Formations for Brackley away

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Formations for Brackley away

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:17 pm

Looking forward to this one and will be there, but our recent injuries and suspensions means that the team does not pick itself so what are our options?

Caton being injured against Bradford PA meant that our threat down the left flank was diminished. Gillies isn't as good at providing assists and beating men. As a result our main threat was Thompson down the right, but we don't have that this Saturday. So:

If we assume Caton isn't fit, do we play Mills and ask him to try and beat men and provide assists down the left flank?
Do we stick with Gillies and accept our main threat will be set pieces?
Do we stick 5 at the back with Brown and grind it out?
Do we play 3 at the back with O'Hanlon bombing forward and throwing caution to the wind?
Is there any option on the right like Thompson? Saunders is quick, so do we as a one off just try him down the right as a lightning quick winger like Thommo to try and beat men and see how he goes, or would he just be outmuscled in this role?
If both our main threats down the flanks are nullified, do we play both Turnbull and Portas (if fit) and play through the middle?

Not an easy choice for TW and AW.

Emdubya

Re: Formations for Brackley away

Post by Emdubya » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:11 pm

Probably nowhere near as complicated as you are making it.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:10 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Looking forward to this one and will be there, but our recent injuries and suspensions means that the team does not pick itself so what are our options?

Caton being injured against Bradford PA meant that our threat down the left flank was diminished. Gillies isn't as good at providing assists and beating men. As a result our main threat was Thompson down the right, but we don't have that this Saturday. So:

If we assume Caton isn't fit, do we play Mills and ask him to try and beat men and provide assists down the left flank?
Do we play 3 at the back with O'Hanlon bombing forward and throwing caution to the wind?
Is there any option on the right like Thompson? Saunders is quick, so do we as a one off just try him down the right as a lightning quick winger like Thommo to try and beat men and see how he goes, or would he just be outmuscled in this role?
If both our main threats down the flanks are nullified, do we play both Turnbull and Portas (if fit) and play through the middle?

Caton was injured against BlythImage

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:12 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Looking forward to this one and will be there, but our recent injuries and suspensions means that the team does not pick itself so what are our options?

Yes, but that is why we pay them to make those difficult decisions.
Brackley have a tight defence so will be difficult to break down. With an upturn in form by Thommo & Caton, it is a pity to disrupt the formation but force of circumstances will give others a chance to step up. Gillies filled a gap at Bradford and Mills has the experience, but so far, has not done enough to get picked ahead of Thommo. This could be his time, with Harvey Saunders on the bench as our attacking option if Styche or Syers need to be subbed.
Two clean sheets in a row mandates the defence should not be changed so main question is midfield. Wheatley continues to improve every game and is building a good understanding with Turnbull, so that leaves us one spot of contention. Brown / Scott as ball winners in front of the back line? Portas if/when fit can create like Turnbull but until proven 100% fit, must be on the bench. Good experience for Bancroft & perhaps another youngster to make the trip anyway, let TW earn his wages. Brackley have stuttered recently and with our recent upturn in form, could be a good time to play them. :thumbup:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:43 am

Give Alun Armstrong / Pete Jameson a call and ask them what they did since they managed to batter Brackley's "tight defence" 3-0!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:05 am

I wouldn't muck about with the formation or the defence. We've finally started keeping clean sheets and limiting the opposition's chances.

I'd probably go with two of Gillies/Mills/Saunders on the wings if Caton and Thompson are unavailable. Possibly even Portas.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 am

Hopefully Caton will be fit for this game. I hope we don't play too defensive and have 5 at the back. There's no way we can defend for 90 minutes against a quality side like Brackley, as we will concede.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:14 pm

If fit then Caton on the left, Gillies on the right. Tommy said to me before the game that Portas keeps breaking down as he is desperate to play before the end of the season (worried re contract expiry) and is rushing himself back. Worst case... if we could find a fit right back then Trotman would be a pacier replacement for Thommo than Gillies ( who I reckon is the most skilfull player in the side but not a battler).
He brought Brownie on to counter the aerial threat of Adam Nowakowski but I’d not start him at the back as the flat four look better than any 3-5-2/5-3-2

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:49 pm

lo36789 wrote:Give Alun Armstrong / Pete Jameson a call and ask them what they did since they managed to batter Brackley's "tight defence" 3-0!
TBF Brackley have joint lowest goals against at 27.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:50 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:If fit then Caton on the left, Gillies on the right. Tommy said to me before the game that Portas keeps breaking down as he is desperate to play before the end of the season (worried re contract expiry) and is rushing himself back. Worst case... if we could find a fit right back then Trotman would be a pacier replacement for Thommo than Gillies ( who I reckon is the most skilfull player in the side but not a battler).
He brought Brownie on to counter the aerial threat of Adam Nowakowski but I’d not start him at the back as the flat four look better than any 3-5-2/5-3-2
If Tom Portas is fit Nick, I would put him in midfield behind the front 2 and Caton or Gillies the wide man, pretty much a 442.If he is not fit then possibly Leon with Wheatley pushing forward.A point is easily achievable IMO, and IF we can get the 3 that would be massive.Still can't get over that Indian on Saturday, £25 for all that, roll on next season!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:05 am

Just realised Brackley playing at home to North Ferriby (Tuesday night) so they could be a little discomforted by the game. Forwards exhausted by too many goal celebrations whilst the defence risking pneumonia, standing around in the cold and damp doing nothing. :D

Also Telford hosting Curzon so one of those will be dropping some points..... ;)

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:39 am

It's all in our hands as the saying goes..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Having looked at the highlights of Brackley at Blyth, I'd like us to just see what Saunders is like on the right. Give him a Thompson like role to use his speed, try and beat players and get the ball in. Blyth got the ball out wide/to the bylines and hurt Brackley that way. It could be the chance this Saturday just to try something different. A number of people have been saying how they feel Saunders hasn't developed as they'd have liked him to, and TW also says he needs to develop his positional play, so this could be just what he needs if given an unexpected chance.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 pm

For Thommo's suspension; I'd prefer Caton to come in on that wing instead of Saunders to be fair. Caton is started to show some of his promise he had in pre-season.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:34 pm

AndyPark wrote:For Thommo's suspension; I'd prefer Caton to come in on that wing instead of Saunders to be fair. Caton is started to show some of his promise he had in pre-season.
I'm assuming Caton will still be injured. I thought Caton was left wing anyway? Can he play both?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 pm

Could be a wall of noise to overcome on Saturday. They are third top, unbeaten at home and won 3-0 on Tuesday... in front of 225 fans. Their super-rich backer must sometimes wonder why he bothers.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:40 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Could be a wall of noise to overcome on Saturday. They are third top, unbeaten at home and won 3-0 on Tuesday... in front of 225 fans. Their super-rich backer must sometimes wonder why he bothers.
I don't know their recent history. are they bankrolled?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:49 pm

To the hilt by Allan Leighton, former chairman of Royal Mail, former CEO of Asda and current chairman of the Co-op. He went to school in Brackley and played for the club in the 1970s.
Good clubhouse at the ground and those fans who do turn up, while few in number, are a welcoming lot.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:43 am

Whilst Brackley is one of the longest trips from Darlo, for the Exiles in the South this is their nearest opportunity to see Quakers who are in a streak of good form. Hope DAFTS will bring enough to match home crowd numbers.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:49 am

jjljks wrote:Whilst Brackley is one of the longest trips from Darlo, for the Exiles in the South this is their nearest opportunity to see Quakers who are in a streak of good form. Hope DAFTS will bring enough to match home crowd numbers.
Yep. Less than an hour away for me!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Sounds like Caton won't be available for Saturday's game.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Pete, did you get that about Caton from Stod in the Echo?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:51 pm

Tough game. Made tougher without Thompson who's been influential in our return to form. Got to stick with what has been working for us in 4-2-3-1. Big opportunities for Gillies and Mills to stake their claim to a starting spot in the team.

On another note from Twitter it looks like Browny has got the flu so looks likely we'll see Vaulks on the bnch in Saturday.

I'd line us up:

----------------------- Pears ---------------------

Trotman -- Heaton - Galbraith - O'hanlon

------------ Turnbull ------ Wheatley ----------

Mills -------------- Syers ------------- Gillies

---------------------- Styche ----------------------

Subs: Bancroft, Vaulks, Scott, Portas, Saunders

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:59 pm

I thought Mills was a left winger? The problem of not having Thommo is that we haven't got a natural right winger. That's why I'm advocating Harvey Saunders as a one off on the right.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Pete, did you get that about Caton from Stod in the Echo?
Yep why? There's no reason to suspect the information is not correct, is there?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Pete, did you get that about Caton from Stod in the Echo?
Yep why? There's no reason to suspect the information is not correct, is there?
No, I just wondered if you'd had an update.