Tommy and Alan ...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Tommy and Alan ...

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:25 am

... Do they need more help on the coaching side of things?

I'm sure Gray, when he was with us had more people at his disposal to help - and seeing as our defence is problematic at present does A.W. in particular need a more experienced assistant alongside of him? After all, he's had a long playing career but only a bit of coaching at Spennymoor. And is this enough?

I'm not criticising here, I'm just pointing out that there will be an awful lot of work to do for two men and as the season continues the stakes get higher.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Re: Tommy and Alan ...

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:30 am

Yes they probably do, but more spent on a coach could mean the budget will go into more of an overspend than we already have.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:38 am

Obviously there will be money issues, but now's the time to kick on - not when it's too late.

Anyway, we must be making a big saving on what M.G. and co cost. There were loads of people here then, all getting paid.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:07 am

I agree with you, now is the time to possibly give them some help, if they think it would benefit the team. If they are happy to continue by themselves, then that should be respected.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:13 am

The thing is we are not getting outplayed by York and Harrogate, fine lines and really down to discipline and naivety.We have the players to get us up the table and we need to be set up differently to be more difficult to break down rather than too many attacking formations.Having said that, I still think a good partner alongside Styche would make a big difference as Harvey is not quite ready yet for this league.I have a feeling we will beat Salford on Wednesday IF we pick the right team and formation, most of our tough games will be out of the way, let's make sure we are in this league next season, Tommy can assemble his own squad and we go again and hopefully have another crack at York.Up the Quakers.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:32 am

i do think there is too much 'expected' of coaching given the level of players now. It's not like football manager where their attribute is just going to go up and you have a better player.

The fact we keep chopping and changing players suggests to me that in training it is unlikely we've been able to play out scenarios with consistency (same players / same positions). The changes in formation further back that up.

Mistakes are mistakes are mistakes. They potentially boils down more to uncertainty/lack of confidence - someone has posted here the 'Allardyce' approach in terms of simplicity in tactics etc. That doesn't require an extra coach it needs a simple game plan to be presented to the players.

Whatever is being done in training doesn't feel like it can be being done with a nod to Saturday as every Saturday we are lining up differently. Unless every week training is trying something completely different each time.

Again it's not volume of coaches which will address this.
Last edited by lo36789 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:14 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:The thing is we are not getting outplayed by York and Harrogate, fine lines and really down to discipline and naivety.We have the players to get us up the table and we need to be set up differently to be more difficult to break down rather than too many attacking formations.Having said that, I still think a good partner alongside Styche would make a big difference as Harvey is not quite ready yet for this league.I have a feeling we will beat Salford on Wednesday IF we pick the right team and formation, most of our tough games will be out of the way, let's make sure we are in this league next season, Tommy can assemble his own squad and we go again and hopefully have another crack at York.Up the Quakers.

Agree with this...

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Darlo-and-Back wrote:The thing is we are not getting outplayed by York and Harrogate, fine lines and really down to discipline and naivety.We have the players to get us up the table and we need to be set up differently to be more difficult to break down rather than too many attacking formations.
At Harrogate away, they dominated in the first half, but a gritty display held them at bay, however we offered no goal threat whatsoever. In the second half, they ripped us to pieces, and took their foot off the gas once they had the lead. We could have played for 2 days and not scored. In the home fixture, we were able to hold on against 10 men, before reducing they were reduced to 9. From what I saw in that game, I wouldn't have been confident against 11.

York were poor, yet we were worse. They could have had more than 2 if they'd taken their chances. I simply cannot accept that we are playing well as we simply aren't.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:40 pm

What I am saying Beano is that against 2 full time teams with big budgets, we weren't a mile off.Agree about Harrogate away but they rarely posed a threat in the first half and our mistakes early second half gifted them the points.Against York it was fairly even until we chased the game and left ourselves open but nothing really between the teams.The right formation,more discipline and if somehow Tommy can bring in a partner alongside Styche and we will start picking up wins.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:00 pm

I admire your optimism, but I don’t share it. We are conceding far too many and are scoring far too little. Blaming personnel and looking for additional transfers isn’t enough to turn it around. We need a solid game plan, which with respect, isn’t 3-4-3 with no clear attacking or defensive cohesion.

8 points from 24 against the bottom 9 teams tells its own story, as did Gainsborough.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:26 pm

Beano wrote:I admire your optimism, but I don’t share it. We are conceding far too many and are scoring far too little. Blaming personnel and looking for additional transfers isn’t enough to turn it around. We need a solid game plan, which with respect, isn’t 3-4-3 with no clear attacking or defensive cohesion.

8 points from 24 against the bottom 9 teams tells its own story, as did Gainsborough.
But that's what I am saying, Styche needs another striker alongside him and this with a more solid defensive setup will help massively, our lineup yesterday was far too fragile with too many attacking players starting.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:27 pm

Also, looking at mathematically how likely it is for us to stay up, you have to see if there are 3 teams who will amass less points than us. Ferriby are gone, Nuneaton look poor, but of the other teams, United and Leamington have had decent runs, Southport have started picking up, Gainsborough are decent at home. That just leaves ourselves and Alfreton. I simply can't see us going on a consistent run at the moment. Southport took 4 points out of 6 v Chorley, FC Utd took 4 points out of 6 v Salford. Could you see us doing that? Next weeks game is simply huge.

dfclincolnshire

Post by dfclincolnshire » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:38 pm

But that's what I am saying, Styche needs another striker alongside him and this with a more solid defensive setup will help massively, our lineup yesterday was far too fragile with too many attacking players starting.

Agreed, another striker and more pressure and more to think about for the opposition, give our back 4 a bit more confidence.

Bad defence last year letting in bad goals generated by mistakes especially keeper errors, but we were scoring lots of goals and getting results

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:10 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Also, looking at mathematically how likely it is for us to stay up, you have to see if there are 3 teams who will amass less points than us. Ferriby are gone, Nuneaton look poor, but of the other teams, United and Leamington have had decent runs, Southport have started picking up, Gainsborough are decent at home. That just leaves ourselves and Alfreton. I simply can't see us going on a consistent run at the moment. Southport took 4 points out of 6 v Chorley, FC Utd took 4 points out of 6 v Salford. Could you see us doing that? Next weeks game is simply huge.
Aren't Alfreton full time??

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:17 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Beano wrote:I admire your optimism, but I don’t share it. We are conceding far too many and are scoring far too little. Blaming personnel and looking for additional transfers isn’t enough to turn it around. We need a solid game plan, which with respect, isn’t 3-4-3 with no clear attacking or defensive cohesion.

I’m not sure whether you’re agreeing or disagreeing with me.

Ultimately, our problems are multifaceted and won’t be solved easily or quickly. We are in a very difficult place, with little room for optimism at present, given our consistently poor performances.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:54 pm

As much as I like Gary Brown I think he is a liability at this level and we need another centre half to play along side Heaton. The players that stand out for me in terms of ability are Styche and Thompson so we need to play a way that gets the best out of these two. York did not have anyone that was technically better than us yesterday so its not all bad.
I could not believe the amount of staff Martin Gray had stood round him yesterday - how many do you need - you can over complicate things by having too many opinions.
I am sure if they needed another coach they would get one in - I dont think its an issue of funds as some coaches out their do it for the love of the game.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:29 pm

Beano wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

I’m not sure whether you’re agreeing or disagreeing with me.

Ultimately, our problems are multifaceted and won’t be solved easily or quickly. We are in a very difficult place, with little room for optimism at present, given our consistently poor performances.
I think consistently poor performances is a bit strong. Consistently poor results yes but from what I’ve seen were actually playing some good stuff but ten minutes of madness is generally killing us. Even at 2-1 down yesterday I thought we had an equaliser in us but once we changed shape we just lost any kind of cohesion.

Who knows whether we’ll be able to cut out those crazy ten minutes or not but if we can I can see us going on a good run. There’s at least something to work with

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:10 pm

divas wrote:There’s at least something to work with
Without question, which is why we don't need a fire sale and wholesale squad changes.

I have everything crossed.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:35 pm

I still think there's too much work involved here for two men.

From yesterdays programme we have 5 people listed under 'Football' A.W. and T.W. plus a Kit Man, Goalkeeping Coach and Physio.

Back when Gray was with us, on top of these 5 we had these as well - an extra coach (Gregan) a scout (Dunn) a Psychologist!(Sutton) an assistant Kit Man (Smith) Plus, if memory serves me right we had a Goalkeeping coach too? which would make double the number.

I'm not saying we need to go crazy, just one good appointment to give our relatively new management team a lift.

Surely we can afford that, can we afford not to?
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:What I am saying Beano is that against 2 full time teams with big budgets, we weren't a mile off.Agree about Harrogate away but they rarely posed a threat in the first half and our mistakes early second half gifted them the points.Against York it was fairly even until we chased the game and left ourselves open but nothing really between the teams.The right formation,more discipline and if somehow Tommy can bring in a partner alongside Styche and we will start picking up wins.Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
I agree with both points. We've pretty much got the players, they've just not quite got it together at present - and yes, Styche does need a partner, and this is the job Caton could or should be doing, which is a shame as he looks to have ability but ...
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:28 pm

Must admit I'm extremely concerned... maybe some help is needed... McLaren seems to be there a lot... heard he was there yesterday with Johnson... wonder if he fancies helping out a bit when he can....

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:06 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:Must admit I'm extremely concerned... maybe some help is needed... McLaren seems to be there a lot... heard he was there yesterday with Johnson... wonder if he fancies helping out a bit when he can....
He was probably there to see his mate Gray...

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:41 am

SwansQuaker83 wrote:Must admit I'm extremely concerned... maybe some help is needed... McLaren seems to be there a lot... heard he was there yesterday with Johnson... wonder if he fancies helping out a bit when he can....

Or sizing up more of our players

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:42 am

Why not get the reserve team coach/manager involved as our mates at Tesco keep saying every little helps.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Honestly, i don't know. It's the defence that needs sorting out first and foremost though. We just need to start picking up points, and i wouldn't say no to a bunch of 0-0's. It's the lack of discipline that is alarming.

If anything, I think Styche is fine up top on his own. You can make an argument for deploying Syers as an attacking midfielder just off him, but we need two central midfielders to can stick a foot in and help out the defence. Of the existing players, it'd be Turnbull, Scott and Galbraith that could maybe do that (obviously Galbraith may be needed at left back). I'm fairly sick and tired of seeing the team sheet and knowing stupid goals are going in, because the team is far too attacking. We need to adopt a safety first approach. Gainsborough being the perfect example. Drawing there would've been absolutely fine. We put an attacking team up and crumbled at the back. Again.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:58 pm

I accept we have had some tough games under TW but when your 4th bottom most games look tough on paper and we need to find a solution. As others have said I really want TW & AW do well, nice blokes, both keen to work for the club, a connection with Darlo ect. I also don’t think we have folks lined up who want the job. So for me we work with what we have got.

With that said what worries me most is that I don’t see much joined up thinking from the management team. The starting 11, the formation and even the style of play changes game to game. Which leaves me thinking it’s more a desperate attempt to find something that works than actually thinking what is best for what we have got available. I am left with too many questions after each game as to the game plan.

• The Gainsborough debacle was terrible so many holes to pick.
• If as it seems we played 3-4-3 on Saturday with I think Mills, Styche and Saunder’s up top is that the game to drop Turnbull and play a very forward thinking Syers.
• When you’re looking at your subs, you MUST be thinking why am I putting them on the bench, on Saturday what will Turnbull, Caton, Scott, Portas and Gillies give me off the bench how do I see myself using them? Saturday he seemingly didn’t want to try any of them. So I presume he thought the 11 we had had the best chance of stealing a goal. Yet I’m pretty sure most felt Mills and Saunders were getting little joy and a change would do no harm.
• When he did make his forced change the team totally lost shape, how does that happen? (partially when it was Collins an expected change). How can you think pre game, well there is a good chance Dom may have to come off, I know if that happens Thommo to LWB is the answer.
• As were getting caught out leaving two back on corners how do I stop that? do we leave 3 back? am I leaving the right 2 back? should one of those 2 have pace (i.e. not Collins).

I need to see more from the management team so that I can have a belief in what they are trying to do. Seems he has decided to go with 3-4-3 again on Wednesday. Its not a formation I like but if he feels it is then I expect to see 10 players knowing the roles they are being asked to play, otherwise its not the right formation and I’ll be left wondering why he thinks it can be.

Wednesday will be a tough game, but we can’t go into it thinking Let’s get it out of the way then get going again on Saturday. I don’t want to see another experimental formation and hoping something sticks. TW have a plan then have a plan B and after that a plan C and let’s get these lads playing the way I am certain they can. The manager’s job is to get the best out of what he has and I am sure we have enough within this current crop of players to stay up so if we don’t then where does the blame lie.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:43 pm

Agree with all of that above. Right now it has almost been like he's been throwing **** at the wall until something sticks. That's not good enough. We need a defined system and way of playing. It especially needs to be something to stop us conceding so many goals.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:49 pm

I just hope we can scrape enough points together to keep our heads above Nuneaton and Gainsborough. Nuneaton were by all accounts depressingly bad on Saturday and the Gainsborough boss said his side were like a chucked together "pub team" against Blyth. Given our squad and the resources put in, it would be a catastrophic failure if we can't keep our heads above water. But given the way the dreadful Gainsborough picked us apart so easily in the first half and the way we generally leak goals at an alarming rate, I can't say I'm brimming with confidence. And a lot of the strugglers have been dipping into the loan market in a desperate bid to stave off the drop.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:52 pm

Gainsborough play Nuneaton on Saturday

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:08 am

H1987 wrote:Agree with all of that above. Right now it has almost been like he's been throwing **** at the wall until something sticks. That's not good enough.
I think this pretty much sums up Wright's first three months in charge. The fact he has no idea of his strongest team or even style of play is not good enough.

Salford is his 10th game in charge.

Wright's current record is W1 D1 L7.

To compare, that's exactly the same record as Colin Todd from his opening nine games. Staunton had 2 wins and 7 defeats. And that was with a terrible team in a stronger league. Theoretically this team should be far more competitive in its respective division than the 09/10 embarrassment.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
H1987 wrote:Agree with all of that above. Right now it has almost been like he's been throwing **** at the wall until something sticks. That's not good enough.
I think this pretty much sums up Wright's first three months in charge. The fact he has no idea of his strongest team or even style of play is not good enough.

Salford is his 10th game in charge.

Wright's current record is W1 D1 L7.

To compare, that's exactly the same record as Colin Todd from his opening nine games. Staunton had 2 wins and 7 defeats. And that was with a terrible team in a stronger league. Theoretically this team should be far more competitive in its respective division than the 09/10 embarrassment.
Tell you what Gramps, let's keep on comparing.... Craig Stod wrote in the Echo on Saturday that Gray only got one win in his last 11 games! So let's add him on to the list of shame.

Yet he was the manager who built that particular team, and had Beck/Bartlett and Ferguson at his disposal. This isn't having a pop at Gray (don't get me started) I just make this point to illustrate that T.W has inherited a big mess, a mess not of his own making, and one which seems to be taking a bit of sorting out.

I believe he will get things right, eventually.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!