Tommy Wright

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Tommy Wright

Post by divas » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:06 am

Struggling to think of a manager in recent years who I’ve wanted to succeed more than Tommy. So chuffed he’s got his first win today, let’s hope it is the first of many. Interesting comments regarding the fans impact, we must get behind th regardless

en passant

Re: Tommy Wright

Post by en passant » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:57 am

Although he appears to be a thoroughly decent bloke, there have been question marks raised by some on this forum over his abilities to manage the situation he finds himself in. But fair play to him, he's never shirked responsibility for what happens out on the pitch and has never hidden from the fans or blustered through interviews in the way MG sometimes did.
I think that the more thoughtful fans have warmed to him, not only because of past associations with the club as a player, but due to his affable and honest approach to the job in hand. We recognise that he has inherited a team in freefall, that badly needed a confidence boost to get them back to playing as we know they can. It was great to see him going around all the players at the final whistle yesterday and enjoying some wonderfully emotional moments with them.
It is a single victory only, but it had the makings of a very significant turnaround by the way that fans, players and manager all bonded to the common cause.
So new year, new beginnings. Same again at their place and things will look a whole lot brighter for all of us. And in the words of that great entertainment philosopher, Bobby Ball, "Rock on Tommy".

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:32 am

divas wrote:Struggling to think of a manager in recent years who I’ve wanted to succeed more than Tommy. So chuffed he’s got his first win today, let’s hope it is the first of many. Interesting comments regarding the fans impact, we must get behind th regardless
My thoughts entirely Divas, comes across so differently at interviews unlike a previous manager.I just wished him the best of luck before the game and he came across and shook my hand, I am convinced he and Alan are the right choices and they will get it right, we are work in progress,Tommy needs a full pre season and patience is needed here.
en passant wrote:Although he appears to be a thoroughly decent bloke, there have been question marks raised by some on this forum over his abilities to manage the situation he finds himself in. But fair play to him, he's never shirked responsibility for what happens out on the pitch and has never hidden from the fans or blustered through interviews in the way MG sometimes did.
I think that the more thoughtful fans have warmed to him, not only because of past associations with the club as a player, but due to his affable and honest approach to the job in hand. We recognise that he has inherited a team in freefall, that badly needed a confidence boost to get them back to playing as we know they can. It was great to see him going around all the players at the final whistle yesterday and enjoying some wonderfully emotional moments with them.
It is a single victory only, but it had the makings of a very significant turnaround by the way that fans, players and manager all bonded to the common cause.
So new year, new beginnings. Same again at their place and things will look a whole lot brighter for all of us. And in the words of that great entertainment philosopher, Bobby Ball, "Rock on Tommy".

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Very happy Wright and the team got a win yesterday, was even more happy with the team he selected after the Gainsborough game.

We need players who will battle, fight and keep going and the team he picked yesterday done this. We had two players in Scott and Collins really out of position but what they may lack sometimes in quality they do give everything, which is exactly what we need.

It looked like Wright and White have learnt a lot and will now set us up in a way that gives us a good chance, I did start to question after Saturday if Wright could get it right. The changes he made were the ones most seen and knew were required so good to see it result in a win.

I really hope Wright gets it right because he has a tough job turning the team around in terms of results, whilst also evolving the squad and removing one or two who are on big money but not contributing in any way.

Would love Wright to sign another striker to work alongside Styche as well, Saunders always brings a spark but can't lead the line like Styche and after that we have no one.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:23 pm

I too was so pleased for him yesterday as he has been getting stick.
He has inherited a squad with plenty of dead wood, they are good players but some did and do not want to be there and have lost that edge.
I have been impressed with the signings he has made to date, Heaton looked good yesterday, and Styche is a quality player at this level, hopefully Wright can keep him motivated.
Now that Gray has gone, it feels more like a fan owned club again and we are all in it together, which as a fan is what I want. The next few games are going to be a massive test but we have shown we can compete with the best of them. I have got the bug again and can’t wait until the next game!
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Late to comment after yesterday, but it was brilliant wasn't it? I mean he's had a rotten start, there's no covering for that, but he always had a very tough run of fixtures and he was handed a team that had dropped points in places they really shouldn't have under Martin Gray (the myriad of chances missed at North Ferriby still drives me nuts thinking about it; how helpful would those extra two points be now?). Sadly for Tommy, the horrible fixtures don't let up an awful lot. I don't expect much, if anything, from the next three games, but heck if we can pick up a sneaky point or three, i'd feel much better going into the following run of games against more manageable opposition.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:48 pm

H1987 wrote:Late to comment after yesterday, but it was brilliant wasn't it? I mean he's had a rotten start, there's no covering for that, but he always had a very tough run of fixtures and he was handed a team that had dropped points in places they really shouldn't have under Martin Gray (the myriad of chances missed at North Ferriby still drives me nuts thinking about it; how helpful would those extra two points be now?). Sadly for Tommy, the horrible fixtures don't let up an awful lot. I don't expect much, if anything, from the next three games, but heck if we can pick up a sneaky point or three, i'd feel much better going into the following run of games against more manageable opposition.
I think not getting battered and getting through the three games with confidence in tact will be almost as important as any points picked up.

It would be great if we can build on the confidence that will have been gained yesterday and carry that confidence into some of the 'easier' looking games.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC