Supporter Liaison Poll

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Number 1 priority for improving matchday experience

Poll ended at Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Social media
13%
Outside Catering
44%
Bar
9%
Stewarding
No votes
Car Parking
19%
Retail
No votes
Online Ticketing
No votes
Match Day Programme
No votes
Other (please comment)
16%

Total votes: 32

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Supporter Liaison Poll

Post by AndyPark » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:52 pm

spen666 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
DarloDave40 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
en passant wrote:And on the point of connecting with the fans - what is it that we had before that isn't happening now?
We've never had it, that's the problem. The clubs Twitter & Facebook feeds are an absolute shambles.

Most clubs are engaging, interacting with fans, suggesting new incentives etc. Ours is s***. The grammar & punctuation is even worse, shitty constant links to so many different websites, alongside various s*** articles that have no relevance to the public.
It’s exactly these type of negative comments that would make most volunteers thing why in earth do they give there time.
Have I slated the volunteers, nope? If you look further up, I have said it’s Ray Simpson who controls the vast majority of the social media feeds and since he’s had the handles, it is crap.

The volunteers are only allowed to do so much. They’re prevented from doing more.
Isn't Ray Simpson a volunteer?
I’m sure he’s a paid employee, could be wrong.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:07 pm

AndyPark wrote:I’m sure he’s a paid employee, could be wrong.
I thought he was a volunteer?

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:55 pm

The biggest single impact on the match day experience is the lack of decent viewing spaces. A number of folk I’ve brought along with me have been put off by this.

Second to that, more toilets and more catering outlets.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:09 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
H1987 wrote:For me, the biggest thing is the views. I appreciate some good work has been done this year in terms of moving the dugouts and also the new stand is being expanded, which will hopefully help, but it is still the stand out problem to me when we have a larger crowd.

The bar, could we not simply rectify some of the conflict by getting another TV and a freeview box in there, so Sky Sports news can be on, even if it's a rugby match day? It'd be nice to see some Darlington FC branding about on matchdays also, so it feels a little more like home. This is really minor though, to be honest.

I very infrequently eat at games, so can't really comment on the food situation. Although if there was, perhaps, some kind of Taylors pies available, i might be tempted into it :mrgreen:
They are Taylor's @2.50 so I go direct for £1...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
if they do have Taylor's pork pies I have never seen one. Maybe sell out so quick. We could do with a decent burger and chips van a la HP. The sterile bar "atmosphere" is no place to eat, never mind drink.

Blackwell64

Post by Blackwell64 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:20 pm

I do think the viewing when the crowds go above 2,300-2,400 isn’t great for anyone under 6ft, but that’s not an easy solution to fix, terracing at the open end in time possibly, but no point until all this sports hub business is clearer.

Other than that a burger van perhaps brought in where the pipe restricts any building could be an option for large crowds/big games. And it is annoying how the rugby is on TV sometimes with two people out of all those in the bar watching it. (But I doubt there is much we can do about that).

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:24 pm

Nope their couple of members have priority over the TV, footie has no right to be shown inside a rugby clubhouse. I could have understood if it had been England, but it wasn't.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:43 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
H1987 wrote:For me, the biggest thing is the views. I appreciate some good work has been done this year in terms of moving the dugouts and also the new stand is being expanded, which will hopefully help, but it is still the stand out problem to me when we have a larger crowd.

The bar, could we not simply rectify some of the conflict by getting another TV and a freeview box in there, so Sky Sports news can be on, even if it's a rugby match day? It'd be nice to see some Darlington FC branding about on matchdays also, so it feels a little more like home. This is really minor though, to be honest.

I very infrequently eat at games, so can't really comment on the food situation. Although if there was, perhaps, some kind of Taylors pies available, i might be tempted into it :mrgreen:

if they do have Taylor's pork pies I have never seen one. Maybe sell out so quick. We could do with a decent burger and chips van a la HP. The sterile bar "atmosphere" is no place to eat, never mind drink.
I've had a Taylor's pork pie earlier in the season but stopped when I were ripped off that's why I go direct before the game...Maybe they don't sell them anymore??
I.E burger van you said the decent one at HP... I was far from decent it was another rip off , Chips were apaulling.. I don't mind paying a bit more for quality but hate been ripped off. Chips in the bar ain't that bad but the food is reasonably priced ie the sausage and bacon sandwiches and chips.. If it's good nosh people will pay..

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Nope their couple of members have priority over the TV, footie has no right to be shown inside a rugby clubhouse. I could have understood if it had been England, but it wasn't.
It's NOT our clubhouse It's a RUGBY club and RUGBY will always take priority can't people grasp this!!!!! Let's move on

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Personally I don't care what is on the televisions, if there is live sport on whether it be rugby, football, motor racing, cricket or horse racing I would expect it to be on.

The majority of us know the scores by the time we get to the bar anyway through social media so what is everybody's gripe. I use the lounge before the game and the main bar afterwards and find most people are having a bit of crack rather than watching the television.

People have got to get over this US and them attitude, all of the rugby members I have come across have been more than accommodating.

The ground and relationship is not perfect but we have only been there little over a year and it seems to be improving.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:15 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

I've had a Taylor's pork pie earlier in the season but stopped when I were ripped off that's why I go direct before the game...Maybe they don't sell them anymore??
I.E burger van you said the decent one at HP... I was far from decent it was another rip off , Chips were apaulling.. I don't mind paying a bit more for quality but hate been ripped off. Chips in the bar ain't that bad but the food is reasonably priced ie the sausage and bacon sandwiches and chips.. If it's good nosh people will pay..

When you say ripped off, do you mean they charged more than £2.50 or didn't give you any change?

Or are you saying £2.50 is a rip off for a pie?

If so then every club is ripping everyone off because £2.50 is about an average price for a pie in a ground, normally in most grounds you can get chips and peas as well, which I don't think we serve.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:21 pm

quakerste wrote:Personally I don't care what is on the televisions, if there is live sport on whether it be rugby, football, motor racing, cricket or horse racing I would expect it to be on.

The majority of us know the scores by the time we get to the bar anyway through social media so what is everybody's gripe. I use the lounge before the game and the main bar afterwards and find most people are having a bit of crack rather than watching the television.

People have got to get over this US and them attitude, all of the rugby members I have come across have been more than accommodating.

The ground and relationship is not perfect but we have only been there little over a year and it seems to be improving.
Don't go in the bar to be honest however I always thought the Rugby Club members went in the back room on DFC match days or is this not the case really? I actually would expect the football scores to be on during football days but could be a strange one if the Rugby members are using the same bar as the football paying customers.

Does the smaller back bar have a TV in and if it does is it the same channel as the bigger bar or can you have different channels in the back bar and bigger bar.

I can see why footy fans want to get the scores and have a pint but if the bar is shared then I guess it makes a tricky situation, worth looking into try and resolving though.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:30 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
quakerste wrote:Personally I don't care what is on the televisions, if there is live sport on whether it be rugby, football, motor racing, cricket or horse racing I would expect it to be on.

The RC are investing in a new Sky system that will allow more football on match days and with a view to the World Cup been shown.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:41 pm

DarloDave40 wrote:

The RC are investing in a new Sky system that will allow more football on match days and with a view to the World Cup been shown.
Now that sounds like progress. No rugby members frequent the main bar, they just hang out in the back bar. The RC club should be looking after the vast majority of footie fans, rather than the odd rugby fan.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:51 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
DarloDave40 wrote:

Now that sounds like progress. No rugby members frequent the main bar, they just hang out in the back bar. The RC club should be looking after the vast majority of footie fans, rather than the odd rugby fan.
The other side of that was that we were not going to use the bar at all in the initial agreement and a marquee was being setup.

You can't just expect the members to not want to watch the Rugby whether DFC are at home or not, however for both clubs it would be better to find a solution that works for everyone - like a new system that has been mentioned.

The whole point of Dave Collinge's role is to pick these items up, address them with the board and support a working solution or at least explain the position and where we are.

Hopefully a solution that fits for all will be found, no point just whinging when we have a process in place to look to resolve.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:13 pm

quakerste wrote:The majority of us know the scores by the time we get to the bar anyway through social media so what is everybody's gripe. I use the lounge before the game and the main bar afterwards and find most people are having a bit of crack rather than watching the television.
I couldn’t agree more.

I really like going in, and have found space plentiful, good beer, and a decent screen.

Anyone and everyone has a smart phone and is talking scores as the game progresses.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:28 am

1. The view if there is a big crowd. I appreciate however that not a lot can be done about that.
2. Catering. I’m not setting out to knock what we have but the in ground food (I can’t speak about the meals sponsors get) doesn’t seem to be as good as that on sale at one or two other grounds in this division. We might be able to pick up ideas from them and match what they do. I guess others can think of other grounds but the immediate example which springs to mind is Kidderminster. Almost everyone I spoke to when I arrived there told me that I just had to try one of their shepherd’s pies. It isn’t just something to eat it is something fans were actually looking forward to.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:14 am

Darlo Dodger wrote:1. The view if there is a big crowd. I appreciate however that not a lot can be done about that.
2. Catering. I’m not setting out to knock what we have but the in ground food (I can’t speak about the meals sponsors get) doesn’t seem to be as good as that on sale at one or two other grounds in this division. We might be able to pick up ideas from them and match what they do. I guess others can think of other grounds but the immediate example which springs to mind is Kidderminster. Almost everyone I spoke to when I arrived there told me that I just had to try one of their shepherd’s pies. It isn’t just something to eat it is something fans were actually looking forward to.
Kidderminster have won an award for their food, think it was the best pit at a footie game. I actually had one a couple of seasons ago and I was actually underwhelmed!! Agree though that we can learn from other clubs and see what works and can be realistically delivered.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:51 am

Out of curiosity when the stand is completed will the overall capacity be increased.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:13 pm

Beano wrote:Anyone and everyone has a smart phone and is talking scores as the game progresses.
Not really!

I'm not really concerned about the TV situation however it would be a little better to have some footy related stuff showing while the place is stuffed full of football fans - just a little doable thing that would make it seem more like home, also, I'll just point out that some people don't have smart phones :o some people don't have any type of phone :o In fact some people who have smart phones don't look at them much during the game, preferring to concentrate on the action :silent:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Average pie price in the premier league is £3.65 and a cuppa at QPR is £3.20. Sounds like £2.50 is a bargain!!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:43 pm

quakerste wrote:Out of curiosity when the stand is completed will the overall capacity be increased.
I actually hope it isn't, for the sake of being able to see stuff. Realistically, it could probably go up a 100 or so, as I think hard standing counts as four people deep, whilst there are six rows of seats, but then standing might account for a greater density of people than if they were sitting? Even if it were to go up, it'd be such a meagre amount it's probably not worth paying for having it reviewed, considering how often we're likely to get that large a crowd. It certainly won't be this season.

It's good of the rugby club to be putting some more football friendly facilities in the bar. I also like it in there, but i do agree that if you've got a bar full of football fans, who are buying your products, you could at least put what they want on the telly. It's a difficult balance for them, and the easiest way would be a freeview box and extra telly to watch Sky Sports news, but an extra sky box would be even better. At the end of the day, while it's their clubhouse, it also makes sense for them to make customers feel welcome, so they're inclined to spend more money. If they've got a bit of business sense about them (as well as not being daft, like some of our stubborn lot can be as well, by the way), they would do well to cater to both.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:51 pm

The bar issue was never an issue at HP... You could go get a pint 10 minutes before HT and could drink up in your own time afterwards... the times I've been in the bar at BM it hasn't opened until bang on HT... so what's now different...? The hosts?

Every single away fan I've spoken to this season has said what an utter shambles the bar situation is... for example, I stood and queued with a Bradford PA fan for nearly 25 minutes (about 7 minutes of which was queuing outside because they wouldn't open it until the whistle went), as I took my change the second half kicked off and we were both hastily encouraged to drink up... I literally necked my pint... Then I was told I couldn't use the toilet.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:58 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Average pie price in the premier league is £3.65 and a cuppa at QPR is £3.20. Sounds like £2.50 is a bargain!!
Yeah we are premier league like Ain't We????? Bargain for the same pie a mile away for a £1 to £2.50 because we are at a football match... Listen we are trying to attract people and make it affordable day out NOT rip our own fans OFF..That's all I'm saying

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:17 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:Average pie price in the premier league is £3.65 and a cuppa at QPR is £3.20. Sounds like £2.50 is a bargain!!
Yeah we are premier league like Ain't We????? Bargain for the same pie a mile away for a £1 to £2.50 because we are at a football match... Listen we are trying to attract people and make it affordable day out NOT rip our own fans OFF..That's all I'm saying
I'm not convinced that anyone will come to the match because the same pie is only marginally more expensive to buy than a mile away.

If you purchase food and drink at a football ground, an airport or a service station it is expensive. That is part of life.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:25 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Why should lower league pies be cheaper than a premier league pie when they’re exactly the same product? It’s the football on show that is of a higher standard, not the grub. Why is it ok for premier league teams (who are already loaded to make a £2.65 profit but “we” can’t make a £1.50 profit?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Are WE making a profit??

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:17 pm

AndyPark wrote:The grammar & punctuation is even worse
'It's went backwards in the last few years' - oh, the irony.....

divas

Post by divas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:35 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Are WE making a profit??

You were the one that said WE were ripping our own fans off.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:41 pm

It's all relative. Personally I have lunch before the game and tea when I get home avoiding the need for pie purchasing. Evening matches can be tricky!

divas

Post by divas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:46 pm

There is no doubt that the catering needs improving though and would add to the match day experience but I wouldn’t expect to be getting food for high street prices. I’d pay £3.50 as long as it was quality and represented value for money