better than us in defence and better than us in attack. However, saying that, we gifted them their 1st goal with, I counted, 5 individual mistakes. Their second looked like a clear foul on Thompson. Their 3rd was a good goal to be fair.

People today were saying we're in for a relegation fight - if we get Beck back (and playing like last season) we'll be fine. If not, or he gets sold, then we're in for a real struggle if we don't replace him. We struggle to create and we are prone to gifting the opposition goals. Not a good combination.

Poor crowd too.
Who knew? Having a crap team playing badly and losing matches discourages fans.

Still, I'm sure berating those who didn't pay £14 to watch us playing terribly will win them back.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:17 pm

Never mind bringing in new players... today we didn't make the best of what we have in terms of tactics and selection.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:49 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:We need a settled defence without players playing out of position, a presence up front and something more from our wide men, good luck with that Tommy/Alan.
Cartman's a good lad and all that, but this level of football is too much for him. His super fans in the Tinshed are living in the past.

super_les_mcjannet wrote: Barring some players coming in or back then we will be in a relegation battle with the current 16 we are using. Things need to change in the squad but that's not a simple thing to do with players on contracts and not lots of money left over.
We need 2 or 3 good new players and Brown and Beck playing again. I feel that the board will simply have to make money available otherwise we could well face a serious relegation battle. The Ferguson money (a bonus after all) should be used for this purpose. It's money that has come out of the squad (profit if you like) and should be put back in.
Well fucking said about Cartmans super fans been saying this all season... Totally agree good lad but NOT up to this level as with a few others

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:31 am

I think Cartman is finding this level too good for him and I van't understand the love affair that seems to exist between Cartman and elements of the tinshed.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:44 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I think Cartman is finding this level too good for him and I van't understand the love affair that seems to exist between Cartman and elements of the tinshed.
Why don't you start booing the players Pete like you did against South Shields,no need for comments like this, as Tommy said we are missing physical players like Hunter, Brown and Beck and the squad is stretched.Get behind the lads for gods sake.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
You know what I mean

But if you're going to be like that, now you mention it there was absolutely zero atmosphere yesterday, even before it was clear we were second best. And don't get me started on the booing and chants of 'you don't know what you're doing' from a section of the Tinshed when Wright had the temerity to substitute the completely ineffective Cartman

feethamslad

Post by feethamslad » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:06 am

What a contrast to the same game last season.

It's often said that by standing still you go backards when everyone else is improving and I can't help but feel that this is the current case with Darlo.

Our team is basically the same as last season (and possibly the season before when we were playing at a lower level), and are not playing as well as they did then! Other teams in the League seem to have improved their squads and tactics such that unless things change we're going to be mid to lower table for the forseeable future.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:36 am

Darlogramps wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
But not compared to the hole in the budget our smaller than planned for crowds will leave.

Stop being so naive.
We are currently 5th in the attendance table with an average of 1542. The point I was making was that in relation to the league we are in, our attendances are OK.

What we choose to set our budget at is another question.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:54 am

Spyman wrote:

Have you looked at the league table?

I said before Gray went we could end up in a relegation battle, and we will.

A solid base is consolidating our position in our current league and that needs a sufficiently strong squad to do so.

Having a ground up to the standards required for the National League play-offs is pretty pointless if we are playing in the Northern Premier League.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:01 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I think Cartman is finding this level too good for him and I van't understand the love affair that seems to exist between Cartman and elements of the tinshed.
Why don't you start booing the players Pete like you did against South Shields,no need for comments like this, as Tommy said we are missing physical players like Hunter, Brown and Beck and the squad is stretched.Get behind the lads for gods sake.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
I did get behind the players, but I can't understand the crowds love for Cartman, he is ineffective and if we bring in strikers and or Beck returns, I wouldn't expect he'll keep his place in the starting 11.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Was a MoM announced, or was it considered inappropriate in the circumstances?

divas

Post by divas » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Cartman is doing as well as a 5' 6" striker will do when having to lead the line on his own. He's not a player that usually makes something happen himself like a Gaskell for instance. If TW insists on playing 1 up front and the wingers narrow then he's ineffective and doesn't have a future here. If our playing style suits him then he can still be an asset.

If the only way to bring someone in with a bit of presence was to sell Cartman on then that's what has to be done for the good of the football club. Do I want him to go - no as I think as part of 3/4 man striking option he has his place but if it's the only option we have then you'd have to let him go and bring in someone suited to the way we have to play to become effective again.

I'm sure there will be some unpopular decisions having to be made in terms of tweaking the squad soon. We may have to move players on who many would like to keep simply because they are the only ones who we can move on in order to rectify the unbalanced squad. It's ok saying let X,Y,Z go because they're not performing but if they're not performing and have relatively high wages it's difficult to move them on.

We're paying a heavy price for

1) Gray building a team around a striker that has been injured since the beginning of the season

2) Gray Signing an unproven winger to play up front rather than a proper forward. Think he must have thought he was Wenger bringing Henry in for a moment.

Make no mistake we have the finances to compete at the top end of the division but the money needs to be spent wisely. Once you've made a few cock-ups and signed part-time players on full time wages on 2 year deals you then make it very difficult for yourself when there is a finite budget.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Thinking about it a bit more if TW wants to stick to the 4-5-1 he favours then I see no reason why you couldn't play Cartman as the most advanced of the 3 central midfielders where Caton played yesterday initially. A big man up front (Syers until Beck is fit) and Cartman coming from deeper may give us more joy. Cartman defends from the front and often nicks possession back but it's no good doing that if you're the only forward.