Rose Tinted View 2018

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Neil Johnson
Team Supported: Darlington

Rose Tinted View 2018

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Setting aside the long term issues and aspirations, it seems the club can now concentrate on the football side more, rather than dealing with Martin Gray's ego and his financially damaging statements.

The team are attempting to play a better, more entertaining and effective, brand of football. More pace and less fear?

The club is now going to be reaching out more into the local community, rather than fans only for financial support.

The new stand will provide a much more comfortable match day experience for those choosing to sit. Terracing would be great, but can wait until crowds build.

More emphasis on harnessing our relatively large gate money & fundraising for this league, onto the team, rather than facilities, should get us back into play-off and promotion contention at some time.

This disrupted season may not see Darlo reach a play-off place, but the remaining season is an opportunity to develop another 3 or 4 youngsters for the first team squad next season.

I liked the in-season friendly concept and hope it can be repeated with more balanced XIs, as it gives an opportunity to play young prospects and experiment with the bench warmers.

We all know that things don't usually go rosy for Darlo, but I am a lot more optimistic than 3 months ago.

Vodka_Vic

Re: Rose Tinted View 2018

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:12 pm

Agreed on most points. Wish I shared your optimism on finishing comfortably mid-table.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:Setting aside the long term issues and aspirations, it seems the club can now concentrate on the football side more, rather than dealing with Martin Gray's ego and his financially damaging statements.

The team are attempting to play a better, more entertaining and effective, brand of football. More pace and less fear?

The club is now going to be reaching out more into the local community, rather than fans only for financial support.

The new stand will provide a much more comfortable match day experience for those choosing to sit. Terracing would be great, but can wait until crowds build.

More emphasis on harnessing our relatively large gate money & fundraising for this league, onto the team, rather than facilities, should get us back into play-off and promotion contention at some time.

This disrupted season may not see Darlo reach a play-off place, but the remaining season is an opportunity to develop another 3 or 4 youngsters for the first team squad next season.

I liked the in-season friendly concept and hope it can be repeated with more balanced XIs, as it gives an opportunity to play young prospects and experiment with the bench warmers.

We all know that things don't usually go rosy for Darlo, but I am a lot more optimistic than 3 months ago.
I think you were definitely wearing rose tinted glasses when you wrote this.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:14 pm

I'll take stopping up by the skin of our teeth at this point in time.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:43 pm

What gripes me is the stadium and the "match day experience" - I would love to know are we any financially better off being in bed and being shafted by the rugby club.
I arrived quite late for the game, a few mins before kick off - and could not get a good view at all. Secondly I was talking to a Steward who had, had a run in with an upper member of the rugby club who wasn't happy because they could not get to their parking spot because it was so busy. Then there's all the profits from the bar and food - are we getting any profit from it? If not then I certainly wont be purchasing anything that benefit the rugby club. The rugby club would have gone bust if it was not for Darlington FC.
I don't see any solutions for our current ground issues - the Arena is too big - a rich benefactor is a no no - and the Council want nothing to do with us.
Oh and another point before and after the match on Grange Road/A167 its only a matter of time before there is an accident with cars/taxis pulling in making drop offs, people crossing the road - the council are going to be seriously liable if anything happens - the paths need widening and there needs to be some bays for people to make drop offs.
Moan over. Sorry to hijack a positive post.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:20 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:What gripes me is the stadium and the "match day experience" - I would love to know are we any financially better off being in bed and being shafted by the rugby club.
I arrived quite late for the game, a few mins before kick off - and could not get a good view at all. Secondly I was talking to a Steward who had, had a run in with an upper member of the rugby club who wasn't happy because they could not get to their parking spot because it was so busy. Then there's all the profits from the bar and food - are we getting any profit from it? If not then I certainly wont be purchasing anything that benefit the rugby club. The rugby club would have gone bust if it was not for Darlington FC.
I don't see any solutions for our current ground issues - the Arena is too big - a rich benefactor is a no no - and the Council want nothing to do with us.
Oh and another point before and after the match on Grange Road/A167 its only a matter of time before there is an accident with cars/taxis pulling in making drop offs, people crossing the road - the council are going to be seriously liable if anything happens - the paths need widening and there needs to be some bays for people to make drop offs.
Moan over. Sorry to hijack a positive post.
You're concerns are shared by a good few on here. Met a ST holder yesterday and they had purchased a car park ticket. They turned up at 2-30 and were told to basically clear off as rugby players for the second team had taken all the spaces and there was nowhere for them to park. Things like this need to be sorted out or we will end up losing some of remaining diehard fans.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:28 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:What gripes me is the stadium and the "match day experience" - I would love to know are we any financially better off being in bed and being shafted by the rugby club.
We'd have been stuck in the Evostick for the last 18 months with no ability to compete for promotion, so I'm fairly sure we'd be in a worse position.

Profits for anyone from the bar and food will be minimal - it is a service that is there for people if they wish to use it. If the rugby club were to stop providing this service then the Football Club don't make any more money than at present and to be honest you probably lose a few fans who value being able to get something to eat and drink when at the match. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!

Everyone has agreed there is room for improvement with the ground share (or whatever we're calling it) but the only way forward is to stop seeing each other as obstacles -I'm sure both sides are as bad as one another in this.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:33 pm

Spyman wrote:
We'd have been stuck in the Evostick for the last 18 months with no ability to compete for promotion, so I'm fairly sure we'd be in a worse position.

Profits for anyone from the bar and food will be minimal - it is a service that is there for people if they wish to use it. If the rugby club were to stop providing this service then the Football Club don't make any more money than at present and to be honest you probably lose a few fans who value being able to get something to eat and drink when at the match. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!

Everyone has agreed there is room for improvement with the ground share (or whatever we're calling it) but the only way forward is to stop seeing each other as obstacles -I'm sure both sides are as bad as one another in this.
I think the profits from the bar and catering will be pretty decent. If they can charge £3 for a manky burger in a breads bun, then that's a fair mark up.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:....

I think the profits from the bar and catering will be pretty decent. If they can charge £3 for a manky burger in a breads bun, then that's a fair mark up.

Not after buying said burger, bun onions relishes etc from supplier

Cost of equipment to cook/ heat food on

Cost of electricity / gas in kitchen

Wages of staff

Contribution to rates/ water rates etc

The profit margin is much less than you may think

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:47 pm

Wow it must be 3 months since the "you can make millions from food and drink sales" theory has come up...

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:54 pm

We have been refused entry into the Quaker lounge twice in the last month, once the rugby club were using it, not sure the excuse for the York game.I always buy 50/50 tickets rather than food or drink, that will never change until we see decent signage to indicate that the football club are some part of BM.Really does my head in the attitude of DRFC at times and we know it is a long shot regarding the sporting village but if everything were to be to our benefit....mmmmm.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:02 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:We have been refused entry into the Quaker lounge twice in the last month, once the rugby club were using it, not sure the excuse for the York game.I always buy 50/50 tickets rather than food or drink, that will never change until we see decent signage to indicate that the football club are some part of BM.Really does my head in the attitude of DRFC at times and we know it is a long shot regarding the sporting village but if everything were to be to our benefit....mmmmm.

Everything won't be to our benefit though. Any shared facility is going to require compromise from all involved.

DRFC have had Blackwell Meadows to themselves for years and are now live-in landlords. There'll be a lot of people there who have had it one way for years and don't see why they have to make concessions all of a sudden over things they've taken for granted - just like many Darlington fans don't see why we shouldn't be allowed to make the place our home how we want it, because that's what we've always been used to.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:15 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:We have been refused entry into the Quaker lounge twice in the last month, once the rugby club were using it, not sure the excuse for the York game.I always buy 50/50 tickets rather than food or drink, that will never change until we see decent signage to indicate that the football club are some part of BM.Really does my head in the attitude of DRFC at times and we know it is a long shot regarding the sporting village but if everything were to be to our benefit....mmmmm.

Johnson alluded to the fact that the contract we have is not good. The long term strategy includes revenue streams such as 4g pitches etc... I think it's high on his agenda to look at the contract and potentially renegotiate... parallel to this is the potential sporting village...

Every week you hear stories about negative experiences due to the Rugby Club... Personally, barring one or two occasions I have tended to stay out of the bar... I drink in town pre match and buy 50-50s with my money rather than hand it to them...

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:31 pm

Whilst I wouldn’t wish to see the half time raffle diminished, I only purchase 1 ticket each game and any other money goes into the buckets - 100% goes to the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:38 pm

spen666 wrote:

Wages of staff

Well manky burger would probably cost 20p, bun 20p, onions not provided, relish about 5p. Equipment to heat things up would be negligible as they would have been bought previously for functions. Cost of electricity 10p. I believe as they are not being run on a professional basis, some of the staff volunteer to help the rugby club. I don't think my burger would have any effect on the rateable value or the water rates. So profit from my manky burger will be well over £2, nice earner for DRFC.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:42 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
spen666 wrote:

Wages of staff

Well manky burger would probably cost 20p, bun 20p, onions not provided, relish about 5p. Equipment to heat things up would be negligible as they would have been bought previously for functions. Cost of electricity 10p. I believe as they are not being run on a professional basis, some of the staff volunteer to help the rugby club. I don't think my burger would have any effect on the rateable value or the water rates. So profit from my manky burger will be well over £2, nice earner for DRFC.

Dream on mate, dream on.

Its a bit like suggesting it only costs the cost of the fuel to run your car and ignoring the depreciation, tax, wear and tear, insurance etc.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:57 pm

That's not an entirely unrealistic margin of profit on a burger (say 2 quid), but i'm not sure how many some people think are sold on a match day. Maybe 100 when we have a crowd of 1,000ish? That's 200 quid, and the above isn't thinking of wages for people there. While some volunteer, i'd imagine not all of them do. 3 hours of minimum wage for a few workers. There's not a huge amount to be made.

Yes, obviously they'll make some money, but not a huge amount. As alluded to above, it's more of a fan service than a gold mine. You need a decent footfall to make a decent profit out of it, but it's far from everyone in the ground having something to eat. Personally, i very rarely eat at a 3 kick off game. It's a weird time to eat, and if i'm off to the match i usually have a decent lunch. I'm sure i'm not alone in that. In fact, 1 in 10 buying a burger might be overestimating it. (Yes, obviously they sell other stuff as well, i'm sure they'll be getting a GP of around 60-70% on stuff, but it doesn't amount to a great deal).

It's not worth falling out about. I do think some of our fans need to lose the chip on their shoulder, i usually go in the bar and have a pint and i've never felt unwelcome. I don't mind the rugby club getting a couple of quid off me, christ i'd sooner give money to a small, local sports club than wetherspoons, for example. I do think it's worth negotiating an arrangement where we get another TV with freeview so Sky Sports News can go on so we can see other scores, and maybe some Darlo memorabilia can decorate the place on a match day though. I can't see why that'd be an issue.

Perhaps we can crowd fund a sign with 'HOME OF DARLINGTON FOOTBALL CLUB' on a sponsor board on the back of the new stand? Or we could even name the stand. That'd maybe start to make it feel a bit more homely.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Spyman wrote:

Everything won't be to our benefit though. Any shared facility is going to require compromise from all involved.

DRFC have had Blackwell Meadows to themselves for years and are now live-in landlords. There'll be a lot of people there who have had it one way for years and don't see why they have to make concessions all of a sudden over things they've taken for granted - just like many Darlington fans don't see why we shouldn't be allowed to make the place our home how we want it, because that's what we've always been used to.
Careful, you're in danger of talking sensibly.

Compromise and rational dialogue with the rugby club?

No, no, no. It's got to be paranoid conspiracy theories, bitterness and plenty of twisting on about trivial matters. Everyone hates us and is against us remember. And nothing is ever the fault of Darlington FC or its supporters.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:23 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Well manky burger would probably cost 20p, bun 20p, onions not provided, relish about 5p. Equipment to heat things up would be negligible as they would have been bought previously for functions. Cost of electricity 10p. I believe as they are not being run on a professional basis, some of the staff volunteer to help the rugby club. I don't think my burger would have any effect on the rateable value or the water rates. So profit from my manky burger will be well over £2, nice earner for DRFC.
So the vast majority of profit is made due to lack of salaries because it might be volunteer staff from the rugby club. That is justification as to why we could make a profit. That is up there with the most idiotic statement you have ever made Pete...right up there.