Wright and White

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, botrash, charlie, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Wright and White

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:17 pm

Delighted to see them turning things around and proving the doubters wrong. I admit I was one of those doubters but it looks as though the players are taking to his system and cutting out the mistakes. Hats off to them both as well for keeping spirits high throughout the poor run of form as thats not easy to do!

Great work in the transfer market as well with Pears, Trotman, Heaton, O'Hanlon and Styche. They've made a huge difference!

Keep up the good work TW and AW! :clap:

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3711
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:55 pm

I wasn't one of the doubters, but yes - well done to the players and the management team.

We're still in a dicey position though, we have to keep it going.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11338
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:31 pm

I knew they'd turn things round and I'm pleased that I never doubted them. Good to see that a few of the doubters admit they may have got it wrong. Pity that some of the rest have gone very quiet on here.

tdk1
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by tdk1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:50 pm

I was very much doubting whether they could turn it round. Fortunately they seem to have taken on board the lessons both from the defeats and the victories, and long may it continue. A couple more wins in the next few weeks and I'll be breathing a lot easier. Funny, at 2-1 down v leamington I could not imagine a way we were going to get out of the relegation zone.

However, can we all wait until we are safe before we hail tw as a managerial mastermind? I'm happy to admit I was wrong, and it's looking that way just now. But let's not get cocky.

And one more thing. Can I just ask that all the people suggesting the players were inadequate and incapable of getting us up the table also hold their hands up? Our squad is looking pretty good just now, with just a bit of cover up top missing.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5930
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:37 pm

We were obviously lacking a bit of belief and luck in quite a few of the games leading up to the Leamington game. Sometimes all it takes is that bit of luck to return and it all falls into place. Plus add in the fact that Wright has been able to get a settled team out on the pitch.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:44 pm

tdk1 wrote: However, can we all wait until we are safe before we hail tw as a managerial mastermind? I'm happy to admit I was wrong, and it's looking that way just now. But let's not get cocky.

And one more thing. Can I just ask that all the people suggesting the players were inadequate and incapable of getting us up the table also hold their hands up? Our squad is looking pretty good just now, with just a bit of cover up top missing.
Well I never doubted TW for one second......

But in all seriousness, we've had two good performances in our three wins. Anyone who thinks Leamington was a good performance is talking rubbish.

I'm not going to have a damascene conversion on the basis of two good performances. I still have my doubts about TW, but fair play to him for the past few weeks. He's taken on board the criticisms, and, what do you know, we've improved.

But it can quickly be undone with a few bad results. And as you rightly point out, while I was doubting TW, plenty were doubting our players as not being good enough. They've proved me correct in demonstrating their ability.

It shouldn't have taken TW nearly a third of the season to find his strongest side from a good group of players.

But no one is more delighted at our turnaround than me.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:46 pm

loan_star wrote:We were obviously lacking a bit of belief and luck in quite a few of the games leading up to the Leamington game. Sometimes all it takes is that bit of luck to return and it all falls into place. Plus add in the fact that Wright has been able to get a settled team out on the pitch.
We weren't lacking luck. Confidence and consistency yes, but you don't have a run of 13 bad games because of bad luck.

The idea of luck is a fairytale to cover our own previous failures.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5930
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:We were obviously lacking a bit of belief and luck in quite a few of the games leading up to the Leamington game. Sometimes all it takes is that bit of luck to return and it all falls into place. Plus add in the fact that Wright has been able to get a settled team out on the pitch.
We weren't lacking luck. Confidence and consistency yes, but you don't have a run of 13 bad games because of bad luck.

The idea of luck is a fairytale to cover our own previous failures.
Of course we had some bad luck. One instance is when Trotman tried to clear the lines against Chorley, hit an outstretched leg and fell nicely in the box for them to equalise. Any other day that would have ended up either out of the ground or in their half of the pitch. Its not entirely down to luck as you seem to be implying that this is what I meant, however luck does play a part in it.

Darlo-and-Back
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
tdk1 wrote: However, can we all wait until we are safe before we hail tw as a managerial mastermind? I'm happy to admit I was wrong, and it's looking that way just now. But let's not get cocky.

And one more thing. Can I just ask that all the people suggesting the players were inadequate and incapable of getting us up the table also hold their hands up? Our squad is looking pretty good just now, with just a bit of cover up top missing.
Well I never doubted TW for one second......

But in all seriousness, we've had two good performances in our three wins. Anyone who thinks Leamington was a good performance is talking rubbish.

I'm not going to have a damascene conversion on the basis of two good performances. I still have my doubts about TW, but fair play to him for the past few weeks. He's taken on board the criticisms, and, what do you know, we've improved.

But it can quickly be undone with a few bad results. And as you rightly point out, while I was doubting TW, plenty were doubting our players as not being good enough. They've proved me correct in demonstrating their ability.

It shouldn't have taken TW nearly a third of the season to find his strongest side from a good group of players.

But no one is more delighted at our turnaround than me.

“Taken on board the criticisms”. If you genuinely think that then for one moment you don’t understand the mindset of a football manager, let alone the single mindedness of Alan White and a Tommy Wright.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Every club has bad luck and good luck in every single game though. It wasn't a factor in a our bad run, as you suggested.

But we went on a run of one win in 13 because our players weren't performing, our manager got his tactics wrong and we had no idea what our best team and system were. That has nothing to do with luck.

The fact some of our first teamers left didn't help either obviously.

But it's no coincidence that since TW has settled on a more consistent team and style, our performances and results have picked up.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tdk1
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by tdk1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:14 pm

And simplified. God how we needed to go back to basics. We were forced into it at leamington and suddenly... Click

Darlogramps
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:16 pm

Darlo-and-Back wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
tdk1 wrote: However, can we all wait until we are safe before we hail tw as a managerial mastermind? I'm happy to admit I was wrong, and it's looking that way just now. But let's not get cocky.

And one more thing. Can I just ask that all the people suggesting the players were inadequate and incapable of getting us up the table also hold their hands up? Our squad is looking pretty good just now, with just a bit of cover up top missing.
Well I never doubted TW for one second......

But in all seriousness, we've had two good performances in our three wins. Anyone who thinks Leamington was a good performance is talking rubbish.

I'm not going to have a damascene conversion on the basis of two good performances. I still have my doubts about TW, but fair play to him for the past few weeks. He's taken on board the criticisms, and, what do you know, we've improved.

But it can quickly be undone with a few bad results. And as you rightly point out, while I was doubting TW, plenty were doubting our players as not being good enough. They've proved me correct in demonstrating their ability.

It shouldn't have taken TW nearly a third of the season to find his strongest side from a good group of players.

But no one is more delighted at our turnaround than me.

“Taken on board the criticisms”. If you genuinely think that then for one moment you don’t understand the mindset of a football manager, let alone the single mindedness of Alan White and a Tommy Wright.
And if you think that, you'll fail at everything in the rest of your life. Ignoring criticism to be overcome adversity is a romantic notion, but it simply doesn't happen. If things are going wrong, you look at where to improve, you don't plough on under the guise of single-mindedness.

Trust me, there was nothing single-minded about TW when he was fielding a different side every week, or trying out multiple formations. Evidently he was changing his mind quite regularly.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo-and-Back
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Is this guy for real!!

Darlogramps
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Darlo-and-Back wrote:Is this guy for real!!
Yep, I am.

Feel free to disagree with me of course and I'll disagree with you. And feel free to challenge my point of view and explain why.

But let's not have another thread descend into a bitchfest about me. It happens too regularly.

So, why do you disagree with me?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5930
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:40 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Every club has bad luck and good luck in every single game though. It wasn't a factor in a our bad run, as you suggested.
Every club has bad luck and yet you say it wasn't a factor in our bad run. You either have bad luck or you don't. If you have bad luck then it is a factor!!

Darlogramps
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:49 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Every club has bad luck and good luck in every single game though. It wasn't a factor in a our bad run, as you suggested.
Every club has bad luck and yet you say it wasn't a factor in our bad run. You either have bad luck or you don't. If you have bad luck then it is a factor!!
I'd say the bad luck gets cancelled out by the good luck you have, and the fact other clubs also have bad luck. It's no different to any other club so can't be described as a factor.

It's like saying your club struggles because you have injuries. Well, every club gets injuries or suspensions over a season.

All I'm saying is you can't put the fact we were poor in terms of results for about a third of a season under TW down to luck.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5930
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:57 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Every club has bad luck and good luck in every single game though. It wasn't a factor in a our bad run, as you suggested.
Every club has bad luck and yet you say it wasn't a factor in our bad run. You either have bad luck or you don't. If you have bad luck then it is a factor!!
I'd say the bad luck gets cancelled out by the good luck you have, and the fact other clubs also have bad luck. It's no different to any other club so can't be described as a factor.

It's like saying your club struggles because you have injuries. Well, every club gets injuries or suspensions over a season.

All I'm saying is you can't put the fact we were poor in terms of results for about a third of a season under TW down to luck.
Thats why I said belief too. Get a bit of good luck and the belief can return.

LoidLucan
Posts: 2518
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:14 pm

I think a number of factors have helped in giving us a more solid look. They include sticking with a flat back four which the players look much more comfortable with. The three at the back experiment left us looking extremely exposed and starting a game at gainsborough with Thommo as a full back was inexplicable. The settled midfield with Turnbull and Wheatley at the heart is now working very effectively. Starting the vital game at Leamington with Turnbull on the bench and scott in midfield was a mistake that was thankfully rectified in the second half, helping us to turn it around. TW seems to be getting things right now and his signings have improved the side. I'm pleased that we are now showing signs of progress after a shaky start for TW.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:24 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Every club has bad luck and good luck in every single game though. It wasn't a factor in a our bad run, as you suggested.
Every club has bad luck and yet you say it wasn't a factor in our bad run. You either have bad luck or you don't. If you have bad luck then it is a factor!!
I'd say the bad luck gets cancelled out by the good luck you have, and the fact other clubs also have bad luck. It's no different to any other club so can't be described as a factor.

It's like saying your club struggles because you have injuries. Well, every club gets injuries or suspensions over a season.

All I'm saying is you can't put the fact we were poor in terms of results for about a third of a season under TW down to luck.
Thats why I said belief too. Get a bit of good luck and the belief can return.
Again, I'm going to have to disagree. Luck plays no part in it.

TW now knows what he believes to be his strongest line-up. Being better organised and actually having a coherent game plan has led to the team knowing what they are doing, and in turn having the confidence to take on teams.

That to me is why we've improved, not a random event falling in our favour triggering a turnaround. That to me doesn't hold up to any sort of reasonable scrutiny.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5177
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:38 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I think a number of factors have helped in giving us a more solid look. They include sticking with a flat back four which the players look much more comfortable with. The three at the back experiment left us looking extremely exposed and starting a game at gainsborough with Thommo as a full back was inexplicable. The settled midfield with Turnbull and Wheatley at the heart is now working very effectively. Starting the vital game at Leamington with Turnbull on the bench and scott in midfield was a mistake that was thankfully rectified in the second half, helping us to turn it around. TW seems to be getting things right now and his signings have improved the side. I'm pleased that we are now showing signs of progress after a shaky start for TW.
Think that sums a lot of it up.

With Wright the signings have been good, he has tried to play what many (even myself) would say is a better style of football (it's results that count though).

The downside is he changed formations/selections so many times that in all honesty at Gainsborough I had no idea what we were trying to do and not sure Wright knew either.

Since then we got closer and closer to teams and did improve but not to the level we are at now. He has fallen across 4 at the back when Brown had to be taken off against Leamington but I guess he has sensibly realised it is working.

I like Wright and it's going well at the moment, I hope it continues.
[url=http://www.backtodarlo.co.uk][img]http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg[/img][/url]

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11338
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 pm

The new signings have made a tremendous difference and that's all down to the management duo. Gramps is clearly a half pint empty person. Long may TW & AW prove him wrong.

User avatar
bigrichiet
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:07 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by bigrichiet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:58 pm

"The harder I work, the luckier I get"
Gary Player

Darlogramps
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 am

bigrichiet wrote:"The harder I work, the luckier I get"
Gary Player
Yep. And the quote is complete bollocks. It's a fictitious, romantic notion that doesn't stand up to intelligent scrutiny.

Luck has nothing to do with success. Organisation, clear strategy and effective execution are more relevant.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:49 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:The new signings have made a tremendous difference and that's all down to the management duo. Gramps is clearly a half pint empty person. Long may TW & AW prove him wrong.
I agree Pete. I would love to be proved wrong and have said so many times on here. Two good performances don't prove anything though.

So if you're going to try trolling me about it, you'll have up your game.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

en passant
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by en passant » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:12 am

Darlogramps wrote:
bigrichiet wrote:"The harder I work, the luckier I get"
Gary Player
Yep. And the quote is complete bollocks. It's a fictitious, romantic notion that doesn't stand up to intelligent scrutiny.

Luck has nothing to do with success. Organisation, clear strategy and effective execution are more relevant.
My understanding of that quotation is that it perfectly agrees with what you are saying. Player was pointing out that it was the hard work he put in that led to his "luck".

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1534
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:43 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:The new signings have made a tremendous difference and that's all down to the management duo. Gramps is clearly a half pint empty person. Long may TW & AW prove him wrong.
Had a chat with Tommy before the game, always engages with us fans unlike you know who, smashing bloke and would love to see him be a massive success with us.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11338
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:09 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:The new signings have made a tremendous difference and that's all down to the management duo. Gramps is clearly a half pint empty person. Long may TW & AW prove him wrong.
Had a chat with Tommy before the game, always engages with us fans unlike you know who, smashing bloke and would love to see him be a massive success with us.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Yep that's what I like about him and Whitey, it's not just a job to them, they genuinely love the club and it's fans. In some ways they are similar to Hodgy.

Darlo-and-Back
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright and White

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:30 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Darlo-and-Back wrote:Is this guy for real!!
Yep, I am.

Feel free to disagree with me of course and I'll disagree with you. And feel free to challenge my point of view and explain why.

But let's not have another thread descend into a bitchfest about me. It happens too regularly.

So, why do you disagree with me?
It was rhetorical. No question mark, no response required.

To be right about it you have a knack of ruining every thread on here. There is a great flow of ideas and info then... Boom, argumentative bullshit.

Note no question mark so no reply required.

banktopp
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Hereford

Re: Wright and White

Post by banktopp » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:48 am

Darlo-and-Back wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Darlo-and-Back wrote:Is this guy for real!!
Yep, I am.

Feel free to disagree with me of course and I'll disagree with you. And feel free to challenge my point of view and explain why.

But let's not have another thread descend into a bitchfest about me. It happens too regularly.

So, why do you disagree with me?
It was rhetorical. No question mark, no response required.

To be right about it you have a knack of ruining every thread on here. There is a great flow of ideas and info then... Boom, argumentative bullshit.

Note no question mark so no reply required.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

tezza
Posts: 967
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Wright and White

Post by tezza » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:22 am

en passant wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
bigrichiet wrote:"The harder I work, the luckier I get"
Gary Player
Yep. And the quote is complete bollocks. It's a fictitious, romantic notion that doesn't stand up to intelligent scrutiny.

Luck has nothing to do with success. Organisation, clear strategy and effective execution are more relevant.
My understanding of that quotation is that it perfectly agrees with what you are saying. Player was pointing out that it was the hard work he put in that led to his "luck".
That is exactly what GP was portraying , i believe it is the ethos most top sports/successful people go by "no substitute for hard work"

Post Reply