Advertise Here
You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » Virtual Feethams
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:27 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: What's next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:19 pm
Posts: 121
Team Supported: Darlington
Now that the funding is in place for the seats what's next? what do we prioritise next?
A cheap fix possibly a canopy on the clubhouse might help folks that side of the ground in crap weather.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:49 am
Posts: 8
Team Supported: Darlington
Surely it has to be the open end behind the goal

Perhaps a terrace that has potential for a roof and seats to be added at a later date


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9786
Team Supported: Darlington
norwich darlo wrote:
Now that the funding is in place for the seats what's next? what do we prioritise next?
A cheap fix possibly a canopy on the clubhouse might help folks that side of the ground in crap weather.


I guess we'll find out on Monday evening at the Dolphin Centre.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:18 am
Posts: 400
Team Supported: Darlington
we could do with putting some money into the frigging team, if the ground improvements mean we are now conf prem standard


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Posts: 2247
Team Supported: Darlington
norwich darlo wrote:
Now that the funding is in place for the seats what's next? what do we prioritise next?
A cheap fix possibly a canopy on the clubhouse might help folks that side of the ground in crap weather.


Avoiding relegation.

_________________
love it! wrote:
Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:06 am
Posts: 529
Team Supported: Darlington
A move back to the Arena


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Posts: 2247
Team Supported: Darlington
shadwellman wrote:
A move back to the Arena


And almost certain liquidation.

_________________
love it! wrote:
Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm
Posts: 65
Team Supported: Darlington
Pay back any remaining debt to directors etc and put in place a rainy day fund. Need something to help smooth cashflow if we hit a run of bad weather in any season.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10958
Team Supported: Darlington
I think staying in Conf North side by side with putting some money together for more terracing would be my first priorities.

Beyond that starting to introduce some youngsters into the team more regularly and hopefully developing a gem or two to sell on.

But now that the 'essential' ground improvements are funded, it should be about putting stuff in place that gives better views of the pitch particularly when bigger crowds are in, as well as perhaps more toilets etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9786
Team Supported: Darlington
Spyman wrote:
I think staying in Conf North side by side with putting some money together for more terracing would be my first priorities.

Beyond that starting to introduce some youngsters into the team more regularly and hopefully developing a gem or two to sell on.

But now that the 'essential' ground improvements are funded, it should be about putting stuff in place that gives better views of the pitch particularly when bigger crowds are in, as well as perhaps more toilets etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


Our ground will be up to Conference standard, we need to think about investing in the team, before any further ground improvements.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10958
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
I think staying in Conf North side by side with putting some money together for more terracing would be my first priorities.

Beyond that starting to introduce some youngsters into the team more regularly and hopefully developing a gem or two to sell on.

But now that the 'essential' ground improvements are funded, it should be about putting stuff in place that gives better views of the pitch particularly when bigger crowds are in, as well as perhaps more toilets etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


Our ground will be up to Conference standard, we need to think about investing in the team, before any further ground improvements.
Where does the money to invest in the team come from?

We need to increase crowds. That will only happen if the viewing experience is decent, regardless of the results on the pitch.

2000+ will not turn up on a regular basis to look at the back of someone's head.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9786
Team Supported: Darlington
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
I think staying in Conf North side by side with putting some money together for more terracing would be my first priorities.

Beyond that starting to introduce some youngsters into the team more regularly and hopefully developing a gem or two to sell on.

But now that the 'essential' ground improvements are funded, it should be about putting stuff in place that gives better views of the pitch particularly when bigger crowds are in, as well as perhaps more toilets etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


Our ground will be up to Conference standard, we need to think about investing in the team, before any further ground improvements.
Where does the money to invest in the team come from?

We need to increase crowds. That will only happen if the viewing experience is decent, regardless of the results on the pitch.

2000+ will not turn up on a regular basis to look at the back of someone's head.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


We'll have to agree to disagree. The principal way to increase crowds is to improve what is offer on the pitch and have a winning side.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:45 pm
Posts: 149
Team Supported: Darlington
We have fans saying they won’t come because of the viewing and others not until we are winning. To enhance the viewing will cost money development of the open is the obvious choice I’d imagine this will cost several hundred thousand pounds. With a promotion FSIF money would fall in however this seems unlikely this season. So perhaps a couple of seasons of consolidation is required as the only other option is outside investment.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20572
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Our ground will be up to Conference standard


No, it won't.

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20572
Team Supported: Darlington
DarloDave40 wrote:
We have fans saying they won’t come because of the viewing and others not until we are winning. To enhance the viewing will cost money development of the open is the obvious choice I’d imagine this will cost several hundred thousand pounds. With a promotion FSIF money would fall in however this seems unlikely this season. So perhaps a couple of seasons of consolidation is required as the only other option is outside investment.


That's pretty much what will happen I would guess (unless we don't get promoted for another 3 years or so).

Developing the ground to Cat A standard will cost hundreds of thousands, and it's not just about getting the capacity over 4,000, there will be other work needed to achieve the grading - but we can't unlock further grant funding until we're in the National, therefore it's pretty obvious that work for Cat A will only be carried out then.

I've been saying for a while that we should look at terracing the main stand side between the pipe and the tin shed, as an intermediate goal. It surely won't cost that much, and will increase capacity by another 2 or 300, as well as offering a better viewing experience in more of the ground for home fans.

Whether anyone has mentioned it to anyone from the club as an idea, and whether they took any notice, I haven't got a clue.

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 881
Team Supported: Darlington
Truth is, to be fully up to conference standard we need to;
- increase capacity to 4,000
- Incorporate another 2 turnstiles
- incorporate another set of toilets

In terms of the ground most think the next step will be to develop the open end as this will give us the greatest capacity increase as it would convert current flat standing to terracing. However, would this be of the most benefit to our fans? When we have away followings that would be the away end and we wouldn't get the benefit and all our fans would be around the flat standing.

I would like to know the potential for terracing the area between the seated stand and the tin shed or know of the possibility of terracing the club house side as people seem to naturally want to stand on this side (maybe because it's close to the bar?).

The important consideration is how much it increases capacity, offers benefit to home fans and offers best value for money.

Getting up the the national unlocks another £150,000 of matched funding from FSIF so will offer some support in reaching this goal.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 3469
Team Supported: Darlington
Understand your thinking JE93 but because of the pipe, we're limited for space to develop.

That open end is ripe for developing because there's enough room down there to do something substantial. And I wonder if fully developing that side will help it feel more like home.

I'd like to see a really ambitious move and have the clubhouse knocked down with a big main stand, which could include a new clubhouse facility, built in its place. It would resolve a lot of issues around facilities and capacity at a stroke.

Of course there are obvious issues here. Mainly it's not ours to knock down so the rugby club would have to agree to it. Knocking down the clubhouse would be a lot for their members to stomach.

And of course it would cost an absolute fortune to do. Almost certainly it would require a big cash injection from somewhere.

Alas it won't happen, at least not for a very long time. But if we're talking ideas, it's a suggestion.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:43 am 
Online

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Posts: 4707
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlogramps wrote:
I'd like to see a really ambitious move and have the clubhouse knocked down with a big main stand, which could include a new clubhouse facility, built in its place. It would resolve a lot of issues around facilities and capacity at a stroke.

Of course there are obvious issues here. Mainly it's not ours to knock down so the rugby club would have to agree to it. Knocking down the clubhouse would be a lot for their members to stomach.

And of course it would cost an absolute fortune to do. Almost certainly it would require a big cash injection from somewhere.

Alas it won't happen, at least not for a very long time. But if we're talking ideas, it's a suggestion.


This was my initial thought/hope when we first moved in - a Feethams style main stand in place of the clubhouse would look great and solve a load of problems. Because of the pipe and the layout of the rest of the facility, it's the only way I can really imagine BM being a good lower league football ground (and also the most obvious way to get a FL standard ground at BM, which is something we have to aim for in the long term).

As you say, there's obvious issues regarding funding and rugby club approval, so I struggle to see how it is going to happen. But if BM is to be our long term home, I live in hope that we can agree a long term plan with the rugby club to put a proper stand in place of the clubhouse. I'd love to watch Darlo play home games in something resembling a proper football stadium again.

As to what's next - keep on working on BM to get it closer to category A standard and to improve it as a place to watch football. Improvements to the playing budget really should come from the football club increasing it's revenue in my opinion.

I'd imagine due to the costs, a terrace behind the open goal would wait until we can access the FSIF grants again, but other, smaller things can surely be worked upon. If we need more toilets (for example) to hit cat A standard, then getting them in next ticks that box, while also improving BM's capability of handling a big crowd even while in this league (or heaven forbid the league below).

_________________
https://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupportersgroup.org/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:58 pm
Posts: 719
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlogramps wrote:
Understand your thinking JE93 but because of the pipe, we're limited for space to develop.

That open end is ripe for developing because there's enough room down there to do something substantial. And I wonder if fully developing that side will help it feel more like home.

I'd like to see a really ambitious move and have the clubhouse knocked down with a big main stand, which could include a new clubhouse facility, built in its place. It would resolve a lot of issues around facilities and capacity at a stroke.

Of course there are obvious issues here. Mainly it's not ours to knock down so the rugby club would have to agree to it. Knocking down the clubhouse would be a lot for their members to stomach.

And of course it would cost an absolute fortune to do. Almost certainly it would require a big cash injection from somewhere.

Alas it won't happen, at least not for a very long time. But if we're talking ideas, it's a suggestion.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk



Maybe we could put seats in there anyway and incorporate them with the clubhouse.

_________________
We're coming home, we coming, Darlo's coming home.

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Posts: 5431
Team Supported: Darlington
I would hate to spend a load more money on a new main stand / clubhouse and the football club not get any benefit from it other than matchday activities.
If that sort of money was being spent then the current set up would not be acceptable in my opinion.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9786
Team Supported: Darlington
loan_star wrote:
I would hate to spend a load more money on a new main stand / clubhouse and the football club not get any benefit from it other than matchday activities.
If that sort of money was being spent then the current set up would not be acceptable in my opinion.


Well said Robbo. The rugby club would benefit massively from this sort of investment, with few to no cost to themselves.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 601
Team Supported: Darlington
Quakerz wrote:
DarloDave40 wrote:
We have fans saying they won’t come because of the viewing and others not until we are winning. To enhance the viewing will cost money development of the open is the obvious choice I’d imagine this will cost several hundred thousand pounds. With a promotion FSIF money would fall in however this seems unlikely this season. So perhaps a couple of seasons of consolidation is required as the only other option is outside investment.


That's pretty much what will happen I would guess (unless we don't get promoted for another 3 years or so).

Developing the ground to Cat A standard will cost hundreds of thousands, and it's not just about getting the capacity over 4,000, there will be other work needed to achieve the grading - but we can't unlock further grant funding until we're in the National, therefore it's pretty obvious that work for Cat A will only be carried out then.

I've been saying for a while that we should look at terracing the main stand side between the pipe and the tin shed, as an intermediate goal. It surely won't cost that much, and will increase capacity by another 2 or 300, as well as offering a better viewing experience in more of the ground for home fans.

Whether anyone has mentioned it to anyone from the club as an idea, and whether they took any notice, I haven't got a clue.

I would imagine it has been suggested amongst other things but they have given priority to raising the funds for the stands to be eligible for playoffs. If development fund keeps growing it might get to a point where they can set their own goal.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7543
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Well said Robbo. The rugby club would benefit massively from this sort of investment, with few to no cost to themselves.


You seem very bitter Pete. All I am bothered about is DFC getting return on investment / value for money I couldn't care less what extra benefit the rugby club get.

JE93 wrote:
However, would this be of the most benefit to our fans? When we have away followings that would be the away end and we wouldn't get the benefit and all our fans would be around the flat standing.


We only segregate York City, Salford City & Stockport as far as I am aware. Ir reckon with a shift in temporary fencing you easily give them the clubhouse side instead were the open end to be developed.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 2063
Team Supported: Darlington
A sobering thread.

Whilst many of us have accepted a period of stabilisation and consolidation is required, the comments above show just how much we'll need to continue to raise to get close to a good football ground at BM. Unfortunately we're looking at many years of significant infrastructure investment and currently no sign of how the club intends to grow revenue.

The meeting on Monday seems well timed, I'm hoping to get a sense of what options the board see for us in the longer term.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Posts: 1059
Team Supported: Darlington
Would it be possible to put some portable toilets other side of tin shed over the pipe.
Then put a bit of terracing up to the seated stand?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10958
Team Supported: Darlington
DarloDave40 wrote:
We have fans saying they won’t come because of the viewing and others not until we are winning. To enhance the viewing will cost money development of the open is the obvious choice I’d imagine this will cost several hundred thousand pounds. With a promotion FSIF money would fall in however this seems unlikely this season. So perhaps a couple of seasons of consolidation is required as the only other option is outside investment.


The thing is, we can be top of the league and attract crowds of 2,500 for a promotion decider and those fans won't come back if they can't see anything. So you end up with lower than hoped crowds regardless.

Get enough terracing first, and then when we eventually have a good season on the pitch the fans turn up for the big game and come back because they had a good experience as well as watching a good team.

You've got to do these things the right way around. Forget the 'glory' supporters for now and focus on getting the lapsed supporters who primarily want to be able to watch live football on a Saturday afternoon.

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Posts: 1397
Team Supported: Darlington
How much space is required for this piping? I.E. Does it only require a couple of metres of space, therefore a terrace with an archway or something like that.

Or as someone I know mentioned, terracing with a hinge on the side!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Posts: 345
Team Supported: Darlington
D_F_C wrote:
How much space is required for this piping? I.E. Does it only require a couple of metres of space, therefore a terrace with an archway or something like that.

Or as someone I know mentioned, terracing with a hinge on the side!

The piss boiling thing about this b****** pipe is that Northumbria water will probably NEVER want or need access to it :thumbdown:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Posts: 995
Team Supported: Darlington
Spyman wrote:

The thing is, we can be top of the league and attract crowds of 2,500 for a promotion decider and those fans won't come back if they can't see anything. So you end up with lower than hoped crowds regardless.

Get enough terracing first, and then when we eventually have a good season on the pitch the fans turn up for the big game and come back because they had a good experience as well as watching a good team.

You've got to do these things the right way around. Forget the 'glory' supporters for now and focus on getting the lapsed supporters who primarily want to be able to watch live football on a Saturday afternoon.


If we get the match day experience right, we could regularly attract 2,000 a week in the town. The club and DFCSG are working hard to rectify it, but they've started from a very low base, and we've lost some of the fans who went to Heritage Park as it was an vastly superior experience in comparison.

Unless we go full-time, we won't be tearing up the league and attracting the big crowds regardless, thus developing the ground and match day experience is the only sustainable and pragmatic solution to increasing the crowds.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: What's next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:04 am
Posts: 60
Team Supported: Newcastle
D_F_C wrote:
How much space is required for this piping? I.E. Does it only require a couple of metres of space, therefore a terrace with an archway or something like that.

Or as someone I know mentioned, terracing with a hinge on the side!


Why don't you write to them and ask?

Northumbrian Water
Customer Centre
PO Box 300
Durham
DH1 9WQ


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], darlobob, dfc4me and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group