Supporter Liaison Poll

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Number 1 priority for improving matchday experience

Poll ended at Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Social media
13%
Outside Catering
44%
Bar
9%
Stewarding
No votes
Car Parking
19%
Retail
No votes
Online Ticketing
No votes
Match Day Programme
No votes
Other (please comment)
16%

Total votes: 32

DFC_ Supp_Liaison
Team Supported: Darlington

Supporter Liaison Poll

Post by DFC_ Supp_Liaison » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:03 pm

As the Darlington FC SLO I first want to hear your views on what needs improving at BM on a match day, away from the 90 mins on the pitch.Which area should be the number-one priority for DFC to tackle? This is the first step to improving the match day experience. Please vote & comment below:

If you can think of anything else, please let me know by reply.

AndyPark

Re: Supporter Liaison Poll

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:07 pm

Social Media.

It's an absolute shambles, I know the person running it can only do so much; it's the spam that is auto-generated with links to the website constantly - That does my head in.

There's no social interaction, no element of connecting with fans & stuff. It's went backwards in the last few years.

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:16 pm

AndyPark wrote:Social Media.

It's an absolute shambles, I know the person running it can only do so much; it's the spam that is auto-generated with links to the website constantly - That does my head in.

There's no social interaction, no element of connecting with fans & stuff. It's went backwards in the last few years.
Is that a match day experience issue though?

I fully agree that away from match days, the social media needs an overhaul. Too many links to different sites.
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:09 am

I voted for outside catering, as I think it has the potential to be a large earner for us. It's a pity you didn't have an option for being made more welcome by DRC. I know that this coming weekend on TV it'll just be international rugby, even though England don't play until Sunday, for the benefit of the couple of DRC members in the clubhouse.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:25 am

Anything that can improve the matchday experience in bad weather without breaking the bank.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:08 am

Totally agree Andy it's not good....

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:43 pm

I actually don't think any of the above are particularly bad. I think the stewarding has improved. The social media doesn't bother me, not sure what the issues are.

Depends what people's expectations are I suppose. I think for volunteers we do quite well

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:49 pm

For me, the biggest thing is the views. I appreciate some good work has been done this year in terms of moving the dugouts and also the new stand is being expanded, which will hopefully help, but it is still the stand out problem to me when we have a larger crowd.

The bar, could we not simply rectify some of the conflict by getting another TV and a freeview box in there, so Sky Sports news can be on, even if it's a rugby match day? It'd be nice to see some Darlington FC branding about on matchdays also, so it feels a little more like home. This is really minor though, to be honest.

I very infrequently eat at games, so can't really comment on the food situation. Although if there was, perhaps, some kind of Taylors pies available, i might be tempted into it :mrgreen:

Quaker0006

Post by Quaker0006 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:32 pm

Guess its different for different people. For me its easy. The views and atmosphere. Unfortunately not sure what can be done here. For me, and this is just a personal opinion, the tin shed is too far away from the goal, the angle of the seated stand doesnt make it appealing and the view round most of the rest isnt great. Dont feel on top on the players like we were.

I never thought id miss Bishops hill!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:44 pm

The results?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:28 pm

For me the main obstacle to an all round decent day is getting out of the car park.
I've learned to live with the relatively modest delay but, as we know, Jekylls become Hydes (or is it the other way round) when at the wheel of a car and I see lots (and I mean lots) of angry and frustrated people who may be disinclined to return.
My understanding was that there was going to be an exit from the car park onto Grange Road in the original scheme, which was presumably sacrificed for financial reasons. I'm also under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that this was something the Rugby Club were responsible for. I wonder if it will ever happen.
The current one way in and one way out arrangement was painfully exposed at the York game when the car park became full (to the exclusion of some parking season ticket holders, including me, at around 2:15). Vehicles were then trying to get in and out at the same time. This is what will happen whenever there is a good crowd and the Club is, understandably, keen to sell the extra spaces in the car park not taken up by season ticket holders.

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:58 pm

I really wanted to understand this point but I'm not sure what website is being referred to. Can you explain a bit more on what is wrong? And on the point of connecting with the fans - what is it that we had before that isn't happening now?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:09 pm

Quaker0006 wrote:Guess its different for different people. For me its easy. The views and atmosphere. Unfortunately not sure what can be done here. For me, and this is just a personal opinion, the tin shed is too far away from the goal, the angle of the seated stand doesnt make it appealing and the view round most of the rest isnt great. Dont feel on top on the players like we were.

I think the views are a fundamental problem, especially behind the goals. Unfortunately if we remain at BM this is an insurmountable problem. I have to say I'd go back to HP tomorrow if it was possible, but that's not going to happen I'm afraid.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:14 pm

en passant wrote:And on the point of connecting with the fans - what is it that we had before that isn't happening now?
We've never had it, that's the problem. The clubs Twitter & Facebook feeds are an absolute shambles.

Most clubs are engaging, interacting with fans, suggesting new incentives etc. Ours is s***. The grammar & punctuation is even worse, shitty constant links to so many different websites, alongside various s*** articles that have no relevance to the public.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:00 pm

Looking back at twitter pretty much Darlo related and only three retweets of vanarama, BBC and non-league paper, all Darlo/footie related. I've never seen it as problematic? I think we expect a bit too much of volunteers, but maybe there are people on here who could improve things?
And what would improve the views? Seats from Bishop, lengthening the pitch? When I see the difference in the ground from pre footie it's amazing! Back in the day at Everton and Bristol Rovers there were big curves behind the goals.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:04 pm

There's only so much the volunteers are allowed to do on the said accounts; Ray Simpson controls the rest of it...

Is he a paid employee?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:10 pm

H1987 wrote:For me, the biggest thing is the views. I appreciate some good work has been done this year in terms of moving the dugouts and also the new stand is being expanded, which will hopefully help, but it is still the stand out problem to me when we have a larger crowd.
Quaker0006 wrote:Guess its different for different people. For me its easy. The views and atmosphere. Unfortunately not sure what can be done here. For me, and this is just a personal opinion, the tin shed is too far away from the goal, the angle of the seated stand doesnt make it appealing and the view round most of the rest isnt great. Dont feel on top on the players like we were.

Darlo_Pete wrote:I think the views are a fundamental problem, especially behind the goals. Unfortunately if we remain at BM this is an insurmountable problem. I have to say I'd go back to HP tomorrow if it was possible, but that's not going to happen I'm afraid.

I agree with the above, however it's probably near to impossible to find a solution.

One of the main reasons I got hooked on watching Darlo years ago was because I enjoyed visiting Feethams so much.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:47 pm

H1987 wrote:For me, the biggest thing is the views. I appreciate some good work has been done this year in terms of moving the dugouts and also the new stand is being expanded, which will hopefully help, but it is still the stand out problem to me when we have a larger crowd.

The bar, could we not simply rectify some of the conflict by getting another TV and a freeview box in there, so Sky Sports news can be on, even if it's a rugby match day? It'd be nice to see some Darlington FC branding about on matchdays also, so it feels a little more like home. This is really minor though, to be honest.

I very infrequently eat at games, so can't really comment on the food situation. Although if there was, perhaps, some kind of Taylors pies available, i might be tempted into it :mrgreen:
They are Taylor's @2.50 so I go direct for £1...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:00 pm

AndyPark wrote:There's only so much the volunteers are allowed to do on the said accounts; Ray Simpson controls the rest of it...

Is he a paid employee?
I'm pretty sure he isn't, he also does an excellent job.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 pm

As an exile - social media.

As a home fan - reduce conflict with the rugby club and loads of the little things will go away

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:37 pm

Another side-note - Why don't the rugby club serve booze during the game?

The queues at half-time are ridiculous if you want a pint. You don't get served until the start of the second half for some games... Is there not any chance that they can open the bar, if anything, around 3.30pm? This gives people the chance to get beers in for themselves and friends instead of queues gathering around 3.45pm.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:57 pm

At Leamington they had booths serving beer. A few people were enjoying a drink during the game. It was how a sporting fixture should be.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:58 pm

Social media is just dangerous in the wrong hands. We got into hot water a few years ago because of 'opinions' posted by volunteers so the matchday twitter became fact based. I don't really think there is that much of a problem with it and given some of the comments from 'fans' on there I wouldn't really want to engage with them directly.

I think views is the main one I am picking up but that is going to require the investment in additional infrastructure.

I didn't realise that beer was allowed to be consumed within sight of the pitch at football grounds in England. I definitely think there is a Durham FA ruling around it as well but I might be completely mistaken.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:45 am

lo36789 wrote:Social media is just dangerous in the wrong hands. We got into hot water a few years ago because of 'opinions' posted by volunteers so the matchday twitter became fact based. I don't really think there is that much of a problem with it and given some of the comments from 'fans' on there I wouldn't really want to engage with them directly.

I think views is the main one I am picking up but that is going to require the investment in additional infrastructure.

I didn't realise that beer was allowed to be consumed within sight of the pitch at football grounds in England. I definitely think there is a Durham FA ruling around it as well but I might be completely mistaken.
Beer is allowed to be on sale in the ground at our level however as a club the Directors decided not to go down this route.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:54 am

AndyPark wrote:
en passant wrote:And on the point of connecting with the fans - what is it that we had before that isn't happening now?
We've never had it, that's the problem. The clubs Twitter & Facebook feeds are an absolute shambles.

Most clubs are engaging, interacting with fans, suggesting new incentives etc. Ours is s***. The grammar & punctuation is even worse, shitty constant links to so many different websites, alongside various s*** articles that have no relevance to the public.
It’s exactly these type of negative comments that would make most volunteers thing why in earth do they give there time.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:31 am

DarloDave40 wrote:Beer is allowed to be on sale in the ground at our level however as a club the Directors decided not to go down this route.
To be honest it is a pretty sensible approach. Ultimately there are reason it isn't allowed in professional football.

When does the actual league enforced ban come in? I don't recall seeing beer on the terraces in the National League Prem this season so maybe then?
AndyPark wrote:Why don't the rugby club serve booze during the game?
Probably change this to why don't "we" rather than the rugby club in which case.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:39 am

lo36789 wrote:
DarloDave40 wrote:Beer is allowed to be on sale in the ground at our level however as a club the Directors decided not to go down this route.
To be honest it is a pretty sensible approach. Ultimately there are reason it isn't allowed in professional football.

When does the actual league enforced ban come in? I don't recall seeing beer on the terraces in the National League Prem this season so maybe then?
I think so - I seem to remember reading about it in the aftermath of Fylde away last season

Considering some of our fans, I think our approach to beer sales is probably for the best

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:26 pm

DarloDave40 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:

It’s exactly these type of negative comments that would make most volunteers thing why in earth do they give there time.
Have I slated the volunteers, nope? If you look further up, I have said it’s Ray Simpson who controls the vast majority of the social media feeds and since he’s had the handles, it is crap.

The volunteers are only allowed to do so much. They’re prevented from doing more.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:21 pm

AndyPark wrote:
DarloDave40 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:

Have I slated the volunteers, nope? If you look further up, I have said it’s Ray Simpson who controls the vast majority of the social media feeds and since he’s had the handles, it is crap.

The volunteers are only allowed to do so much. They’re prevented from doing more.
Isn't Ray Simpson a volunteer?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:37 pm

DarloDave40 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Social media is just dangerous in the wrong hands. We got into hot water a few years ago because of 'opinions' posted by volunteers so the matchday twitter became fact based. I don't really think there is that much of a problem with it and given some of the comments from 'fans' on there I wouldn't really want to engage with them directly.

Beer is allowed to be on sale in the ground at our level however as a club the Directors decided not to go down this route.
Good decision from my point of view, the issues that would come with this just aren't worth it.

As with many I come from an era of Football League and Feethams when you weren't allowed to drink and the nearest bar was the Cricket Club anyhow.