Darlington V Tamworth Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tamworth Match Thread

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:46 pm

During the entire first half, the only serious save the keeper had to make was a header that went straight to him. For large stretches of the second half he had very little to do even though we had a fair bit of possession around the area. We didn't carry enough threat. I don't think a free-kick hitting the top of the bar and a header blocked on the line was good enough really over the course of 90 minutes at home. Maybe on top of that the keeper made one or two more fairly routine saves but that was about it. Their defence was fairly comfortable for the most part.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Thought we played well, but no end product. Trotman looked very good and must have been close to MOTM. Mills had some good touches.We badly missed having a recognised frontman.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:02 pm

Thought our lineup looked odd with too many attacking midfielder.Thommo,Gillies,Syers,Caton and Mills was one too many IMO and would have liked Portas in the team.3 points thrown away against a poor side, must admit to getting more than worried now but other than no cutting edge whatsoever, I thought we played OK.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:11 pm

To be fair, I thought that we played fairly well this afternoon and we would have been unlucky to come away with just a point, let alone nothing.

It's frustrating - yes. However the new signings have given us a lift. The new formation looked decent, and you feel with a proper centre forward at the tip of it in Styche we can go up another gear.

Thompson was excellent today.

I have every confidence that this will get turned around with the addition of Styche and possibly one more.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:48 pm

We'll need to start showing signs of turning this around soon because we've won just two league games out of the last 17 and the games coming up include Harrogate and Salford, who have both lost just two games all season.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:50 pm

Strange how we all look a these games differently.
I personally thought that we played some good football today and enjoyed it for the first time for a while, with players like Thompson back to playing positive football (not something I have not seen for a while). While we did not look decisive in the box, build up was good and defence looked solid until the drift of concentration for the goal ( throw from Brown to our new winger only needed to be returned to Brown and he was away free but ball lost and as usual every mistake we make gives a goal).
There were far more opportunities than the save by their keeper, (who to be honest was very good position wise), and the free kick that hit the bar, for example Syres run through where there player tapped his leg, (if he had gone over that should have been a penalty - but doubt that ref would have given it ), he stayed on his feet and blasted over, Thompson blasted over too.
We have hard games ahead and confidence must be low, but I thought decent game with some good players on the bench or to return from suspension, (Turnbull).
I am fairly confident now for the season ahead and believe Tommy and Alan will build an excellent team once they assess the best formation and team for us to play.

"up the Quakers".

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:10 am

There wouldn't be many teams at any level that would send so many defenders up for a throw-in in that position, including a centre back taking the throw-in. Any opposition with counter-attacking capabilities can't quite believe their luck. It's naive in the extreme and quite basic stuff.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:32 am

LoidLucan wrote:We'll need to start showing signs of turning this around soon because we've won just two league games out of the last 17 and the games coming up include Harrogate and Salford, who have both lost just two games all season.
I agree - we need to stick at it and be understanding. Wright & White have inherited a squad low on confidence, and arguably 3 of our best players (barring only Turnbull) have been sold.

The problem is that Gray has blew winnable matches against the likes of Telford, Leamington, North Ferriby, Southport, Curzon Ashton etc.

What I saw today was progress, and the team looked much better than what we have previously seen.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:58 am

I think it's fair to say that it's time to realise it's all about survival between now and April. Based on our current form and immediate fixtures I don't think expectation should be any higher - 2 wins in 17 is atrocious form (almost as bad as our last FL season, 2009/10)!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:09 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:I think it's fair to say that it's time to realise it's all about survival between now and April. Based on our current form and immediate fixtures I don't think expectation should be any higher - 2 wins in 17 is atrocious form (almost as bad as our last FL season, 2009/10)!
Totally agree we just need to survive in this league this season but don't forget next seasons budget will be cut, so we are going to need more fans through the turnstiles because yesterday's was the 2nd lowest of the season... Tough times ahead but not all doom and gloom plenty of points to play for

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:19 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:I think it's fair to say that it's time to realise it's all about survival between now and April. Based on our current form and immediate fixtures I don't think expectation should be any higher - 2 wins in 17 is atrocious form (almost as bad as our last FL season, 2009/10)!
Totally agree we just need to survive in this league this season but don't forget next seasons budget will be cut, so we are going to need more fans through the turnstiles because yesterday's was the 2nd lowest of the season... Tough times ahead but not all doom and gloom plenty of points to play for
You can't expect fans to turn up, when the side is struggling. Crowds will only start to improve if and when our performances and in particular our results start to improve.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:37 am

Darlofan97 wrote:I agree - we need to stick at it and be understanding. Wright & White have inherited a squad low on confidence, and arguably 3 of our best players (barring only Turnbull) have been sold.

The problem is that Gray has blew winnable matches against the likes of Telford, Leamington, North Ferriby, Southport, Curzon Ashton etc.

What I saw today was progress, and the team looked much better than what we have previously seen.
Gray's head was full of the following; frustration, nights out with Singh, £££££, anger from the play off situation, telephone calls with YCFC, inability to bring in expensive new players, preparation of a fans forum speech - the list goes on, however we really should have done better in the games listed above. As written above, this plays a large part in our present position.

I believe we won't see many (if any) points until the end of January, then we will start to crawl back up the league.

I also feel we are too good to go down, a tough run of fixtures and events have nobbled us.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:24 am

In the second half, I stood near to the home dugout. White certainly hasn't lost his fiery nature, as he was swearing at the ref when he came within earshot of him about the decisions he was making and then he certainly bit when a Telford fan was having a go at him. I thought White was going to come over and smash him. It's great that Whitey shows so much passion for the club, but he's got to learn to curb the fiery side of his nature.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:21 am

What was the crowd? Sorry cant see it anywhere.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:27 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:In the second half, I stood near to the home dugout. White certainly hasn't lost his fiery nature, as he was swearing at the ref when he came within earshot of him about the decisions he was making and then he certainly bit when a Telford fan was having a go at him. I thought White was going to come over and smash him. It's great that Whitey shows so much passion for the club, but he's got to learn to curb the fiery side of his nature.
'but he's got to learn to curb the fiery side of his nature'

Good luck with that :lol:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:31 am

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:What was the crowd? Sorry cant see it anywhere.
1246 according to the Bananarame website.
Last edited by biccynana on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:a Telford fan was having a go at him.
Telford must be poor to watch if he travelled all the way to Darlo to support Tamworth.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:36 am

Telford/Tamworth/Tottingham/Torquay - it matters not.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:39 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Telford/Tamworth/Tottingham/Torquay - it matters not.
Hehehe, "in de cup for Tottingham”.

Ask your dad, kids.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:54 am

Or even your grandad?

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:50 am

I went for the first time in a while yesterday and thought we dominated the first half without creating any clear cut chances. Then second half, while Tamworth came into the game a bit more, it defo was a smash and grab from them - one clear chance one goal. We had a clear chance towards the end and it was blazed above row Z to the roof of the tin shed. I am feeling positive about the management team - think we need to give Wright plenty of time to get his own squad together. I have said this before, but are we really ready (off the pitch) to go up yet? I don't think so - let Wright get the squad together for a promotion push next season.
Oh and another comment, compared to Tamworth we were really small - think we need a big lad up front - even if its from the bench in the second half when we need to go a bit more direct.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:00 pm

They 'smashed and grabbed' at York too.

I was expecting it TBH.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:02 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I went for the first time in a while yesterday and thought we dominated the first half without creating any clear cut chances. Then second half, while Tamworth came into the game a bit more, it defo was a smash and grab from them - one clear chance one goal. We had a clear chance towards the end and it was blazed above row Z to the roof of the tin shed. I am feeling positive about the management team - think we need to give Wright plenty of time to get his own squad together. I have said this before, but are we really ready (off the pitch) to go up yet? I don't think so - let Wright get the squad together for a promotion push next season.
Oh and another comment, compared to Tamworth we were really small - think we need a big lad up front - even if its from the bench in the second half when we need to go a bit more direct.
Yea we had loads of Browns long throws going in but I don’t think we won the first header, would of liked to of seen Heaton come for the last 10 minuets just to try and mix it up a bit up front

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:27 pm

biccynana wrote:
Thanks, hoped for more

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:40 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
biccynana wrote:
Thanks, hoped for more
Why? We are on an unbelievably s*** run...

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:05 pm

biccynana wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:a Telford fan was having a go at him.
Telford must be poor to watch if he travelled all the way to Darlo to support Tamworth.
Sorry got the first letter right at least. :D

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:52 pm

AndyPark wrote:
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
biccynana wrote:
Thanks, hoped for more
Thought last weeks fightback and new signings might have helped a little. Think its the hard core at the moment.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Still better than many teams in the league above.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:49 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Or even your grandad?
Maybe you’re right. It is 36 years ago after all. Jeez, that makes me feel old.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
biccynana wrote:
Thanks, hoped for more
Thought last weeks fightback and new signings might have helped a little. Think its the hard core at the moment.
I'm affraid that's where we are at and it were always gonna be I'm affriad... People are deluded on here thinking we could get 2000/2500 most games... What was the average out of town at HP??? Cos when we moved back to the town they were gonna flock back cos they didn't have to travel the extra 14 miles to SUPPORT there team..