Match threads - not what they were?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Feethams 1966
Team Supported: Darlington

Match threads - not what they were?

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:27 pm

Since I began re-attending Darlington matches in 2012 after an absence of many years, one of the delights and surprises for me was to discover the Darlo Uncovered site, and the match threads became one of the regular nail-biting sources of updates I'd go to for the very latest news in matches (that I couldn't get to) as the games progressed.
It may be that the fans radio has superceded the match threads updates but (if like me) there must be some for whom fans radio cannot be heard consistently, or some folks may not be in a place where it can be received or heard.
Just recently those who updated the match threads seem to have given up during matches; perhaps their fingers are frozen? It's much colder at BM than HP perhaps!
Yesterday's thread delivered the half time score but not the full time result or details of the goals as they occured.
I'm guessing we lost 3-2 ?
Most of the posts on the thread occur after the game had ended.
So this is just a plea for those who used to reach for their mobiles to report on the action, to (please) keep doing it!

shawry

Re: Match threads - not what they were?

Post by shawry » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:49 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:Since I began re-attending Darlington matches in 2012 after an absence of many years, one of the delights and surprises for me was to discover the Darlo Uncovered site, and the match threads became one of the regular nail-biting sources of updates I'd go to for the very latest news in matches (that I couldn't get to) as the games progressed.
It may be that the fans radio has superceded the match threads updates but (if like me) there must be some for whom fans radio cannot be heard consistently, or some folks may not be in a place where it can be received or heard.
Just recently those who updated the match threads seem to have given up during matches; perhaps their fingers are frozen? It's much colder at BM than HP perhaps!
Yesterday's thread delivered the half time score but not the full time result or details of the goals as they occured.
I'm guessing we lost 3-2 ?
Most of the posts on the thread occur after the game had ended.
So this is just a plea for those who used to reach for their mobiles to report on the action, to (please) keep doing it!
Twitter has taken over really for text based updates, many of the updates on the match threads are copied from Twitter anyway

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:56 pm

As I`m not on twitter have to agree with Feethams 1966 about live match reports not what they were. I`ts only the away matches I miss as I work till 1 on a Saturday so lately have to rely on flashscore for updates and then put them on the match thread if they are not there already

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:12 pm

I have to agree with the op. Twitter (often better if you go to the oppositions twitter) has no passion and gives no idea of what the situation is. I as an expat avidly followed the match threads and thanks for those who take the trouble to post but twitter just lets me know the score and its a further step away from actually being there. If I lived in the north and attended the games I would take great pleasure in telling the many Darlo fans worldwide what was going on. But hey its not your duty; only do it if you want to

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:06 am

I post updates on the match threads when I'm not at a game, which tends to be away games.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:15 pm

I miss the match threads too - good point F66.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:29 pm

I didn't know about Twitter but I suppose I'm of an age where I never will send tweets, do facebook, instagran or whatever.
If I can't get to a game the match threads have usually kept me up to date whether I'm ill, abroad in other countries, or just somewhere else that the wife insists I have to be.
You can get Uncovered updates on the internet all over the world in real time.
By the way, what was the final score on Friday night?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:39 pm

3 - 2 to Harrogate.

Can you get youtube? The highlights are on there.

I couldn't get there but have seen the pics on TV.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:06 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote: You can get Uncovered updates on the internet all over the world in real time.
To be fair, you can do that on twitter. Just go to https://twitter.com/Official_Darlo on a match day and tweets will appear there. You don't have to sign up.

I appreciate you may prefer match threads, and they may well have a renaissance, but twitter is probably a more reliable source of updates nowadays

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:31 pm

Yeah, thanks for that, I followed the link; that's the first time I've been on Twitter,
TBH I think what's put me off twitter is the reports of that American bloke who trumpets tweets all the time.
Couldn't get the highlights to go full size though, like You Tube does. Could be something to do with my PC set-up.
Guess I'd just got used to the match threads on the Uncovered site and didn't know there was anything else.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:03 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:By the way, what was the final score on Friday night?
Eh.. You can post on a forum but can’t search out a FT result from 2 days ago.

Jesus Christ.

AlanSprouts

Post by AlanSprouts » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:38 am

Ahh. There we have it... The reason why many don't post on this forum. Thank you Andy for your valuable addition to this thread. Rather like most of your previous 10773.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:05 am

I wouldn't have expressed it like Andy but, to be fair, he has a point. I googled "Darlington v Harrogate result" and, inevitably, got pages of results. The first on my list (sofascore.com) gave me the result - and further details. One hit further a bit further down the list (skysports) had the score in the header itself.
We are all guilty sometimes of asking questions when we can easily find out the answer ourselves, so let's knock 'silly' questions, but bear in mind other people's situations. On the other hand, it does no harm to think before asking.
Sermon over!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:39 pm

I think forums are also about engendering debate / conversation rather than posting facts. twitter is fine for factual updates - but you don't always get the 'feel' for a game that you do when we all post on here.

twitter is one directional (in terms of match updates) - a post / question on a forum such as this can lead to numerous different inputs / points of view.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:50 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Feethams 1966 wrote:By the way, what was the final score on Friday night?
Eh.. You can post on a forum but can’t search out a FT result from 2 days ago.

Jesus Christ.
Andy - that's an idiotic response, give your head a shake. Feethams is on our Darlo uncovered website, supposedly with friendly like minded people, asking a question about DFC.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Sorry I didn't mean to cause any disharmony, it was just a polite request to see if those who used to post their updates and match opinions on Uncovered might kindly continue to do so during games, for the benefit of old timers like me who perhaps aren't familiar with other platforms away from this site.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:11 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:Sorry I didn't mean to cause any disharmony, it was just a polite request to see if those who used to post their updates and match opinions on Uncovered might kindly continue to do so during games, for the benefit of old timers like me who perhaps aren't familiar with other platforms away from this site.
Not your fault Feethams66. I've stuck up for Andy on here in the past because I admired his previous money raising efforts, however his unnecessary dig at you is stupid to say the least :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:49 pm

I usually follow twitter or Craig Stoddart on twitter, for live game updates. Don't forget there's the radio updates too.

Whoever it was that didn't know the result from Friday, come on man, use your head and check the official website.... Aside from it being overwhelmingly obvious, it's also better for the club the more hits it gets.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Not everyone is techno-savvy like the yoof of today.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:24 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Not everyone is techno-savvy like the yoof of today.
You don't have to be techno-savvy experts though. And knowing how to work your way around the internet isn't just the preserve of the under 30s.

It's not difficult to check the National League website, or even the BBC and Sky Sports tend to have it.

Sometimes people need to work things out themselves rather than complaining it's not being put on a plate for them.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Dear God, I despair about some of our fans at times.

Feethams asked a simple question and all he gets in response is people jumping down his throat.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:52 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:Dear God, I despair about some of our fans at times.

Feethams asked a simple question and all he gets in response is people jumping down his throat.
I agree. This thread has pissed me off.

Feetham's asks a question, and 10 minutes later I answer that question. What's the problem? Why do people feel the need to be hostile? Or in another post clever?

This should be a friendly place for all fans to converse.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:09 pm

Gramps, I'm pretty IT literate for an old git but I was making the point that not everyone is. Some people don't have mobiles or use the Internet so really a simple "we lost 3-2" would have done the job without the unnecessary malice.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:23 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Gramps, I'm pretty IT literate for an old git but I was making the point that not everyone is. Some people don't have mobiles or use the Internet so really a simple "we lost 3-2" would have done the job without the unnecessary malice.
I'm an old git too and know my way around the internet. Given how much of life is done online nowadays, I'm always wary of someone saying they don't use the internet.

I guess I just expect people to be proactive and find things out themselves. The result will have been in plenty of papers on Saturday morning.

I think dsr has it pretty much spot on earlier in the thread. If you're able to post on here, you're surely capable of Googling the score or searching a website to find it.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:29 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
This should be a friendly place for all fans to converse.
F**k off you tedious c**t.

;) ;) ;)

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:04 am

I don't use twitter either its a load of shite

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:43 am

Times change so hopefully OP knows where to access info. Best place is DFC or DFCSG twitter but they only give facts and not opinions (no bad thing with Twitter imo) and even on here sometimes.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:16 pm

back to my post on this - I liken Feethams1966 query to that of a bloke in a pub approaching a bunch of darlo fans post match saying "what was the score lads?". Would we expect said fellow darlo fans to roll their eyes at the bloke in the pub and tell them to go buy a newspaper?

it's about chat, conversation.....nothing more in my eyes...

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:back to my post on this - I liken Feethams1966 query to that of a bloke in a pub approaching a bunch of darlo fans post match saying "what was the score lads?". Would we expect said fellow darlo fans to roll their eyes at the bloke in the pub and tell them to go buy a newspaper?
Except it's nothing like that all.

I don't think anyone is trying to be nasty to the OP. Just simply pointing out there are other ways of finding out the score, without having to rely on other people. If you can find your way around Uncovered, it's not too much of a stretch to go on the National League website.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:41 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:back to my post on this - I liken Feethams1966 query to that of a bloke in a pub approaching a bunch of darlo fans post match saying "what was the score lads?". Would we expect said fellow darlo fans to roll their eyes at the bloke in the pub and tell them to go buy a newspaper?
Except it's nothing like that all.

I don't think anyone is trying to be nasty to the OP. Just simply pointing out there are other ways of finding out the score, without having to rely on other people. If you can find your way around Uncovered, it's not too much of a stretch to go on the National League website.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
We’ll just have to disagree on this one DG. I think the OP was after a chat and asking about the score was an opening line. Sure you can google anything these days but imagine the OP tried the speaking clock and it was engaged....