Have we missed a trick?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Have we missed a trick?

Post by JE93 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:23 pm

With the weekend approaching, and it being a weekend where we don't have a league fixture. I can't help but think we've miss a trick.

With the fundraising target sitting just under £2k away from completion. Would the weekend not have been a good opportunity to play a public friendly on the Saturday or the Sunday depending on opponent availability? Not only would it have given us a chance to work on formations and other match prep. But if we had got 800 people payin £5 each (50:50 gate split with further revenue from bar etc, going to the home side) then we could have achieved the £2k we need to push us over the edge. I know some might say you wouldn't get that many for a friendly, but if the game had the purpose of being a fundraiser for both clubs, perhaps you could encourage a spike in attendance.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Vodka_Vic

Re: Have we missed a trick?

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:33 pm

Rugby club are at home on Saturday.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:54 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Rugby club are at home on Saturday.
Doesn't necessarily need to be at BM or on Saturday.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:46 pm

JE93 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Rugby club are at home on Saturday.
Doesn't necessarily need to be at BM or on Saturday.
How many teams are available on a Saturday? Aren’t they all in a league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:14 am

JE93 wrote:With the weekend approaching, and it being a weekend where we don't have a league fixture. I can't help but think we've miss a trick.

With the fundraising target sitting just under £2k away from completion. Would the weekend not have been a good opportunity to play a public friendly on the Saturday or the Sunday depending on opponent availability? Not only would it have given us a chance to work on formations and other match prep. But if we had got 800 people payin £5 each (50:50 gate split with further revenue from bar etc, going to the home side) then we could have achieved the £2k we need to push us over the edge. I know some might say you wouldn't get that many for a friendly, but if the game had the purpose of being a fundraiser for both clubs, perhaps you could encourage a spike in attendance.

Just my thoughts anyway.
You're a little slow on uptake here....

We've already missed two tricks by getting eliminated from both the FA Cup & FA Trophy.

Also there is a full league programme on Saturday and I can't see anyone dropping everything to come and play a training game/friendly with us, especially someone who would lure 800+ people in December.

If you want to take in a match there are plenty of games on in the local area.

Also regarding the remaining £2k, there really is no hurry.

Weather permitting we have two "high profile" home fixtures coming up against Salford and Harrogate, coupled also with the upcoming public meeting on the 11th which will no doubt aid the fundraising effort.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:59 am

the question is, are we actually making any profit from any of our homes games???

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:29 pm

In answer to OP, No.

The Equalizer

Post by The Equalizer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:34 pm

bertbanger wrote:the question is, are we actually making any profit from any of our homes games???

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:54 pm

The way the weather is good job we played that game when we did even if we did lose

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:56 pm

darlo reborn wrote:The way the weather is good job we played that game when we did even if we did lose
Totally agree... Doesn't mean we would win the rearranged fixture either if it came to it..Gives the lads an extra week if they have any niggles etc