Gainsborough v Darlington Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MikeinBlack2
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gainsborough v Darlington Match Thread

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:50 am

We may be relying on the new 16 year old lad to drag us out of the mire here!
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Yesterday has now gone we now move onto Tuesday against Harrogate, with the injuries we have I don't know how we will line up. Presuming the players we lost yesterday are still out I would line up with;

-----------------Talbot
----Marrs--- Heaton----Brown----Scott
---Mills-----Turnbull--- Wheatley -Thompson
--------------- Syers------------------
-----------------Styche------------

Subs Gillies, Saunders, Caton, Bancroft.

Other than I don't know what other resources we have.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:47 pm

Bottom line from yesterday, we're not nearly good enough no ifs, no buts.

Tommy Wright resembled a comedian when he got up with the mic at the presentation night and started talking about the play offs, the only thing missing was the rapturous laughter.

It is beyond a joke now we are rotten to the core at the moment and have been for some time I just genuinely can't see a turning point anymore. If we lose like that to third bottom Gainsborough (with respect) then what reason do we have to hope against Harrogate, Salford, York et al?

In the first half we were gutless, inept and clueless it's quite frankly the worst 45 minutes I've seen us play since that infamous 2009/10 season we really were that bad. Their first and second goals were atrocious ones to concede I didn't really see the third as I'd pretty much given up watching by that point but even when we pulled it back to 2-1 they always looked likely to get a third.

Even before Dom Collins got sent off the game was already lost, Gainsborough have been doing well at home recently (the FA Cup game with Slough apart) but what really upset me was they showed more desire, more hunger, more enthusiasm and more fight than we did it was really was men against boys at times I can't remember the last time I was left so incensed by our performance before today.

The second half we showed a bit more bottle, we started to make a fist of it and have a go and created a couple of chances hitting the post and having the ball run a long the line only needing a tap in but nobody could get to it but if the truth was known we never really looked like getting back into it at 2-1 we made it easy for them and their third was inevitable.

We look like an absolute team of losers out there right now and how many times are we going to repeat this mantra week in week out before we're relegated? Which is what going to happen if this continues and there's no obvious solution.

Hodgy, where are you?!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:53 pm

Good that you ended that with a joke in the last line.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Let's give the manager some time. Ultimately what is the worst case? We get relegated it's hardly life or death is it so let's not be over dramatic over the impacts of that.

I still think we have the quality in the squad to get us safe. Just feels like more composure is needed. There is no 'solution' if it were that easy everyone would apply it.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:26 pm

Let's face it. The players had stopped listening to MG as well.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Agree this form has not changed since TW took over we were in a poor run when he got the job. Really not sure what has happened to them. Maybe we just need some stability - we have had a lot of changes recently without a run of games.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:15 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Meant to start with "how do we begin to stop leaking goals".

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Although we let in daft unnecessary goals the league table suggests that our defence isn't that bad, it's the scoring of goals that is more of a worry. Hopefully this might change with the ins and outs we've had recently.

But on reading through this thread I'm wondering if Wright is making things too complicated for himself? And this got me thinking about Sam Allardyce and his methods, seeing how he's quickly worked wonders at Everton and all that.

Here is his survival blueprint - (taken from a Sky Sports Web page)

"CLEAN SHEETS
DON'T LOSE POSSESSION IN OWN HALF
PLAY THE FIRST PASS FORWARD
WIN KNOCK-DOWNS AND TRANSITIONS
SET PIECES
EXPLOIT THE OPPOSITION'S WEAKNESSES
QUALITY IN THE FINAL THIRD"

In the article they go through these 7 mantras one by one however it's all so obvious that it's not worth copying it out.

Allardyce must coach these basic facts into his players over and over and over again.............. and it works.

Here's just one that caught my eye - 'Don't lose possession in your own half'. We do this a lot with silly mistakes and slackness. Allardyce drums into his players the importance of not losing the ball in their own half. If under pressure, they are instructed to take a safety-first approach.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:37 pm

quakerste wrote:Yesterday has now gone we now move onto Tuesday against Harrogate, with the injuries we have I don't know how we will line up. Presuming the players we lost yesterday are still out I would line up with;

-----------------Talbot

I know Turnbull is always in everyone's first 11, but for quite a while now he hasn't been worth his place. I know we probably don't have anyone better, but some of Turnbull's performances have been dreadful. Passing gone to pot and struggling for pace. This seems to be typical of what has happened to our better players.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:51 pm

IMO something happened after York away because nothing has been the same since that night. Something was either said or overheard possibly splitting the players into pro and anti Gray. Unfortunately Wrights arrival doesn't seem to have restored unity, maybe the pro Gray faction are now anti Wright, but until we have a united changing room again we are not going to improve. Really hope I am wrong about this but yesterday several players just seemed to give up when the second goal went in.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:13 pm

So far people seem to want to clear out virtually every player. I don't. In my view a competent manager should be able to fashion a defence capable of holding its own in this league out of: Trotman, Marrs, Brown, Collins, Heaton, Galbraith. Similarly there's the basis of a decent central midfield out of Turnbull, Wheatley and Portas with Syers as an attacking midfielder/forward. Yes, there's clearly something wrong at the moment because we're sinking like the Titanic and looking increasingly disorganised and weak as the games go by. But we don't need a clear-out and nor is there the scope to do it. We need a simple, solid approach to each game and one that the players feel comfortable with. They clearly don't at the moment. Over to TW to deliver what he said he was confident of doing.

Oh yes, nearly forgot, Merry Fecking Xmas!

divas

Post by divas » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:22 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Although we let in daft unnecessary goals the league table suggests that our defence isn't that bad, it's the scoring of goals that is more of a worry. Hopefully this might change with the ins and outs we've had recently.

But on reading through this thread I'm wondering if Wright is making things too complicated for himself? And this got me thinking about Sam Allardyce and his methods, seeing how he's quickly worked wonders at Everton and all that.

"CLEAN SHEETS
SET PIECES

In the article they go through these 7 mantras one by one however it's all so obvious that it's not worth copying it out.

Allardyce must coach these basic facts into his players over and over and over again.............. and it works.

Here's just one that caught my eye - 'Don't lose possession in your own half'. We do this a lot with silly mistakes and slackness. Allardyce drums into his players the importance of not losing the ball in their own half. If under pressure, they are instructed to take a safety-first approach.
Funnily enough that could be a blueprint of how Gray played in his time here. There is a lot to be said at this level for playing for territory - the opposition can’t score whilst you’re in their half. It was rarely pretty to watch but for the most part it negated players at this level passing the ball in areas where mistakes are made which more often than not result in a goal. Ok the defence hasn’t been fantastic for a few years but there’s a lot to be said about only playing football in the right areas.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Divas, is this the problem then? TW said it would take time to change the style of play. Are we playing less territory ?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:47 pm

divas wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

"CLEAN SHEETS
SET PIECES

Funnily enough that could be a blueprint of how Gray played in his time here. There is a lot to be said at this level for playing for territory - the opposition can’t score whilst you’re in their half. It was rarely pretty to watch but for the most part it negated players at this level passing the ball in areas where mistakes are made which more often than not result in a goal. Ok the defence hasn’t been fantastic for a few years but there’s a lot to be said about only playing football in the right areas.
I noticed that too. 'Play the first pass forward" = 'Have it", but Allardyce's achievements at Everton are impressive.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Drove past Matlock Town's ground today. Said to the boy 'Son, we'll be playing there next season'. Not feeling too positive right now.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:54 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
divas wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

"CLEAN SHEETS
SET PIECES

I noticed that too. 'Play the first pass forward" = 'Have it", but Allardyce's achievements at Everton are impressive.
Is that not Hoof it?

divas

Post by divas » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Divas, is this the problem then? TW said it would take time to change the style of play. Are we playing less territory ?
Admittedly I’ve not seen as many games under TW as others but from those that I have seen I’ve struggled to see a certain style / way of playing. MG had a definite style and game plan and the players he brought into the club were brought to fit into this. Because of this when you’re going to radically change the style it’s likely you’ll need different players to a certain extent and he’s been able to make a few changes in that regard.

It could be that TW is still trying to put him stamp on things and from what I’d seen/heard of him at Nuneaton he did play an exciting fast paced brand of football. However it didn’t take Brown & Turnbull any time at all to change the philosophy which it sounded like most players bought into although I thought we passed the ball for the sake of passing it at times and had little craft/pace in the team to hurt teams playing that way.

My take is that we’ve maybe tried to change things too much too quickly and have been left with players who aren’t sure what their roles are / can’t play the roles asked of them. Not that we were any great shakes whilst MG was here anyway - I was always worried that we weren’t winning the “easier” fixtures but I wasn’t ever someone who had an issue with playing “effective” football but I did feel that this season it turned from effective to aimless hoof ball.

I think TW ideally wanted to attack his way out of things but I don’t believe we’re strong enough defensively to do that at the moment. I’d much rather see us play more conservatively and get some points on the board then work on playing more expansively over the summer when he can shuffle the pack a bit more.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:01 pm

jjljks wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
divas wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

"CLEAN SHEETS
SET PIECES

Is that not Hoof it?
Not necessarily. It just means don’t piss about and get caught in possession which has happened a lot recently

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:41 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Drove past Matlock Town's ground today. Said to the boy 'Son, we'll be playing there next season'. Not feeling too positive right now.
Got to stay positive Adam, I think on Saturday Tommy probably thought we would easily get the 3 points hence the very attacking lineup but probably underestimated Gainsborough.I am convinced if he goes 433 and keeps the back 4 defending and not bombing forward at every opportunity we will be OK, we have the squad to finish mid table.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Compare us to Crystal Palace, who last season had the ultimate in play-to-your-strengths simple football under Allardyce.

Over the summer they traded that for De Boer who tried to get a limited squad to completely alter playing style over night and asked them to play an unfamiliar formation and base their game on possession football. Great of the players are good enough or you have enough players familiar with that style, but he tried to change it over the course of a pre-season.

They then revert to a pragmatic manager in Hodgson who builds his team's on organisation and doing the simple things right and they immediately start getting results.

For all the criticism about Gray and the style of football he played, it's a style the probably only needed tweaking and we probably only have players who could cope with a tweaking of this style. To try and overhaul the entire style and system of the team is too much and it seems it's showing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Spyman that's a good analogy. Question is , is Tommy flexible or aware enough to realise this and revert back to a simpler style. You would have thought with Alan White as his right hand man then they'd spot it between them. It could be something as simple as getting our attacking players to not overcommit. Against Harrogate in the trophy I was sat in the stand on the half way line and Mills was leaving a huge space that Harrogate could quickly exploit. Another fan was , quite rightly constantly telling him to fill the space.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:07 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Allardyce must coach these basic facts into his players over and over and over again.............. and it works.
Up to a point, fat cat. Even including his Everton career, Allardyce’s Prem Leg win percentage is only 34% (only the 13th best of current PL managers), according to http://www.1sports1.com/premier-league- ... ercentage/. His career win percentage in all managerial posts is 39.5%.
Last edited by biccynana on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:23 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
quakerste wrote:Yesterday has now gone we now move onto Tuesday against Harrogate, with the injuries we have I don't know how we will line up. Presuming the players we lost yesterday are still out I would line up with;

-----------------Talbot

I know Turnbull is always in everyone's first 11, but for quite a while now he hasn't been worth his place. I know we probably don't have anyone better, but some of Turnbull's performances have been dreadful. Passing gone to pot and struggling for pace. This seems to be typical of what has happened to our better players.
That's it single out one player as Darlo fans always do...

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:26 am

biccynana wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Allardyce must coach these basic facts into his players over and over and over again.............. and it works.
Up to a point, fat cat. Even including his Everton career, Allardyce’s Prem Leg win percentage is only 34% (only the 13th best of current PL managers), according to http://www.1sports1.com/premier-league- ... ercentage/. His career win percentage in all managerial posts is 39.5%.
To judge someone on win percentage alone is reductionist and flawed. A win ratio of 1 in 3 for a side in a relegation battle is a good ratio (works out at about 13 wins in the Premier League, which is 39 points, which usually will keep a side up).

Different story if it's a title chasing club but Allardyce has rarely been in that situation. Usually he's given a brief to keep a side up, and that's what he does (Sunderland, Palace, West Ham, Blackburn, Bolton, now Everton).

His biggest PL failure was Newcastle, where there was more expectation. Is it simply a case of horses for courses with Allardyce? The ideal bottom-half Premier League manager, but not someone you'd appoint if you're after Champions League football.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:37 am

Spyman wrote:Compare us to Crystal Palace, who last season had the ultimate in play-to-your-strengths simple football under Allardyce.

Over the summer they traded that for De Boer who tried to get a limited squad to completely alter playing style over night and asked them to play an unfamiliar formation and base their game on possession football. Great of the players are good enough or you have enough players familiar with that style, but he tried to change it over the course of a pre-season.

They then revert to a pragmatic manager in Hodgson who builds his team's on organisation and doing the simple things right and they immediately start getting results.

For all the criticism about Gray and the style of football he played, it's a style the probably only needed tweaking and we probably only have players who could cope with a tweaking of this style. To try and overhaul the entire style and system of the team is too much and it seems it's showing.

Thing is though, he may be overhauling the playing style - but does he know what to?

It just seems to me a really scattergun approach, that he's hoping it will click. He's had nearly three months in charge and I have no idea what his philosophy is, or what he's trying to achieve with the squad. Does he even know? And if so, does he know how to achieve that? I've seen nothing to suggest he does.

If we've no contingency for going down, then we must do everything we can to stay up. Quite literally, we can't afford to go down.

On that basis, and on his abysmal previous record as a manager, I have no confidence in Wright turning this around. Let's face it, if he wasn't an ex-Darlo player, we wouldn't have gone near him for the job in the first place.

Turnbull and Brown did a far better job in their brief spell in charge than Wright has done since.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:08 am

Let's get behind the management and players Gramps, a lot of frustration has been released on this message board but we have all had a say so we need to move forward and get behind Tommy and Alan starting tomorrow.

Unstuck

Post by Unstuck » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:15 am

To me, having three weeks without a match, time that should have been used drilling the players and making them compact and organised, only to come out with an experimental formation, making a double substitution after 20 mins and shipping 3 goals to one of the worst teams in the division, reeks of incompetence from the manager.

I don't want us to be one of those clubs that sacks managers like they're going out of fashion, but I think if we don't get rid of Tommy soon, he could take us down.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:46 am

Unstuck wrote:To me, having three weeks without a match, time that should have been used drilling the players and making them compact and organised, only to come out with an experimental formation, making a double substitution after 20 mins and shipping 3 goals to one of the worst teams in the division, reeks of incompetence from the manager.

I don't want us to be one of those clubs that sacks managers like they're going out of fashion, but I think if we don't get rid of Tommy soon, he could take us down.
And who do you suggest we bring in?.Pretty sure Galbraith and Portas were injured and had to come off so you cannot blame Tommy for that.Changing managers now would be crazy.
Unstuck wrote:To me, having three weeks without a match, time that should have been used drilling the players and making them compact and organised, only to come out with an experimental formation, making a double substitution after 20 mins and shipping 3 goals to one of the worst teams in the division, reeks of incompetence from the manager.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:48 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Spyman wrote:Compare us to Crystal Palace, who last season had the ultimate in play-to-your-strengths simple football under Allardyce.

Thing is though, he may be overhauling the playing style - but does he know what to?

It just seems to me a really scattergun approach, that he's hoping it will click. He's had nearly three months in charge and I have no idea what his philosophy is, or what he's trying to achieve with the squad. Does he even know? And if so, does he know how to achieve that? I've seen nothing to suggest he does.

If we've no contingency for going down, then we must do everything we can to stay up. Quite literally, we can't afford to go down.

On that basis, and on his abysmal previous record as a manager, I have no confidence in Wright turning this around. Let's face it, if he wasn't an ex-Darlo player, we wouldn't have gone near him for the job in the first place.

Turnbull and Brown did a far better job in their brief spell in charge than Wright has done since.
Think I'm probably with you on that, bit as we've seen before, constant chopping and changing of management often makes things worse not better.

Hopefully Wright is aware enough to go back to basics - particularly over a tough couple of upcoming matches, and we can at least be competitive. Another change in manager so soon certainly won't look good so let's hope he turns it around.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:31 pm

With Collins red carded, surely we need to recall Vaulks and/or Burgess?