Harrogate V Darlington FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Harrogate V Darlington FC

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:49 pm

4 mins of injury time, there's no way back I'm afraid.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:52 pm

3-0 defenders go to sleep, game over.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:53 pm

3-0 FT bad day at the office, as poor defending prove costly.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:3-0 FT bad day at the office, as poor defending prove costly.
that sounds very familiar

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:59 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:3-0 FT bad day at the office, as poor defending prove costly.
that sounds very familiar
Yep the story of our season I'm afraid.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:10 pm

Defended far too deep today looked like we were playing for a draw at 2 Nil down just to many mistakes poor tactics, it’s hard to think the starting 11 who battled so well on Boxing Day just didn’t turn up

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:15 pm

A solid, if unspectacular, first half where we restricted them to very little. They dominated possession but couldn’t break us down. We were very wasteful in possession and repeatedly hit it long to no one.

Second half Scott got totally outpaced, something we really lack in general, they scored early, and we lost our composure and fell to bits and it cost us dearly.

Wright may talk about individual errors, but the team setup and game-plan was the problem. We looked lost once we’d conceded without a strategy to get back into the game.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:21 pm

Beano wrote:A solid, if unspectacular, first half where we restricted them to very little. They dominated possession but couldn’t break us down. We were very wasteful in possession and repeatedly hit it long to no one.

Second half Scott got totally outpaced, something we really lack in general, they scored early, and we lost our composure and fell to bits and it cost us dearly.

Wright may talk about individual errors, but the team setup and game-plan was the problem. We looked lost once we’d conceded without a strategy to get back into the game.
Hopefully Galbraith will slot in at left back on Saturday against York.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:22 pm

We seem to have more bad days at the office than nick leeson

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:27 pm

We drop to 4th bottom, after Gainsborough get a point against Boston.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:28 pm

Styche needs help up top he can't do it all... Midfielders were to far away at times...Really impressed with Heaton looks like we have got ourselves a good un there... Tommo was good again as was Collins... They just had too much for us on the break...
Never mind onto PARKIN FC on Saturday now big performance needed..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:39 pm

I don't think losing today is any great surprise - I'll take the positive that we've won one and lost one as opposed to scrapping out 2 draws - in a Mick Tait style.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:53 pm

Yes it`s 3 points more than most people thought we would have trouble is some other teams round about us are doing the same

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:09 pm

Solid performances from Talbot, Heaton, Collins and Thompson other than that normal service resumed.

Brown today was a liability, decision making and distribution awful, the sooner Collins slots in alongside Heaton the better.

Another striker is needed Styche can't be expected to lead the line on his own with no other players within 50 yards of him.

The only positive from the last week is that we have three more points than I thought we would have.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:18 pm

I have my doubts as to whether Saunders will make it up front, he seems to run around a lot for little end result.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:20 pm

Beaten by the better side - no real shame in that. Their midfield was streets ahead of ours today.

While it wasn't thrilling, at least you could see what we were trying to do today. Soak up pressure and steal a goal on the break/from a set-piece. And it worked reasonably well in the first half. Unfortunately at the start of the second half Scott got skinned, and then a terrible piece of defending, and we're 2 nil down and it's game over. We tried to get back into it, but never really threatened.

Frustrating that again we concede avoidable goals. Still, 3 points from these 2 games is 3 more than most expected.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I have my doubts as to whether Saunders will make it up front, he seems to run around a lot for little end result.
T.W. reckons he knows what the problem is and is working on it.Says he acts in response to a situation rather than creating or controlling it, he needs a proactive rather than a reactive approach. Or something like that.
quakerste wrote:Brown today was a liability,
He does have good games but seems to struggle against the better teams - this league is a big ask for him.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:31 pm

Unfortunately, I think this league is a step to much. He always gives 110% but makes to many wrong decisions which are killing us.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:44 pm

That's it the Browny bashers are back now we have got beat...

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:54 pm

We need to sort ourselves out... The Chairman said there's no plan or any consideration around relegation, well he's probably starting to change his mind because we're looking very precarious. Are we a good team playing below par, if so questions need to be asked of TW... if not then we need to consider how we can strengthen, whether the big 3 have any players they can very kindly loan us for nothing because relegation would be nothing short of a disaster for this club, it would set us back years in terms of our progress to get back to where we should/want to be.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:59 pm

Unfortunately today we looked like a team that were "scared" and playing not to lose rather than the confidence I was expecting after boxing day. We restricted their chances in the first half but the space down the left hand side for their players was unbelievable at times, which they could not take the opportunities (thank goodness). Our distribution was poor and little movement in midfield to allow an easy pass therefore gave the ball away cheaply time and again (on radio York Falkenham said that Darlo were just "hoofing the ball up front to no one"). We did have a couple of shots on target near the end of the first half from Wheatley and Syres which their keeper parried. Most of the team struggled to pass the ball effectively to one of our players throughout the game, so balls we got were often hard won.

Reece and Collins, (worth recalling Vaulx?), both looked like they were not fully fit for the game to be honest.

On Boxing day we were fairly switched on at the back and had cover for Harrogate forwards but today the cover was not always there, especially leading up to second goal where Harrogate had a man on the centre spot of the half way line and we did have two men back on the half way line but unfortunately 10 metres away each side :( - Not sure if our management team were shouting at them to cover him but if not they missed a trick there, as they were perfectly placed to see it. Needless to say the man on the centre spot got the pass.

Second half the goals scored could all be put down to initial mistakes by us (common theme I know), and again Harrogate were given too much respect by our team (suspect that is down to lack of confidence in themselves) as Harrogate dominated possession, but we had a great chance to pull one back with an excellent ball in by Thommo, and Syres snap shot stopped by the keeper from short range.

On the plus side the keeper, Heaton and Syres I thought had a good game and Saunders caused a bit of a problem for their defenders when he came on. Reece struggled up front by himself against a well organised side and there were a couple times he could have released the ball to a better position player but didn't.

But we have to remember that we were playing the second top team who are full time, on a plastic surface they are used to paying on!!! so could possibly forgive today and to be honest getting 3 points out of these two games is better than I thought we would get

Now on to York and hope that we get the marking of John Parkin sorted so we gift him not a sniff (may be worth putting a lot of pies in the York changing room before the game ;) ).

I am not considering that we will be relation prospects, mainly because I do not want MG to look at us and say "look what happens when I leave them" - So Tommy really need you to pull this one out.

Onward and upward now - "Up the Quakers"

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:17 pm

Unfortunately Tommys hands are tied at the moment and there is little flexibility for him to get in who he wants, it is fairly certain whatever happens there will be a max exodus in the Summer. As I have said before the players that he has brought in look better than what Gray left us with, so I am hopeful next season we can make a push for the playoffs.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:20 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:We need to sort ourselves out... The Chairman said there's no plan or any consideration around relegation, well he's probably starting to change his mind because we're looking very precarious. Are we a good team playing below par, if so questions need to be asked of TW... if not then we need to consider how we can strengthen, whether the big 3 have any players they can very kindly loan us for nothing because relegation would be nothing short of a disaster for this club, it would set us back years in terms of our progress to get back to where we should/want to be.
Wouldn't read too much into a defeat away at 2nd in the league. Not the games where this season will be won or lost.

We admittedly come from a poor starting point as Gray had some awful results earlier in the season against bottom half teams which if we'd won we'd be well clear.

York isnt a game I am expecting much from. I'll be honest if we can get 10 points before end of February I'd be happy then we need to get four or five wins in March.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:57 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wouldn't read too much into a defeat away at 2nd in the league. Not the games where this season will be won or lost.
Yep - some of the comments I heard today were ridiculous. People seem to have forgotten what it's like to go to promotion chasers and be outclassed. We've had a 5 year hiatus from it, but it's happened plenty of times in the past, and will happen plenty of times in the future.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:03 pm

What was the total crowd today and how many were from Darlo?

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:04 pm

I do not think they were 3 goals better than us. Had the Syers effort gone in just before half time, the whole complexion of the game would have changed. Thought Heaton was the best player on the park, unfortunately, we had the inadequate Gillies (actually looking , almost volunteering to be subbed,) and the inept Scott. who in his defence, is at least a battler, if not a left back. Time to re call Vaulks and have a big back 4 unit.

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:29 pm

I feel sorry for Scott as he plainly isn’t a left back and gave it all but was brutally outpaced. That is a poor choice from the manager with Galbraith on the bench.

I echo Tezza’s call to recall Vaulks, especially as Collins is half-fit and needs protecting, and he will get plenty of minutes.

Heaton is a class above this level and will have bigger suitors before long.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:41 pm

The crowd was 1,648. Harrogate haven't said how many of those were from Darlington.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:44 pm

Just seen the highlights. Scott does get done, but I don't think Galbraith is fully match fit yet. However, the pull back from the touch line could have been better blocked by our No.8 who bottles it and turns his back on the shot. Is that Wheatley? Whitey often says that you defend as a team, and that was an example of it not happening.
TW was clearly annoyed by our shape after the 2nd goal. Brown was committed forward, but he says they've done a lot of work on defending and keeping our shape after attacks break down, and suggested that the reason we get hit on the break so much is that our recovery runs are non-existent. To be fair we've struggled on this for some time now, and it seems that AW and TW have spotted this and at least are working on it.
Gillies did little today in a match where we needed all 11 battling. A move to South Shields would be good business for both clubs (which was rumoured recently).We need another forward, but I think it's probably one in one out.
To stay up we need to win at least 4 away matches this season. We have only one,which makes Alfreton away almost must win, for me, when you see what other away games we have left. Plus, win another 4 at home and I think we'll have enough to stay up.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:48 pm

Cracking quote from a Harrogate fan in the main stand today regarding Beck, "We have 10 men and an oak tree on the pitch".