Leamington v Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

50 years
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leamington v Darlo

Post by 50 years » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:24 pm

So pleased with that win.

Leamington were a physical team, strong in the challenge and used their body strength to "bully" players at times with the odd dodgy tackle early on, although in the main not a particularly dirty game except for the odd incident (Brown's clash being one of them).
Not a great first half, and TW made the right decision with Brown, as he would have been sent off if he had carried on (and good to see Turnbull go and bring Brown back to the bench after he had stormed off).
Pears had a solid game again in goal.
Heaton had another good game.
Syres made us look much more dangerous when he came on, running into space and creating opportunities (he did miss a great opportunity, although it was his run that made the opportunity).
Trotman and O'Hanlon looked good especially considering how little game time they have had, so should see improvement from them.
Thommo is a much better player under TW, and those goals should give him confidence to shoot more often.
Scott at times took too long on the ball as though not sure what to do with it.
Mills still does not look fit but clearly has skill.
Styche was busy and had a shot from half way after spotting keeper off the line (if it had gone it it would have been brilliant but a pass through to Mills looked more likely chance - Mill was not happy).
Turnbull made a big difference in midfield and this improved Wheatley's contribution. If he can just contain himself to running midfield (like he did in this game) instead of trying to do everything himself the midfield will be strengthened.
Catton was given space on the left and made the best use of it using the ball intellegently and going forward, where before he seemed to go sideways or backwards, best I have seen him play.

So not a brilliant game but just what the doctor ordered, and a good contingent from Darlo in support.

"Up the Quakers"

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:45 am

loan_star wrote:
jjljks wrote:Not at the game, but from radio commentary Caton did not seem to make the real difference. Will reserve judgement until I see the highlights on YouTube, but for all our sakes, hope Caton and the team have turned the corner and go on to save the season
You weren’t at the game but make a comment anyway! I was at the game and he did make a difference. Give the lad some credit when it is due!
Didn't realise that it was mandatory to attend before any comment could be posted.

Having now seen the highlights, Caton was almost unrecognisable from the benchwarmer we have seen (and I was there as season ticket holder) in past games, apart from his gloves. It was good to see him taking on defenders at pace, creating great chances and putting shots in on target. Would have boosted his confidence if one of his shots had gone in, but credit where credit due, he helped turn the game.

As TW said (in his video interview - I wasn't actually present but still feel qualified to post a comment), "that has got a monkey off our backs". Hopefully, Caton will continue to improve and contribute to the team so we can finish the season at least mid-table.

Brown is a major concern and TW did well to change things around. Can't question Brown's commitment but there is about his temperament when he feels aggrieved.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:25 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:I can't believe how people singled out Turnbull as a scape goat to our bad form, He is a very good player on his day , surely he is allowed an off day, it just shows on Saturday how he can change a game... Let's get behind EVERY player instead of slating them after a bad game it doesn't help our cause... We are Darlo
Darlo don't have many players, so it's even more important to support them, rather than apportioning blame to individual players, when inherited tactics and teamwork have been more contributory factors to poor results. As several new players and the new management are gradually bedding in there may a return to better form. I am just hoping that better individual confidence and team performances can keep us up this season. The finishing line up looked a good basis to start from.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 am

Attendance was 845. No figure on away fans as no segregation but easily 250 I would say. Their attendance in their previous home game was 372.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 am

Thanks for that, there looked like there were loads of Darlo at the game on the highlights.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 am

jjljks wrote:
Brown is a major concern and TW did well to change things around. Can't question Brown's commitment but there is about his temperament when he feels aggrieved.
TW did the right thing, but dont be too harsh on Browny - he has suffered a nasty head injury recently, so hes bound to be aggrieved if he thinks hes been elbowed deliberately?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:56 am

Brown's no use to us if he's sent off though.

He may well be justified in feeling aggrieved but nevertheless, as a senior player, he also has a responsibility to rise above any provocation, however difficult.

Channel the anger into getting the win, not trying to hack anything that moves.
Retaliating usually only benefits the other team.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:20 pm

jjljks wrote:
loan_star wrote:
jjljks wrote:Not at the game, but from radio commentary Caton did not seem to make the real difference. Will reserve judgement until I see the highlights on YouTube, but for all our sakes, hope Caton and the team have turned the corner and go on to save the season
You weren’t at the game but make a comment anyway! I was at the game and he did make a difference. Give the lad some credit when it is due!
Didn't realise that it was mandatory to attend before any comment could be posted.
Its not but your comment went against that of people who were actually there and only based on what you heard. Bit of a silly statement to make in my opinion.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:27 pm

Did he mean to say Did appear to make the difference, and the rests a misunderstanding from that?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:41 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Did he mean to say Did appear to make the difference, and the rests a misunderstanding from that?
Maybe, but if he did mean "did" then he should have picked up on this after my initial reply. The fact he didn't to me means that the original post is exactly how he meant it.