York City

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

York City

Post by Darlo_CR » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:58 pm

Just been on Look North that their chairman is only willing to provide the £1 million they need to stay afloat if the supporters trust hand over their 25% stake in the club.
Last edited by Darlo_CR on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emdubya

Re: York City in trouble

Post by Emdubya » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:01 pm

So not in trouble yet then.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Emdubya wrote:So not in trouble yet then.
I'd definitely say they were in trouble, regardless of whether the Trust hands over the 25% that they own.

divas

Re: York City

Post by divas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:23 pm

There’s no way McGill would walk away now with the new stadium and the additional associated revenue coming along, especially as it’s finally started. Be interesting to see if the Trust try and call his bluff on that basis.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:30 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Emdubya wrote:So not in trouble yet then.
I'd definitely say they were in trouble, regardless of whether the Trust hands over the 25% that they own.
No, you just hope they are.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:42 pm

The way he is allowing Gray to bring in all these signings would frighten any owner to death, another 2 this week apparently which must be at least 8 by my reckoning since Gray was appointed.Just wonder if the trust are getting a little bit nervous?.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:47 pm

Since MG took over, he's brought in Adam Bartlett, David Ferguson, Daniel Rowe, Alex Pattison, Jonny Burn, James Gray, Raul Correia.

5 of those have all played for Darlington.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:06 pm

AndyPark wrote:Since MG took over, he's brought in Adam Bartlett, David Ferguson, Daniel Rowe, Alex Pattison, Jonny Burn, James Gray, Raul Correia.

Add Connor Brown to that list plus one more this week in addition to Pattison which would make NINE....my god if he fails to get them promoted with that budget he may as well pack in.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:08 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:Since MG took over, he's brought in Adam Bartlett, David Ferguson, Daniel Rowe, Alex Pattison, Jonny Burn, James Gray, Raul Correia.

Add Connor Brown to that list plus one more this week in addition to Pattison which would make NINE....my god if he fails to get them promoted with that budget he may as well pack in.

To be fair 3 of those are loans.

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:30 pm

Didn't the supporters group release a statement along the lines of current levels of spending being unsustainable? Just after MG was appointed?

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:37 pm

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:48 pm

lo36789 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

In the same time Tommy has brought in 9 in Mills, Trotman, Styche, Talbot, Pears, Heaton, O’Hanlon and two youth players in Glover and Parral. Albeit some are forced due to the York signings and the keeper situation but we have had a similar amount of in and outs at the same time.

Not saying that ours will be of the equivalent £££ but worth pointing out.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:05 pm

DFCAnth wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

In the same time Tommy has brought in 9 in Mills, Trotman, Styche, Talbot, Pears, Heaton, O’Hanlon and two youth players in Glover and Parral. Albeit some are forced due to the York signings and the keeper situation but we have had a similar amount of in and outs at the same time.

Yes but he lost 4 senior players plus our keeper was sent off and replaced by Pears and you cannot really include the young 16 year old kid.Silly to compare our signings with those at York.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:33 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
DFCAnth wrote:

Yes but he lost 4 senior players plus our keeper was sent off and replaced by Pears and you cannot really include the young 16 year old kid.Silly to compare our signings with those at York.

Ron, why can't you include youth signings? The MG Obsessives would be doing so if York had done the same.

"He's even signing teenagers he doesn't need!" would be the cry.

And are you saying York haven't had injuries, suspensions or departures of their own? Because that would be incorrect also.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:31 am

divas wrote:There’s no way McGill would walk away now with the new stadium and the additional associated revenue coming along, especially as it’s finally started. Be interesting to see if the Trust try and call his bluff on that basis.
I think that this is exactly the time he could walk away. He owns Bootham Crescent, the imminent sale of which will just about clear the Football Club's debts to his business (which are increasing daily). I make this assumption based on freely available information about his business's loans to YCFC on Companies House versus valuations for Bootham Crescent which have been published in the media.

Regarding the future for YCFC at the new stadium (which they don't own) - how bright that is depends on what rent they are paying and what share they get of the revenue streams along with all the other interested parties.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:59 am

wizardofos wrote:
divas wrote:There’s no way McGill would walk away now with the new stadium and the additional associated revenue coming along, especially as it’s finally started. Be interesting to see if the Trust try and call his bluff on that basis.
I think that this is exactly the time he could walk away. He owns Bootham Crescent, the imminent sale of which will just about clear the Football Club's debts to his business (which are increasing daily). I make this assumption based on freely available information about his business's loans to YCFC on Companies House versus valuations for Bootham Crescent which have been published in the media.

Regarding the future for YCFC at the new stadium (which they don't own) - how bright that is depends on what rent they are paying and what share they get of the revenue streams along with all the other interested parties.
Thinking about it, perhaps it would be a good time for the Trust to ask him for his shares. Although a shortfall between the proceeds of Bootham Crescent and his loans would scupper that.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:16 am

wizardofos wrote:
wizardofos wrote:

Thinking about it, perhaps it would be a good time for the Trust to ask him for his shares. Although a shortfall between the proceeds of Bootham Crescent and his loans would scupper that.
That's not practical though, when they are losing so much per week. There is no way the trust could meet the shortfall, without probably ditching the manager, losing loads of playing staff and going part time.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:23 am

They could be rattling buckets soon.

How embarrassing.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:32 am

Darlogramps wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
DFCAnth wrote:

Ron, why can't you include youth signings? The MG Obsessives would be doing so if York had done the same.

"He's even signing teenagers he doesn't need!" would be the cry.

And are you saying York haven't had injuries, suspensions or departures of their own? Because that would be incorrect also.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Point taken Gramps.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:38 am

Something familiar with the York City scenario which reminds me of another club who left a traditional town centre stadium, had a backer with mega ambitions, lost the footballing share, got asset stripped and ran up massive debts by not managing their budget against falling gates.

Not sure how that turned out, perhaps Martin Gray saw the same? ;)

Check out what was reported on their AGM about Chairman's rejection of Trust proposal
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yorkci ... _proposal/

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37 am

That was a very interesting article, surprised that their manager didn't attend and left it to David Penney to represent the management.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:19 am

Had a read of the article - fan ownership isn't perfect, but compared with losing 90k a month and thus being reliant on the generosity of one bloke who now seems to be in a power struggle with the Trust, I'd take it every day of the week.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:30 am

If I was a York supporter, I would be worried why the chairman wants 100% of shares and rejected a deal whereby the Trust retain a 5% share.

That refusal to allow the Trust even 5% of the shares would worry me

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:55 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:That was a very interesting article, surprised that their manager didn't attend and left it to David Penney to represent the management.
Or perhaps MG had learned his lesson about speaking to the real fans? :o

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:09 pm

MG only gets involved in off the field matters if it will benefit him and his budget.

I thought with 75% control you could propose changes to articles / approve a share issue.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:24 pm

Seems to me the only reason for wanting 100% control is because he is planning something he doesn't want to become public knowledge, maybe connected to the sale of Bootham Crescent.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:28 pm

Loans, creditors. All sounds very unreassuring.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:51 pm

dfc4me wrote:Seems to me the only reason for wanting 100% control is because he is planning something he doesn't want to become public knowledge, maybe connected to the sale of Bootham Crescent.

I was also thinking along similar lines. A 5% holding wouldn't allow the Trust to stop him doing anything, but it would entitle the Trust to know what was being planned/ proposed.

I would be worried about the majority shareholder if I was a York fan

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:56 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote: Silly to compare our signings with those at York.

I did mention the keeper situation, senior players leaving for York, the fact a couple are youth players and that York will be paying more. Not sure my post is silly, I wasn't really comparing anything - just pointing out the facts.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:07 pm

jjljks wrote:Something familiar with the York City scenario which reminds me of another club who left a traditional town centre stadium, had a backer with mega ambitions, lost the footballing share, got asset stripped and ran up massive debts by not managing their budget against falling gates.

Not sure how that turned out, perhaps Martin Gray saw the same? ;)

Check out what was reported on their AGM about Chairman's rejection of Trust proposal
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yorkci ... _proposal/
Interesting article with some scary figures contained!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!