The squad

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

The squad

Post by JE93 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:27 pm

Well since we've had a few comings and goings since the start of the season thought it might be interesting to re-look at the squad picture.

Current first team squad:

GK: Wilczynski

DEF: Hunter, Marrs, Brown, Galbraith, Burgess, Collins, Heaton, Vaulks, Trotman.

MID: Gillies, Syers, Thompson, Turnbull, Scott, Portas, Wheatley, Mills, Caton.

FWD: Styche, Saunders.

moved on since start of season: Richards, Bartlett, Fenwick, Cartman, Beck, Ferguson, Mendes, Wearmouth.

For me I still think there are a couple of opportunities to move players on if we can find clubs for them. Burgess can move on. Can't see him playing for the club again. Similarly with Marrs a decent player at this level but if Trotman is 1st choice at RB or RWB then Hunter and Brown can both play right back as cover. It's and luxury we don't need and cant afford.

It could be said we look short up front. But if we're only going to play one striker then I'm happy enough with Syers and Saunders as back up to Styche. It will hopefully give Saunders the game time to develop as a player and see what potential he has. Similarly in goal. But I want to see what Ed can do when given a run of games, bring in a keeper who will actually play when we need one. Until then there's just no need to spend that money.

It really would be interesting to know what we are spending playing squadwise pre and post sales of players. Think DJ was right. It's about using the money we do have a lot more wisely and perhaps using the loan market and nearby big clubs to replenish the squad when injuries hit.
Last edited by JE93 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quakerste

Re: The squad

Post by quakerste » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Ferguson is no longer with us.

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:11 pm

I was speaking with Chris hunter before the match on Saturday, he is having his operation this week and will be touch and go if he features again this season. The op is on he tendon, to screw it back to his bone. Same op Tom portas had last season.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:27 pm

uncovered wrote:I was speaking with Chris hunter before the match on Saturday, he is having his operation this week and will be touch and go if he features again this season. The op is on he tendon, to screw it back to his bone. Same op Tom portas had last season.

We witnessed this event at Ferriby. It really looked like an opportunist kind of foul - their player appeared (to me) to manhandle him sideways to get the better of him. I don't think the ref even gave a foul.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:45 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
uncovered wrote:I was speaking with Chris hunter before the match on Saturday, he is having his operation this week and will be touch and go if he features again this season. The op is on he tendon, to screw it back to his bone. Same op Tom portas had last season.

We witnessed this event at Ferriby. It really looked like an opportunist kind of foul - their player appeared (to me) to manhandle him sideways to get the better of him. I don't think the ref even gave a foul.
Because it wasn't a foul.Chris just fell awkwardly,it happens.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:16 pm

JE93 wrote:Well since we've had a few comings and goings since the start of the season thought it might be interesting to re-look at the squad picture.

DEF: Hunter, Marrs, Brown, Galbraith, Burgess, Collins, Heaton, Vaulks, Trotman.

moved on since start of season: Richards, Bartlett, Fenwick, Cartman, Beck, Ferguson, Mendes, Wearmouth.

For me I still think there are a couple of opportunities to move players on if we can find clubs for them. Burgess can move on. Can't see him playing for the club again. Similarly with Marrs a decent player at this level but if Trotman is 1st choice at RB or RWB then Hunter and Brown can both play right back as cover. It's and luxury we don't need and cant afford.

It could be said we look short up front. But if we're only going to play one striker then I'm happy enough with Syers and Saunders as back up to Styche. It will hopefully give Saunders the game time to develop as a player and see what potential he has. Similarly in goal. But I want to see what Ed can do when given a run of games, bring in a keeper who will actually play when we need one. Until then there's just no need to spend that money.

It really would be interesting to know what we are spending playing squadwise pre and post sales of players. Think DJ was right. It's about using the money we do have a lot more wisely and perhaps using the loan market and nearby big clubs to replenish the squad when injuries hit.
Useful reminder of who we have available thanks. Had to laugh at Mendes "moved on" never really started did he! Also serious question please, what happened to that lad Millburn, didn't he and another lad have contracts, or did they just not get offered new contacts when these ran out?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:32 pm

Dale is contracted until the end of this season. Spent some time out on loan at Ryhope CW earlier this season.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 pm

Milburn is currently training with the first team

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:04 pm

divas wrote:Milburn is currently training with the first team
Tommy mentions Milburn in his interview talking about the Styche signing.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:58 pm

bga wrote:
JE93 wrote:Well since we've had a few comings and goings since the start of the season thought it might be interesting to re-look at the squad picture.

Useful reminder of who we have available thanks. Had to laugh at Mendes "moved on" never really started did he! Also serious question please, what happened to that lad Millburn, didn't he and another lad have contracts, or did they just not get offered new contacts when these ran out?
Same could be said for Ricard's, Wearmouth and Fenwick.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:33 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Dale is contracted until the end of this season. Spent some time out on loan at Ryhope CW earlier this season.
Thanks for that. Anyone know how many contracted "non 1st Team squad" players we have?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:46 am

bga wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Dale is contracted until the end of this season. Spent some time out on loan at Ryhope CW earlier this season.
Thanks for that. Anyone know how many contracted "non 1st Team squad" players we have?
Absolutely astounded that contracts were being dished out to reserve team players who were considered not ready for the first team squad.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:54 am

Did Dan Lowson sign for Darlington after being made available/ released by Spennymoor?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:02 pm

spen666 wrote:Did Dan Lowson sign for Darlington after being made available/ released by Spennymoor?
Nope, don't want him. No better than what we already have.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Spyman wrote:
bga wrote:
Absolutely astounded that contracts were being dished out to reserve team players who were considered not ready for the first team squad.
Truth is Spyman we do not know the actual financial implications if any of this. It could be a contract that only pays if the player plays in the 1st Team. I assumed Reserve team players maybe only got paid travelling expenses, but maybe some do get paid per game as well? It is murky situation, with MG gone, time for more transparency, a good question perhaps for the AGM?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:10 pm

JE93 wrote:
spen666 wrote:Did Dan Lowson sign for Darlington after being made available/ released by Spennymoor?
Nope, don't want him. No better than what we already have.

I wasn't commenting on his ability. I know people on here and The Tin Shed claimed he had signed but can't recall seeing any official announcements from either club

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Emdubya wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Because it wasn't a foul.Chris just fell awkwardly,it happens.

Ok, we'll agree to differ, I had a good view and didn't see it like that.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Spyman wrote:
bga wrote:
Think he was seen as a real prospect - you'd be annoyed if we hadn't and he went on to make another club some real money. As has been said, I doubt he get's anything unless making the match day squad.