Darlington FC V Salford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Re: Darlington FC V Salford

Post by grimsbyquaker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:TW and RS came over well in their interviews. I’d love nothing more than a big turnaround in our fortunes, starting this weekend. I have to believe TW is still the man for the job (he was the only candidate by the sounds of it).
He wasn't.

And if you think Wright's incessant clichefest was impressive, to put it politely, I think you're easily pleased.
I thought he said what he could say, as did Reece. He spoke well, with honesty and accuracy. Not a cliche in sight...no excuses offered. What would you have him say?

HarryCharltonsCat
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:47 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:GH I hope you’re right. I’d love TW to turn it round but our record is woeful. I fear something will have to give if we come home empty handed on Saturday

Are you implying that the manager gets sacked? If so I disagree.

It would mean yet another 3 or 4 week wait with no manager - and then who would we end up with? How long would it take to settle the players down yet again? How much would it all cost? It's not a good idea.

Also in one of your other posts you say that if we go down we will never come back up ( or words to that effect) but, why? I can't see many fans falling away, we've made the transition to B.Meadows and sorted the "Gray" issue out. I reckon that we won't go down but if we do it won't prove terminal.

I know we're in a bad place, I know results have been dire, but yet another change would be counter productive.
My worry re a relegation is not fans/attendance etc but our ability to recruit good players. We wouldn’t be able to compete locally for the best possible talent as they’d bypass us straight for Spennymoor, Blyth, South Shields and maybe even Pools. Once in that situation we’d be stuck in a negative cycle imo
We can't compete with them now.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:48 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Personally I don't think he can. He's taken a side within reach of the play-offs and turned them into one of the relegation favourites with an eye-wateringly bad run of results that rank among the worst starts of any Darlington managers. The TW/AW pairing just hasn't worked.
Good post, you've put your views down well, however I don't agree with the above paragraph.

He (Wright) took a side that was playing badly and dropping down the table then continued on with the same luckless form. Gray only won once in his last 11 games - a record that is very similar to Wright's record now, but funnily enough I don't remember anyone calling for Gray to be sacked, even though it was becoming obvious that he'd run out of steam - not to mention the trouble he'd caused/ oops just did.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:51 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:What would you have him say?
"I resign" would be ideal.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:55 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Personally I don't think he can. He's taken a side within reach of the play-offs and turned them into one of the relegation favourites with an eye-wateringly bad run of results that rank among the worst starts of any Darlington managers. The TW/AW pairing just hasn't worked.
Good post, you've put your views down well, however I don't agree with the above paragraph.

He (Wright) took a side that was playing badly and dropping down the table then continued on with the same luckless form. Gray only won once in his last 11 games - a record that is very similar to Wright's record now, but funnily enough I don't remember anyone calling for Gray to be sacked, even though it was becoming obvious that he'd run out of steam - not to mention the trouble he'd caused/ oops just did.
As has been pointed out to you before though, Gray had a track record of turning things around.

Three promotions, two league titles and a top five finish the year before gets you credit in the bank.

Wright's record is one of mediocrity. But it's not just the form. It's the lack of consistency, coherence, ideas.

Gray had a plan. Granted it was one dimensional and faltering but at least it was something. Wright's persistent chopping and changing shows he doesn't even have a plan.

And as well, under Gray we were mid-table and not anywhere near relegation. Now we're in the bottom three so it raises the stakes.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:02 pm

Previous 9 games before TW took over we gained 9 points, not great.
9 league games with TW in charge, 4 points, absolutely dreadful.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
And my replacement is...

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:40 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Previous 9 games before TW took over we gained 9 points, not great.
9 league games with TW in charge, 4 points, absolutely dreadful.

I see what you're saying - I still feel Wright's had a lot to deal with and a tough run of fixtures. and as said in another thread needs more help. Gray had a crew twice the size of what we have now and there's nothing wrong with getting extra ideas and help on board to spread the work load/canvass opinion etc...

Let's see where we are after the next 5 games. My opinion hasn't changed because of last night, forcing Wright out now would be stupidity.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
As has been pointed out to you before though, Gray had a track record of turning things around.

Three promotions, two league titles and a top five finish the year before gets you credit in the bank.

Wright's record is one of mediocrity. But it's not just the form. It's the lack of consistency, coherence, ideas.

Gray had a plan. Granted it was one dimensional and faltering but at least it was something. Wright's persistent chopping and changing shows he doesn't even have a plan.

And as well, under Gray we were mid-table and not anywhere near relegation. Now we're in the bottom three so it raises the stakes.
Did Gray really have a track record of turning things around? Yes we had the odd dodgy run but these were blips. This season showed that even Gray struggled to get things right when it was more than a blip. Plus his usual answer to any blip was get some new signings in and cost the club even more money.
You are correct that Wrights chopping and changing isn't doing him any favour though. If he changes it again on saturday, other than replacing Collins, then it won't help matters at all.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
And my replacement is...
Interesting if you look at some of the profiles of recently appointed managers in the NLN.
Phil Parkinson was recruited from a division below (Evostik Prem) from Nantwich having turned them from strugglers to play-off hopefuls.

Boston recently appointed Craig Elliott having been a great success at Shaw Lane and again recruited him from the Evostik Premier.

Both teams appointed young up and coming managers from lower leagues with varying degrees of success. Both have turned them round.

Are there other managers with similar profiles?

As Loid Lucan and Darlogramps have said, we knew we weren't getting that profile with TW.

Out of interest, question for Darlogramps here, would you have re-advertised the post back in October when the field was possibly not as strong as hoped for initially?

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:01 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
And my replacement is...
As much as many people are less than convinced by TW/AW and I'm not sure myself, has anyone stopped to think the implications on the playing staff if TW were to leave? Trotman, Mills & Styche where would that leave their loyalties? They were brought in by TW what would stop them leaving and we are back to a paper thin squad if it isn't already. Let's also face facts, at this point in the season there will not be a queue to take on the role, so likely that Turnbull and Browny caretake for the remainder of the season, with what we have already.

Got to just hope we get something on Saturday and ease the tension or this could get very ugly! :thumbdown:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
And my replacement is...
Interesting if you look at some of the profiles of recently appointed managers in the NLN.
Phil Parkinson was recruited from a division below (Evostik Prem) from Nantwich having turned them from strugglers to play-off hopefuls.

Boston recently appointed Craig Elliott having been a great success at Shaw Lane and again recruited him from the Evostik Premier.

Both teams appointed young up and coming managers from lower leagues with varying degrees of success. Both have turned them round.

Are there other managers with similar profiles?

As Loid Lucan and Darlogramps have said, we knew we weren't getting that profile with TW.

Out of interest, question for Darlogramps here, would you have re-advertised the post back in October when the field was possibly not as strong as hoped for initially?
Good question. We couldn’t by all accounts get our preferred option(s). As you have said Vic, GB and PT didn’t pull up any trees. TW obviously fitted DJ’s bill and we have to trust in that judgement. If we win our ‘easier’ games as people keep saying, then this issue will soon get kicked into the Long grass as we inch back up the table and are ‘safe by Stockport’ (don’t fancy going there needing something to stay up). This is the NLN... no reason why TW should be any worse than anyone else. He still appears to have the dressing room (MG lost half of them by the end?). However if we tank in these fixtures (not impossible by any means) then I think TW would walk. He’s a decent guy
Last edited by grimsbyquaker on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:26 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
And my replacement is...
As much as many people are less than convinced by TW/AW and I'm not sure myself, has anyone stopped to think the implications on the playing staff if TW were to leave? Trotman, Mills & Styche where would that leave their loyalties? They were brought in by TW what would stop them leaving and we are back to a paper thin squad if it isn't already. Let's also face facts, at this point in the season there will not be a queue to take on the role, so likely that Turnbull and Browny caretake for the remainder of the season, with what we have already.

Got to just hope we get something on Saturday and ease the tension or this could get very ugly! :thumbdown:
:clap:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:38 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote: Out of interest, question for Darlogramps here, would you have re-advertised the post back in October when the field was possibly not as strong as hoped for initially?
It's a fair question.

My information (from someone at Whitby Town FC) was that Hardy was ready to take over here. To the extent that he'd discussed with us and was happy to take the job. That could be rubbish but I have no reason to suspect I'm being bullshitted.

But Wright, after we were initially denied permission, resigned to join us.

At the time, presuming what I was told was correct, I'd have gone with Hardy. Would Hardy have done any better? There's no way to know.

So in answer to your question - at the time- I'd have appointed Hardy, meaning I wouldn't have needed to re-open the process.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:39 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Did Gray really have a track record of turning things around? Yes we had the odd dodgy run but these were blips. This season showed that even Gray struggled to get things right when it was more than a blip. Plus his usual answer to any blip was get some new signings in and cost the club even more money.
You've answered your own question here.
He did, using the resources provided to him at the time.

Now I was a big critic of him getting extra funds (I got massive stick for questioning the Liam Hardy deal).

But with three promotions, two league titles and a top five NLN finish, he certainly delivered with what was given to him. At least up until this season.

offside

Post by offside » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:09 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Gray ran out of finances to keep buying players NOT out of steam... Money got him the better quality players in them lower leagues and now he couldnt match clubs financially to make him look good he left #fact

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:27 am

Speaking of Gray, he’s signed yet another striker..

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/spor ... -1-8953147

How many they got on their books now? That wage bill must be sky high.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:33 am

offside wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Gray ran out of finances to keep buying players NOT out of steam... Money got him the better quality players in them lower leagues and now he couldnt match clubs financially to make him look good he left #fact

Yes, that's a big part of it - although if he'd been 'Darlo through and through' he might of knuckled down to one season of consolidation with the end game being to make his dreams and our dreams come true -- but later.

The play off fiasco was obviously going to have repercussions! I can understand Gray and players becoming despondent at this point.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 am

AndyPark wrote:Speaking of Gray, he’s signed yet another striker..

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/spor ... -1-8953147

How many they got on their books now? That wage bill must be sky high.
We've seen this so many times over the years, the bigger clubs in the league always bring in extras to strengthen themselves for the final push, while the smaller clubs sometimes can't keep it going and fade. York will be looking to pick off Blyth, S'moor and B.P.A. - and they probably will.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:22 am

I really do despair at some of the people on this board - TW and AW took over a losing team and a squad that quite frankly was at the end and had run out of steam. With very little in the kitty he has had to change things around and personally the players he has brought in have been good. I think some of the players left behind by Gray (and his two year deals) are the problem, in that they are not good enough at this level.
Lets face facts, we are part time, we have a small budget, we have an inexperienced young and hungry manager and assistant. Finally its not as if we are being gubbed every week, we are losing by the odd goal to some "better sides on paper". Gone are the days of Gray when we could steam roller through leagues when we were playing very small teams.
Finally, look at tweedle dumb and tweedle dee at Salford, I am sure the class of 92 have been close to firing them on many occasions as they have gone through sticky spells but they have stuck with them (much to my surprise) and to be fair its paying off.
People need to get a grip and see where were at. Are we ready for conference football and financially to go full time - no we are not - so we shouldn't expect to win week in week out.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:28 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I really do despair at some of the people on this board - TW and AW took over a losing team and a squad that quite frankly was at the end and had run out of steam. With very little in the kitty he has had to change things around and personally the players he has brought in have been good. I think some of the players left behind by Gray (and his two year deals) are the problem, in that they are not good enough at this level.
Lets face facts, we are part time, we have a small budget, we have an inexperienced young and hungry manager and assistant. Finally its not as if we are being gubbed every week, we are losing by the odd goal to some "better sides on paper". Gone are the days of Gray when we could steam roller through leagues when we were playing very small teams.
Finally, look at tweedle dumb and tweedle dee at Salford, I am sure the class of 92 have been close to firing them on many occasions as they have gone through sticky spells but they have stuck with them (much to my surprise) and to be fair its paying off.
People need to get a grip and see where were at. Are we ready for conference football and financially to go full time - no we are not - so we shouldn't expect to win week in week out.
Excellently put, lets get behind TW, AW & the team and they can start to deliver the results that we crave and need.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:49 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I really do despair at some of the people on this board - TW and AW took over a losing team and a squad that quite frankly was at the end and had run out of steam. With very little in the kitty he has had to change things around and personally the players he has brought in have been good. I think some of the players left behind by Gray (and his two year deals) are the problem, in that they are not good enough at this level.
Excellently put, lets get behind TW, AW & the team and they can start to deliver the results that we crave and need.
Agree with this.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:39 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Agree with this.
TW/AW will have my full vocal backing tomorrow but I can’t promise to fully substitute Andy Psrk’s shirt removal if/when we burst the ‘onion sack’ (Hodgson,D 1997)

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:44 pm

I really do despair at some of the people on this board.

It's nothing to do with needing to get a grip (BTW - if I said that people would be leaping down my throat).

It's simply that Wright has done badly and there's nothing to convince us that he'll turn it around. Not his previous record, not his spell in charge here. Nothing.

With a top half squad, Tommy Wright has taken us into the relegation zone, not put together a coherent plan in three and a half months, has lost eight of ten matches and not improved the squad.

We shouldn't expect to win every week - correct. But we shouldn't expect to collapse and demonstrate the same fragility week in, week out either. This squad is capable of more than Tommy Wright is currently getting out of them.

And if the players he's brought in have been good, why are we in the relegation zone? It seems a couple of decent performances is enough to convince people these days.

To compare this scenario with Salford is poor. Their management team had a history of success with Ramsbottom, and have eye-watering financial resources behind them. Wright has neither. I don't care about whether he's young or hungry, I care about whether he's good and right now, he's not.

Small budget? Not according to people who know better. General consensus is that it's a top half budget. Styche won't have come cheap. It doesn't take a great leap to work out this budget is not in the bottom three of the division. Yes we don't have the levels of Salford or Harrogate, but we're better off than plenty in this division.

If we win tomorrow there'll be people saying "Well in Tommy, you've proven the doubters wrong," etc. As if one game proves anything. And if he keeps us up, it proves nothing. This squad is better than 19th position. To me, this squad is capable of finishing at least in mid-table. We shouldn't be satisfied with scraping to survival.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

offside

Post by offside » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:44 pm

Totally agree with you there

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Darlogramps wrote: You've answered your own question here.
He did, using the resources provided to him at the time.

Now I was a big critic of him getting extra funds (I got massive stick for questioning the Liam Hardy deal).

But with three promotions, two league titles and a top five NLN finish, he certainly delivered with what was given to him. At least up until this season.
But hes never been in the situation that Wright has ended up in where he has been told players have to be sold, the wage bill has to be slashed and you still have to get the teams fortunes turned around. Up until the last year when DJ has been involved and got a grip on finances, Gray has been able to spend his way out of a blip.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Wright hasn't helped himself with his chopping and changing but we cant be getting into a situation of chopping and changing a manager every few months too. Just look up the road and see what good that has done them, relegation and probably administration too.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:53 pm

You only get into a situation of chopping and changing managers by making poor appointments and/or having no strategy. Wright to me was a poor appointment. You can't keep someone purely because getting rid of them looks bad.

And in fairness, Gray didn't just "spend his way out of a blip." He took us up repeatedly. His spending, regardless of whether it was right for us, did deliver us up the leagues. And I didn't hear many complaining when that happened.

I wasn't expecting Wright to get us into the play-offs. But neither was I expecting him to take us into the relegation zone.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 pm

We don't have a "small budget". Even with the cutback it's still better than most of the clubs in this league, bar the obvious ones. No-one is demanding National League football nor winning every week. But I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that given our squad we should be competitive in this league and, yes, sometimes win a couple of matches.

My fear is that what we have been witnessing in this nosedive down the league has a lot to do with leadership, organisation, tactics and managerial nous at the top, even given a tough run of games and the disruption the club has gone through. I don't like saying that. I had doubts when the appointment was made based on a lot of things but I desperately wanted TW to succeed. Like a lot of you I've invested a lot in this club and follow them home and away but I just fear we have got this one wrong. It would be great though if I have to eat my words.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Totally agree.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Darlogramps wrote:You only get into a situation of chopping and changing managers by making poor appointments and/or having no strategy. Wright to me was a poor appointment. You can't keep someone purely because getting rid of them looks bad.

And in fairness, Gray didn't just "spend his way out of a blip." He took us up repeatedly. His spending, regardless of whether it was right for us, did deliver us up the leagues. And I didn't hear many complaining when that happened.

I wasn't expecting Wright to get us into the play-offs. But neither was I expecting him to take us into the relegation zone.
You have got your point across onTW god knows how many times so why don't you just back off for now and get behind the club for a change.TEDIOUS.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk