New stand now under construction

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Neil Johnson
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New stand now under construction

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:10 pm

The new extension will provide more seats for families, elderly, disabled of Darlo and makes the ground look a little less tinpot. I suppose some of it may have to be allocated to away support, for segregated games. Those fans who cant handle the ground level "view" now have an option with a side on view. I suppose next building priority would be some modest side terrace, although a match day bar would be a good idea.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Great to see the stand actually looks like a stand and not so much a bike shed now.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Emdubya wrote:Great to see the stand actually looks like a stand and not so much a bike shed now.

Its incredible what a transformation to the aesthetics of the ground the extension to the stand makes. The two sections together look great and improve the look of the ground.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:23 pm

I didn't like the look of the first stand, but have to agree that the additional stand has transformed it's appearance, as it now looks like a proper stand.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:30 pm

Certainly makes the stand look a lot better but most of all improves the seating opportunity.

Not expected to be in use for Kidderminster game due to further work and paving required etc.

Image]

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:00 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Certainly makes the stand look a lot better but most of all improves the seating opportunity.

Not expected to be in use for Kidderminster game due to further work and paving required etc.

Image]
I’ve somewhat lost track of seats, stands, ground grading requirements etc, so forgive the simple question: is this stand, once finished, all that’s needed to make BM play-off/promotion compliant?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:03 am

biccynana wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Certainly makes the stand look a lot better but most of all improves the seating opportunity.

Image]
I’ve somewhat lost track of seats, stands, ground grading requirements etc, so forgive the simple question: is this stand, once finished, all that’s needed to make BM play-off/promotion compliant?
Yes it will.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:39 am

Hope they can remove the barrier behind the hard standing at the West End, so that we can use the grass bank for the Kidderminster game. I think the barrier was in place, to allow heavy equipment to get round for the construction of the new stand.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:41 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
biccynana wrote:

Image]
Yes it will.
:thumbup:

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:51 am

H1987 wrote:I'd imagine the requirements in future will be some kind of area with power sockets, wifi access and a desk area of sorts for journos. Could potentially be built into the stand of course. Filming, perhaps we can get a platform next to it - depends on the restrictions because of the damned pipe. Might be ok as it might not restrict access in the way a stand with foundations would.
Carrier pipe under the pitch was supposed to supply water for future toilets, internet, power etc.
Balcony seems to be the best viewing position for filming and commentary. Also better for displaying ground advertising signs on media, which would improves sales and rates.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:53 am

biccynana wrote:

Image]
yes.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:19 am

Great to see the new stand already has a full row of sponsorship hoardings!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:54 am

Darlo_CR wrote:Great to see the new stand already has a full row of sponsorship hoardings!
One space left but thats already spoken for.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:22 pm

wonder what the potential cost to carry the stand on all the way across that side - it will make the ground so much better.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:28 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:wonder what the potential cost to carry the stand on all the way across that side - it will make the ground so much better.
The pipe says we can't, unless we move it at over £1m+

Problem we have now is between spending further cash on a ground we may not stay at or hang fire until that's sorted.

They are working on plans/pricing ideas around other changes but a big decision need to spend more money if not necessary if you believe the sports-hub may take off.

coles

Post by coles » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:29 pm

The ground is good enough for the next level so for
Me we should focus on putting our house in order so that we can have a tilt at the play offs next year and possibly try for the conference the year after

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:37 pm

coles wrote:The ground is good enough for the next level so for
Me we should focus on putting our house in order so that we can have a tilt at the play offs next year and possibly try for the conference the year after
Ground isn't good enough for the next level yet, presume you meant to be promoted to that level. It needs a number of things to be at Grade A including 2 further turnstiles, another 700 or so on the capacity and a number of other items.

However we would have until March 31st of that season for these items and further funding from the FSIF.

The club and DFCSG are working on a plan for these but the decision to go ahead will have to wait a while.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:52 pm

That extension makes such a difference. It actually looks like a proper stand, not a bus shelter as it did before. :thumbup:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:49 am

H1987 wrote:That extension makes such a difference. It actually looks like a proper stand, not a bus shelter as it did before. :thumbup:
Got to agree it looks superb and hopefully it'll be open for the next home game.

The Quaker

Post by The Quaker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:23 pm

what is the capcity of bm now the stand is complete

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:48 pm

There's 588 seats so presumably we're still at 3,000?

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Talk of bringing the seats over from Bishop. That would further improve the sight lines for spectators.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:05 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:There's 588 seats so presumably we're still at 3,000?
The capacity was 3,299 before the extra seats were fitted. And 3,000 segregated.

I'd guess capacity may be around 100 higher now but will we even get it re-evaluated?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:12 pm

quakerste wrote:Talk of bringing the seats over from Bishop. That would further improve the sight lines for spectators.
Been ruled out, hasn't it? Unless the powers that be are now having a rethink.

Would be the easiest thing all around, and all movable if the sports village ever materialises.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:51 pm

quakerste wrote:Talk of bringing the seats over from Bishop. That would further improve the sight lines for spectators.
Depending on costs obviously and what the future holds but could be a waste of money.

The club are looking into what we need to get to Category A but I can't see us spending anything for a little while now anyhow. We have 5 home games left this season with 5 and half months until a new season starts, we haven't worked out the take up of the new seats as yet.

So many variables to take into account currently, the NDA signed on the sports hub, which division we will be in (should be NLN really), the fact that any grants are not available unless we get promoted to NL, how much more currently the fans/owners can afford after quarter of a million this year.

I would say a summer of taking stock of where we are, although I would love to see some figures around doing something with the open end to see if it's worth it to improve the ground further.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:17 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Depending on costs obviously and what the future holds but could be a waste of money.

The club are looking into what we need to get to Category A but I can't see us spending anything for a little while now anyhow. We have 5 home games left this season with 5 and half months until a new season starts, we haven't worked out the take up of the new seats as yet.

So many variables to take into account currently, the NDA signed on the sports hub, which division we will be in (should be NLN really), the fact that any grants are not available unless we get promoted to NL, how much more currently the fans/owners can afford after quarter of a million this year.
May,June,July and half of August till the new season starts.Dont think that’s five and a half months Les. :problem

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:27 pm

Emdubya wrote: May,June,July and half of August till the new season starts.Dont think that’s five and a half months Les. :problem
Yep but we haven't got through Mar & April yet, so with only a few games left this season we are 5 and 1/2 months away from a new season starting.

Basically the club is in no rush to do anything currently and certainly wouldn't see any return for some time.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:42 pm

I thought it had been completely ruled out? Case closed, we're leaving them. Although i realise the board could have a change of heart with these things. Thing is, if they're saying the stuff we have at BM now is movable should a sports hub happen, the argument that it isn't financially sensible to move those stands at Bishop does look a little tenuous.

The original plan was to move them and put a roof over them, wasn't it? I still don't quite get how it's cheaper to buy a new set and get them delivered than pay some workmen to take those ones apart and move them a few miles to BM and reassemble them. I suspect the truth of the matter is that perhaps it would be trickier than anticipated / costly to put a roof over them, and as they don't count for a lot other than if they have a roof, that was why they were abandoned.

That said, there has to be a case for them being utilised for the improved views they'd offer at Blackwell alone. It was never a problem at HP like it is here.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:47 pm

It'd be nice to have a period of time off from desperately having to put lumps of cash in to the club. Presuming we don't miraculously go on a ridiculous winning run and get promoted this season, the earliest we will need to do anything else at BM (from a ground grading perspective anyway) will be March 2020. And while more elevated viewing options would be more than nice, with crowds around 1500ish there isn't a desperate need for more at this point in time now we've got the extra seats in.

Taking a bit of time off from developing BM would allow us to focus on other areas of the club which need developing, and would also allow us to work out the best way to get Cat A status (and beyond - I'm still personally uncomfortable with the prospect of us spending serious cash on BM when I can't see how it is compatible with a long term aim/goal/dream of a FL place). And it would allow us to see what happens with the sports hub proposal.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:57 pm

Not sure if it’s been asked before, but as a temporary structure would it be allowed to place those seats from Bishop Auckland over the position of the water pipe? If so, even without a roof, would provide better viewing options even without the new sports village conundrum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk