Clock's ticking for Spendy

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Clock's ticking for Spendy

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:20 pm

Thinking back to our blow in missing out on the play-offs last season, I was wondering if Spennymoor may be headed the same way. I was at their game against Blyth and I don't think any of the work needed for them to meet the requirements has yet been done or even started.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they need 500 covered seats by the end of March to be eligible for the play-offs? Well, they currently have 226 and they got permission from Durham County Council in 2017 to put up two new small seated stands framing the current main stand to hit their target number of seats. Maybe it's all in hand but at the moment nothing seems to have been done to install these.

Also, am I right in saying that to stay in National North you need a general ground capacity of at least 3,000? Well, along with the above planning permission they were also given the OK to install a new covered 70m terrace where there is currently an open terrace behind one of the goals. This was one of the main ways they were going to increase the capacity. It was stated when this permission was granted in 2017 that the ground capacity was 2,040 and these improvements would raise that to 4,486. Again, nothing seems to have yet been done. Looks like they'll have to get their foot down to get all this sorted. There seems to be an awful lot to do in a relatively short space of time.

In September Spenny said they were seeking external investment because it was necessary to reduce the reliance on Brad Groves as much as possible after he had ploughed a seven-figure sum into the club. Again, maybe it's all in hand but there has been nothing heard since.

Tick tock....

super_les_mcjannet

Re: Clock's ticking for Spendy

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:48 pm

It will be in hand. Was mentioned that they will just add some seats in tin shed as short term fix.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Don’t worry, Brad will dip his hand in his pocket - the plans are there and there are announcements to come.

I’m confused how replacing the open terrace with a covered one will increase capacity to over 4000 unless it is much bigger.

I’m also confused how their ground only has a capacity of only 2,040, that can’t be right.

I remember when we first played there in the NL, it was all ticket and the crowd was 2,670. There was easily room to fit more in and the ground hasn’t shrunk since then.

Probably my biggest “concern” (not that I’m at all concerned) is their plan to tag a stand either side of the main stand. Not only will it look stupid but I’m not sure it will qualify for the ground grading because the minimum 500 seats must not be in more than two seated stands.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Where do you get idea that plan involves stands adjoining main stand?

Think that is unlikely because the bottom of the main stand is the main vehicle access to ground and couldn't be blocked on safety grounds.

My understanding was the plans involved a seated stand down the touchline behind the dug outs

Will it ever happen? I have serious reservations as time is ticking and no definite news yet and no work starting. Time is rapidly running out

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:34 pm

They must have more than 226 seats or they'd have been relegated from the Evostik Premier last year as you need 250 seats for that league by March 31st.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:35 pm

It won't take much to knock up a little stand in that area behind the dug out, I assume it was was smoothed over for that purpose anyway. And it seems sensible to wait rather than dive in and spend money needlessly on ground improvements it turned out they didn't need.

Failing that they can always blame a confusing E-mail from the FA.

Regardless, I'm far more concerned about our relegation battle then whether or not Spenny make ground grading and even if they don't and end up getting hoofed out like we did it's not the end of the world, they sat in the Northern League for a good 4 or 5 years before taking promotion so it wouldn't be a total disaster.

Wish I could say the same for us....
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:13 pm

You'll find everything I've detailed is correct as presented to Durham County Council in 2017... just look under the delegated report, proposed site plans and proposed plans and elevations here......

https://publicaccess.durham.gov.uk/onli ... GZIGDJYT00
Last edited by LoidLucan on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:23 pm

We have not started on our stand yet for when we make playoffs LOL!!!!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:28 pm

spen666 wrote:Where do you get idea that plan involves stands adjoining main stand?

Think that is unlikely because the bottom of the main stand is the main vehicle access to ground and couldn't be blocked on safety grounds.

My understanding was the plans involved a seated stand down the touchline behind the dug outs

Will it ever happen? I have serious reservations as time is ticking and no definite news yet and no work starting. Time is rapidly running out
Check out the plans, it most certainly involves a seated stand either side of the main stand, and trust me you can’t have 500 seats spread between 3 stands. If you have the minimum 500 seats they can be contained within no more than 2 stands.

I’d suggest that you’re going to end up in as embarrassing a situation as we were in if you complete this work and think it’s enough.

On the dug out side is a plan for a marquee, and the open end will be covered terrace.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:33 pm

Spen's clueless. The only things they have planning permission for is as I have detailed here. They won't have time to suddenly chuck in new plans at this stage.

Shed7
Team Supported: Spennymoor

Post by Shed7 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:44 pm

Don't worry about spennymoor, everything is in place and should the club finish in the play offs then I can assure you they will be participating.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:52 pm

Shed7 wrote:Don't worry about spennymoor, everything is in place and should the club finish in the play offs then I can assure you they will be participating.
We’re not worried, but you should check the ground grading regulations I think.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:02 pm

Just checked the FA ground grading regs and to qualify for promotion you must have 500 covered seats by April 1st each season. This is what we fell foul of but I’m sure both clubs will achieve that standard in time this season.

However, if the seating is in more than one stand, one of the stands must have a capacity of 250, do you satisfy this criteria?

Further to that, the 500 seats can be in two stands. Your 500 will be in 3 stands. The seating requirements for promotion are pretty clear.

I suggest that unless you can convince the FA that the stands which are planned to be added to the main stand actually add up to only one stand (or two if you like)...you’re fucked.

Just saying.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:46 am

Question. How the hell have they got away with only having 228 seats? They removed the first in the main stand years ago (when in the NL) to aid access. And with the proposed plans, they’re only going to have 420 seats (+ disabled spaces). Do the FA even check?

And that’s without stepping into the discussion about whether the extensions will be classed as one stand.

PS, that’s easily resolved, you just need to join up the roof line.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 am

They have 250 seats that work was completed last season.

Spenny will be fine.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:04 am

dickdarlington wrote:Question. How the hell have they got away with only having 228 seats? They removed the first in the main stand years ago (when in the NL) to aid access. And with the proposed plans, they’re only going to have 420 seats (+ disabled spaces). Do the FA even check?

And that’s without stepping into the discussion about whether the extensions will be classed as one stand.

PS, that’s easily resolved, you just need to join up the roof line.
Perhaps the FA have trouble counting!! :lol:

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:21 am

Quakerz wrote: .....
Check out the plans, it most certainly involves a seated stand either side of the main stand, and trust me you can’t have 500 seats spread between 3 stands. If you have the minimum 500 seats they can be contained within no more than 2 stands.

I’d suggest that you’re going to end up in as embarrassing a situation as we were in if you complete this work and think it’s enough.

On the dug out side is a plan for a marquee, and the open end will be covered terrace.

Which plans?

There have been so many sets of plans that I have no idea which is the latest.

The only Marquee I am aware of is already in place and is on the Main Stand side in the bottom corner.

EDIT

Most recent plans I can find are:

https://publicaccess.durham.gov.uk/onli ... 093673.pdf

The marquee is where it is now and it not planned for the dugout side.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:08 am

Spen, are you you incapable of clicking on the link above and reading through the various documents? If you go into Durham County Council's planning search facility and type in Brewery Field you will find all the plans that have been approved for the ground....

https://publicaccess.durham.gov.uk/onli ... =firstPage

This is like pulling teeth.... The marquee was originally for the dug-out side and then amended for the other side. But the major plans that affect the seating and ground capacity involve the stuff in the thread above. There is no plan for a stand on the dug-out side. You don't seem able to grasp any of the basics of something that is very simple.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:10 am

Shed7 wrote:Don't worry about spennymoor, everything is in place and should the club finish in the play offs then I can assure you they will be participating.
"Look away, nothing to see here. Move along."

The most feeble attempt to shut down scrutiny that we've seen on here.

Sure it'll all be fine though. If it all goes wrong you can just ask Uncle Brad for another big handout at your wonderfully sustainable club.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:26 am

Once they get spen's superbly honed analytical mind on board everything will be OK.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:29 am

I'd imagine Spennymoor will be fine - the advantage of having a wealthy owner is that they can very quickly dip into their pocket. I suppose the concern may be if Groves is starting to get sick of putting money in - the call for 'new investors' they made earlier this season can be taken a couple of ways I guess.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 am

We'll all be able to see their brand new stand, when we play them on Easter Monday!!

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:41 am

spen666 wrote:
Quakerz wrote: .....

Which plans?

There have been so many sets of plans that I have no idea which is the latest. They are next to the set that Raj published for housing on the site.

The only Marquee I am aware of is already in place and is on the Main Stand side in the bottom corner.

EDIT

Most recent plans I can find are:

https://publicaccess.durham.gov.uk/onli ... 093673.pdf

The marquee is where it is now and it not planned for the dugout side.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:05 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:They have 250 seats that work was completed last season.
Not according to their plans, nor a photo taken on the opening day of the season which still only shows four rows of seats.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:18 am

dickdarlington wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:They have 250 seats that work was completed last season.
Not according to their plans, nor a photo taken on the opening day of the season which still only shows four rows of seats.
Doesn't mention the number of seats but pretty sure it will have been inspected and checked. No reason to think they didn't complete it.

https://spennymoortownfc.co.uk/news-moo ... -campaign/

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:23 am

LoidLucan wrote:Spen, are you you incapable of clicking on the link above and reading through the various documents? If you go into Durham County Council's planning search facility and type in Brewery Field you will find all the plans that have been approved for the ground....

https://publicaccess.durham.gov.uk/onli ... =firstPage

This is like pulling teeth.... The marquee was originally for the dug-out side and then amended for the other side. But the major plans that affect the seating and ground capacity involve the stuff in the thread above. There is no plan for a stand on the dug-out side. You don't seem able to grasp any of the basics of something that is very simple.

So what have I not grasped?

the Marquee is not to be on the dug out side - I said that

The seats are not to be attached to the main stand- I said that

So what have I not grasped?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 am

spen666 wrote:Where do you get idea that plan involves stands adjoining main stand?

Just tell me which bit of this is correct? Just read the effing plans. The plan that has been approved involves putting up two small seated stands adjoining and either side of the main stand. Surely you can grasp that. There is no plan for a stand on the dug-out side.

And when you say
spen666 wrote:There have been so many sets of plans that I have no idea which is the latest.
it is quite obvious what the latest plans are because they have a date on them and they are quite clear what's involved. Continuing this with you is clearly pointless as it's obvious school was not compulsory where you were dragged up.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:08 am

LoidLucan wrote:

Just tell me which bit of this is correct? Just read the effing plans. The plan that has been approved involves putting up two small seated stands adjoining and either side of the main stand. Surely you can grasp that. There is no plan for a stand on the dug-out side.

And when you say
spen666 wrote:There have been so many sets of plans that I have no idea which is the latest.
it is quite obvious what the latest plans are because they have a date on them and they are quite clear what's involved. Continuing this with you is clearly pointless as it's obvious school was not compulsory where you were dragged up.

Which is why I edited my post after I had googled and found the latest plans.

Which is long before you posted your post, so what the point of your post is remains to be determined.

now if you could understand plans, you would know that the plans do not involve any changes at all to the main stand.

Nor do the plans involve building 2 new seated stands. The plans involve putting 2 blocks of seating into the existing North West covered terraced stand. That stand alread runs the whole width of the pitch.

The main stand is the north East stand which houses the existing seats, the changing rooms, the bar and the corporate hospitality section

Still don't let your stupidity and ignorance cloud your judgement

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:34 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
"Look away, nothing to see here. Move along."

The most feeble attempt to shut down scrutiny that we've seen on here.

Sure it'll all be fine though. If it all goes wrong you can just ask Uncle Brad for another big handout at your wonderfully sustainable club.
As opposed to asking the fans at another wonderfully sustainable club.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:00 pm

darlo reborn wrote:We have not started on our stand yet for when we make playoffs LOL!!!!
Yes we have, the foundations are already in, which is a significant part of the job. Which is why it'll go up pretty quickly in February, we're just waiting for delivery of the parts I believe!

It'd be very, very funny if they cock this up. There's nothing I can see in those plans that involves putting seating on the existing covered terrace, and surely if they did do that (assuming they don't need planning permission to do so - they may not if they're just going to bolt them on to the terrace - assuming it's suitable and has four steps) it would probably reduce the overall capacity to a point where that isn't acceptable, as right now it only holds 3,000 and replacing standing room with seats is going to reduce that.

If they build two small stands to either side of the existing stand, if they are classed as individual stands, as someone else has noted, then this wouldn't be enough either, as there needs to be 500 across two stands.