New stand now under construction

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

shawry
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New stand now under construction

Post by shawry » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 am

divas wrote:Gantry has been looked into but there are a lot of potential issues to overcome from a H&S perspective depending on how it’s built
Really? Looking at the pics that others have it feels like a ladder up to the roof of the stand would be ok ;)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:04 am

If the sports hub came to fruition, can either or both of the stands be moved? I suspect this won't be the case or the costs involved would be prohibitive.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:06 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:If the sports hub came to fruition, can either or both of the stands be moved? I suspect this won't be the case or the costs involved would be prohibitive.
Yes - see recent netcafe with DJ.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:17 am

shawry wrote:
divas wrote:Gantry has been looked into but there are a lot of potential issues to overcome from a H&S perspective depending on how it’s built
Really? Looking at the pics that others have it feels like a ladder up to the roof of the stand would be ok ;)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I know!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:03 pm

We should ask Kev on what he would like as he has to stand there all game..

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 pm

Assuming the camera gantry's at other grounds are situation on concrete. Anything next to the seats would be placed on grass, which would cause issue. Likewise any building there would potentially encroach onto the easement area of the pipe (depending on it's location) but there are always solutions. I'm fairly certain those looking into the ground development are going to be factoring in the media requirements, considering that they are a part of the ground grading neccessities.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:25 pm

norwich darlo wrote:
H1987 wrote:Can we get that board in the middle to read 'HOME OF DARLINGTON FC'? :mrgreen:
Why not if we club together and pay for it.
Because the egg chasers would make us take it down.Happy to take a shitload of money of us but won’t acknowledge our existence at the place.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:27 am

I'm fairly sure they wouldn't, and they can't...

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 am

dickdarlington wrote:Assuming the camera gantry's at other grounds are situation on concrete. Anything next to the seats would be placed on grass, which would cause issue. Likewise any building there would potentially encroach onto the easement area of the pipe (depending on it's location) but there are always solutions. I'm fairly certain those looking into the ground development are going to be factoring in the media requirements, considering that they are a part of the ground grading neccessities.
I'm a million miles away from being an expert on gantry's and health and safety etc but a lot of clubs seem to position them over the top of the stands. I've no idea if thats feasable tbh for us. The BBC film at a lot of nonleague grounds for FA Cup ties and seem to come up with solutions so I am sure something can be done. It will boil down to what we're allowed to do and costs I guess. Ideally you'd want to be roughly on the half way line too.

For now we're stuck with what we've got I suspect but it isn't ideal on the balcony. Its a very tight squeeze and it gets worse when you factor in Darlo Fans Radio, other press and potentially the opposition bringing a camera to do their own filming as well. You've also got the factor as well that space becomes even more of a premium if hospitality is popular for a particular game.

There are probably more important considerations at the moment but I'd like to think at some point in the not too distant future we'd be in a position to solve the problem. It would be nice to have a dedicated position for ourselves and visitors. :)

dfclincolnshire

Post by dfclincolnshire » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:41 am

Would it not be easier moving all other media into the stand ? ie reporters commentators etc, leave the camera where it is, and with the space generated on the balcony, maybe generate a bit more selling space for hospitality?

We tend to worry about things that don't really matter

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:46 pm

dfclincolnshire wrote:Would it not be easier moving all other media into the stand ? ie reporters commentators etc, leave the camera where it is, and with the space generated on the balcony, maybe generate a bit more selling space for hospitality?

I don't think the view is the best from the stand, especially if fans stand up to see an attack on goal. I agree a solution needs to be found, that won't detract from the excellent commentary we get on Darlo Fans Radio.

dfclincolnshire

Post by dfclincolnshire » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:57 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
dfclincolnshire wrote:Would it not be easier moving all other media into the stand ? ie reporters commentators etc, leave the camera where it is, and with the space generated on the balcony, maybe generate a bit more selling space for hospitality?

I don't think the view is the best from the stand, especially if fans stand up to see an attack on goal. I agree a solution needs to be found, that won't detract from the excellent commentary we get on Darlo Fans Radio.
Majority of the media have been using the stand since before Christmas, and I haven't heard about any problems have you ??

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:34 pm

I'd imagine the requirements in future will be some kind of area with power sockets, wifi access and a desk area of sorts for journos. Could potentially be built into the stand of course. Filming, perhaps we can get a platform next to it - depends on the restrictions because of the damned pipe. Might be ok as it might not restrict access in the way a stand with foundations would.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:23 pm

Looking at the latest pics of the new section of stand i reckon there could be a great opportunity for a trial run for Kev at the blyth game. I reckon it would be really easy to install some kind of perfectly safe harness for him to be dangled from the top of one of the new beams. It could offer some great angles of the action and i'm sure we could rig up a pulley to send up the odd coffee to keep him going. It would also be a way of ensuring he doesnt obstruct anyones view of the action. Just a thought. I'm sure he's been lumbered with more hair-raising set-ups on our travels :shock:

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:47 pm

Last weekend's commentary was pretty off the wall but I think that might be a step too far! Health and safety.....

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:47 pm

Last weekend's commentary was pretty off the wall but I think that might be a step too far! Health and safety.....

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:54 pm

When us the new stand expected to be open for business?

divas

Post by divas » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:When us the new stand expected to be open for business?
As soon as it’s finished.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:38 am

Will the seats be available to anyone on match day or have they already been allocated to season ticket holders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:51 am

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Will the seats be available to anyone on match day or have they already been allocated to season ticket holders?

Some current seat holders have chosen to move I believe but that will free up spaces in the original stand and I believe current season ticket holders will be offered the opportunity to reserve a seat but beyond that there will be plenty available on a casual basis. It might finally allow us to try and get some families in there to try and secure the next generation of Darlo fans.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:40 am

LoidLucan wrote:Looking at the latest pics of the new section of stand i reckon there could be a great opportunity for a trial run for Kev at the blyth game. I reckon it would be really easy to install some kind of perfectly safe harness for him to be dangled from the top of one of the new beams. It could offer some great angles of the action and i'm sure we could rig up a pulley to send up the odd coffee to keep him going. It would also be a way of ensuring he doesnt obstruct anyones view of the action. Just a thought. I'm sure he's been lumbered with more hair-raising set-ups on our travels :shock:
I will respectfully decline this option.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:10 am

divas wrote:
The Golden Hairclip wrote:Will the seats be available to anyone on match day or have they already been allocated to season ticket holders?

Some current seat holders have chosen to move I believe but that will free up spaces in the original stand and I believe current season ticket holders will be offered the opportunity to reserve a seat but beyond that there will be plenty available on a casual basis. It might finally allow us to try and get some families in there to try and secure the next generation of Darlo fans.
Thanks Divas, it’s much appreciated - I’ve got some older relatives and friends with disabilities who’ve been been reluctant to come and stand but would definitely attend if seats are available. Good news all round!

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:25 am

TFDM wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Looking at the latest pics of the new section of stand i reckon there could be a great opportunity for a trial run for Kev at the blyth game. I reckon it would be really easy to install some kind of perfectly safe harness for him to be dangled from the top of one of the new beams. It could offer some great angles of the action and i'm sure we could rig up a pulley to send up the odd coffee to keep him going. It would also be a way of ensuring he doesnt obstruct anyones view of the action. Just a thought. I'm sure he's been lumbered with more hair-raising set-ups on our travels :shock:
I will respectfully decline this option.
Spoilsport

cbh89f

Post by cbh89f » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:05 am

Emesel
Team Supported: Darlington & Southampton

Post by Emesel » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:25 am

divas

Post by divas » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:04 am

The first one would be fine but obviously higher construct cost. The second scaffold type needs checking by someone qualified before every game as far as I’m aware

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:22 am

divas wrote:The first one would be fine but obviously higher construct cost. The second scaffold type needs checking by someone qualified before every game as far as I’m aware
:shock: Really?!? Based on some of the s*** I've climbed up that is quite a shock.... and maybe a little concerning.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:35 pm

Pretty sure it’s what the chap at Richardson’s mentioned when we were discussing it - definitely have to be checked very very regularly

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:42 pm

It's been posted before, but this is probably more likely the short/medium term solution...but a bit taller hopefully.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Q8JjfgO-pro/V ... M_0296.JPG

Set in line with the back row of seats in the stand, it should fit in the created space (afforded by the angle) between the stand and the pipe easement area.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:39 pm

The check by a qualified person involves jumping up and down five times. If you're still in the gantry and it's still in place then everything's OK but if you find yourself plunging down onto the concrete below then some adjustments may be required next time.