Darlington & North Riding FA County Cup

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington & North Riding FA County Cup

Post by spen666 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Story on BBC about the trophy mentions Darlington with Arthur Wharton winning the competition

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-37083909

Darlo_Pete

Re: Darlington & North Riding FA County Cup

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:40 am

No surprise to find the missing lid it ended up in Middlesbrough. :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:33 am

Wonder how we came to win the North Riding FA County Cup, when as far as I know we've always been in Co. Durham. I wouldn't have thought we'd have qualified?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:38 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Wonder how we came to win the North Riding FA County Cup, when as far as I know we've always been in Co. Durham. I wouldn't have thought we'd have qualified?
Darlington is in the Tees Vally Pete NOT Co Durham..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:48 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Wonder how we came to win the North Riding FA County Cup, when as far as I know we've always been in Co. Durham. I wouldn't have thought we'd have qualified?

I don't think the Tees Valley had even been dreamt of back in the day.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Must've been some sort of weird circumstance that saw us play in it. A bunch of English sides have won the Welsh cup, somehow.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:25 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Darlington is in the Tees Valley Pete NOT Co Durham..
Tees Valley is not a county as far as I am aware. If it's not in County Durham, which county is it in?

It wasn't the North Riding Cup when we won it, it was the Cleveland Cup. Darlo played in both the Cleveland and Durham Cups in those days being affiliated to both football associations. In fact, we also made the final of the Durham Cup that season but lost to Sunderland 1-0 at Sunderland.
Last edited by Makka Pakka on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:55 pm

The Northern Echo, Monday April 4th 1887 wrote:The final for the Cleveland Association Challenge Cup came off at Middlesbrough on Saturday, Darlington vs Darlington St Augustines being the contested teams. Four weeks ago the teams met on the Linthorpe Road ground, when the game ended in a draw, neither side scoring. Darlington then refused to play extra time, and the game was ordered to be replayed on Saturday.
Though much interest was excited in the match, it was perhaps not so marked as on the first occasion the teams met, when feeling ran very high. Notwithstanding this, there was as equally as large an attendance at Saturdays match as on the previous occasion, £96 being taken at the gate against £107. The estimate of the number present verged upon 6,000 people, ladies and members of the Middlesbrough club being admitted free. Two trips were run from Darlington, but these did not contain anything like the number of passages as were conveyed to see the previous match. Everything tended towards an enjoyable game. The weather was fine during the first portion of the game, the sun having much power – perhaps too much – while the ground was in splendid condition. Three thirty was timed for the kick-off, but long before that hour people began to assemble on the field, which quickly began to assume a scene of unwonted animation. The excitement of the people increased as the time for the commencement of the game drew nigh, and it was quite in keeping with their state of feeling that the appearance of either team – about three minutes after 3.30 o’clock – was hailed with unbounded enthusiasm. Both teams had been strengthened since they last faced each other – Darlington in particular. The town club had the assistance of Wharton in goal – a decided acquisition, and one which perhaps more than anything else tended to decide the contest – while certain other alterations had been made in the personnel of the team.
Darlo won 4-1.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
The Northern Echo, Monday April 4th 1887 wrote:The final for the Cleveland Association Challenge Cup came off at Middlesbrough on Saturday, Darlington vs Darlington St Augustines being the contested teams. Four weeks ago the teams met on the Linthorpe Road ground, when the game ended in a draw, neither side scoring. Darlington then refused to play extra time, and the game was ordered to be replayed on Saturday.
Though much interest was excited in the match, it was perhaps not so marked as on the first occasion the teams met, when feeling ran very high. Notwithstanding this, there was as equally as large an attendance at Saturdays match as on the previous occasion, £96 being taken at the gate against £107. The estimate of the number present verged upon 6,000 people, ladies and members of the Middlesbrough club being admitted free. Two trips were run from Darlington, but these did not contain anything like the number of passages as were conveyed to see the previous match. Everything tended towards an enjoyable game. The weather was fine during the first portion of the game, the sun having much power – perhaps too much – while the ground was in splendid condition. Three thirty was timed for the kick-off, but long before that hour people began to assemble on the field, which quickly began to assume a scene of unwonted animation. The excitement of the people increased as the time for the commencement of the game drew nigh, and it was quite in keeping with their state of feeling that the appearance of either team – about three minutes after 3.30 o’clock – was hailed with unbounded enthusiasm. Both teams had been strengthened since they last faced each other – Darlington in particular. The town club had the assistance of Wharton in goal – a decided acquisition, and one which perhaps more than anything else tended to decide the contest – while certain other alterations had been made in the personnel of the team.
Darlo won 4-1.

Thanks for that match report.

Reading it reminded me of the Stuart Hall match reports when he used to be on 5 Live. Wonderful language and entertaining, but at the end you still didn't know the score or what had happened in the game

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:05 am

After witnessing some of our support staying that Chester is in Wales, Southport in Liverpool and Fylde FC being on the coast (not) nothing surprises me, Pete.

RonJeremy
Team Supported: Darlington, Man Utd.

Post by RonJeremy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:07 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Darlington is still ceremonially in County Durham, and was historically in County Durham.
The Borough of Darlington broke away from Durham County Council in 1997 and went as a unitary authority that we have today, Darlington Borough Council. The Tees Valley is just a geographical area.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:33 am

Tees Valley is just a QANGO that provides jobs for the boys and eats up public money.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:55 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:After witnessing some of our support staying that Chester is in Wales, Southport in Liverpool and Fylde FC being on the coast (not) nothing surprises me, Pete.

Chester's ground is in Wales though ... Or part of it is :thumbup:
Think before posting

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:34 pm

Ha, ha, the home end!!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:29 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Ha, ha, the home end!!
Doesn't the border run through part of the Main Stand, meaning the offices and the pitch are in different countries?

http://www.welshnotbritish.com/2014/01/ ... er-fc.html

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:31 pm

I believe that one of their ends is partly in Wales and the other end is in England.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I believe that one of their ends is partly in Wales and the other end is in England.

Not if you look at Google Maps, Yahoo Maps or the Ordance Survey Maps!

Look at the link I provided it has copies of all those maps and others